Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Boston police go undercover on the Internet to stop DIY shows?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 29, 2013 3:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BwaHaHa!!

Boston Punk Zombies Are Watching You!

Passing yourself off as a credible music scenester, on the other hand, is an order of magnitude more difficult. Never mind drug lords—no one can identify a poseur more quickly than a hipster; sniffing out fakes is essentially the entire job description. That's what Boston police are finding out as their bungling efforts to infiltrate the underground rock scene online are being exposed.

• April 28, 2013 10:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THE MOB WAS MAKING MONEY , HAND OVER FIST , IN THE 60'S , ON TEEN CLUBS AND EVEN SHAKING DOWN TEENAGE BANDS. I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH THE SITUATION DIFFERS , TODAY , AS TEEN OR ALL - AGES CLUBS , THE FEW THAT EXIST , ARE NOT THE CASH COWS THEY ONCE WERE .....

THERE WILL ALWAYS BE FUCKING PIMPS EXPLOITING THE YOUTH ON SOME LEVEL. THEY MAY BE ONLY IN THE PLANNING STAGES OF SIPHONING ALL THE MONEY THERE IS TO TAKE FROM BANDS , CLUBS , AND EVEN PROMOTORS , WHO MAY BE AIMED AT A YOUNGER AUDIENCE.YOU CAN BE GUARANTEED THEY'LL NEVER SEE THE INSIDE OF A JAIL CELL.

But ,things are'nt always what they seem. There ARE people who just love the music , and want to give young Artists a break .

The horrific chain of events in Boston only further drives the point home , there
      are far worse things than Rock'n'Roll (Just turn on your radio.).  
      dave said:

Yeah, maybe Boston cops have found out that there're more important things to work on, haha! I was reading a book by a Welshman who's visiting the States, and he talks to a Bartender who tells him, "This is a fairly conservative town, esp. as far as nightlife goes."

I guess this proves it!

IDON MINE said:

Geez, as if Boston wasn't criminal enough to keep hem busy, ha! Seems like they got the idea that the mob has seized Hipster shows for their new big cash in thing, after asbestos removal - and someone has to investigate, hehe.

• April 27, 2013 12:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, maybe Boston cops have found out that there're more important things to work on, haha! I was reading a book by a Welshman who's visiting the States, and he talks to a Bartender who tells him, "This is a fairly conservative town, esp. as far as nightlife goes."

I guess this proves it!

IDON MINE said:

Geez, as if Boston wasn't criminal enough to keep hem busy, ha! Seems like they got the idea that the mob has seized Hipster shows for their new big cash in thing, after asbestos removal - and someone has to investigate, hehe.

• April 27, 2013 6:02 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here for the stir

• April 26, 2013 6:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I thought that if it was noise abatement, as well as licensing, this was a council matter. Here in England, you have to have a licence from the council for live entertainment.

There is something called Form 696, which demands information about the ethnicity and music to be played. It's a risk assessment form and was to determine whether it can go ahead on grounds being free of risk of gang violence or political protest.  

Fergal Sharkey even said:  "We learned that the Metropolitan Police, in conjunction with an organization called London Councils - a representative body for all London borough - at the end of last year jointly wrote to all 33 local London boroughs recommending that they insert some particular wording into their local licensing policy statements." He added that the London Borough of Hillingdon in west London, "tries to make a direct connection not only between crime and disorder and live music, but most astonishingly - I'm still knocked over in disbelief - between live music and the prevention of terrorism."[4][5

While I accept it's well intentioned, it can lead to unintended consequences. What about an orchestra playing Wagner's Ring Cycle being picketed on grounds that Wagner was an anti-Semite? Do the police stop the orchestra from playing to prevent incitement to religious hatred or send the protestors home on grounds of public order? I know you should ideally separate his art from his beliefs or what ever sexual proclivities (think Graham Ovenden, who is now a convicted nonce), but there are people who believe that art is inherently propagandist or a window into their minds.

• March 30, 2013 1:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , son , but Texas is so damn big that Portland , Oregon is a suburb !

Kidding , sorry about that. Did'nt you say you lived in Austin ? In another life , perhaps?

The thing is , frat boys probably walk on water in Portland or Seattle as much as they do in the Texas College towns....Granted , some of em knew they had a good thing , and left the rest of us the Hell alone.  The Northwest is proof that there was a time that frat parties featured kickass music , instead of guys just getting their asses kicked.

dave said:

Er, Portland, Oregon actually...

John Battles said:

OK , Dave lives in Texas , so he knows. The easiest way to get your house party busted , if you've got bands playing , is to have it next door, or relatively close to , a frat party going at three times the volume. You know they're not going to let them take the fall . Not when there's a perfectly good rowdy Indie - Rock concert with a moshpit going and people pissing their names in green beer in the snow. There's this new thing called Ska I've been hearing about , as well , from Boston . Shoot me your 411 , and I'll bring some of my vinyls !  BTW , heard the new Remains 8 Track , yet ?

• March 30, 2013 12:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Er, Portland, Oregon actually...

John Battles said:

OK , Dave lives in Texas , so he knows. The easiest way to get your house party busted , if you've got bands playing , is to have it next door, or relatively close to , a frat party going at three times the volume. You know they're not going to let them take the fall . Not when there's a perfectly good rowdy Indie - Rock concert with a moshpit going and people pissing their names in green beer in the snow. There's this new thing called Ska I've been hearing about , as well , from Boston . Shoot me your 411 , and I'll bring some of my vinyls !  BTW , heard the new Remains 8 Track , yet ?

• March 29, 2013 7:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• March 29, 2013 7:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Seems like something from another era.

On a serious note..... what is the scoop on concert shows and those stores that sell the 12" CDs in Beantown? Going to be there next week for a day or two.

• March 29, 2013 5:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I know, sooo stoopit! FFS, don't these guys have actual CRIME to look out for? 

Downliner song- "He Was A Square" Ain't it the truth!  :D

kopper said:

Hey, what's the 411 on the live local music concert tonight, Dave?

• March 29, 2013 4:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey, what's the 411 on the live local music concert tonight, Dave?

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel