Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: The Seeds feature length documentary to be released this year!!!

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 29, 2013 7:13 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just heard about this last month! It looks incredibly awesome!

http://recordcollectornews.com/2013/02/pushin-too-hard/

Pushin’ Too Hard, a long form documentary about seminal garage band The Seeds, directed by Neil Norman and produced by Alec Palao for the Crescendo Production Company, is scheduled for theatrical and DVD release later this year.

Norman has filmed and recorded all the original Seeds — drummer Rick Andridge, guitarist Jan Savage, Daryl Hooper, their keyboardist and singer/lyricist/ dancer Sky Saxon — from a variety of film, video and audio source tapes.

Also included are clips from interviews with Mark Weitz of the Strawberry Alarm Clock, Johnny Echols from Love, producer Kim Fowley, and Richard France, a roadie from their heyday.

Also taped were interviews with Sky’s brother Robert Marsh and sister Mary Ann Marsh, who revealed reminisced about growing up together in Salt Lake City, Utah, under his birth name, Richard Elvern Marsh.

• April 17, 2013 9:56 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Any idea of the release date???

• April 17, 2013 4:15 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Great news, Gringo! Looking forward to see that one. Thanks for the info.

• April 17, 2013 4:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi Andy,

Just in case you haven't seen it so far - HERE'S a good doc about Love. Cheers.

P.S.

Just saw that Jon S. already posted the info. Oh, well.

• April 10, 2013 3:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , I picked this up when it first came out , in about 1990. Arthur was just trying to make yet another comeback  , but , I don't think he played much , if at all , outside of LA. Good performances , here , but , it did'nt really come together until he hooked up with Baby Lemonade , a few years later. They played in Chicago in '93 or '94 . About 75 people showed up , and Arthur made Baby Lemonade do their own set AFTER he played ,which gave the opener , Lava Sutra , 20 minutes to play , so Lee could go on early. Then , he played for 45 minutes , and refused an encore. But , he looked great and sounded beautiful.

I KNOW THERE WAS THAT ONE TOUR OF CALIFORNIA WITH A REVAMPED LOVE , MUSIC MACHINE , SEEDS , AND STRAWBERRY ALARM CLOCK IN 1986 , I THINK , WHEN THE LA GARAGE SCENE WAS LARGELY GRINDING TO A HALT.

Gringo Starr said:

That's the one ^ - Look what I just found:

https://vimeo.com/27562328

• April 1, 2013 7:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

'Love Story " is pretty good. But ,there's very little period footage . Then again , not much is known to exist. I see where some footage from the 1970 tour of Europe (Supporting Hendrix) is turning up on You Tube. Some people can't get past "Forever Changes" , but I like that era , too.......I see where John Fleckenstein , Love's first Bass player, rejoined The Standells , whom he played with in '67.

• April 1, 2013 3:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You guys rock. Thanks a million for that. Just ordered maself a copy. any other docu's you can recommend, please keep'em comin.

fuckin love this track!

• April 1, 2013 3:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Andy Climax said:

Can I jump in here and say....'Bout fuckin time! Strikes me when the popular media script of the 60's always favours , Morrisson, Joplin, The Beatles, Hendrix, The Stones, the Monkees etc etc. Don't get e wrong, they're all great an fab an groovy etc, but... Done to death??? I yhink so. It really warms the heart then when the perceived 'Underground' get a hearing as well. 'Searching for Sugar Man' was a real point in case here. Hardly anyone had heard or knew of Rodriguez. A damn shame, if you ask me. I may be a bit naïve here but can anyone  recommend any good documentaries on The Animals and Love. I'd pay good money for those

• April 1, 2013 3:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There is 'Love Story'. A documentary made around four years ago. I haven't personally seen it yet. There is also a Pretty Things doc coming out. More about that when I have more info.

Andy Climax said:

Can I jump in here and say....'Bout fuckin time! Strikes me when the popular media script of the 60's always favours , Morrisson, Joplin, The Beatles, Hendrix, The Stones, the Monkees etc etc. Don't get e wrong, they're all great an fab an groovy etc, but... Done to death??? I yhink so. It really warms the heart then when the perceived 'Underground' get a hearing as well. 'Searching for Sugar Man' was a real point in case here. Hardly anyone had heard or knew of Rodriguez. A damn shame, if you ask me. I may be a bit naïve here but can anyone  recommend any good documentaries on The Animals and Love. I'd pay good money for those

• April 1, 2013 2:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• March 31, 2013 8:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ah , that's nice....he treated each photo op as something important , it seems. He had this woman with him that said he was going to produce a record on her (OH - KAY.) when I asked to take a picture with him , so we were , all three , in the shot , as well as Lee Joseph coincidentally popping over Sky's shoulder , like a little cojoined head. But , I told Sky I'd reviewed "Red Planet" , and he gave me a big hug.  When he was in Chicago, I told him I was at the Vegas gig , and again , he gives me a big hug.  A friend told me he had the high pitched nasally voice we know and love , then he had this DEEEEEEP voice , too, when he was trying to get serious.

I think that will turn up , a lot , in the movie. There's an interview , I want to say with Frank Beeson , where Sky talks about what great friends he and Elvis were.. His voice drops , because , to him , he was being serious.

Sorry to detract , I think it would be great if the trailer made it to the Ugly Things anniversary party. What better platform could there be ?

Mike said:

Except when he had me in his arms!

....... he wandered by when we were pulling on some slots and drinking some beers and was kind enough to take a pic with me putting his arm around me and even leaned his head on my shoulder, though my camera sucked and its a bit blurred. Saw him a number of times over the years in LA, but never talked to him. But I will say he seemed much more coherent and with it around that time and had a good band backing him up. Looking forward to this doc.

John Battles said:

He was never seen , at The Rockaround , without at least one , sometimes two , women on his arm. But , even as a much older man , his gentle nature (Barring the Fowley incident.) drew female fans to him.....it all seemed innocent enough , really.

• March 31, 2013 6:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I guess it boils down to a bit better dialog, otherwise we were both good with it. I thought the casting was great. I was explaining to my other half how much the actor looked and acted like the real deal. She's heard me mention his name a few times over the years and got a fairly accurate sample in The Runaways movie. She may have seen him in a doc. or two also. How about The Kim Fowley Story with same actor? Let's see... "The World's Greatest Sinner" was already taken...

John Battles said:

I really thought he did pull it off. HIS DIALOGUE COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER - SCRIPTED , BUT , BY ALL ACCOUNTS , THAT'S HOW HE TALKED TO AND TREATED THE GIRLS. I don't know if they met , and I agree with what you say , that he should have walked away with an understanding of Fowley's character , if they did meet , but , he acted , pretty much , exactly like Fowley when I met him , and other peoples' accounts that I've heard and read. Bottom line is , Fowley's done a lot of bragging on how well that boy portrayed him .......

Glenn Barton said:

Yes, good job but better script for Fowley dialog and more accurate portrayal to fit from all I've heard. I think that guy could have pulled it off. He sure looked the part. He should have spent an afternoon with him. If he did and didn't get him down, it's on the actor!

John Battles said:

Yeah , That's about the size of it. Fowley was polite enuff to me when I met him , but , the guy who played him in the Runaways movie was almost too subtle..... 

Glenn Barton said:

Can't wait for the doc. Wild story about the Rockaround. I guess Fowley courts that kinda' stuff with his charming persona. Still, his sense of humor (as such) and way with words can really crack me up sometimes. Seeds memory from childhood.... riding home at night in the back of our '65 Studebaker Commander... I'm adjusting the time on my plastic Trix non-functional wristwatch cereal box prize while listening to "Pushin' Too Hard" on the radio (KAKC- Tulsa). Now, I can listen to my own band do it live. The Seeds have staying power. Let's do the Time Warp again...

• March 31, 2013 1:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Except when he had me in his arms!

....... he wandered by when we were pulling on some slots and drinking some beers and was kind enough to take a pic with me putting his arm around me and even leaned his head on my shoulder, though my camera sucked and its a bit blurred. Saw him a number of times over the years in LA, but never talked to him. But I will say he seemed much more coherent and with it around that time and had a good band backing him up. Looking forward to this doc.

John Battles said:

He was never seen , at The Rockaround , without at least one , sometimes two , women on his arm. But , even as a much older man , his gentle nature (Barring the Fowley incident.) drew female fans to him.....it all seemed innocent enough , really.

• March 31, 2013 12:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I really thought he did pull it off. HIS DIALOGUE COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER - SCRIPTED , BUT , BY ALL ACCOUNTS , THAT'S HOW HE TALKED TO AND TREATED THE GIRLS. I don't know if they met , and I agree with what you say , that he should have walked away with an understanding of Fowley's character , if they did meet , but , he acted , pretty much , exactly like Fowley when I met him , and other peoples' accounts that I've heard and read. Bottom line is , Fowley's done a lot of bragging on how well that boy portrayed him .......

Glenn Barton said:

Yes, good job but better script for Fowley dialog and more accurate portrayal to fit from all I've heard. I think that guy could have pulled it off. He sure looked the part. He should have spent an afternoon with him. If he did and didn't get him down, it's on the actor!

John Battles said:

Yeah , That's about the size of it. Fowley was polite enuff to me when I met him , but , the guy who played him in the Runaways movie was almost too subtle..... 

Glenn Barton said:

Can't wait for the doc. Wild story about the Rockaround. I guess Fowley courts that kinda' stuff with his charming persona. Still, his sense of humor (as such) and way with words can really crack me up sometimes. Seeds memory from childhood.... riding home at night in the back of our '65 Studebaker Commander... I'm adjusting the time on my plastic Trix non-functional wristwatch cereal box prize while listening to "Pushin' Too Hard" on the radio (KAKC- Tulsa). Now, I can listen to my own band do it live. The Seeds have staying power. Let's do the Time Warp again...

• March 30, 2013 7:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Getting back to the doc, here's what Alec said last week:

Q. I see you're going to present a trailer for the doc at UT's 30th anniversary. Will it also go up on youtube?
      A. That I can't say. Neil is more in charge of the documentary at this current stage, so it is his call.
    • March 30, 2013 7:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

Glenn Barton said:

• March 30, 2013 7:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Great piece. Makes me want to pull out my Seeds Fallin' Off The Edge Of The World comp. I'll have to see what of those Fowley tunes/productions are on Youtube. Had one Fowley comp a few years back that was pretty good. Mostly early/mid 60s. Also... one of his lp's with the biker pose cover. Not as crazy about that one. One line he said in Ugly Things a few years ago has always stayed with me... he was describing the incredible talents of a particular recording engineer and said something akin to this... If I said I wanted to hear the sound on Negroes burning churches, he could do it.

• March 30, 2013 6:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Glenn Barton said:

• March 30, 2013 5:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• March 29, 2013 8:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I heard about this , but , it was so long ago , I forgot about it. I think the story of The Seeds is just as interesting and relevant as that of Love , the monks , or The 13th Floor Elevators.

I'm amazed Kim Fowley had anything good to say. Of course , it was shocking that Sky actually sucker - punched him at The Vegas Rockaround in 2004. I was'nt in the room when this happened , but , the two , very visibly , avoided each other all weekend. Fowley told my friends and I , "You fucking Garage kids ! You just want to jack off and smoke a joint to the new Seeds reissue !" , then he looks at one guy I did'nt know , and asked him , "Are you gonna sit here and tell me you would'nt fuck Brittney Spears if you had the chance?" , to which he replied , "I might fuck her BOYFRIEND , whoever that is at the moment , but , I'm a QUEER!".   Kim did'nt have an answer to that one.  This article is the first time I've ever read ANYONE describing Sky Saxon as "Handsome" , though countless women have said he had irresistable sexual magnetism. He was never seen , at The Rockaround , without at least one , sometimes two , women on his arm. But , even as a much older man , his gentle nature (Barring the Fowley incident.) drew female fans to him.....it all seemed innocent enough , really.

The Big Beat/Ace reissue of "The Seeds" is BAD ASS , by the way. I did'nt understand the line about the album not possibly containing any outtakes. They're there.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel