Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Vinyl to digital equipment

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 25, 2012 2:55 PM CST
    • Untitled

I have found that having a turntable strapped on my back while while jogging is not exactly the best way to go. So I am looking for alternatives to digitize some of my vinyl.  I have been pricing some equipment like the Ion Profile Pro USB turntable (about $100) but was wondering about sound quality. Does anybody have any experience in this and maybe some recommendations? Thanks!

• March 5, 2012 4:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Mine is the lowly 2220B. I am no audiophile by any means, but I will say this, after having an Onkyo reciever for 20 years happily, I did notice a difference when I hooked up that old Marantz. Why? I really don't know, but it sounded better, warmer, to my ears. There may be plenty of other recievers out there that would be just as good too. The old Pioneers seems to be well liked. I have a clean 70's Fischer unit that a friend at work gave me that has two turntable inputs, I have yet to hook it up and give a try though. Unfortuately anything with tube seems to be out of my budget. But with all that said, I bet you will get the most bang for you buck with a good phono cartdidge and needle. That is where some of the DJs here can probably give us better advice.

If you are looking for good info on home hi-fi equip, Audiokarma is a pretty good form.

http://audiokarma.org/

They have lots of old user/maintenance manuals available too.

Audio Karma database

• March 5, 2012 9:06 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yea, I have my Stanton turntable hooked up to a Marantz reciever like Bamalama and then into an aftermarket soundcard on my computer . I bought an expensive program (mostly with my live cassettes in mind) that I haven't nearly mastered, so I think I'd have been better off with a more basic software. I usually save to a WAV file and then make FLAC or MP3s as needed.

• March 2, 2012 5:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I got a Sony USB turntable about 4 years ago.  I am happy with it.  The only issue that I have ever had with it was sometime if the usb cable is to close to fm cable i pick up some radio signals muffled behind the music but other than that very happy!!

• March 1, 2012 11:40 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have my stereo directly connected to my computer. Cost almost nothing - line out from stereo to line-in on my computer. Sounds perfect- just bought a couple of cables from Radio Shack. I have a 1972 Dual turntable and a 1978 Marantz receiver - can't beat the sound as it was made for vinyl. Those USB turntables are complete garbage - even the "pro" models. Most cost-effective option is just to connect your stereo (NOT your turntable!!) to your computer. I make near-archival quality recordings and no crap codecs controlling my sound. I have complete control over the sound. To be fair, I record everything in FLAC but the mp3s sound really good - at least better than most mp3s.

• February 29, 2012 7:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have an Ion and, while I do like it, it is not without its faults.  The number one fault being that a couple of my 45s were not able to be transferred because the turntable has a limit to how far the stylus will go.  On EPs and longer 45s, the record player just stops.  Literally stops.  So, you have a build up of music and then a weird sound and nothing.  I am not complaining too much because it cost me $25 and works well for other 45s and comes with terrific software, but do your homework for a better one.  BTW, I am using it in iTunes on a Mac, which allows you to choose between MP3 and wav files.

ETA:  Mine is obviously not the Pro version, which may be worth the extra $$$

• February 25, 2012 3:44 PM CST
    • Untitled

I run my turntable into a line level preamp and then into my recording interface. Not a cheap option and not for everyone. A lot of those USB turntables have built in MP3 codecs and spit the music out at a set bit rate and of course you still get that MP3 style compression happening which does kill the vinyl dynamic. If you're not a fussy vinyl junkie type then one of those turntables is probably the way to go, but I will say, the listening quality of any record always starts at the stylus. Crap stylus = crap sound.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel