Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: At what age?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 6, 2013 9:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• April 5, 2013 1:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Many , MANY years ago (Almost 30.), a friend said "U2 used to be an underground band , they had that RAW guitar sound like PIL". It's true , my Brother saw them on their first US tour at a small club that probably was'nt even full. They were still "Word of mouth" and UK mags like Trouser Press writing them up.... But , I remember Bone - O calling Flock of Seagulls "Flocks and Flocks of Stealers" for lifting their guitar sound from "A Day Without Me " from "Boy" , which is probably true. They commercialized part of U2's sound , then , U2 did , so , in effect . Flock of Fleagulls , having had hits in America , first ,  sort of paved the way for U2's US conquest......Still , The Edge , as far as I can tell , got a lot of his Guitar sound by taking the "Edge " off Keith Levine's sound on the first two PIL albums.
       Either way , we can stay young of mind , U2 will NOT go away , regardless of age or irrelevance.

Glenn Barton said:

Oh yeah, I had heard that one. It was good for another laugh, though!

John Battles said:

OK. iT'S KIND OF VISUAL , AND INVOLVES DIFFERENT ACCENTS , BUT , NO MATTER , HERE IT GOES......      

Bono is playing at a big benefit show in Scotland. At one point , he starts clapping his hands  , in time with the drummer, and he says , "FOR EVERY TIME I CLAP ME HANDS...ANOTHER CHILD IN AFRICA DIES !". A Scotsman near the stage replies , "THEN , WHY DOON'T YEH STOP , YEH EVIL BAHSTARD ?!!!".

Glenn Barton said:

No, hit me...

John Battles said:

ABSOLUTELY.
      "Bone Load" is pretty funny. I trust , all of you have heard the joke about BONE-LOAD performing in Scotland?  Maybe?
      Glenn Barton said:

I have a friend who wouldn't understand why he's been called Bone-load in these environs. Glad to see there are others who get the same vibe.

John Battles said:

Andy , You SAID it , and you said it so well. AS scary as the thought of Bone-O and Stink having Tantric sex  (With "The Modern Parents" probably there to advise them.) is.... Bone - O , in his egotistical self - absorption , makes like he's John Lennon Incarnate .

In a way , this is true. My Brother was in line with him , once, at a VERY posh restaurant in The Bahamas. They turned Bone-O away , because he was'nt properly attired. When my Brother told them who they'd just turned away , they just LAUGHED , and showed him a picture on the wall , saying "We turned them away , too , because they were'nt dressed." It was a picture of The Fucking Beatles. 

P.S. I think I only saw part of "The Man With Two Brains". Even though he's always worked , Martin's brand of humor wore itself thin in America....To the extent that ,
       even as far back as 1979 , when my Uncle took us to go see him , I half did'nt want to go. And , he was GREAT.
      Andy Climax said:

Bono's a cnut! His royal lowness will outlive life itself no doubt. Him and Sting will make sweet tantric love in the hopes of starting a race of 'super cnuts' put on this earth to bug the fuckin shit outta us with their whining. Early tests are proving positive as Chris Martin (Coldplay) and Newton Faulkner (Uber cnut) are proving haha. 'War' and 'Boy' were two great U2 albums but to mention any others with a straight face is impossible! George wrote 'Here Comes the Sun'. If ever a song would put Bono's career, bullshit and genuine lack of talent into sharp contrast, this is it. We can live in the knowledge that even if U2 last for another 100 years..... The Beatles did it first!!!

p.s The Man With Two Brains, for me was Steve Martin's finest hour (and a half)

• April 5, 2013 10:58 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh yeah, I had heard that one. It was good for another laugh, though!

John Battles said:

OK. iT'S KIND OF VISUAL , AND INVOLVES DIFFERENT ACCENTS , BUT , NO MATTER , HERE IT GOES......      

Bono is playing at a big benefit show in Scotland. At one point , he starts clapping his hands  , in time with the drummer, and he says , "FOR EVERY TIME I CLAP ME HANDS...ANOTHER CHILD IN AFRICA DIES !". A Scotsman near the stage replies , "THEN , WHY DOON'T YEH STOP , YEH EVIL BAHSTARD ?!!!".

Glenn Barton said:

No, hit me...

John Battles said:

ABSOLUTELY.
      "Bone Load" is pretty funny. I trust , all of you have heard the joke about BONE-LOAD performing in Scotland?  Maybe?
      Glenn Barton said:

I have a friend who wouldn't understand why he's been called Bone-load in these environs. Glad to see there are others who get the same vibe.

John Battles said:

Andy , You SAID it , and you said it so well. AS scary as the thought of Bone-O and Stink having Tantric sex  (With "The Modern Parents" probably there to advise them.) is.... Bone - O , in his egotistical self - absorption , makes like he's John Lennon Incarnate .

In a way , this is true. My Brother was in line with him , once, at a VERY posh restaurant in The Bahamas. They turned Bone-O away , because he was'nt properly attired. When my Brother told them who they'd just turned away , they just LAUGHED , and showed him a picture on the wall , saying "We turned them away , too , because they were'nt dressed." It was a picture of The Fucking Beatles. 

P.S. I think I only saw part of "The Man With Two Brains". Even though he's always worked , Martin's brand of humor wore itself thin in America....To the extent that ,
       even as far back as 1979 , when my Uncle took us to go see him , I half did'nt want to go. And , he was GREAT.
      Andy Climax said:

Bono's a cnut! His royal lowness will outlive life itself no doubt. Him and Sting will make sweet tantric love in the hopes of starting a race of 'super cnuts' put on this earth to bug the fuckin shit outta us with their whining. Early tests are proving positive as Chris Martin (Coldplay) and Newton Faulkner (Uber cnut) are proving haha. 'War' and 'Boy' were two great U2 albums but to mention any others with a straight face is impossible! George wrote 'Here Comes the Sun'. If ever a song would put Bono's career, bullshit and genuine lack of talent into sharp contrast, this is it. We can live in the knowledge that even if U2 last for another 100 years..... The Beatles did it first!!!

• April 5, 2013 4:30 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Very well then.. everything is hunky-dory! ;)

Mike said:

Tersicore,

Just playing. Boneva is one of countless prescription meds they pedal directly to consumers on TV here in the states. It's supposed to help with bone density if the side effects don't kill you first. And I'm in that age group too (47).

And I agree, you can do your thing and still take care of biz with your family. In fact I would say that a good majority of my nasty, degenerate punk friends turned out to be pretty good parents in the end. Most of their kids are pretty well adjusted and have their acts together, mine included if I say so myself.

• April 4, 2013 1:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Glenn Barton said:

No, hit me...

John Battles said:

ABSOLUTELY.
      Glenn Barton said:

John Battles said:

Andy Climax said:

• April 4, 2013 10:54 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No, hit me...

John Battles said:

ABSOLUTELY.
      Glenn Barton said:

John Battles said:

Andy Climax said:

• April 4, 2013 1:20 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

ABSOLUTELY.
      Glenn Barton said:

John Battles said:

Andy Climax said:

• April 3, 2013 10:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

Andy Climax said:

• April 3, 2013 7:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Andy Climax said:

• April 3, 2013 7:40 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The day you stop is the day you die.

• April 3, 2013 11:45 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Never. It is hard to explain for those that don't get it but if it is who you are and you are proud of it, why change that? You can hand in your shirts but from your post it seems that your love of the music would remain.

• April 3, 2013 3:59 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• April 2, 2013 8:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

....AND THEY STAB HIM (HARRISON) , WHILE BONO'S GOING TO OUTLIVE US ALL. I'll look out for this. D'ja ever see one called "The Inferiors" , made in England ,  ca. 1996? My friend was in it , but he never mentioned it to me

• April 2, 2013 2:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Made in the early 80's mate. Handmade Films. Totally funded and supported by George Harrison. Fkn amazing film and a real huge cult statusacross here. Y'know kids upbringings here if ya hear them quoting it directly. Richard Griffiths who played Uncle Monty in it died a couple of days ago. a really big loss to British acting. Check this movie out if ya's haven't seen it already.

John Battles said:

I've never seen this , it looks great . When was it made ?  That one character's 'Do looked kinda 80's for the late 60's....Just sayin'.  A friend of mine played Buddy Holly in a BBC movie , and had to explain to the writers that Buddy Holly would NOT have been ordeing egg , bean , bacon and chips at a Lubbock , Texas diner in 1955 , so , there ARE bigger anachronisms about... It was also the end of an era , here in the states , when Woolworth's closed. They still have 'em in Mexico. About 10 years ago , there were Ramones T-shirts everywhere , it was just the thing to do , a lot of people wearing 'em did'nt know who The Ramones were. The other band T's you mentioned , I don't know about , but , it could happen , here....

Andy Climax said:

Am I wrong here? There's a famous line in the fabulous movie 'Withnail & I' which goes 'Its the end of an era man! They're selling Beatles Wigs in Woolworths!' I was in town with my daughter on Sunday. We went into Asda (Wal Mart) and they were selling Ramones t shirts, Sex Pistols T shirts, Smiths T shirts and fucking Pixies sweat shirts Wot the Fuckin Fuck???!!! All the high street stores over here are selling'em. Have our threads and sensibility really became the latest summer must have? Wot really got my goat tho was a t shirt with the classic Che Guivara silhouette, with paint splashes over it and 'I predict a Riot!' printed around it. Don't wanna sound like the cranky old fuck that lives next door, but i'm afraid the kids are being sold a culture that's unreal makes a mockery of the spirit of all that's decent and political! FFS!!!

• April 2, 2013 1:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've never seen this , it looks great . When was it made ?  That one character's 'Do looked kinda 80's for the late 60's....Just sayin'.  A friend of mine played Buddy Holly in a BBC movie , and had to explain to the writers that Buddy Holly would NOT have been ordeing egg , bean , bacon and chips at a Lubbock , Texas diner in 1955 , so , there ARE bigger anachronisms about... It was also the end of an era , here in the states , when Woolworth's closed. They still have 'em in Mexico. About 10 years ago , there were Ramones T-shirts everywhere , it was just the thing to do , a lot of people wearing 'em did'nt know who The Ramones were. The other band T's you mentioned , I don't know about , but , it could happen , here....

Andy Climax said:

Am I wrong here? There's a famous line in the fabulous movie 'Withnail & I' which goes 'Its the end of an era man! They're selling Beatles Wigs in Woolworths!' I was in town with my daughter on Sunday. We went into Asda (Wal Mart) and they were selling Ramones t shirts, Sex Pistols T shirts, Smiths T shirts and fucking Pixies sweat shirts Wot the Fuckin Fuck???!!! All the high street stores over here are selling'em. Have our threads and sensibility really became the latest summer must have? Wot really got my goat tho was a t shirt with the classic Che Guivara silhouette, with paint splashes over it and 'I predict a Riot!' printed around it. Don't wanna sound like the cranky old fuck that lives next door, but i'm afraid the kids are being sold a culture that's unreal makes a mockery of the spirit of all that's decent and political! FFS!!!

• April 2, 2013 12:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , but , it will have evaporated ,by then.
      The shirt , I mean . Hopefully not my body. The band was selling the shirts for only $5 , anyway . I got a couple for my friends , too.
      Glenn Barton said:

Old man shrinkage might work...

John Battles said:

I would be , too , but , it shrunk in the wash , years ago. IF I SHOULD LIVE TO BE  , MAYBE IT'LL FIT , AGAIN !

Glenn Barton said:

I am barely into any of that music but I say NO CUT-OFF! Get burried in it when you are a hundred and five if it's what you like. I'll be wearin' my Blues Magoos T till about then, myself.

• April 2, 2013 12:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Yeah, bummertown. I think people that where Che G shirts are usually pretty clueless about him and history anyways so nothing's really new about that. Malcolm McLaren and Vivienne Westwood were clothing designers, this lifestyle is always going to be a fashion to sell.

Andy Climax said:

• April 2, 2013 9:51 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• March 30, 2013 7:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Old man shrinkage might work...

John Battles said:

I would be , too , but , it shrunk in the wash , years ago. IF I SHOULD LIVE TO BE  , MAYBE IT'LL FIT , AGAIN !

Glenn Barton said:

I am barely into any of that music but I say NO CUT-OFF! Get burried in it when you are a hundred and five if it's what you like. I'll be wearin' my Blues Magoos T till about then, myself.

• March 30, 2013 6:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Glenn Barton said:

• March 30, 2013 5:15 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• March 29, 2013 4:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

All of the above!

• March 28, 2013 6:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Tersicore,

Just playing. Boneva is one of countless prescription meds they pedal directly to consumers on TV here in the states. It's supposed to help with bone density if the side effects don't kill you first. And I'm in that age group too (47).

And I agree, you can do your thing and still take care of biz with your family. In fact I would say that a good majority of my nasty, degenerate punk friends turned out to be pretty good parents in the end. Most of their kids are pretty well adjusted and have their acts together, mine included if I say so myself.

• March 28, 2013 2:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Break your hip on the dance floor !"????
      Sure, i will, sooner or later! ;D

John Battles said:

Boneva? I think it's a rich chocolate ice cream bar , or maybe a limited edition Flintstones car , manufactured in Italy. I'm sure Mike was having a laugh , about medical precautions. I think it's great if people can dance (Not"Mosh") as well as they could 20 years ago , or whenever... I sure as Hell can't. I used to be known as the wildest dancer in town , in my 20's. I seldom dance , anymore. It's embarrassing how BAD I am.

But , they do a , usually yearly , reunion for the two original Punk Clubs in Chicago , O'Banion's and La Mere Vipere.....A lot of the people there are older than I am , in their 50's and even 60's , some of them. Some of them look great , some of them look like Hell.
       Some of the people my age and under look like Hell , too , so , THAT'S not an age thing.

But , James Porter will confirm that some of the older Chicago Punks or ex-Punks or whatever , still get out and have a good time , and look pretty good doing so , besides.

One of these reunion nights had a flyer that said "Break your hip on the dance floor !".

Tersicore said:

Hey Mike! He´s not even 50!! It sounds like you were talking to a 60 or 70 year´s old guy!
      I´m not much younger than Andy but i can tell you: when i dance (jumping and stamping around,  even for hours) you would rarely find a 20year old girl able to compete! ;)
      what´s a Boneva, by the way? no idea!

Mike said:

Andy,

Just make sure you consult your doctor prior to vigorous excercise. Most of these clubs we lurk around don't have defibulators on site. And pop a few Boneva's once in a while so we don't break our hips and we can extend our adolescence a few more decades hopefully.  

• March 28, 2013 2:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Ahhhh. Ok. Well. According to some of the people I mentioned in my familial/professional realm, their cutoff age is a whole lot earlier. 

Gringo Starr said:

Around 45.

Jane Dear said:

I don't even know what exact ages everyone is talking about here anyways. 

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel