Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: At what age?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 28, 2013 2:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Boneva? I think it's a rich chocolate ice cream bar , or maybe a limited edition Flintstones car , manufactured in Italy. I'm sure Mike was having a laugh , about medical precautions. I think it's great if people can dance (Not"Mosh") as well as they could 20 years ago , or whenever... I sure as Hell can't. I used to be known as the wildest dancer in town , in my 20's. I seldom dance , anymore. It's embarrassing how BAD I am.

But , they do a , usually yearly , reunion for the two original Punk Clubs in Chicago , O'Banion's and La Mere Vipere.....A lot of the people there are older than I am , in their 50's and even 60's , some of them. Some of them look great , some of them look like Hell.
       Some of the people my age and under look like Hell , too , so , THAT'S not an age thing.

But , James Porter will confirm that some of the older Chicago Punks or ex-Punks or whatever , still get out and have a good time , and look pretty good doing so , besides.

One of these reunion nights had a flyer that said "Break your hip on the dance floor !".

Tersicore said:

Hey Mike! He´s not even 50!! It sounds like you were talking to a 60 or 70 year´s old guy!
      I´m not much younger than Andy but i can tell you: when i dance (jumping and stamping around,  even for hours) you would rarely find a 20year old girl able to compete! ;)
      what´s a Boneva, by the way? no idea!

Mike said:

Andy,

Just make sure you consult your doctor prior to vigorous excercise. Most of these clubs we lurk around don't have defibulators on site. And pop a few Boneva's once in a while so we don't break our hips and we can extend our adolescence a few more decades hopefully.  

• March 28, 2013 2:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Around 45.

Jane Dear said:

I don't even know what exact ages everyone is talking about here anyways. 

• March 28, 2013 2:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I don't even know what exact ages everyone is talking about here anyways. 

• March 28, 2013 2:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey Mike! He´s not even 50!! It sounds like you were talking to a 60 or 70 year´s old guy!
      I´m not much younger than Andy but i can tell you: when i dance (jumping and stamping around,  even for hours) you would rarely find a 20year old girl able to compete! ;)
      what´s a Boneva, by the way? no idea!

Mike said:

Andy,

Just make sure you consult your doctor prior to vigorous excercise. Most of these clubs we lurk around don't have defibulators on site. And pop a few Boneva's once in a while so we don't break our hips and we can extend our adolescence a few more decades hopefully.  

• March 28, 2013 2:05 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I agree , too. I've known parents who were able to make time to still do the things they enjoyed , while making sure all was well with the kids. My parents were not Rock'n'Roll kids in the 50's . R'n'R was considered ONLY for the kids , back then , and  they were in their 20's , but , I remember , they always had a social life , went out , had friends come over. My Brothers and I would have driven them crazy if they did'nt.  

Tersicore said:

RIGHT! Totally agree! That´s the main thing! 

Jane Dear said:

If you take care of your responsibilities, I don't really see what the problem is. I get my job done, my kid is always safe, things are balanced well, BOOM. 

John Battles said:

Jane , I don't see any contradiction , there. Who has a right to question what you do in your own time , especially when it's constructive ? Kids should be exposed to some cool "Grownups" ANYWAY.  iT DOES MY HEART GOOD TO SEE THEM GET EXCITED ABOUT MUSIC.

• March 28, 2013 1:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Andy,

Just make sure you consult your doctor prior to vigorous excercise. Most of these clubs we lurk around don't have defibulators on site. And pop a few Boneva's once in a while so we don't break our hips and we can extend our adolescence a few more decades hopefully. Yea, I understand the position you are in. Sometimes when talking to coworkers I realise how out of wack I am with popular culture. It's empowering and concerning at the same time. But then I have some friends who are stuck in time and actually very close minded to anything outside the realm of what they have been listening to for a zillion years now. Even though they are far from mainstream they are still trapped in a rigid uniform/lifestyle if you will. So I think the answer to your question is the cut off age is when you are doing it because it is what you have always done vs. what you are still feeling. Which for most of us here may mean never.

• March 28, 2013 10:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

RIGHT! Totally agree! That´s the main thing! 

Jane Dear said:

If you take care of your responsibilities, I don't really see what the problem is. I get my job done, my kid is always safe, things are balanced well, BOOM. 

John Battles said:

Jane , I don't see any contradiction , there. Who has a right to question what you do in your own time , especially when it's constructive ? Kids should be exposed to some cool "Grownups" ANYWAY.  iT DOES MY HEART GOOD TO SEE THEM GET EXCITED ABOUT MUSIC.

• March 28, 2013 9:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

NO, this was beside the point.
      the (right) point is: we need the elder boys for the elder girls!! ;)

Tersicore said:

Yeah! Sure!!! and especially the older one!! They may have a little bit more to tell! ;)

dave said:

We need punks of all ages.

• March 27, 2013 11:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

• March 27, 2013 10:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah! Sure!!! and especially the older one!! They may have a little bit more to tell! ;)

dave said:

• March 27, 2013 8:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

One of my friend's kids is rebelling by shutting out music , completely. I did'nt mean kids should be imitating their parent's "cool" friends , but , they might learn from them.....There's a LOT more access to media than when I was getting into this stuff. When I first saw my little Godchild jumping around the room , happily , to The Ramones , at age 2 , this old Grinch's heart grew to three times it's normal size. That NEVER would have happened when The Ramones were in their heyday , or , if it did , no one alerted the media. 

Andy Climax said:

Yer right. monkey see monkey do! As long as there's a steady stream of cool movies, groovies an tv. As Mr Daltrey said... 'The Kids are Alriiight!' I do worry however about the rebellion years. What will our kids do to rebel??? We had Punk, Goth, Grunge (decent) Hip Hop and Rap, etc. Will they Become Chartered Accountants or worse... POLITICIANS? Aaaaaaaargh! who'd be an adult? I'm off to listen to 'Angry Young Them' Van the Man will guide us! haha

• March 27, 2013 6:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There is no cut off. We have a duty to keep on going. We are the generation that wanted rebellion and individuality. That's not restricted to a certain age group. As long as the hairs on the back of my neck keep indicating to continue I'm there.
    • March 27, 2013 5:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Alex P Keaton!
    • March 27, 2013 4:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yer right. monkey see monkey do! As long as there's a steady stream of cool movies, groovies an tv. As Mr Daltrey said... 'The Kids are Alriiight!' I do worry however about the rebellion years. What will our kids do to rebel??? We had Punk, Goth, Grunge (decent) Hip Hop and Rap, etc. Will they Become Chartered Accountants or worse... POLITICIANS? Aaaaaaaargh! who'd be an adult? I'm off to listen to 'Angry Young Them' Van the Man will guide us! haha

• March 27, 2013 4:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• March 27, 2013 4:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I think a cutoff age is the opposite of rock and roll. This conversation cracks me up. I've gotten heat from friends, family, and professional peers for simultaneously being a dedicated mom and successful "career woman" (what a stupid fucking phrase) and yet still booking shows, staying up late on work nights, spending most of my disposable income on music, and providing food and accommodations for touring bands. Haters gonna hate. 

• March 27, 2013 3:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I saw him last year walking down 6th ave. Chuck Taylors, jeans, Motorcycle jacket... a true Ramone. Then again at another show he looked like a grunge renegade from 1991. 

John Battles said:

Check out the man in your icon photo. The one time I saw Kim Fowley , which was only 10 years ago , his 6 foot , 10th floor frame was draped in shimmering suits , one gold , one red , and the other multicolour - striped , probably hand - tailored in Lagos or somewhere.

I don't know who else could have worn those suits , now that Johnny Thunders is no longer with us.

• March 27, 2013 3:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Word! Stay tru Til Death

Gringo Starr said:

"What and when, in anyone's humble opinion, is the cut off age to this kinda behaviour"

NEVER.

• March 27, 2013 2:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check out the man in your icon photo. The one time I saw Kim Fowley , which was only 10 years ago , his 6 foot , 10th floor frame was draped in shimmering suits , one gold , one red , and the other multicolour - striped , probably hand - tailored in Lagos or somewhere.

I don't know who else could have worn those suits , now that Johnny Thunders is no longer with us.

• March 27, 2013 1:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• March 27, 2013 4:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Are you kidding???
      We are surrounded by bore male-corpse! They are everywhere!
      Older WILD-Guys schould be put on the list of world heritage sites in danger and be protected!!  I´m for the conservation of guys of that ilk! WE NEED YOU ALL! ;)

Keep it real!

• March 26, 2013 7:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm with Gringo; just be yourself at any age, dude.  It's the best way to be!

• March 26, 2013 7:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"What and when, in anyone's humble opinion, is the cut off age to this kinda behaviour"

NEVER.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel