Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: New Oblivians!

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 4, 2012 3:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Eric Friedl starts some rumors in a new Get Bent interview:

Interviewer: And I have to ask, anything you can tell us about the new Oblivians record?

Eric: We’ve secretly been working on it since 1998. It’s our Fleetwood Mac Tusk. People will hate it when it comes out and in 30 years, when it doesn’t matter any more, kids will think it’s really great. Get ready for Techno Oblivians, with Memphis horns!

Link to the full article

• August 27, 2012 1:27 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Now for some good news!

GOLD and fat and slow, haha.

Jarkko Immonen said:

And here we go! I heard back from Greg, and here's a direct quote:

"The Oblivians record is finished and should be out by the end if the year. Reigning Sound album is on the way for next year as well as a new Parting Gifts record!"

IT WON'T BE LONG NOW!! And remember, you heard it first here on Hideout! ;)

Here for the stir

• August 23, 2012 2:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Somebody should at least write a song for 'em called "Fat, Old & Slow"!

electrocute your cock said:

That really should be the title. Can't wait to hear Greg yelling at kids to get off his lawn.

GONER RECORDS said:

Oblivians are fat and old. And slow.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• August 22, 2012 11:23 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

That really should be the title. Can't wait to hear Greg yelling at kids to get off his lawn.

GONER RECORDS said:

Oblivians are fat and old. And slow.

• August 21, 2012 3:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hot Pockets was right! DESPERATION is the album title. Oblivians are fat and old. And slow.

Even the Pagans got better when they got old and fat and slow!

Oblivians are playing Gonerfest 9 on Thursday, Sept 27. See for yourself, you gutter shop faceholes! (also SPITS, NOBUNNY, and a ton of other turkeys. gonerfest.com for more! )

• August 21, 2012 1:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

And here we go! I heard back from Greg, and here's a direct quote:

"The Oblivians record is finished and should be out by the end if the year. Reigning Sound album is on the way for next year as well as a new Parting Gifts record!"

IT WON'T BE LONG NOW!! And remember, you heard it first here on Hideout! ;)

• August 9, 2012 3:58 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Man I wish they would announce some dates... It's been so long just Greg running circles around the subject in interviews etc. Of course Reigning Sound is also working on an album, so we'll see which will come out first. I interviewed Greg for the Finnish Webzine NRGM a couple of weeks a go. He only wanted to do it via email, so I'm still waiting to hear back from him. Man it would be cool if he would make some sorta announcement...

KILL A PUNK FOR ROCK'N'ROLL!!

• July 22, 2012 2:42 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just heard they covered this song on it with Quintron and Miss P.  What I'm imagining is the best song I've heard in years.

• July 9, 2012 1:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Great news!
    • July 9, 2012 11:13 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YES!

• July 8, 2012 4:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

AWESOME I wish they would come somewhere on the west coast to play.

• February 28, 2012 12:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YEP!

electrocute your cock said:

...Hell if they wanna fart into a top hat and record it then by god they will fart into a top hat and record it! Bring the fucker on!

Here for the stir

• February 28, 2012 11:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I can understand some people being a bit wary about a band getting back together and putting out a new record fifteen years after the last one especially when Play 9 Songs was such a great way to go out but the way I look at it is those guys have put out a shitload of great music since then so I an't see them suddenly fucking this up. It's not like they've been away from music all these years. Hell if they wanna fart into a top hat and record it then by god they will fart into a top hat and record it! Bring the fucker on!

• February 28, 2012 10:57 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i need to come here more often.......best news i've read all day! nay, YEAR!!!!!

• February 23, 2012 1:39 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

oblivians = rock n roll  

hallelujah

• February 20, 2012 8:55 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You guys crack me up here!

kopper said:

Thanks! Yeah, I did that show when I was younger and, ya know, much more angstier and stuff. Hot Pockets would've appreciated it, probably. Then. But not now.

Paul said:

I agree with you about the Oblivians ...  also wanted to mention that I stumbled across the archives to your Wayback Machine radio show ... already discovered some bands I was not aware of (like the Peelers) and since I'm from Boston, loved hearing DMZ and LaPeste

Here for the stir

• February 20, 2012 8:14 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Man i WROTE A REAL  good reply and lost it.... damned computers.

BAsically you are right man never considered that listen to angry old dudes moan about the bank repossessing the house and the upcoming prostrate gland check ("Stick Your Finger Up My Arse and Wiggle it" ) were actually better song ideas than any 14year old could have the experience to sing about.   You are right, I am wrong.  

Mark George Harrison said:

Why do only teenagers get to have 'angst?'  Try being nearly 48, portly(not fat!) have two kids, a mortgage, bills, a car and a Lambretta to run, a job and then trying to keep up to date with new records and trying to see bands as well! Stick a divorce in the middle of all that as well!! Teenage angst? can I fit in a third wank before falling out of bed and playing xbox all day! Teenage fuckin' angst!! As im over 30 im off to sell all my records and start listening to Phil Collins and Simply Red or whatever shit that masquerades as music that graces the CD players of the over 30s these days!

nobody ever told all the old blues players to give it up when they got old, and there aint any angstier music than the blues! Is angstier even a word, who cares, im old!

smiley face, as im too old to do one on the keyboard! laugh out loud!

• February 20, 2012 7:48 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks! Yeah, I did that show when I was younger and, ya know, much more angstier and stuff. Hot Pockets would've appreciated it, probably. Then. But not now.

Paul said:

I agree with you about the Oblivians ...  also wanted to mention that I stumbled across the archives to your Wayback Machine radio show ... already discovered some bands I was not aware of (like the Peelers) and since I'm from Boston, loved hearing DMZ and LaPeste

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• February 20, 2012 5:34 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Haha, thanks fer that!

Mark George Harrison said:

Why do only teenagers get to have 'angst?'  Try being nearly 48, portly(not fat!) have two kids, a mortgage, bills, a car and a Lambretta to run, a job and then trying to keep up to date with new records and trying to see bands as well! Stick a divorce in the middle of all that as well!! Teenage angst? can I fit in a third wank before falling out of bed and playing xbox all day! Teenage fuckin' angst!! As im over 30 im off to sell all my records and start listening to Phil Collins and Simply Red or whatever shit that masquerades as music that graces the CD players of the over 30s these days!

nobody ever told all the old blues players to give it up when they got old, and there aint any angstier music than the blues! Is angstier even a word, who cares, im old!

Here for the stir

• February 20, 2012 5:16 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• February 19, 2012 9:07 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• February 15, 2012 2:56 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm super excited about the Oblivians, but I think I'm even more excited about Vengeance records getting that Cramps stuff back in print.

• February 14, 2012 3:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Very cool to have new music from The Oblivians coming out!

• February 14, 2012 2:18 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Fuck Hot Pockets.  

• February 14, 2012 9:21 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Man, I wanted to befriend Hot Pockets, but he seems to be gone.  Seems his garage was not producing the right lead ladened carbon monoxide poisoning gas emissions that your garage does.  I think his opinions were valid.  Surely, garagepunk is and was always a fuck you genre of closed minded backwards looking idiots and being the coolest, ineptest, loudest, cheapskatiest, combo in your area is the pinnacle of uber-fuck-y'all-mainstream-sheep.  I kind of agree with the "what are these old dudes doing pretending to be all teenage angst" sentiment of Mr Pockets.

...and I never listened to the oblivians till today.  I too like my old 50's and 60's shit and past there few bands make the mark for me so I don't even try anymore.  At least Hot Pockets had seen and heard these guys play.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel