Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Daniel Clowes documentary: Nostalgia and Paranoia

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 1, 2012 11:54 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• February 18, 2012 9:11 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

+++ cool of you to post this Kopper! I had totally forgotten about it & it sure is great to see it again!

Here for the stir

• February 18, 2012 9:10 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John... WHO THE HELL HAVEN'T YOU MET, MAAAAAN!? :) Seriously, love hearing all those anecdotes.

+ Those were the days of making shit happen with sweat and blood! Way before you could buy their stuff from Pantheon & the such. When Los Bros and Clowes and Burns started out, they each other were their only motivators: "What is Jaime doing?? Look at that Beto cover! Hey wait up! That issue of Eighball!! Damn we gotta top that!" and so on and so on. Friendly rivalry to boot. They cracked the egg on this modern Comic thing.

The bit in the "DAN PUSSEY!" storyline where Fantagraphics & Los Bros get their fat - way too funny in the midst of all that depressive art/life stuff!

John Battles said:

BTW , Dan told me that my suspicions were correct , that his "Divisible Man " (The only superhero I remember from "Lloyd Llewellyn" apart from the drug - ravaged "Battlin' American") was based on the incredibly bad , but , still incredible ,
       unauthorized "Captain Marvel" character from the mid - 60's (No relation to Fawcett/DC or Marvel's CMs.), who could disassemble his body parts at will.  Yeah.
      John Battles said:

" I don't believe in solutions for my characters , unless they're organic".

Clowes will be the first to tell you , he was influenced by Superhero comics , in ways that are less obvious....When he started out , with "Lloyd Llewellyn" , in the 80's , Independent Comics were on the move , but , barring Clowes , Bagge , The Brothers Hernandez and Friedman , and scant few others, IT WAS ALL ABOUT FUCKING SUPERHEROES...

And , if you were'nt around then , Brothers and Sisters , it was a major pain in the ass trying to find any of 'em. I was , however , lucky enough to live near what'd go on to be the last truly sleazy comic book store in Chicago , Larry's. Ask Dan about it , if you meet him. He'll tell you how great it was. 

Here for the stir

• February 5, 2012 11:51 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BTW , Dan told me that my suspicions were correct , that his "Divisible Man " (The only superhero I remember from "Lloyd Llewellyn" apart from the drug - ravaged "Battlin' American") was based on the incredibly bad , but , still incredible ,
       unauthorized "Captain Marvel" character from the mid - 60's (No relation to Fawcett/DC or Marvel's CMs.), who could disassemble his body parts at will.  Yeah.
      John Battles said:

Clowes will be the first to tell you , he was influenced by Superhero comics , in ways that are less obvious....When he started out , with "Lloyd Llewellyn" , in the 80's , Independent Comics were on the move , but , barring Clowes , Bagge , The Brothers Hernandez and Friedman , and scant few others, IT WAS ALL ABOUT FUCKING SUPERHEROES...

And , if you were'nt around then , Brothers and Sisters , it was a major pain in the ass trying to find any of 'em. I was , however , lucky enough to live near what'd go on to be the last truly sleazy comic book store in Chicago , Larry's. Ask Dan about it , if you meet him. He'll tell you how great it was. 

• February 5, 2012 4:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• February 3, 2012 3:17 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Very cool!  Thanks for posting, Kopper!!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel