Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Favorite song, no more than 2 minutes long

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 12, 2012 6:01 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I'm feeling A.D.D. right now. Gimmie your favorite songs that are 2 minutes or less in length.

• May 12, 2013 6:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Every single song on The Residents' Commercial Album is around a minute long because that's how long most pop songs would be without repetition.

John Battles said:

THE DICKIES HAD QUITE A FEW VERY SHORT SONGS , SOME THAT SEEMED LIKE ALBUM FILLER (I MEAN THAT IN A POSITIVE WAY) LIKE "SHE LOVES ME , SHE LOVES ME NOT" , AND "I'm a Chollo" , which , evenwith the extended percussive break ,  could'nt be over 1:30. Of course , The Residents had a lot of less - challenging songs that clocked in at well under 2:00 , like "Easter Woman" , "(Here I Come ) Constantinople" (BTW , we used to drive the High Schoolers and our Manager crazy ,  playing that in the kitchen of The Pizza Gulag in MTV - occupied 1983.), and "Elvis and His Boss". Speaking of Elvis , his shortest hit must've been "One Broken Heart For Sale". The much - needed final verse exists , but , was omitted , for some reason , making the song about 1:30.

But , keeping it Punk , lest anyone should whine (AS THO' THERE'D BE ANY PUNK W/O ELVIS , GENE , Jerry Lee , etc. , first.) , there's .......

Davie Allan and The Arrows - Blues Theme (vocal) , The Loser's Burial (Both from teh second Wild Angels'Soundtrack album. Both WELL under 2:00.

Suburban Lawns - Janitor , Mom and Dad and God , Intellectual Rock , and, well ,probably half their first and only LP , which still holds up today. OK , maybe it's more NOO WAVE than Punk.

Cichlids - Longtime bargain bin liners , who still warrant your attention. Their one LP is a pretty sturdy mix of Punk , NOO WAVE , and Garage , Bubblegum , and even Rockabilly influences (This was 1980. Almost NONE of that stuff was hip , yet.) . Very short songs include - Missionary Man , Bubble Gum , (Looking for a Good) Jewish Girl , and covers of "14 0r Fight" (Max Frost and The Troopers.) and "Ups and Downs" (Raiders.) ......They had very good taste in covers for the day (They also did "Ubangi Stomp" and "Boots' before the whole world did it....). But , they were lacking in "Punk cred" , being based in Florida (Even though The New York Dolls played their last shows , there.). They reformed a few years ago , there used to be some great footage from the shows on their myspace. Dunno if it's on youtube , now.......

Johnny Lurg said:

Nirvana - Mexican Seafood

Dicks - Lifetime Problems
      Operation Ivy - Jaded

The Monks - Drunken Maria

The (other) Monks - Nice Legs, Shame About Her Face

Secret Hate - The Ballad of Johnny Butt

Descendents - 'Merica

Dead Milkmen - Laundry Song, Gorilla Girl, Dean's Dream

The Dickies - Howdy Doody in the Woodshed

The Vandals - Anarchy Burger

The Reatards - Your So Lewd

• May 11, 2013 2:40 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THE DICKIES HAD QUITE A FEW VERY SHORT SONGS , SOME THAT SEEMED LIKE ALBUM FILLER (I MEAN THAT IN A POSITIVE WAY) LIKE "SHE LOVES ME , SHE LOVES ME NOT" , AND "I'm a Chollo" , which , evenwith the extended percussive break ,  could'nt be over 1:30. Of course , The Residents had a lot of less - challenging songs that clocked in at well under 2:00 , like "Easter Woman" , "(Here I Come ) Constantinople" (BTW , we used to drive the High Schoolers and our Manager crazy ,  playing that in the kitchen of The Pizza Gulag in MTV - occupied 1983.), and "Elvis and His Boss". Speaking of Elvis , his shortest hit must've been "One Broken Heart For Sale". The much - needed final verse exists , but , was omitted , for some reason , making the song about 1:30.

But , keeping it Punk , lest anyone should whine (AS THO' THERE'D BE ANY PUNK W/O ELVIS , GENE , Jerry Lee , etc. , first.) , there's .......

Davie Allan and The Arrows - Blues Theme (vocal) , The Loser's Burial (Both from teh second Wild Angels'Soundtrack album. Both WELL under 2:00.

Suburban Lawns - Janitor , Mom and Dad and God , Intellectual Rock , and, well ,probably half their first and only LP , which still holds up today. OK , maybe it's more NOO WAVE than Punk.

Cichlids - Longtime bargain bin liners , who still warrant your attention. Their one LP is a pretty sturdy mix of Punk , NOO WAVE , and Garage , Bubblegum , and even Rockabilly influences (This was 1980. Almost NONE of that stuff was hip , yet.) . Very short songs include - Missionary Man , Bubble Gum , (Looking for a Good) Jewish Girl , and covers of "14 0r Fight" (Max Frost and The Troopers.) and "Ups and Downs" (Raiders.) ......They had very good taste in covers for the day (They also did "Ubangi Stomp" and "Boots' before the whole world did it....). But , they were lacking in "Punk cred" , being based in Florida (Even though The New York Dolls played their last shows , there.). They reformed a few years ago , there used to be some great footage from the shows on their myspace. Dunno if it's on youtube , now.......

Johnny Lurg said:

Operation Ivy - Jaded

Descendents - 'Merica

• May 11, 2013 5:04 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Operation Ivy - Jaded

Descendents - 'Merica

• January 16, 2013 4:48 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Fugazi´s Instrument Soundtrack has lot of short tracks

I´m so tired:

• January 16, 2013 3:38 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Mau Maus - The Kill off the compilation LP Wargasm

• January 16, 2013 3:01 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 14, 2013 9:50 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh oh oh Buzzcocks-Love you more! :D

• January 11, 2013 12:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 11, 2013 12:19 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , the DVD odf "Transatlantic Feedback" is a must because it has CLEAN copies of All the monks' Beat ! Beat ! Beat! performances . I met the Director at a screening here. Actually , I met him before at the monks' first American concert. He was asking fans what they thought of this incredibly unlikely prospect , on film . I told him "Y2K IST MONK TIME!". HE EVEN REMEMBERED ME SAYING THAT , AND , YET , HE DID'NT USE IT !

Tersicore said:

Here is still called this way i believe. (but i´ve seen some wrong titles on YT-vids)
      I´ve found two version of this song: one running for 1:26 (was a single?-not sure) while on Black Monk Time rec. it runs for over 3 min. But still in this album they have the Drunken Maria (what a beautiful title name;) with 1:48.

Well, i guess Elvis was earlier and for a shorter time in Germany and being all the time in the Army had much less contact to Germans as the Monks did. The Monks remained there after the dismissal from Army, Elvis went back. As well i suppose the Germans in mid 60s were a little drop different than those on late 50s, for the War being a further bit remote.

But definitely, as you correctly said, they have been strong influenced (if not even formed, as it looks to be) by their managers Karl Remy and Walther Niemann, which were into Art. Even Monks themself admit to have been a "Project" of both.
      On the other hand, of course, they were great Subjects!! :)
      I guess you have seen "Monks - The Transatlantic Feedback"? Fantastic Docu.!!! Love it!

John Battles said:

OH , YEAH. IN GERMANY , IT WAS ORIGINALLY CALLED "BOYS ARE BOYS AND GIRLS are Choice".....Seems they changed it to "Girls are Joys" ! Now why did'nt Elvis experience such a culture clash when he was in Germany? Maybe because he was'nt exposed to Dada , Expressionism , and his Manager was'nt a hip German conceptualist ! Dave Day was The ELVIS OF tHE group  , the one who loved to "Mach Shau !" .

Tersicore said:

WoW, very cool Bees´s buzz!!

I guess you´ll like this one, John! :)         (on record < 1:30)

John Battles said:

The Bees - Voices Green and Purple.    The new , authorized , 45 reissue is available in the new Ugly Things. One of the great , early "Bad Trip" songs. 

• January 1, 2013 6:25 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've been nodding in agreement for ten pages here.  So many cool short songs.  Here are a few near the top for me.

The Ziggens - I Took My Mom to the Prom

Matthew Sweet - Bovine Connection

Eddie & The Showmen - Squad Car

The Shambles - I Can't Don't Want To

Elvis Presley - Rip It Up

Man? Or Astro-Man - Name of Numbers

The Nomads - Lights Out

• December 31, 2012 7:54 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here is still called this way i believe. (but i´ve seen some wrong titles on YT-vids)
      I´ve found two version of this song: one running for 1:26 (was a single?-not sure) while on Black Monk Time rec. it runs for over 3 min. But still in this album they have the Drunken Maria (what a beautiful title name;) with 1:48.

Well, i guess Elvis was earlier and for a shorter time in Germany and being all the time in the Army had much less contact to Germans as the Monks did. The Monks remained there after the dismissal from Army, Elvis went back. As well i suppose the Germans in mid 60s were a little drop different than those on late 50s, for the War being a further bit remote.

But definitely, as you correctly said, they have been strong influenced (if not even formed, as it looks to be) by their managers Karl Remy and Walther Niemann, which were into Art. Even Monks themself admit to have been a "Project" of both.
      On the other hand, of course, they were great Subjects!! :)
      I guess you have seen "Monks - The Transatlantic Feedback"? Fantastic Docu.!!! Love it!

John Battles said:

OH , YEAH. IN GERMANY , IT WAS ORIGINALLY CALLED "BOYS ARE BOYS AND GIRLS are Choice".....Seems they changed it to "Girls are Joys" ! Now why did'nt Elvis experience such a culture clash when he was in Germany? Maybe because he was'nt exposed to Dada , Expressionism , and his Manager was'nt a hip German conceptualist ! Dave Day was The ELVIS OF tHE group  , the one who loved to "Mach Shau !" .

Tersicore said:

John Battles said:

The Bees - Voices Green and Purple.    The new , authorized , 45 reissue is available in the new Ugly Things. One of the great , early "Bad Trip" songs. 

• December 31, 2012 2:50 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Tersicore said:

John Battles said:

• December 29, 2012 10:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

• December 29, 2012 2:54 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 26, 2012 7:25 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 25, 2012 7:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"The Letter," the Box Tops
      "Bluebirds Over The Mountain," Ersel Hickey
      "I Want Some More," Chan Romero
      "The Hunch," Mad Mike & the Maniacs
      "Pendleton Man," Royal Pendletons
      "Life Don't Mean Nothin'," Michael & the Messengers
      "Dang Me," Roger Miller

(NOTE: most of these I looked up on my iPod!)

• December 25, 2012 5:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Blues Magoos - "Albert Common is Dead", from their second and best LP , "Electric Comic Book" , which also contained the Thirtysomething second opus , "Intermission". I used to know a guy whose teen band played it in the 60's , when they'd take a break.....

• December 8, 2012 7:09 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i like "Gee Whiz Whilikers Golly Gee" from the Foghorn Leghorn cartoons , where the Beatnik Rooster appears out of nowhere, with a guitar , singing "Gee whiz whilikers golly gee! she's the purdiest thing you see , gee whiz whilikers , golly gee, I love the GUUUUUUUURL - OOP~and she loves meeeeeee''. I DON'T HAVE THAT CARTOON. I think it appeared in two Foghorn Leghorn shorts. I love when Rock'n'Roll gets parodied in the cartoons (Esp. Hanna Barbara.). I looked for it on You Tube ,NUTHIN'. Except Frankie Avalon recorded it , that version is up. I know , you can't wait to look it up.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel