Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Current American Garage punk? Female-fronted garage punk?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 16, 2013 2:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I missed one of your criteria - The Monofones aren't American - oops!  Here's a few amazing and relatively new female-fronted bands:

The Woolly Bandits (from Los Angeles, with Sky Saxon's former backing band)

A Giant Dog (Texas)

Persian Claws (Vermont)

The Love Me Nots (Arizona)

And you're probably familiar with Shannon and the Clams.

Now that I think about it,  there's an impressive number of women in the garage punk scene nowadays.

• March 16, 2013 11:56 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

As far as female-fronted garage punk, two of my current favorites are right here on the Hideout.  Highly recommended!

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (I was at this show, they were dynamite!)

And from Switzerland, The Monofones (awesome fuzz guitar!):

• March 16, 2013 3:08 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi there, for Cramps type bands there's a great Japanese female punk rock 'n' roll band called The 5678s who are great if you've never checked them out. Also, as dave recommended, The Scientists are great - also the first album Kim Salmon made after the Scientists with his band The Surrealists called 'Hit Me With the Surreal Feel' - has some cool, lo-fi cramps style covers of 50s-early 60s stuff.

For more female-fronted garage punk, there was a great band in Bangkok a while ago called Pussy and the Learjets - there are some cool clips of them on YouTube and they released one 7'' single with Metal Postcard Records.

• March 15, 2013 7:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks everyone for your recommendations, it's a shame though that the Scientists and Gore Gore Girls are already disbanded (hopefully there are more bands like them active these days) but anyways I really appreciate it.

If there are any more current female fronted/all female garage rock/punk bands I'd love to hear them too (but by that I don't mean to let the bands with guys out!).

• March 15, 2013 9:22 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No!  "Murder City Nights"!

Dead Boy said:

"Man With The Golden Helmet".

• March 15, 2013 8:29 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're talkin' 'bout "Blood Red River", right?  I can't recall the cover well, but maybe, it was good, so I bought another their single which includes Radio Birdman's cover "Man With The Golden Helmet". :)

John Battles said:

I like La Secta ,from Spain , better than The Scientists....But , I don't listen to

• March 14, 2013 4:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

K-Holes: "Scary" and "female fronted"

• March 14, 2013 1:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like La Secta ,from Spain , better than The Scientists....But , I don't listen to them , anymore , really. That was during the Great Garage Scare of The 90's , before Major Labels STARTED PICKING UP ON WHAT THEY THOUGHT WAS GARAGE.......

Dead Boy said:

If you like the Scientists, the tribute album of them "Set It On Fire: A Tribute To The Scientists" is great, too!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdLHvbbMcwM

http://www.discogs.com/artist/

Sugar+ShackHoneymoon Killers

Crisis said:

but I'll check the Detroit Cobras and the Scientists.

• March 14, 2013 10:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My band The Mad Doctors is a b-movie-themed garage punk band - hopefully you'll dig our stuff! End of shameless self-promotion.

• March 14, 2013 6:15 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thank you for the welcome Gringo Starr, although I'm curious as to why there was such a problem before with this kind of topic but well that's just a story for another day I guess.

Thanks for the recommendations dave, I do know The Avengers and X Ray Spex but I'll check the Detroit Cobras and the Scientists.

And about The Dyes I already know them and I'm really liking how they sound.

So in general I appreciate all your suggestions people, keep' em coming please!

• March 13, 2013 4:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

On all counts - The Dyes , from Chicago. Two women on Guitar , Bass and Vocals , one mighty, mighty man on Drums. Cramps - absorbed , as opposed to just influenced , but , they've got their own thing. An extremely rare ( In Chicago , anyway .) collision of Rockabilly and Garage sounds , covering some songs associated with The Cramps , as well as a great version of Jackie DeShannon's version of Elvis' "Trouble" , and others , but also coming up with the goods , in the songwriting dept. Singer/Guitarist , Lisa , draws from Wanda Jackson , but , sounds like she's chosen evil over goodness .  Kim Fowley recently dubbed her "The Devil's Bride".

• March 13, 2013 1:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Welcome! I'm out-of-the-loop currently on bands, but I can recommend the Spoiled Brats from the '90s, and the Avengers and X-Ray Specs from the '70s.

Also, I think the Detroit Cobras are still around.

As for the Cramps, the Scientists sound a lot like them in their later stage.

• March 13, 2013 7:26 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

First off, welcome to the Hideout Personality Crisis. I just need to quickly inform you guys that I had to close two discussions about Female Fronted Garage Punk. The member that was causing much of the problem is not with us anymore so I'm pretty confident we can give this a third try. Just keep it clean and on-subject (Garage Punk).

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel