Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: SXSW 2012

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 12, 2012 12:14 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, I can't afford that shit either! I guess if you know someone there who'll let you crash at their place, and maybe drive instead of fly, that you could save some money... but that won't work for everyone.

Shtbird said:

So I checked out the website (Never attended a music festival of any sort). Lineup looks pretty fun, I've seen a handful of them on little west coast tours.

But 675 for a Music Badge?

and Hotel Rooms at 150+ a night?

We're talking at least 1500 (including travel, food, drinks, etc.) I don't know about you guys, but I'm dirt poor working class. I can't afford that shit.

Does anyone know of a cheaper way to do this?

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• January 12, 2012 11:49 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I love Shooter! That's good to know. I'm gonna reach out and try to snag him for my showcase!

joey fuckup said:

I know you're focusing on the garage department here, Steve, but Adam Sheets told me that Shooter Jennings will be doing a showcase down there with bands and musicians he's promoting right now. Billy Joe Shaver has signed on, that much I know.

• January 12, 2012 11:43 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You don't have to buy the badge at all. I have never bought one and it's never, ever prevented me from seeing a show I want to see. I'd say 99% of all shows are free and everyone is able to get into them. If you want to do conferences and seminars and stuff, buy the badge. If you're just going to check out bands, don't worry about it!

Shtbird said:

So I checked out the website (Never attended a music festival of any sort). Lineup looks pretty fun, I've seen a handful of them on little west coast tours.

We're talking at least 1500 (including travel, food, drinks, etc.) I don't know about you guys, but I'm dirt poor working class. I can't afford that shit.

• January 12, 2012 11:11 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have a showcase down there again this year. I'll be doing it at The Elysium. One of the awesome bands I'll be having on is the Riverboat Gamblers!! I'm so excited for it. We're gonna have a pig roast and free beer. This year though I'm taking the nanny. I'm a mama and it's tough dragging a baby all over SXSW!

My fave shows are house shows or outdoor BBQ's and stuff. Maybe I'm just old but watching 1000 wasted kids run around isn't so fun anymore. 

If anyone knows of any killer bands looking for a showcase, send them my way! I'm taking submissions now and making decisions at the end of them month. 

• January 12, 2012 12:24 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hope to see you there!

T. Tex Edwards said:

Nervebreakers will be playing Get Hip showcase, Dog & Duck and more...

• January 12, 2012 12:24 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The $675 is for the actual conference. Few buy that outside of industry people.

I think they still sell wristbands that get you in all the shows -- supposedly. I've been turned away from some shows where even the festival badge won't get you in.

But like Eddy said, there are jillions of parties during the day that aren't officially affiliated. Many of these are free and open to the public. I almost always go to the Bloodshot Records party at the Yard Dog gallery. In fact the Yard Dog has shows there almost every day. Lots of labels have daytime shows.

And here's some good news -- most of those daytime parties give you free beer and sometimes food. (I went to this party at the late lamented Las Mananitas restaurant one year -- not sure how I got invited -- that featured Doug Sahm, Augie Meyers, Joe Ely, Freddy Fender and a bunch of great Mexican musicians. They were giving away free tamales and beer. A pretty lady took my beer and opened it for me. I didn't realize for a moment that it was Sandra Bullock. ) 

Also, if you want to stay at one club all night, most, I understand will let the public in for a cover charge. 

I'm a reporter so I've always gotten a comp badge (been there about 10 times since the mid 90s) But I'm almost tempted to try it this year without any badge or wristband to see how I fare.

Can't help much with the price of hotels. My only advice is to make reservations early.

Shtbird said:

• January 11, 2012 11:22 PM CST
    • Untitled

Nervebreakers will be playing Get Hip showcase, Dog & Duck and more...

• January 11, 2012 4:56 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

fuck that shit. nobody should ever pay money to get into a show at SX. there are plenty of free parties/shows going on, just as good if not better bands playing. Also a lot of them are promotional which means free beer, tacos, what have you. from my experience the best plan is not to have a plan. 

that's my two cents

Shtbird said:

• January 11, 2012 3:17 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 11, 2012 1:02 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The French fuzz bands are kick ass these daZe:):)

Gringo Starr said:

The Magnetix from Bordeaux are playing and they are great. Fantastic band and good friends of mine. Check em out:

• January 11, 2012 12:59 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I know for sure Cat Power and Mazzy Star are on the bill!!!!:):):)

• January 10, 2012 11:15 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

DON'T BE TOO SURPRISED IF BUBBLE PUPPY TURN UP , THEY'VE REFORMED RECENTLY, AND SOUND GREAT. Kenny and the Kasuals usually turn up . The Ponderosa Stomp should have a great show planned , as usual. The MONSTER gigs usually are'nt promoted (Stooges , New York Dolls , Rezillos , Saints , Blue Cheer , and so on.....) , or , barely are , but a million people will find out before any of us would , I hate to say. Follow any and all leads

• December 30, 2011 8:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I checked that (Early) lineup. I've heard of maybe three of those bands....But , I guess I'm too old to INDIE - Rock'n'Roll.

• December 28, 2011 3:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

....If you've never been to Austin , you'll have to sell your soul to get a ride in a cab. Can't hail 'em on the street , and , by and large , they'll leave you hanging if you call in. You might want to consider renting a car , or even a bike. Granted , a lotof venues are relatively close together. Used to be ,you could do Austin on foot , for the most part , but , that was only if you were staying near the University.  Freddie Krc is bound to have something interesting up his sleeve.

I don't know if Roky is playing , but , he usually does. Look out for Bubble Puppy , too. They reformed recently , and sound great.

• December 28, 2011 11:41 AM CST
    • Untitled

I know you're focusing on the garage department here, Steve, but Adam Sheets told me that Shooter Jennings will be doing a showcase down there with bands and musicians he's promoting right now. Billy Joe Shaver has signed on, that much I know.

• December 28, 2011 11:24 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Goner Records had a showcase at Beerland at last year's festival. Burger Records, Trouble in Mind, Dirtnap, and In the Red did, too. I'm sure this year will be just as great. If anyone hears of any specific showcases/parties/events, definitely post 'em here.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• December 27, 2011 5:37 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I DO KNOW THE NERVEBREAKERS ARE PLAYING , SO , IF YOU'RE DOWN THERE , LAUGH IN THE FACE OF ANYTHING GOING ON AT THE SAME TIME , AND YOU CAN THANK ME , LATER.

John Battles said:

I saw LAIKA and The Cosmonauts (Different band , entirely) the one time I went to SXSW in '93. That was the only show I had to pay to get into. This was back when you could do that...They had a big Surf night (Before Surf music got done , usually very badly , to death , on account of that move ! HA HA.) with Huevos Rancheros , Insect Surfers (Yawn) , a band whose name I forget feat. Johnny X. Reed ( Guitarist - Roky Erickson , Doug Sahm.), Teisco Del Ray (Whom I sorely had to miss...) , all for $8.  I saw The Naughty Ones (The HOUSE BAND , IF JACK RUBY HAD LIVED TO REOPEN THE CAROUSEL cLUB.), Leroi Bros. , Two Hoots and a Hollar ,  James Luther Dickinson , Exene Cervenka (Doing a reading), and even Roky Erickson's return to the stage for free. I only saw Roky for free , at the Texas Music Awards Show , because I had a friend at one of the radio stations. They had "P" ( Johnny Depp and Gibby Haynes)  follow Roky. I could'nt focus on them , tho' I admire Depp as an Actor , alot. I'd just seen Roky Erickson , and even when not playing at the peak of his powers (Yet.) , he still blew my brain to little bits. NOTHING could follow that.....

But , now , the best shows are secret ,and , I don't even want to imagine what a wristband costs ....There are SOME free shows , like at Antone's Records ,  but , I dunno.....

• December 27, 2011 5:34 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I saw LAIKA and The Cosmonauts (Different band , entirely) the one time I went to SXSW in '93. That was the only show I had to pay to get into. This was back when you could do that...They had a big Surf night (Before Surf music got done , usually very badly , to death , on account of that movIe ! HA HA.) with Huevos Rancheros , Insect Surfers (Yawn) , a band whose name I forget feat. Johnny X. Reed ( Guitarist - Roky Erickson , Doug Sahm.), Teisco Del Ray (Whom I sorely had to miss...) , all for $8.  I saw The Naughty Ones (The HOUSE BAND , IF JACK RUBY HAD LIVED TO REOPEN THE CAROUSEL cLUB.), Leroi Bros. , Two Hoots and a Hollar ,  James Luther Dickinson , Exene Cervenka (Doing a reading), High Noon , and even Roky Erickson's return to the stage for free. I only saw Roky for free , at the Texas Music Awards Show , because I had a friend at one of the radio stations. They had "P" ( Johnny Depp and Gibby Haynes)  follow Roky. I could'nt focus on them , tho' I admire Depp as an Actor , alot. I'd just seen Roky Erickson , and even when not playing at the peak of his powers (Yet.) , he still blew my brain to little bits. NOTHING could follow that.....

But , now , the best shows are secret ,and , I don't even want to imagine what a wristband costs ....There are SOME free shows , like at Antone's Records ,  but , I dunno.....

• December 27, 2011 5:33 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Magnetix from Bordeaux are playing and they are great. Fantastic band and good friends of mine. Check em out:

• December 27, 2011 4:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Cosmonauts!!! 

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel