Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Great Punk Quotes

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 21, 2011 3:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Damn, computer's fucking with me. In the meantime please enjoy this article I just found:

A History of Punk

• April 7, 2013 1:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Exene was one of the first people I heard complain about the dearth of all ages shows , back in the early 80's. She said , in LA , they had a system , if you were underage , you could'nt get a wristband to drink alcohol , but, you could still get into shows (Not all of them ,of course.).  I had to wait until X had been through Dallas/Ft. Worth twice before I could go see them , and the drinking age was only 19 , back then.    For years , all ages shows were an afterthought. Most , if any , were held in the middle of nowhere.....Venues that did'nt serve alcohol , obviously , died the death in a year or less.....

Many years later , in Chicago , they turned a postwar bowling alley into an all ages venue. You just had to be 21 to go in the bar , but , they had soda machines in the lobby , more than a lot of all ages joints had. In fact , Exene and D.J. Bonebrake played there once with Auntie Christ.   I played there ,twice , myself , and brought my friend's 5 year old son onstage to sing "Rock 'n'Roll High School". But , I STILL met younger people who'd bitch and moan about how having one all ages venue was'nt enough.

REV said:

"It's like if you're under 21 you're a second class citizen."

-Exene Cervanka of the band X, referring to their efforts to have all-ages access to their shows

• April 6, 2013 10:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"It's like if you're under 21 you're a second class citizen."

-Exene Cervanka of the band X, referring to their efforts to have all-ages access to their shows

• April 6, 2013 3:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

This is'nt a quote , but , if anybody has a copy of that clip from "Rotten TV" where Roger Ebert walks up to John Lydon , and says , "OH , JOHNNY ! REMEMBER WHEN RUSS MEYER AND I TRIED TO MAKE THAT MOVIE ABOUT THE SEX PISTOLS ?" , and Johnny smiles and waves and says "Yes , yes . VERY NICE. Go away , now. Go away....".

I was at the Rock Against Reagan rally , which The Dead Kennedys played at , in Dallas in 1984.  But , I don't remember Biafra saying anything particularly quotable.

I neglected to mention , the rally was at The Republican Covention in '84.

who else played? Hmmmm. Reagan Youth (They did "Over , Under , Sideways , Down".) , B.G.K. , Mano Negra (Dominican Reggae group.), Cause For Alarm , BOO (Dallas Punk/Dub trio.), Church of The Subgenius , Ladies Against Women (Hilarious local poltical Comedy troupe.)......and a yet - to - go into denial Michelle Shocked , who played independently of this already barely - sanctioned event , and was arrested. I REMEMBER THAT , NOT THE PART ABOUT HER GETTING BUSTED......It was'nt very good .

• April 6, 2013 2:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This is'nt a quote , but , if anybody has a copy of that clip from "Rotten TV" where Roger Ebert walks up to John Lydon , and says , "OH , JOHNNY ! REMEMBER WHEN RUSS MEYER AND I TRIED TO MAKE THAT MOVIE ABOUT THE SEX PISTOLS ?" , and Johnny smiles and waves and says "Yes , yes . VERY NICE. Go away , now. Go away....".

I was at the Rock Against Reagan rally , which The Dead Kennedys played at , in Dallas in 1984.  But , I don't remember Biafra saying anything particularly quotable.

• April 5, 2013 9:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"It's becoming chic to be a fascist"

-Jello Biafra at the protest concert at the Democratic National Convention in San Francisco, 1984, commenting on the fact that 3/4 of the San Diego Padres pitching staff were members of the John Birch Society.

• April 5, 2013 2:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

" Charlie was envious of me , because I'd already played with bands like Love and The Weeds (Lollipop Shoppe)." Bobby Beausoleil.

'If you can't trust a convicted mass - murderer , who CAN you trust?!" (Lux Interior , on learning that John Wayne Gacey had published some of his correspondence without permission.").

"Come on , Charles Manson would have blamed it on The Monkees , and , they were'nt even a GROUP !!!''    Sam Kinison.

• April 4, 2013 4:37 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i am the devil, here to do the devils business......tex watson.

• April 2, 2013 8:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cool. Nice Cramps shoutout , too. When Lux and Ivy were on 120 Mins. with that guy I thought was Morrissey for years , Lux cited their influences as "Everything from Charlie Feathers to The Sex Pistols "......Tho' Bryan Gregory claimed he left The Cramps "Because I found myself liking PIL more than Johnny Burnette.". 

• April 2, 2013 5:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Lydon on The Fall

• April 2, 2013 1:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST THREE - CHORD ROCK'N'ROLL , AS LONG AS THE THREE CHORDS ARE IN THE RIGHT PLACE !".    Hank Hill.    Strickland Propane and Propane Accessories.

doornail said:

If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Mark E. Smith

• March 25, 2013 12:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

'The best part of Beiber ran down his mothers leg!' taxi drivers quote to me, Saturday night, haha

• March 25, 2013 10:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Mark E. Smith

• March 25, 2013 10:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

All those whose mind entitles themselves, And whose main entitle is themselves, Shall feel the wrath of my bombast!
      Mark E. Smith
    • March 23, 2013 4:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"New York had the bands, London had the fashion, Belfast had the reason" - Terri Hooley

• March 17, 2013 3:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I came into this world
      as a puzzled panther
      waiting to be caged
      but something stood in the way
      i was never quite tamed
      Darby Crash
    • March 12, 2013 2:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

That's just so funny.

Jarkko Immonen said:

Haven't read the whole thread so dunno if this one's been posted already. Be as it may, one of my favorite punk moments ever (from the Joe Strummer documentary):

Joe Strummer talking to the camera, backstage, pointing at passed out Bernie Rhodes:

"Look, that's the man who invented punk. Obviously it was too much for him."

• March 12, 2013 12:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Haven't read the whole thread so dunno if this one's been posted already. Be as it may, one of my favorite punk moments ever (from the Joe Strummer documentary):

Joe Strummer talking to the camera, backstage, pointing at passed out Bernie Rhodes:

"Look, that's the man who invented punk. Obviously it was too much for him."

• March 10, 2013 2:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

RT @TEAGUE1926

"The essence of punk rock is making space for a new experience. Punk is the free space between, uncontrolled by profits. #sxsw"

• March 8, 2013 4:59 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"We saw them in England. They were all withdrawing , and their entire equipment setup cost about a Thousand Dollars. That Johnny Rotten's got some interesting phrasing , but , he can't carry a tune. I guess he figured he does'nt have to. He's a Punk , right?

I mean , we like them , but , we don't like to be around people who use drugs. It makes us nervous.'.    Joey Ramone , on The Sex Pistols.

" Johnny Rotten came up to me after their show , and said "What'd ya think?". I said  , "I thought you stunk." . he said , "Yeah ? Well I think YOU stink , too" . Johnny Ramone.

" WE WERE AT A WINE PARTY , EVERYONE DRUNK AND THROWING UP . PUKE ALL OVER THE MEN'S ROOM. SOMEBODY , MAYBE JOHNNY ROTTEN , SAID "D'YA WANT ANYTHING?" , I SAID , "YEAH , I WANT SOME SPEED" . SO , I WAS SNORTING THESE LINES OF SPEED , WHEN SID VICIOUS ASKS ME , "HAVE YOU GOT ANYTHING TO GET HIGH? " , I SAID , "YEAH , I GOT SOME SPEED.". So , he took out a needle , put some of the speed in there , stuck the needle in the toilet , with the puke and piss and everything , shook it up , he did'nt cook it or anything , shot himself up , and he got off. He said , "Wow....where'd you get this stuff?"

Dee Dee Ramone.

'I REALLY THOUGHT THE RAMONES AND THE SEX PISTOLS WERE GOING TO BE THE NEW BEATLES AND STONES."

"THE ONLY BAND I WAS EVER THREATENED BY WAS THE CLASH . THEY GOT SO CLOSE TO US WITH "WHITE RIOT" ".

"THE CLASH USED TO BE A HIGH ENERGY BAND. THEIR FIRST ALBUM WAS GREAT , THE SHOWS WOULD....NOW , YOU BUY A THREE LP  SET , OR WHATEVER , AND THERE IS'NT A FAST SONG IN THE WHOLE PACKAGE !"

JOHNNY RAMONE.

" I THOUGHT THE RAMONES' FIRST ALBUM WAS GREAT. SO , I BOUGHT THE SECOND ONE , AND IT WAS MORE OF THE SAME. WHEN THEIR THIRD ALBUM CAME OUT , I DID'NT BOTHER. "    PAUL SIMONON.

" If The Clash can make the US Top 10  WITH THEIR WORST ALBUM , So can The Ramones.".     "Subterranean Jungle" review.

"WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED THAT THE SEX PISTOLS WOULD HAVE BROKEN UP SO FAST , OR THAT SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES WOULD TURN OUT LIKE LED ZEPPELIN , OR THAT THE DAMNED WOULD BECOME A COMEDY ACT ?"  JOE STRUMMER.

" WHY ARE THESE TEENAGE GIRLS COMING TO SEE US? THEY'VE GOT THE SEX PISTOLS , WHO SPEAK MORE DIRECTLY TO THE YOUTH. "   IAN ANDERSON. 

" I have'nt heard a lot of this Punk Rock stuff , but , I did hear some songs by The Sex Pistols  , and I liked it.  They've got some of those real 50's Rock 'n'Roll beats in there!". Carl Perkins.

"I think The Sex Pistols are pretty groovy . They remind me a lot of Fiorello La Guardia , sure. My favorite Sex Pistols song ? I guess "Hot Cars".  Roky Erickson.

"I don't know Johnny Rotten , but , I'm sure he puts as much blood and sweat into what he does as Sigmund Freud did" .  Iggy Pop.

"The Sex Pistols ripped off The Seeds." Sky Saxon.

• March 7, 2013 2:23 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Walking Tall! Leif Cunt i.e. Leif Pusser.

• March 6, 2013 3:36 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Some girls in a club asked me what I did.   I said , I used to be a Male Prostitute". They said , "Really? What's your name ?
        "Simon Le Bon"     Marc Almond.

Andy Climax said:

Leif Garrett??? He's a cunt! Barry Gibb

• March 6, 2013 3:34 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A FANNY IN THE ENGLISH SENSE ! HERE , HERE.   ROKY HAS ALREADY SPENT WAY TOO MUCH TIME IN JAIL. PUT LEIF IN A PADDED CELL WITH JUST HIS OWN VIDEOS AND RECORDS TO KEEP HIM PREOCCUPIED , SEE HOW LONG HE LASTS.

Andy Climax said:

haha. He was on one of those gawd awful reality (check) programmes over here recently. I hate those fuckin' things. I don't know what he was there to achieve and I doubt he even knew really. Car crash telly at its worst. Even his rawk'n'roll stories were shit! Stick him an Roky in a cell together for the night and good luck to him. Wot a fanny (British translation of the word) haha

John Battles said:

HAVE TO AGREE , THERE. I SAW ON TV , WHERE SOME WOMAN PUT HERSELF ON THE LINE BY ADMITTING SHE WAS STILL A LEIF GARRETT FAN
      SOME 30 YEARS AFTER THEY STAMPED "HASBEEN" ON HIS FOREHEAD. SHE PRESENTED HIM WITH A CLAY BUST OF HIS HEAD THAT SHE'D MADE IN THE 70'S. HE REFUSED IT. 

EVEN SHAUN CASSIDY AND TIMOTHY VAN PATTEN STILL HAVE CAREERS IN SHOW BUSINESS. APART FROM EFFECTIVELY PARODYING GUYS JUST LIKE HIM IN "SPIRIT OF '76" , WHAT THE HELL HAS HE DONE SINCE JIMMY CARTER STEPPED DOWN FROM THE PRESIDENCY ?  I MET A GIRL BACK IN JUNIOR HIGH WHO TOLD ME SHE RAN INTO GARRETT BEFORE A SHOW. "DO YOU PUT YOUR PANTS ON..." , SHE ASKED HIM , "OR DO THEY PAINT THEM ON ?!!".
      Andy Climax said:

Leif Garrett??? He's a cunt! Barry Gibb

• March 6, 2013 3:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Was this YOU? That's a riot. I THINK.

Ludes N. Dudes said:

Ginger Baker, I'm delighted to meet you.

Yeah? I'm not very good at interviews.

Oh well, can we discuss your musical past? Your first instrument was the trumpet...

Naaah, not really.

But you played it a bit, didn't you?

When I was in the Air Cadets, yeah. I wanted to play the drums but they told me I had to play the trumpet.

What was the appeal of the drums in the first place?

I couldn't stand it. I thought it was the most stupid fucking instrument ever in the world, so I didn't want to have anything to do with it ever. And I never have.

I was asking about the drums not the trumpet.

I was talking about the drums. That's what I just fucking told you. I'm an actor, I'm not a drummer.

Do 'Toad! Ginger!
    • March 6, 2013 12:15 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ginger Baker, I'm delighted to meet you.

Yeah? I'm not very good at interviews.

Oh well, can we discuss your musical past? Your first instrument was the trumpet...

Naaah, not really.

But you played it a bit, didn't you?

When I was in the Air Cadets, yeah. I wanted to play the drums but they told me I had to play the trumpet.

What was the appeal of the drums in the first place?

I couldn't stand it. I thought it was the most stupid fucking instrument ever in the world, so I didn't want to have anything to do with it ever. And I never have.

I was asking about the drums not the trumpet.

I was talking about the drums. That's what I just fucking told you. I'm an actor, I'm not a drummer.

Do 'Toad! Ginger!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel