Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: ugliest album covers

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 17, 2011 2:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here are my picks- The Saints, Eternally Yours

Also, the MC5's Kick Out The Jams

And finally, The Sir Douglas Quintet, those boys won't ever win a beauty contest, will they?What are yours?

• April 1, 2013 7:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh , you mean BILL (NOT his real name!) . That's an interesting observation , on his part , or the industry's part.....Color can be used to grab your attention , to entice the buyer , but , I was just telling our friend , Pope (Also not his real name!) , about how colors can really fuck up the whole presentation , in terms of detracting vital information from the consumer (No , I'm getting this from Ralph Nader , tho' I met him in about 1986.).....Case in point , Reverend Horton Heat's most recent (And , very possibly , his best.) CD , "Laughin' and Cryin'". Well , Yep Roc , tho' they host some fine acts , has always been distribution - challenged , so when I could find ONE store in Chicago that had it in stock , I finally had to have somebody show me where it was , because the lettering , in black on medium - dark blue , was impossible to read. You have to think about complementary colors (RED/GREEN , YELLOW /PURPLE , ORANGE /BLUE.) , OR JUST COLORS THAT COMPLEMENT EACH OTHER , SOME THINGS STAND OUT BECAUSE THEY'RE LIGHT , SOME BECAUSE THEY'RE DARK. THIS VELVETT FOGG SLEEVE , NOT ONLY IS IT UGLY , THE COLORS DON'T EVEN WORK TOGETHER , BUT , i'M SURE THAT WAS INTENTIONAL.   THE TRENIERS CD , NOT THE UGLY ONE , THE COLORS ARE SUBDUED , NOT PASTEL , SORTA SEPIA TONE , AND , I THINK , LIGHT BLUE. SOMEBODY DID THEIR JOB.

James Porter said:

A friend of mine who does liner notes for reissues (John, you know him too) once told me that major labels HATE to run black and white photos on covers. It subconsciously keeps younger buyers away. Okay, I admit that a few embellishments here 'n' there don't hurt - say, a black-and-white photo with color print (like Bear Family did for the Treniers), or even a mockup of an old 50s poster (like Sony Legacy did on They Rock!). But that bad colorization job that Sony Special Products used on Rockin' Is Our Bizness is unforgivable, even for a budget label.

• March 25, 2013 12:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Uuuuuurgh! Great album tho.

• March 25, 2013 10:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A friend of mine who does liner notes for reissues (John, you know him too) once told me that major labels HATE to run black and white photos on covers. It subconsciously keeps younger buyers away. Okay, I admit that a few embellishments here 'n' there don't hurt - say, a black-and-white photo with color print (like Bear Family did for the Treniers), or even a mockup of an old 50s poster (like Sony Legacy did on They Rock!). But that bad colorization job that Sony Special Products used on Rockin' Is Our Bizness is unforgivable, even for a budget label.

• March 24, 2013 8:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

James , have you ever known me to stray from the point? Yes , Bear Family (Who , I heard , did'nt take care of the surviving Treniers like Sony did.) did the smart thing , and ran photos from their high energy stage act , while Edsel ran a great full band photo (Tinted , yes , but not like that "Get your picture taken and colorized at the mall" DOG that is the original pic you put up ! ).

James Porter said:

And to bring this back to the original topic: most Treniers reissues I've seen have better covers than the one I reprinted eight posts and three days ago! Pee-yew!!!

• March 24, 2013 8:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I believe it.....It's just that , in most cases , we no longer have to settle for someone recording off his stereo with a hand - held mike.Collectibles has done some good sounding collections , it's true , my mind always wanders back to the great Floyd Dakil comp....but BEWARE , buyer , BEWARE !! Actually , some of the later EVA
       CDs are'nt too bad , at that....There's one on Arthur Lee and Love , with the pre - Love recordings , and the celebrated , unreleased album , "I Don't Want No White Woman" , I mean , "Black Beauty", plus later stuff , like Arthur and Baby Lemonade running thru "Feathered Fish".....They also updated their Little Richie Marsh / Seeds comp to include all The Little Richie March stuff (That is , if you need all of it. Consult Norton first , if so. ) , The Seeds' MGM sides (Mostly great.) all with improved sound (Would like to see Sundazed or somebody release 'em on an EP with improved sound , still....) , and a half - dozen decent live tracks from Sky Saxon's LA invasion of The 80's.
      James Porter said:

I think Collectables has a Treniers compilation in their catalog as well.

Neither Collectables nor Eva are the ultimate reissue labels, although I have heard isolated releases from either that had quality sound, if you can believe that.

• March 24, 2013 8:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Swamp Dogg looks like Tupac on the "Resurrection" cover. Sorry , it's true. Just like it's true Tupac has come back from the dead several times. 

swt said:

I love Swamp Dogg's music, but some of his album covers ...

• March 24, 2013 8:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

And to bring this back to the original topic: most Treniers reissues I've seen have better covers than the one I reprinted eight posts and three days ago! Pee-yew!!!

• March 24, 2013 8:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think Collectables has a Treniers compilation in their catalog as well.

Neither Collectables nor Eva are the ultimate reissue labels, although I have heard isolated releases from either that had quality sound, if you can believe that.

• March 24, 2013 7:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , that's the one....But , there's been a few others , since then , out of Europe , where people appreciate American music. I think the excellent UK budget label , Proper , did one , too. IN ENGLAND , THE COPYRIGHT LAWS WERE LIFTED ON ALL THIS FINE , FINE , ROCK'N'ROLL, C&W AND R'N'B , AND ME AND A CHIMPANZEE , AGREED , WHICH MEANS ENTERPRISING LABELS CAN EXPLOIT MUSIC LEGENDS (NOTHING NEW , THERE. I even had to tell a few people they were on a RHINO compilation. ), BUT , they're doing it with real class. Particularly Proper , who are doing 4 CD sets of rare American and UK ROCK'N'ROLL AND PROTO - Rock'n'Roll  that'll run you back about 12 - 14 Yankee Dollars , here. AND the sound is great. Love me some public domain , but , that's the reason we've always had fer'shit sounding labels like Collectibles (Not always , but , often.) , Eva (ALWAYS.) AND SO FORTH.

• March 22, 2013 10:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The comp that John refers to below is called They Rock! They Roll! They Swing!, which had a better track selection and a WAAAAY better cover than the one I supplied the link to. Which was on Sony's budget label.

John Battles said:

around 1995 , when Sony did a great comp

• March 22, 2013 9:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

James is right. THE SONG "Poontang" ain't no fluke. 

I'm not gonna get on my high horse with the soapbox saddle , but, I'm gonna tell ya.

NO TRENIERS , NO ROCK'N' ROLL. IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY. They started out in 1947 and kept rockin' til 2002 ....THEY'RE THE FIRST , REAL , SELF CONTAINED ROCK'N'ROLL GROUP. YOU'VE GOT WYNONIE HARRIS , LOUIS JORDAN ,  ROY BROWN , BIG JOE TURNER AND THE LIKE , BUT THE TRENIERS HAD THE WHOLE ENCHILADA FOR R'N'R JUST AS THE RAMONES DID FOR PUNK , AS YOU NOTED , dave.

They DID indulge themselves the occasional ballad , as they were working side by side with also - rockin' Louis Prima by the early 50's , in Vegas , Atlantic City , and Wildwood, NJ. , BUT , THEY ALWAYS THREW IN THE OCCASIONAL SLOW SONG , CLIFF TRENIER WAS BILLED AS "THE SEPIA SINATRA" , BUT , HE AND IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER , CLAUDE , WHEN THEY GOT TOGETHER, IT WAS STARK RAVIN' NUTS !!!!  Their Okeh Records material was out of print for centuries. But , around 1995 , when Sony did a great comp , the group started incorporating more of the classic stuff into their set. James and I were both lucky enough to see them , several times , but , their last Chicagoland gig , in 2002 , found an 85 year old Claude pickin' 'em up and laying 'em down. But , if you like the dirty stuff , seek out "The Suitcase Song".
       dave said:

Sounds like a plan, thanks!

James Porter said:

Dave: ALL the Treniers' stuff rocked. "Poontang" was no fluke. Just ask John Battles. However, the album I just printed the link to isn't one of their best. There are other compilations of their essential OKeh/Epic sides, however...

SWT: just about all of Swamp Dogg's album covers were intentionally meant to shock...

• March 22, 2013 12:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sounds like a plan, thanks!

James Porter said:

Dave: ALL the Treniers' stuff rocked. "Poontang" was no fluke. Just ask John Battles. However, the album I just printed the link to isn't one of their best. There are other compilations of their essential OKeh/Epic sides, however...

SWT: just about all of Swamp Dogg's album covers were intentionally meant to shock...

• March 22, 2013 11:26 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• March 21, 2013 3:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I see what ya mean, gag-shop scary! Did their other stuff besides 'Poontang' rock? Haven't heard anything else.

James Porter said:

Oh, I got an ugly album cover for ya. So ugly I'm only gonna print the link.

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_250/MI0000/279/MI0000279535.jp...

See, Cliff and Claude Trenier were handsome dudes, but that colorized B&W picture has got to go!!! Makes them look like they were mounted and stuffed!

• March 21, 2013 5:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here are Witchfinder General plus topless extra starring on the cover of their rather good Death Penalty album:

Even worse, however, is the cover of a great album by D.I.

• March 21, 2013 1:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I love Swamp Dogg's music, but some of his album covers ...

• March 21, 2013 12:42 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Horny Bell Ends. From Utah ? Wow.

dave said:

Maybe not ugly, but scary.

here is the album cover for Utah reggae band Wasnatch's Front to Back. Their music, sadly, does not live up to the promise of the artwork. What could, really? But I bet Wasnatch tear it up on the Utah reggae circuit.

• March 21, 2013 12:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Heino would be proud.

Tersicore said:

I´m at a loss for words! :D

• March 20, 2013 5:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Maybe not ugly, but scary.

here is the album cover for Utah reggae band Wasnatch's Front to Back. Their music, sadly, does not live up to the promise of the artwork. What could, really? But I bet Wasnatch tear it up on the Utah reggae circuit.

• October 3, 2012 5:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I´m at a loss for words! :D

• October 1, 2012 6:01 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Doors ~ The Doors January 4, 1967

• December 30, 2011 11:30 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Taylor Swift's newest live album, looks like shes trying to be some sort of guitar god.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel