Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Frequently Misheard Lyrics

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 28, 2012 4:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I should've guessed that JB, obvious really. Memphis, Micks home town??

John Battles said:

Thank you , M.G.    -     A "SLAB" OR "FULL SLAB" IS A FULL ORDER OF PORK OR BEEF RIBS.    A Half - slab , half of the same.....

I'm surprised they have'nt mentioned that on that program. If they REALLY wanted to see "Man vs. Food" , they should have see me tear away at a full slab at Rendezvous Barbecue in Memphis (Where , just by chance , The Stones have been known to get their 'cue on.).

Mark George Harrison said:

You never fail to put a smile on my face JB! What is a 'full slab?' never heard of that before, and Ive watched a lot of 'man versus food!'

John Battles said:

No , it's true. Mick is from The Deep South . He led the big migration to England that was later followed by The Walker Bros. , Jimi Hendrix , Suzi Quatro and Sparks. He had to take a course in Assimilation , though when he attended The London College of Economics. IN OTHER WORDS , WHEREAS AN ENGLISH PERSON MIGHT SAY "BANGERS AND MASH , PLEASE" , MICK WOULD HAVE SAID , "A FULL SLAB , WITH LOUISIANA HOT SAUCE , CORNBREAD , AND WHAT SIDES HAVE YOU GOT?".

"TEA , milk and sugar , with lemon , if you will".        "Sweet tea , ma'am"

" I SAY , I DON'T ARF FANCY HER !"    "Gaaahhh damn ! She's hot as July Jam".

" I quite like Muddy Waters on Chess Records , me. It'd be an HONOUR  to share the same stage with him , one day....AHHHHH. As if that'll ever happen." 

"Muddy Waters? I filled his car up with Regular , once. Purdy good guy to shoot the shit with.".

Are you trying to imply Micks not from the deep south JB? The ever changing Jagger voice has always amused me, from well spoken middle class young man to naughty cockney to cringe inducing faux American accent. Still, when you've got his money!

John Battles said:

Mark George ,    WHA' , Y'MEAN , SOUTH OF LONDON?

I've been too busy to just look it up , but , for eons (That's aoens in Yankeese.)

I thought Jagger was saying " I'm gonna hit and run rape her in anger"
      (In "Midnight Rambler" ) , which , I thought , even for him , was misogynistic as Hell , though , obviously , not coming from the First Person P.O.V. , but from a role played in the song.     But , then , it occured to me , he was probably saying "Rapier" , as he's reading off a list of weapons ( " Knife - sharpened tipee - toe , shoot 'em dead....cloak and dagger....stick my knife right down your throat".).

I also thought an audience member was saying "CODS , HAM !!! CODS , HAM !!!" , BUT , Rock'n'Roll fucks upyour ears.

Sorry JB, I did wonder at you getting something wrong!

A lot of Jaggers lyrics are hard to decipher due to his 'southern drawl!'

John Battles said:

THAT'S WHAT i WAS SAYING  , THAT THE CORRECT WORD WAS RAPIER , THE WAY I ORIGINALLY HEARD IT , THOUGH , WAS RAZOR.   FROM "HONKY TONK WOMEN ON , IT'S CORRECT LYRIC , FIRST.           ANYONE WANT TO TACKLE "MIDNIGHT RAMBLER , AND STAY FASHIONABLE , WHILE WE'RE AT IT?

Whiskey in the jar is rapier JB, not razor. 

John Battles said:

"Hot and Nasty" , Black Oak Arkansas - "They call me hot and nasty , they call me Mr. Pansy.".       Actual lyric - "They call me Mr. Fancy".

Johnny Thunders (And Walter Lure's Heroes) "Too Much Junkie Business"

"Your the coolest thing in town , with your face flat on the ground. Friends went through your pockets as the coffee went down...."

"...AS THE COFFIN WENT DOWN".

( I thought they were saying "Coffee" in reference the suposedly surefire way to revive an OD victim by pouring hot coffee down their throat , which , reportedly , is how original Dolls Drummer, Billy Murcia , died. ).

"Honky Tonk Women" , YOU KNOW WHO. "I laid a Divorcee in New York City..."

"I LATER DID THE SAME IN NEW YORK CITY....". 

"Whiskey In The Jar" (Trad.) - Dubliners , Thin Lizzy.

" I first produced me pistol , and then produced my rapier." 

"And then produced my razor.''.

David Bowie - "Hang on To Yourself" -     "And we move around like tigers on vaseline"

"If you like f*gg*ts and vaseline".  I'm sorry , that IS what it sounded like until I saw the actual lyrics.

"All The Madmen "- "My libido split on me , give me some good old lobotomy."

"And The Beatles split on me...." (Very topical for 1971.)

"Ziggy Stardust" - "He could lick 'em by smiling....." . Do I have to say it?

"The kids were just crass"     "The kids were just crap.".

"Suffragette City"  "AW , DOOGIE , DON'T CRASH HERE"  

"There's usually dope 'round here....".

"Width of a Circle"    'To which he laughed insane "Kahlil Gibran".

"To which he laughed and said "God's will , children."

Romeo Void (I forget the song.)    "Get THAT JERK OFF YOUR MIND" (Do I have to say it?).

• July 27, 2012 10:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thank you , M.G.    -     A "SLAB" OR "FULL SLAB" IS A FULL ORDER OF PORK OR BEEF RIBS.    A Half - slab , half of the same.....

I'm surprised they have'nt mentioned that on that program. If they REALLY wanted to see "Man vs. Food" , they should have see me tear away at a full slab at Rendezvous Barbecue in Memphis (Where , just by chance , The Stones have been known to get their 'cue on.).

You never fail to put a smile on my face JB! What is a 'full slab?' never heard of that before, and Ive watched a lot of 'man versus food!'

John Battles said:

No , it's true. Mick is from The Deep South . He led the big migration to England that was later followed by The Walker Bros. , Jimi Hendrix , Suzi Quatro and Sparks. He had to take a course in Assimilation , though when he attended The London College of Economics. IN OTHER WORDS , WHEREAS AN ENGLISH PERSON MIGHT SAY "BANGERS AND MASH , PLEASE" , MICK WOULD HAVE SAID , "A FULL SLAB , WITH LOUISIANA HOT SAUCE , CORNBREAD , AND WHAT SIDES HAVE YOU GOT?".

" I quite like Muddy Waters on Chess Records , me. It'd be an HONOUR  to share the same stage with him , one day....AHHHHH. As if that'll ever happen." 

"Muddy Waters? I filled his car up with Regular , once. Purdy good guy to shoot the shit with.".

Are you trying to imply Micks not from the deep south JB? The ever changing Jagger voice has always amused me, from well spoken middle class young man to naughty cockney to cringe inducing faux American accent. Still, when you've got his money!

John Battles said:

I've been too busy to just look it up , but , for eons (That's aoens in Yankeese.)

(In "Midnight Rambler" ) , which , I thought , even for him , was misogynistic as Hell , though , obviously , not coming from the First Person P.O.V. , but from a role played in the song.     But , then , it occured to me , he was probably saying "Rapier" , as he's reading off a list of weapons ( " Knife - sharpened tipee - toe , shoot 'em dead....cloak and dagger....stick my knife right down your throat".).

I also thought an audience member was saying "CODS , HAM !!! CODS , HAM !!!" , BUT , Rock'n'Roll fucks upyour ears.

John Battles said:

THAT'S WHAT i WAS SAYING  , THAT THE CORRECT WORD WAS RAPIER , THE WAY I ORIGINALLY HEARD IT , THOUGH , WAS RAZOR.   FROM "HONKY TONK WOMEN ON , IT'S CORRECT LYRIC , FIRST.           ANYONE WANT TO TACKLE "MIDNIGHT RAMBLER , AND STAY FASHIONABLE , WHILE WE'RE AT IT?

John Battles said:

"Hot and Nasty" , Black Oak Arkansas - "They call me hot and nasty , they call me Mr. Pansy.".       Actual lyric - "They call me Mr. Fancy".

"Your the coolest thing in town , with your face flat on the ground. Friends went through your pockets as the coffee went down...."

( I thought they were saying "Coffee" in reference the suposedly surefire way to revive an OD victim by pouring hot coffee down their throat , which , reportedly , is how original Dolls Drummer, Billy Murcia , died. ).

David Bowie - "Hang on To Yourself" -     "And we move around like tigers on vaseline"

"If you like f*gg*ts and vaseline".  I'm sorry , that IS what it sounded like until I saw the actual lyrics.

Romeo Void (I forget the song.)    "Get THAT JERK OFF YOUR MIND" (Do I have to say it?).

• July 26, 2012 3:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

• July 25, 2012 3:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

• July 25, 2012 1:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

• July 24, 2012 7:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

• July 24, 2012 2:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

• July 24, 2012 2:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THAT'S PRETTY GOOD. i THOUGHT , THOUGH , THAT IT WAS "KNOW A SPOT AND WE LIKE IT A LOT ON THE WEEKEND....". Then , they go to the nightspot and get turned away for not having ties on.  Of course , Eddie's new Geordie friend , SID , told the security guy "Oi ! 'I've gorra tie , have'n I? It's in me RING , yeh daft bastard ! Yeh wanna PULL on it , or what?! ".

Another Eddie Cochran one is 'weekend, 'no-ones farting like it a lot on the weekend!' obviously its fighting but EC's drawl an'all!

• July 24, 2012 2:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

• July 24, 2012 2:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No ! But , that's doubly funny , since I almost got my ass kicked , the first time I went to San Antonio. THE NEXT TWO TIMES , i GUESS MY REDNECK REPELLENT WAS WORKING.

juicylungs said:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, 

Metallica "Welcome home Sanitarium"  In high school I would sing,

San Antonio, leave me be

San Antonio, just leave me alone..........

• July 24, 2012 9:34 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Another Eddie Cochran one is 'weekend, 'no-ones farting like it a lot on the weekend!' obviously its fighting but EC's drawl an'all!

• July 24, 2012 9:31 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

• July 23, 2012 8:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Not sure if this has been posted yet, 

Metallica "Welcome home Sanitarium"  In high school I would sing,

San Antonio, leave me be

San Antonio, just leave me alone..........

• July 23, 2012 6:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• June 15, 2012 5:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Stevie Miller thing is great. My Brother pulled a Chris Farley on Miller , once - "Stevie Miller! When you did "Big Ol Jet Airliner"...THAT WAS AWESOME !!!". And he BOUGHT it ,too!.
      The Nevermores said:

when I was a kid my friend mark told me about a song by the rolling stones called "I ain't Jeff" turned out to be "angie"

also a great mishearing of steve miller's big ol jet air liner:

"BINGO JET HAD A LIGHT ON"

• June 15, 2012 5:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

when I was a kid my friend mark told me about a song by the rolling stones called "I ain't Jeff" turned out to be "angie"

also a great mishearing of steve miller's big ol jet air liner:

"BINGO JET HAD A LIGHT ON"

• June 11, 2012 6:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Funny thread, and the funniest is that we non-native speakers are always trying to interpret, decipher or fitting any possible phrases to the vocal melody. One hilarious example has to do with RATM's "killing in the name". In the chorus he sings "now you do what they told ya" and the phonetics are quite close to the phrase in Spanish "la guatona tetona" which would mean something like "the big-titted fatty". When a kid, whenever it was broadcast we would always laugh and sing it aloud.

And, there's another example with Grease's "You're the one that I want" but it's a bit gross.

Cheers.

• May 21, 2012 3:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What's funny , tho' I'm centuries past caring about Madness , I read that they DID have a following among members The National Front , not at their own solicitation , of course.

Reportedly , they took an apolitical stance regarding their prescence at gigs. I'm sure they were pressured to say or do something ,as Rock Against Racism was in full gear. They were in a unique , somewhat unlikeable , position , being the only Two - Tone band with no Black members. That was frowned upon , somewhat. But , "The Naziest sound around !" , that's very funny !

• May 20, 2012 5:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh man, couple a good ones there, hahaha!

RJFait said:

Speaking of Madness, there was also "the naziest sound around." Let's pretend they weren't on Two Tone Records and that 'naziest' is even a real word.

John Battles said:

The Dicks , tho' I never cared for 'em much , were anything but racist. Tho' I did hear some White Power music fans say The Dicks were White Power because they wore Klan robes , which was a joke , of course. Don't think the KKK would've been to thrilled to have a Gay Cross - dresser as a supporter. I did'nt know how to bring it up , but there are , of course , several songs that SOUND like they contain the "N" WORD. "Good Guys Don't Wear White" by The Standells. My friend who was in HS when that  came out said EVERYONE thought  they said that...I thought "In The Middle of The Night" by MADNESS WAS ABOUT A NATIONAL FRONT - TYPE , BUT, LATER REALIZED HE WAS SAYING " Nicker(s)" , something we don't say in the states , meaning underwear....It's an "Arnold Layne" type story.HA HA HA.

RJFait said:

This is funny. Other that "don't need a cure" I can't imagine anyone actually thinking any of these are the correct lyrics. I had a friend who thought "Kind of a Drag" was an advert for ginger ale. "Canada Dry, when your baby don't love you." I've known quite a few people who that The Dicks were racist because they heard one letter different in "I hate cops, they're all fucking piggers." The first time I saw "The Wall" I misheard "Digger" and thought, "What a horrible name for a dog... and it's not even black."

Here for the stir

• May 20, 2012 12:46 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Speaking of Madness, there was also "the naziest sound around." Let's pretend they weren't on Two Tone Records and that 'naziest' is even a real word.

John Battles said:

The Dicks , tho' I never cared for 'em much , were anything but racist. Tho' I did hear some White Power music fans say The Dicks were White Power because they wore Klan robes , which was a joke , of course. Don't think the KKK would've been to thrilled to have a Gay Cross - dresser as a supporter. I did'nt know how to bring it up , but there are , of course , several songs that SOUND like they contain the "N" WORD. "Good Guys Don't Wear White" by The Standells. My friend who was in HS when that  came out said EVERYONE thought  they said that...I thought "In The Middle of The Night" by MADNESS WAS ABOUT A NATIONAL FRONT - TYPE , BUT, LATER REALIZED HE WAS SAYING " Nicker(s)" , something we don't say in the states , meaning underwear....It's an "Arnold Layne" type story.HA HA HA.

RJFait said:

This is funny. Other that "don't need a cure" I can't imagine anyone actually thinking any of these are the correct lyrics. I had a friend who thought "Kind of a Drag" was an advert for ginger ale. "Canada Dry, when your baby don't love you." I've known quite a few people who that The Dicks were racist because they heard one letter different in "I hate cops, they're all fucking piggers." The first time I saw "The Wall" I misheard "Digger" and thought, "What a horrible name for a dog... and it's not even black."

• May 19, 2012 11:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

RJFait said:

• May 18, 2012 9:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• May 18, 2012 5:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Don , I don't know where "Handjob" came from (Tho' rumor had it "Juju Hand" was  about hand jobs.). Do you mean where he said 'Hattie told Mattie"..... I heard "I wanna Hold Your Hand " as "I get high", or , rather , a clever way to make it SOUND like that. Of course , a year later , "It's Only Love"said "I get High when I see you go by"....

We used to laughour asses off to (sic) "Gie Liebe Dicht" , or "She Loves You" in German. "She Lick Dick , YEAH ! YEAH ! YEAH !".

Don said:

The other threads got me thinking Beatles. The sheet music to I Want to Hold Your Hand says "Its such a feeling that my love, I can't hide."  I always hear (to this day) "I get high."

And no band of the sixties would do Wooly Bully without screamin out "hand job."  What Sam really cried out I have no idea.

:)

-Don

• May 17, 2012 6:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The other threads got me thinking Beatles. The sheet music to I Want to Hold Your Hand says "Its such a feeling that my love, I can't hide."  I always hear (to this day) "I get high."

And no band of the sixties would do Wooly Bully without screamin out "hand job."  What Sam really cried out I have no idea.

:)

-Don

• May 17, 2012 4:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i THOUGHT OF SOME MORE RAMONES MISINTERPRETATIONS FROM MY YOUTH (I MOSTLY HAD THE PORTUGESE RECORDS AND TAPES THAT HAD NO LYRIC SHETS.), John.

Cretin Hop - "WE'RE THE NUMBER ONE RELIGION."

"GONNA GO FOR A WHIRL WITH MY CRETIN GIRL" .

Glad To See You Go - "Don't want you cause you're a whore."   "......a bore".

oh , oh , I Love Her So- "SO i TOOK HER TO CARNY TOWN" "So I took the car downtown.".

Carbona Not Glue "Ran out of Paint and rug spray , too" "Ran out of paint and roach spray , too" . (Dan Clowes used this same gag in the original "Ghost World " COMIC WHEN Enid"Goes Punk" for a day.)

What's Your Game "I thought you were the one to be , just like the othergirls , you see".

"And all you ever want to be is like the other girls you see" (It's not funny , because it still works.).

Commando - First rule is - no lox in Germany.

Second rule is - been Nazi bombin'

Third  rule is - Don't Go to College

Fourth Rule is -  it's not quite knowledge.

53rd and 3rd  "Now The cops are after me , but I pretend I'm on TV".      

'......BUT , i PROVED THAT i'M NO SISSY".   

It's Not My Place (In The  9 TO 5 WORLD) -  "Roger Corman's on a talk show , with Alan Arkbush and Steven King, you know".

"With ALAN ALDA and Steven King..."

All is Qiet on The Eastern Front -   'Can't you think ,I'm a movie star."

"Get your feet , I'm all messed up."

(Can't you think , my movements talk....)

We're a Happy Family "Cokin' down Broad Street " " Gulpin' Down Thorazines"

''Our Christmas Card's a Sin " "No Christmas to send..."  

Why is it Always This Way?   "Hey , Hey , Hey. What is it on the TV?"   

"Hey , Hey , Hey , why is it always this way?"

"And she swallowed a bottle of formaldehyde".

"Now she's lying in a bottle of formaldehyde".              

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel