Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Frequently Misheard Lyrics

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 28, 2011 11:28 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I also thought " I Wanna Be Sedated" went  "I get it from my teachers , I get it from my friends, oh , no , oh , no oh ohhh", which said it all when I was in High School.

Now , when I hear it at the GROCERY STORE , I have to chuckle.

John Battles said:

A friend of mine found some Hurriganes records in the late 70's. The record store clerk told him , "If you like those guys , I know a band you'd love....THE PIRATES.". 

The Raw Cuts said:

But what I really wanna know is...what is he singing? The mighty Hurriganes!!!

• December 28, 2011 11:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A friend of mine found some Hurriganes records in the late 70's. The record store clerk told him , "If you like those guys , I know a band you'd love....THE PIRATES.". 

The Raw Cuts said:

• December 28, 2011 11:20 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey , could I reprint that in Roctober ? You'd be credited , of course.

Bibliodiscoteque said:

My godson used to sing the Misfits' Attitude as "Attitude You got some MONKEY attitude" I never though to correct her and now the song has a new meaning. 

• December 26, 2011 2:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's funny you should say that , an old ex - friend and I were listening to "Alternative Ulster " , and he heard it as "A tail of RED LOBSTER " ! Jake Burns is , or was , living here in town...I wonder if anyone ever told him that.

SarahJayne said:

"a tale of a lobster" ~ an old friends mom's rendition of Stiff Little Fingers 'alternative ulster'

• December 26, 2011 12:24 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"a tale of a lobster" ~ an old friends mom's rendition of Stiff Little Fingers 'alternative ulster'

• December 25, 2011 8:56 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There were a few misheard F-Bombs in the 60's.

Bobby Fuller Four - "I Fought The Law"  "I miss my baby and a good fuck" ("..and her GOOD FUN.". ). Yes , The BF4 DID record a version with an "F- Bomb" , but , of course , that was not the hit single version. IF THEY'D HAVE DONE THAT , BOBBY MIGHT HAVE BEEN MURDERED SOONER THAN HE ACTUALLY WAS.

Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels - "Sock It To Me , Baby"  "Every time you kiss me , hits me like a FUCK!")  ("Hits me like a punch.".).

And the FAR lesser known Ron Haydock's "99 Chicks" - "99 Chicks , and it's just my luck , ain't one o' these chicks I'd want to FUCK!". Again , there was a dirty version , and a clean version (Where the F- word is replaced by brief silence.) , but , all 37 people who heard the original single when it came out , did not hear an F-Bomb.

Oh , yeah , there's "The King of Fuh" by Brute Force. It was on Apple Records. Does'nt mean it would have got airplay if he had'nt said "Fuh King" over and over ....

The Who's version of Mose Allison's "Young Man Blues" must have got some FM airplay , even tho' Daltrey says "They got sweeeeeeeeet FUCK - ALL !!!". That's not a phrase commonly used in the States , so Deejays could have said it was something else when The FCC came a- knockin'.

My Dad had a business associate that told me , back in the 50's , "You were'nt cool at my school unless you'd heard that new Gene Vincent record , "Lotta Lovin'" , that goes "Well , I wanna , wanna lotta , lotta FUGGIN' !"....Of course , Gene did'nt say that , and he did'nt say "Fuggin'' on "Woman Love" , either , but , as if almost losing his leg was'nt bad enough , between the censors and the Musician's Union , Gene  had virtually no career at all in The U.S. by the very early 60's.

• December 25, 2011 1:18 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thank you , Mina , for liking this. MERRY CHRISTMAS , EVERYBODY.

• December 25, 2011 1:17 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Listened to "Drive In Show " the other day , it sounds like "Penis" the first time , then , he enunciates the "T" in "Peanuts" clearly , the second time. He knew he was getting away with murder.

John Battles said:

That's a classic ! I knew he was saying "Peanuts" , he HAD to be...but , it always sounded like "I'll bet my penis to a candy bar...". Good early example. Someone asked me which song did I think had the first F-Bomb. I was'nt sure , but , "Shave 'em Dry" (Early 30'S) is posilutely FILTHY.

Mark George Harrison said:

In Eddie Cochrans Drive in show theres a line which sounds like 'took my penis to the candy bar!'  its actually  'i'll bet my peanuts to a candy bar' which I just had to look up after 30 odd years of wondering! God bless t'internet!

• December 18, 2011 3:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I heard really good things about these guys , too. I heard right . I think he's just saying "Turn on ! Turn on , baby!", but the rest of it....That's like trying to figure out "Get Out of Denver" !

The Raw Cuts said:

• December 18, 2011 3:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Somehow , that still sounds hilarious (Great song , mind you) , but , that 's what it's all about , here , misheard lyrics. BTW , I just read that Laibach ordered a LIGHT BEER. Is that possible?

The Raw Cuts said:

You heard that wrong, it's 'as' like in 'Las' not 'aus' ;-)

Soda in Germany is often used when someone wants sodawater. Just one of many mistakes zee Germans do when speaking Änglisch.

Or , not exactly misheard , but , The Rattles with "Las Vegas"- "LA LA LA LA , AUS ! AUS ! LAS VEGAS !!"  ("From , From Las Vegas ?!") , and "HAVE A WHISKEY ! HAVE A SODA !"  (I THINK THEY MEANT "HAVE A WHISKEY SODA" OR "HAVE A WHISKEY AND SODA", but , maybe it did'nt break down that way , to them......For which , I'm grateful.

• December 18, 2011 2:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 18, 2011 2:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You heard that wrong, it's 'as' like in 'Las' not 'aus' ;-)

Soda in Germany is often used when someone wants sodawater. Just one of many mistakes zee Germans do when speaking Änglisch.

Or , not exactly misheard , but , The Rattles with "Las Vegas"- "LA LA LA LA , AUS ! AUS ! LAS VEGAS !!"  ("From , From Las Vegas ?!") , and "HAVE A WHISKEY ! HAVE A SODA !"  (I THINK THEY MEANT "HAVE A WHISKEY SODA" OR "HAVE A WHISKEY AND SODA", but , maybe it did'nt break down that way , to them......For which , I'm grateful.

• December 17, 2011 6:40 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You were right not to correct your Godchild , I think. Now it's got MONKEY meaning !

I TURNED INTO A MONKEY - OH , WHOA , OH !...... My friend had his little girl sing "Iron Man" for us , built it up like a big production , and she goes , "OZZY lost his mind....".

Bibliodiscoteque said:

My godson used to sing the Misfits' Attitude as "Attitude You got some MONKEY attitude" I never though to correct her and now the song has a new meaning. 

• December 17, 2011 4:51 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 17, 2011 4:40 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Fred , God bless him , has got "Beans in his ears" , too , from playing loud music for so many years. What was the line "...And he's taking my place" ? I have'nt heard it in a while.

Then , there's your countrymen , The Dukes , with "I'm an Unskilled Worker" - "Every day , when I'm alone , I just become a lazy bone"....Oh , wait , that IS what he said.

The Raw Cuts said:

A friend back in Germany thought for reasons unknown to me that Fred Cole sings in 'Walking On My Grave' 'there's a new kid on the block and he's drinking my blood'. He must have had beans in his ears(a famous German saying).

• December 17, 2011 4:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A friend back in Germany thought for reasons unknown to me that Fred Cole sings in 'Walking On My Grave' 'there's a new kid on the block and he's drinking my blood'. He must have had beans in his ears(a famous German saying).

• December 17, 2011 3:37 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's hilarious. I think the closest Johnny got to that was on "Stations of The Cross" where he's doing yet another live version of "Do You Love Me" , dedicating it to HenryVIII.

Johnny: Yew broke mah HAHHT cuz ah cud'nt dance....SO AH FUCKIN' CUT YER HEAD OFF !!!.......Ah kin Mash POTATAH , AH KIN DO DA TWIST !

Walter : DO THE TWIST !

Johnny : Ah kin cut yuh head off ! Ah could fuck yo' bitch ! (??)

Walter : I could make you piss ! (BOTH) TELL MEEEEEE , TELL MEEEE .......

MikeL said:

I have a good one.  Remember "Do You Love Me?" by the Contours?  The line that says, "I can mash potato," well, I seriously thought the singer sang "I'm a masturbator" when I first heard that song:)  I wondered to myself at the time, "How did they get away with releasing that song in 1962?"  I wonder if Johnny Thunders ever thought to sing it that way.

• December 16, 2011 4:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

LOL, that's even better than my misunderstood lyric:)

In Eddie Cochrans Drive in show theres a line which sounds like 'took my penis to the candy bar!'  its actually  'i'll bet my peanuts to a candy bar' which I just had to look up after 30 odd years of wondering! God bless t'internet!

• December 16, 2011 4:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have a good one.  Remember "Do You Love Me?" by the Contours?  The line that says, "I can mash potato," well, I seriously thought the singer sang "I'm a masturbator" when I first heard that song:)  I wondered to myself at the time, "How did they get away with releasing that song in 1962?"  I wonder if Johnny Thunders ever thought to sing it that way.

• December 16, 2011 1:51 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's a classic ! I knew he was saying "Peanuts" , he HAD to be...but , it always sounded like "I'll bet my penis to a candy bar...". Good early example. Someone asked me which song did I think had the first F-Bomb. I was'nt sure , but , "Shave 'em Dry" (Early 30'S) is posilutely FILTHY.

• December 16, 2011 1:42 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 16, 2011 1:42 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

is this the real life, is this just Battersea..?

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel