Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Good Garage Zines

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 23, 2011 1:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I am trying to see if i can get my hands on any cool garage punk zines i dont know of any local ones in omaha so is there any good ones i should start with?

Mitch

• January 20, 2012 6:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

When is the next Mongrel Zine coming out??? Better be before the next issue of What Wave.......lol...

• January 20, 2012 6:21 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

Outside / Inside , by Beverly Paterson , a fun D.I.Y. ZINE , WITH INTERVIEWS WITH MEMBERS OF PAUL REVERE AND THE RAIDERS , WAILERS , CASTAWAYS , BLUE CHEER , LARRY AND THE BLUE NOTES , THE SONICS , THE SEEDS ,AND MANY OTHERS. PATERSON ALSO HAD A ONE - SHOT BUBBLEGUM ZINE. LOTS OF PASSION AND ENTHUSIASM . FOR TRUE FANS , BY A TRUE FAN

BLITZ COVERED A LOT OF GARAGE BANDS , AS DID GREG SHAW'S ORIGINAL BOMP ZINE.

EVEN GOLDMINE AND DISCOVERIES HIT THE MARK QUITE OFTEN.

BLACK TO COMM , BAD KARMA , PSYCHOTRONIC VIDEO , SHINDIG , HERE 'TIS , NOT FADE AWAY , EVEN MOJO.

John, do you know where can I find Beverly's Outside / Inside? Googling it wasn't much help!

kopper said:

Yes!

• January 2, 2012 12:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I gotta second John Battles, Roctober is the best music magazine out there. Hands down. It's scope is way wider than garage, but it's all Rock&Roll, Rock&Soul, whatever. I really dig Avi Spivak's Human Being Lawnmower. That rules. He also just did the Kicksville Confidential comic for Norton which kicks ass. And I do PORK. It's free, it's nationally distributed, PORK #5 just came out with King Lollipop, Hunx, Danny James & Pear, Andy Human, Wax Idols, Guantanamo Baywatch, John Holmstrom & King Lollipop. PORK is a big old broadsheet like INTERVIEW & is inspired by the NYC of Warhol, Lou Reed, New York Dolls etc, Mad Magazine, Ed Roth hot rod & biker stuff for kids, the 60s Undergrounds, Japanese pop stuff, John Waters, the Sammy Davis Jr. side of Church of Satan, etc. Personally I came out of Oakland, CA so there's a definite east bay connection/emphasis, and I was a fuckin' UK82 Chaos Punk type when I was a kid so that leaks through. ha ha. Anyhow, if any of you have good suggestions for places to send boxes of PORK magazines, that's helpful too. We wanna hit every city in the country.   

• December 30, 2011 10:31 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanx Kopper, i'll be checking out Pork Zine for sure...

There's also Bananas zine outta NYC:

http://www.bananasmag.com/

It's a newsprint thing that covers a mix of new and some 80's garage combos. Lots of reviews and great graphics/artwork!

• December 30, 2011 10:26 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Forgot to mention this one... PORK Magazine was discussed recently in the main forum:

http://garagepunk.ning.com/forum/topics/pork-magazine

Looks pretty great!

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• December 30, 2011 2:17 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Outside / Inside , by Beverly Paterson , a fun D.I.Y. ZINE , WITH INTERVIEWS WITH MEMBERS OF PAUL REVERE AND THE RAIDERS , WAILERS , CASTAWAYS , BLUE CHEER , LARRY AND THE BLUE NOTES , THE SONICS , THE SEEDS ,AND MANY OTHERS. PATERSON ALSO HAD A ONE - SHOT BUBBLEGUM ZINE. LOTS OF PASSION AND ENTHUSIASM . FOR TRUE FANS , BY A TRUE FAN

BLITZ COVERED A LOT OF GARAGE BANDS , AS DID GREG SHAW'S ORIGINAL BOMP ZINE.

EVEN GOLDMINE AND DISCOVERIES HIT THE MARK QUITE OFTEN.

BLACK TO COMM , BAD KARMA , PSYCHOTRONIC VIDEO , SHINDIG , HERE 'TIS , NOT FADE AWAY , EVEN MOJO.

• December 23, 2011 11:25 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Mongrel Zine!

http://www.mongrelzine.ca/

The Scion Garage Zine is also pretty cool. I couldn't really find one link for the zine as a whole, but here's the link to the first issue (I think there've been three so far):

http://issuu.com/scion/docs/garage_zine_vol-01

You can download 'em and print them out (PDFs).

• December 22, 2011 9:17 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Why don't you try Lost In Tyme from Greece? is about the recent global garage scene.

• December 19, 2011 3:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm dedicating this to Austin's Cretan Bull, which showed me in the early 80s that you could make an entertaining and funny zine. Not a bad thing for us to keep in mind...

Anyhoo, here are some old zines I like that are still around. The move to the 'Net changes things sometimes, but overall I think it's a good thing. Okay:

Bad Trip, Ugly Things, Roctober, (and here), Maximumrocknroll, Trouser Press, The Next Big Thing, Punk Planet, Forced Exposure (this last is for rekkids, not print, which is a shame. Put MRR and FE in the bathroom and you might not come out for a month! Dense...)

{Dunno if the links will work, but if they don't this entry is in the Forum.}

• December 19, 2011 1:09 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

In the present day , I would say , Ugly Things is a MUST . Shindig is always consistent , but the writing , tho ' good , is sometimes a bit , um , overly proper. Galactic Zoodossier is a fine Psych / Garage / Comics zine that takes about two years between issues , but , is worth it.

There's Scram , if they're still around , and anything by my friend , Beverley Paterson.

Some of these zines only get distributed locally , and are often only released once. The bullshit  anti - book , anti - magazine trend isn't helping.

I would ask that you check out Roctober , and not just because I'm a contributor.

Now , if you're lucky , keep your orbs peeled for back issues of Black To Comm , Bad Trip , Here 'Tis , Freakbeat , Next Big Thing , Ptolemaic Terrascope ,  and , of course , KICKS. But , don't stop there , keep your fingers crossed for some Back Door Man and BOMP action , two of the mags that really got the ball rolling , to say nothing of PUNK , OR THE MORE OBSCURE NEW ORDER.  You may be able to access some of these older ones on line. While you're at it , do yourself a favor and check out Ryan Richardson's Rock Scene magazine site. Good luck.

• August 25, 2013 9:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Reviving this old topic to post that one of my favorite 'zines from a few years back, CHOKE, is planning a new issue for late October 2013. Great news! http://www.chokemediaempire.com/

I guess Gearhead is still being printed, right? I honestly haven't seen an issue in forever so I'm not sure. One thing that bugged me about Gearhead, though, was that they never printed negative reviews. If they didn't have something positive to say about a certain release, they just didn't review it. Odd.

Does anyone remember the Fang Club 'zine that Jesse Lortz (Boom Boom Records of Renton) used to put out? That was a good read for the toilet, too. A couple others I miss are Brian Marshall's Noises From the Garage and Blair Buscareno's Teen Scene 'zine from the '90s. And, of course, Norton's Kicks and Deke Dickerson's Show-Me Blowout. All great reads.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel