Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Jangle Pop

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 1, 2011 5:57 PM CDT
    • Untitled

For those that don't know what it is, it's a music form that became extremely popular in the '80's (mainly college radio) that harked a return to jangly guitars and '60's harmonies. I'm willing to bet that 90% of you here on the Hideout already knew that, but hey, just in case some of you didn't...There was a whole slew of bands that came out during this initial heavy wave, mainly associated with the "Paisley Underground". Personally, I like listening to it, and the reason I wanted to start this discussion was to get your opinions on what bands you liked, you recommend (I know I haven't heard ALL of them), album suggestions. Or you can even bring up bands that have been called "jangle pop" but you don't agree with that categorization. And there's always room for debates, like was Tom Petty's early songs in that genre? Not a fan of his, but it's well known that he was heavily influenced by the Byrds. Of course technically, jangle pop was a throwback to the '60's, so there were a number of bands in the '70's that plyed that sound as well. You can go on Wikipedia, and they list a number of bands that they put in this category (R.E.M.'s early work, Guadalcanal Diary, the Church, etc.) So just wanting to see your thoughts on this subject, and who knows? Some of your suggestions could increase my music shopping list!

• April 25, 2013 5:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

two cracking tunes... a jingle jangle!

• November 14, 2012 1:47 PM CST
    • Untitled

More than likely the Three O' Clock did, because the lead singer was previously in the Salvation Army, wasn't he? I can't remember...I know they were the only "paisley underground" band that were signed to Prince's "Paisley Park" label, which kind of surprises me that he didn't try and sign more in that genre. I guess he was just too focused in the R&B market...

Chris Henniker said:

Didn't the Three O'Clock play at punk tempos? I Know Mind Garden was played at those speeds, but who else did (or do)?

• November 13, 2012 2:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Didn't the Three O'Clock play at punk tempos? I Know Mind Garden was played at those speeds, but who else did (or do)?

• March 3, 2012 9:11 AM CST
    • Untitled

Thanks for the info!

Zero Hour Records said:

The Dangtrippers from Iowa.  Their first album Days Between Stations is a must have.. it's on iTunes now as it hasn't been available since 1989.

• March 3, 2012 7:13 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Dangtrippers from Iowa.  Their first album Days Between Stations is a must have.. it's on iTunes now as it hasn't been available since 1989.

• January 31, 2012 9:13 AM CST
    • Untitled

Hey, thanks for the info! I've never heard of these bands before. When I first started reading this, I thought "Robert Johnson? Huh? He's blues", but anyway, yeah, I'll look into him. Sex Clark Five sounds like a punk band, but I'll take your word for it. Cheers!

Jose said:

I've re-discovered Robert Johnson im my record collection recently and have been stuck on him now for a good month. While he really isn't paisley pop it's still great stuff, it's more Beach Boys sounding power-pop than anything. It's worth checking out, you can usually find his 2 lps on e-bay fairly cheap ( Memphis demos and Close Personal Friend ). If you get a chance check out his 1st 45 with the Bell Heirs. I think  both albums were re-released on cd a while back, it's worth looking into. Also you might want to check out The Leopards ( re-released on SingSing records ) and the Sex Clark Five, both are 60s British invasion influenced.

• January 30, 2012 2:06 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've re-discovered Robert Johnson im my record collection recently and have been stuck on him now for a good month. While he really isn't paisley pop it's still great stuff, it's more Beach Boys sounding power-pop than anything. It's worth checking out, you can usually find his 2 lps on e-bay fairly cheap ( Memphis demos and Close Personal Friend ). If you get a chance check out his 1st 45 with the Bell Heirs. I think  both albums were re-released on cd a while back, it's worth looking into. Also you might want to check out The Leopards ( re-released on SingSing records ) and the Sex Clark Five, both are 60s British invasion influenced.

• January 29, 2012 8:59 AM CST
    • Untitled

Yeah, once REM "happened", it seemed to start defining "college radio". It seems like quite a few bands (especially in regions of North Carolina and Athens, GA) had to have the jangle pop sound. Of course, REM started ditching their signature sound and started moving more towards a contemporary rock sound, which I just didn't like. For me personally, their first three albums are their best work.

I also like Chris Stamey's style, his music and album producing ventures...

John Battles said:

I'm just here to see how other people define this stuff.....I think , by the mid - 80's , just about every city had one or two.... In Dallas (Not a city.)  , there was The Trees , End over End , Three on a Hill , Howling Dervishes , all of whom , I think , had that sound , to some degree , particularly the former. In 1986 , man , every band in America sounded like REM for 15 minutes.     But , I think The Droogs and the Chris Wilson - era Flamin' Groovies also had their feet in that pond before the majority of those bands formed.

• January 28, 2012 3:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm just here to see how other people define this stuff.....I think , by the mid - 80's , just about every city had one or two.... In Dallas (Not a city.)  , there was The Trees , End over End , Three on a Hill , Howling Dervishes , all of whom , I think , had that sound , to some degree , particularly the former. In 1986 , man , every band in America sounded like REM for 15 minutes.     But , I think The Droogs and the Chris Wilson - era Flamin' Groovies also had their feet in that pond before the majority of those bands formed.

• November 5, 2011 2:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Paisley Underground created such cool bands like The Bangles and the Fuzztones along with Mazzy Star and the Fleshtones, etc. But I'm more on the psychedelic side of music than pop :):)

• November 4, 2011 2:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Coincidence, I was going to mention them too. Saw Playn Jayn live and they were excellent, still listen to both LPs which are well worth picking up. They turn up fairly frequently on eBay and are never expensive.
    • November 4, 2011 2:06 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Thanks for the info, I don't think I've ever heard of them before!

Nero said:

Another British band worth checking out are the Playn Jayn. Found this bit about them on a site called Power Pop Criminals, and there's a Myspace page on 'em, too:

Formed in 1983 from the ashes of the Zoodoo (then The Idd and The Zoo) around the nucleus of the Jones brothers, the Playn Jayn were part of the UK 80's psychedelic revival. Obviously rooted in crafted '60's english pop, but drawn towards the more cracked elements of american psychedelia, the Playn Jayn released a live LP on A&M and then were dropped by their record company before they were signed by ABC. They released their sole studio LP in 1985. Mike Jones (the singer) ended up an acid casualty and became incresingly fragile. Nick (guitarist) took the Chris Dreja route and became a commercial photographer.

http://www.myspace.com/theplaynjayn

• November 4, 2011 1:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Another British band worth checking out are the Playn Jayn. Found this bit about them on a site called Power Pop Criminals, and there's a Myspace page on 'em, too:

Formed in 1983 from the ashes of the Zoodoo (then The Idd and The Zoo) around the nucleus of the Jones brothers, the Playn Jayn were part of the UK 80's psychedelic revival. Obviously rooted in crafted '60's english pop, but drawn towards the more cracked elements of american psychedelia, the Playn Jayn released a live LP on A&M and then were dropped by their record company before they were signed by ABC. They released their sole studio LP in 1985. Mike Jones (the singer) ended up an acid casualty and became incresingly fragile. Nick (guitarist) took the Chris Dreja route and became a commercial photographer.

http://www.myspace.com/theplaynjayn

• November 2, 2011 9:08 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Yeah, I've got quite a bit of Long Ryders on the 'ole ipod, and like Green On Red, they could pull off country music and do it so well. I have always been meaning to check more into the Soup Dragons...Some of these others you mentioned are going on my "research" list. Thanks for your input!

Polyvinyl Craftsmen said:
      I'd add The Long Ryders and a few British bands who were lumped into the C86 scene that I thought were playing in a similar vein, McCarthy, The Wolfhounds, early Primal Scream and The Loft. In fact you could probably call most of the C86 bands jangle pop - The Primitives, Tallulah Gosh, Shop Assistants, early Soup Dragons and The Chesterfields.
    • November 2, 2011 2:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'd add The Long Ryders and a few British bands who were lumped into the C86 scene that I thought were playing in a similar vein, McCarthy, The Wolfhounds, early Primal Scream and The Loft. In fact you could probably call most of the C86 bands jangle pop - The Primitives, Tallulah Gosh, Shop Assistants, early Soup Dragons and The Chesterfields.
    • November 1, 2011 7:38 PM CDT
    • Untitled

I always liked Green On Red, especially their forays into country music and their organ laced compositions that suggests that Doors influence. I'm surprised I don't have more by Chris Stamey, the db's, the Connells, and Let's Active, since they're regional acts in regards to geographics (I'm in VA, they're all based out of NC). I really liked the Bangles earlier work, when they were known as the Bangs, and I think the Three O' Clock was the only "white pop" band that Prince signed to his Paisley Print record label. Coincidentally, he wrote "Manic Monday" for the Bangles (not a favorite of theirs by any means). Thanks for listing these, I'm making notes to track down more by them, and making a note to gather more by the bands I was already familiar with!

The Lizardmen said:

Jangle Pop:

Let's Active

The Windbreakers

The Bongos

The dB's

Chris Stamey

Bobby Sutliffe

Tim Lee

The Connells

Don Dixon

Green On Red

The Swimming Pool Q's

Right As Rain

Arms Akimbo

The Nightporters

Miracle Legion

Winter Hours

The Primitons

Paisley Underground:

The Three O'Clock

Rain Parade

The Bangles

Dream So Real

• November 1, 2011 6:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Jangle Pop:

Let's Active

The Windbreakers

The Bongos

The dB's

Chris Stamey

Bobby Sutliffe

Tim Lee

The Connells

Don Dixon

Green On Red

The Swimming Pool Q's

Right As Rain

Arms Akimbo

The Nightporters

Miracle Legion

Winter Hours

The Primitons

Paisley Underground:

The Three O'Clock

Rain Parade

The Bangles

Dream So Real

• August 22, 2013 9:16 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Pooh Sticks!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel