Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: When a Cover Beats the Original...

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 1, 2013 4:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ciccone Youth , Chicago Style (Tomatoes , peppers , celery salt , day - glo relish , white onions, mustard. Fuck the no ketchup statute.) ??  This sounds surprisingly inoffensive , but , it is'nt annoying , like a Wax Trax cut. Beats Hell out of the original record . So would a sledge hammer.

kopper said:

Killdozer's cover of Janet Jackson's "Nasty" is better than the original.

• March 1, 2013 4:42 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're right , Pete Seeger adapted the song from the Book of Ecclesiastes before Dylan did it. I forgot.

Audio Gasoline said:

I remember reading somewhere that the only cover of his that Dylan liked (of all the covers of his songs) was Jimi's version of "All Along The Watchtower". John, I have to mention one small factoid in your Dylan post: "Turn, Turn, Turn" was a Pete Seeger song (the words were from the Bible, but he wrote the music and did the main arrangement). Dylan in his early years did some bitchin' covers in his own right, especially of traditional blues and gospel standards. Half of his first album were cover songs. (Disclaimer: I'm a fan of "Classic Dylan", and lose interest somewhere around "Blonde On Blonde".... except for "Desire", that album rules.)

Tersicore said:

ha ha, somehow i got the feeling that is not really hard to make a good cover of a Dylan song, sorry! ;D

• March 1, 2013 1:33 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Killdozer's cover of Janet Jackson's "Nasty" is better than the original.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• March 1, 2013 10:34 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I remember reading somewhere that the only cover of his that Dylan liked (of all the covers of his songs) was Jimi's version of "All Along The Watchtower". John, I have to mention one small factoid in your Dylan post: "Turn, Turn, Turn" was a Pete Seeger song (the words were from the Bible, but he wrote the music and did the main arrangement). Dylan in his early years did some bitchin' covers in his own right, especially of traditional blues and gospel standards. Half of his first album were cover songs. (Disclaimer: I'm a fan of "Classic Dylan", and lose interest somewhere around "Blonde On Blonde".... except for "Desire", that album rules.)

Tersicore said:

ha ha, somehow i got the feeling that is not really hard to make a good cover of a Dylan song, sorry! ;D

• February 28, 2013 5:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

There's so many....Jerry Lee Lewis made , pretty much , any song his own.

There's so many Dylan covers that , I believe, were better than the originals....

Pretty much any by The Byrds - My Back Pages , Mr. Tambourine , Turn , Turn ,Turn , etc.

Elvis did a total of two Dylan songs. "Don't Think Twice , It's All Right " was just a studio jam that went on for 10 minutes , but really drove the point home......a putdown to the one who put him down. Saying "iT AIN'T NO BIG THING" WHEN IT IS.

it Ain't Me , Babe - Johnny Cash and even The Turtles.

It's aLL over Now , Baby Blue. - Them , Chocolate Watchband , 13TH Floor Elevators.

Isley Bros. - Lay , Lady Lay "Now some people say this cat knows a lot about a lot of things . Me , I like anything that's goy LAY in it !" (Ronnie Isley) 

Yardbirds - Most Likely You'll Go Your Way .

Solomon Burke - Maggie's Farm.

OK , to be fair , I heard Dylan doing "It Takes a Lot To Laugh , It Takes a Train To Cry" , recently. It beats Hell out of Blue Cheer's version.

• February 28, 2013 5:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well, since most of us grown up with R´n´R, Rock, Punk and so on, i guess is not too difficult to find more appealing versions of some old Jazz, Folk or old R´n´B songs. 
      We may have heard in most cases the cover earlier than the original one,  
      or maybe never heard the original at all. 

Personally i´d be more curious about comparing songs which were both, original and cover, quasi contemporary, or from not so extremely different musical genre.
      What do you think?

BUT: I´ll spend a beer to anyone who comes with a better version of the original "Smokestack Lightning" by Howling´Wolf! ;)

• February 28, 2013 4:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

ok, i know both versions of the "pills" song,
      but who did the original "come on up"?
      both links, by way for comparison would be great!

dave said:

I think the New York Dolls cover of "Pills" the Bo Diddley song is even greater than the original.

Also, anything the Mummies cover is saaaa-MO-kin'. Here's "Come On Up"

• February 28, 2013 3:01 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Both Manic Hispanic and El Vez do an outstanding job of making song parody work AND rock , with Latino themes that won't alienate us chingadoros blancos. Of course , Robert Lopez was/is in The Zeros ...

Audio Gasoline said:

More of a re-make than a cover, but I think it's awesome:

• February 28, 2013 2:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I WOULD NEVER TAKE ANYTHING AWAY FROM FRED AND TOODY COLE , THEY'VE BEEN FRIENDS OF MINE FOR MANY YEARS. DICKIE PETERSON AND I WERE FRIENDS , TOO , THO' NOT AS CLOSE. I'VE ALWAYS LOVED BOTH VERSIONS , BUT , YOU KNOW , SOME PEOPLE LIKE BLUE CHEER'S VERSION AND NOT DEAD MOON'S . GO FIGURE.

Audio Gasoline said:

I suppose Blue Cheer's version deserves mentioning, but personally it never did anything for me: it always seemed kind of fractured and unfinished. Acid rock can be better when it's actually played while on acid, but it really should be mixed and mastered while sober :) Besides, I'm from Portland, so I got to stand up for one of our local legends.

John Battles said:

Of course , there's Blue Cheer's better - known version , and partly the inspiration for Dead Moon's "Rock like fuck " version.....Johnny Winter and John Mayall did all right versions , too.

• February 28, 2013 11:43 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

More of a re-make than a cover, but I think it's awesome:

• February 28, 2013 11:42 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I suppose Blue Cheer's version deserves mentioning, but personally it never did anything for me: it always seemed kind of fractured and unfinished. Acid rock can be better when it's actually played while on acid, but it really should be mixed and mastered while sober :) Besides, I'm from Portland, so I got to stand up for one of our local legends.

John Battles said:

Of course , there's Blue Cheer's better - known version , and partly the inspiration for Dead Moon's "Rock like fuck " version.....Johnny Winter and John Mayall did all right versions , too.

• February 28, 2013 2:47 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There's so many....Jerry Lee Lewis made , pretty much , any song his own.

There's so many Dylan covers that , I believe, were better than the originals....

Pretty much any by The Byrds - My Back Pages , Mr. Tambourine , Turn , Turn ,Turn , etc.

Elvis did a total of two Dylan songs. "Don't Think Twice , It's All Right " was just a studio jam that went on for 10 minutes , but really drove the point home......a putdown to the one who put him down. Saying "iT AIN'T NO BIG THING" WHEN IT IS.

it Ain't Me , Babe - Johnny Cash and even The Turtles.

It's aLL over Now , Baby Blue. - Them , Chocolate Watchband , 13TH Floor Elevators.

Isley Bros. - Lay , Lady Lay "Now some people say this cat knows a lot about a lot of things . Me , I like anything that's goy LAY in it !" (Ronnie Isley) 

Yardbirds - Most Likely You'll Go Your Way .

Solomon Burke - Maggie's Farm.

OK , to be fair , I heard Dylan doing "It Takes a Lot To Laugh , It Takes a Train To Cry" , recently. It beats Hell out of Blue Cheer's version.

• February 28, 2013 2:32 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well , most people have never heard Bo's original. It seldom turns up on retrospective albums (It IS on his box set.). THE DOLLS ' VERSION IS MORE OVER THE TOP. I DON'T KNOW THAT IT'S BETTER , IN MY OPINION, but , it is the definitive version , the one everyone covers.

dave said:

I think the New York Dolls cover of "Pills" the Bo Diddley song is even greater than the original.

• February 28, 2013 2:28 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Audio Gasoline said:

Dead Moon's cover of "Parchman Farm" knocks it out of the park, especially in contrast to Mose Allison's well-known jazzified piano blues original.

• February 27, 2013 6:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• February 27, 2013 2:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• February 27, 2013 12:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Dead Moon's cover of "Parchman Farm" knocks it out of the park, especially in contrast to Mose Allison's well-known jazzified piano blues original.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel