Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: What films/series have you been watching lately?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 14, 2012 3:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I watched two very British movies last night. Check'em out. You won't be disappointed. Once you get past those 'crazy Brit accents', you yanks, hehe. First was Richard Ayode's ' Submarine' 'bout a young lad and his growing of age. Second was a really dark movie called, 'Dead Man's Shoes' A real fucked up movie about revenge. Amazing stuff. If you can source the, please do. One you might need subtitles for is a movie i saw recently called 'Small Faces'. Based in Glasgow in the 60's and surrounding a very bloody period in Glasgows past when it was known as 'No Mean City' due to it very violent undercurrent. Enjoy

http://youtu.be/BFwYPhGzNQ4

• November 14, 2012 10:46 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm just two episodes into Boardwalk Empire, and so far, so good. I'm a big Buscemi fan in general, though. The only other cast member I recognized right off was Kelly Macdonld from Trainspotting and No Country for Old Men.

John Battles said:

Just watched "Boardwalk Empire , Season One". Steve Buscemi outdoes himself. He almost carries the whole show  , but , the supporting cast is very strong , too , even if I , myself , did'nt recognize any of 'em.

• November 9, 2012 12:47 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Greg , Hey , congratulations. You know , I trust , "See You Next Tuesday " was the title of Jon Landis' (Fictitous.) Directorial debut. It's been referenced in all , or most , of his movies , since "Schlock '' (A greatblack comedy - Horror parody in itself.).
       Bartel was great. Mary Woronov said she did'nt like him pretending they were married , and asked him to stop , but , who could blame him?

Yeah , I'd throw Paul Morrissey in there , too. I'm sure a lot of peoplethink "Flesh For Frankenstein" was sick , but , it's pure Black Comedy....With the unlikely revelation that Dr. Frankenstein's beautiful children (Born by his Sister !) were , in fact , the real monsters.

Harold and Maude , of course is a Black Comic masterpiece. It's actually sweet , though, despite the nauseating premise ("The fat of your young......BODY , up against those sagging ....BUTTOCKS , AND WITHERED ......BREASTS !") HA HA HA HA HA  HA !
      Greg Hanson said:

All those films rule! Parents is awesome and pretty passed over, even by genre film fans. Paul Bartel's films are amazing - I love Lust in the Dust and Eating Raoul. 

I feel like Andy Warhol Produced/Paul Morrissey's work is in a similar vein, especial Blood for Dracula, Flesh for Frankenstein, and Andy Warhol's Bad (which wasn't Morrissey). 

There are some awesome underground films being made now that have similar sensibilities. People like Zach Clark (Modern Love is Automatic, Vacation!) and Drew Tobia (Leperfuck, Stupid Junkie Faggot) do the trash/black comedy thing really well. Drew is finishing up his first feature called See You Next Tuesday (which I worked on). Keep your eyes out because it's going to be fucking awesome.

John Battles said:

The craziest triple bill I ever saw (In a real movie theatre.) was "Eating Raoul" , "Polyester" and "Plan 9 From Outer Space". I met Mary Woronov once , and she thought that was crazy , too !

hips like cinderella said:

i just watched Eating Raoul recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. i'm a big fan of the 80's black comedy, haha

John Battles said:

I love "Parents" . The 80's were alive with black comedies , "Neighbors" , "Eating Raoul" ,  etc.

I started watching "The Veil" , a (Criminally) never - aired TV series produced by Hal Roach , Jr. in 1959. Hosted by Boris Karloff , who also starred in every episode , making it more appealing to me than "Thriller" (Though it was a great show.), it reads like a cross between  " The Twilite Zone" , 50's Noir , and , yes , "Thriller" , to some extent. Guest stars include Patrick McGee , and , would you believe , George Hamilton , and many lesser - known but distinctive TV Actors , American and British( One played a G-man on "The Andy Griffith Show".).

Something Weird put this two DVD set out in 2001 , It also contains two episodes of "13 Demon Street " , starring Lon Chaney , Jr.

• November 8, 2012 9:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

All those films rule! Parents is awesome and pretty passed over, even by genre film fans. Paul Bartel's films are amazing - I love Lust in the Dust and Eating Raoul. 

I feel like Andy Warhol Produced/Paul Morrissey's work is in a similar vein, especial Blood for Dracula, Flesh for Frankenstein, and Andy Warhol's Bad (which wasn't Morrissey). 

There are some awesome underground films being made now that have similar sensibilities. People like Zach Clark (Modern Love is Automatic, Vacation!) and Drew Tobia (Leperfuck, Stupid Junkie Faggot) do the trash/black comedy thing really well. Drew is finishing up his first feature called See You Next Tuesday (which I worked on). Keep your eyes out because it's going to be fucking awesome.

John Battles said:

The craziest triple bill I ever saw (In a real movie theatre.) was "Eating Raoul" , "Polyester" and "Plan 9 From Outer Space". I met Mary Woronov once , and she thought that was crazy , too !

i just watched Eating Raoul recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. i'm a big fan of the 80's black comedy, haha

John Battles said:

I love "Parents" . The 80's were alive with black comedies , "Neighbors" , "Eating Raoul" ,  etc.

I started watching "The Veil" , a (Criminally) never - aired TV series produced by Hal Roach , Jr. in 1959. Hosted by Boris Karloff , who also starred in every episode , making it more appealing to me than "Thriller" (Though it was a great show.), it reads like a cross between  " The Twilite Zone" , 50's Noir , and , yes , "Thriller" , to some extent. Guest stars include Patrick McGee , and , would you believe , George Hamilton , and many lesser - known but distinctive TV Actors , American and British( One played a G-man on "The Andy Griffith Show".).

Something Weird put this two DVD set out in 2001 , It also contains two episodes of "13 Demon Street " , starring Lon Chaney , Jr.

• October 16, 2012 7:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just watched "Boardwalk Empire , Season One". Steve Buscemi outdoes himself. He almost carries the whole show  , but , the supporting cast is very strong , too , even if I , myself , did'nt recognize any of 'em.

• September 7, 2012 7:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

• September 4, 2012 9:53 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

• September 3, 2012 3:06 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• September 1, 2012 3:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• August 28, 2012 10:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hrm...as for movies, i'm gonna throw these out there: TerrorVision (horror/comedy), Bubba Ho-Tep (horror/comedy), Ghost World (dark comedy), Buffalo '66 (dark comedy/drama), The Runaways (about the runaways, joan jett & cherie curie and shit), Dead Snow (awesome norwegian horror involving nazi zombies), The Royal Tennenbaums (comedy), Dead Alive (horror/comedy), The Boys & Girls Guide To Getting Down (comedy, made kind of in the style of an educational video like the ones you see in grade school), Spun (drama/comedy), Parents (horror/comedy), Orgazmo (comedy from trey parker & matt stone [the guys that do south park])
          umm...of course a few classic, must-see-immediately-if-you-haven't-yet flicks, like Natural Born Killers, Taxi Driver, The People Under The Stairs, etc. Also, Frank Henenlotter has directed a few gems in the realm of ridiculous B horror movies.
          As for series, I just recently started watching this show Fishing With John, where john lurie takes random people out fishing (like tom waits, jim jarmusch, a few others) and asks them questions. its set like one of those fishing shows you'd see on, like, the hunting & fishing channel, though. Pretty neat. Saxondale is pretty funny if you like British comedies and stuff. Arrested Development is pretty amazing, too. I've watched it all the way through several times and still laugh.

• August 28, 2012 7:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i'M TRYING NOT TO FOLLOW MYSELF , HERE....BUT , I JUST SCORED A COPY OF "THE LORDS OF FLATBUSH" , A 50'S JD FILM , RELEASED IN 1974 , THAT DOES'NT TURN UP VERY OFTEN.

THE MOVIE STARRED SYLVESTER STALLONE AND HENRY WINKLER (BOTH PRE - FAME. I KNEW WINKLER FROM "HAPPY DAYS" WHEN "LORDS" CAME OUT , BUT THE FONZ WAS NOT YET A POP CULTURE ICON.). STALLONE'S A PRETTY GOOD MACHO WISEASS , BUT MUMBLES EVEN MORE THAN USUAL. WINKLER'S CHARACTER , SURPRISINGLY , IS JEWISH (YES , I KNOW WINKLER IS JEWISH , BUT , I HAD TO WONDER HOW MANY BROOKLYN GREASER GANGS IN THE 50'S WERE COMPRISED OF BOTH ITALIAN AND JEWISH MEMBERS.). IT'S NOT HEAVY ON STORY LINE....J.D.S DISRUPT CLASS , GET INTO FIGHTS THAT END BEFORE THEY START , STEAL A CAR , HANG OUT AT A DINER , KNOCK UP A COUPLE OF THEIR GIRLFRIENDS , AND , LIKE THE LATER "THE WANDERERS" , HAVE A LIVELY ITALIAN WEDDING FOR STALLONE. IT'S A REAL B-MOVIE , LACKING THE PRODUCTION VALUES OF AN "AMERICAN GRAFITTI" (THERE'S NO "OLDIES" SONGS ON THE SOUNDTRACK , EITHER , JUST ORIGINAL MUSIC THAT ONLY SOMETIMES WORKS.) . IT'S FUN , NOTHING THAT WOULD HAVE CHANGED AMERICA'S PRECONCIEVED NOTIONS OF WHAT LIFEWAS LIKE IN THE ROCK'N'ROLL ERA.  THE MOVIE BOMBED , BUT , PREDICTABLY , WAS RE- RELEASED ABOUT TWO YEARS LATER , IN WAKE OF WINKLER AND STALLONE'S SUBSEQUENT POPULARITY. ONE OF THE GUYS FROM "RICH MAN , POOR MAN" , THEN A POPULAR SOAP OPERA , WAS IN IT , TOO.

• July 29, 2012 7:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

OK , SO I'M REPEATING MYSELF...But , that was 10 Days ago. IF THEY HAD AN OLYMPIC TEAM FOR "WATCHING TV SHOWS THAT ARE MORE INTERESTING THAN THE OLYMPICS" , I'D bring back the GOLD , baby.

John Battles said:

Watching The Sopranos , seasons 1 - 6 1/2. Going thru 'em like water , too.

Munsters , Season 2 , watching it very slowly....

Maybe someone could redo The Sopranos with The Munsters as The New Jersey Family and The Addams Family as The New York Family....But , of course , then , it would have to be a MUSICAL , OR NO ONE WOULD INVEST IN IT..... Eeeuuuggghh......

• July 29, 2012 7:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Watching The Sopranos , seasons 1 - 6 1/2. Going thru 'em like water , too.

Munsters , Season 2 , watching it very slowly....

Maybe someone could redo The Sopranos with The Munsters as The New Jersey Family and The Addams Family as The New York Family....But , of course , then , it would have to be a MUSICAL , OR NO ONE WOULD INVEST IN IT..... Eeeuuuggghh......

• July 18, 2012 4:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Going thru Sopranos box sets , that I finally found cheap , like water. I GOT seasons 5,  6 and 6 1/2 on DVD WHEN THEY WERE RELEASED , BECAUSE MY HBO GOT CUT OFF , AND THAT WAS THE ONLY WAY I COULD SEE THE (THEN) NEW EPISODES.).

METOO IS SHOWING TWILIGHT ZONE , NIGHT GALLERY , AND EVEN THRILLER, BUT , THEY'RE ON PRETTY LATE.....   Also watching Honey West ,Dobie Gillis ,  Andy Griffith Show , Burns and Allen and THE JACK BENNY PROGRAM.     MeToo and MeTV are changing their schedules around.

NAT HIKEN (Fuckin' GENIUS , man.) Dept. - Phil Silvers Show (Don't know if it's still on...) . Munsters (Watching season 2 ) , CAR 54 , WHERE ARE YOU? is on VERY late , now ,along with Dobie Gillis and Honey West.

• June 19, 2012 9:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

zakarythax, I must have just overlooked your message . I hope you're recovering well , and keeping strong. Which Naschy films have you been watching? I'll have to watch this , when I have a chance....I love the lesser known (In America) British sitcoms.

zacharythax said:

I just got out of the hospital for quadruple bypass surgery. I had my family bring me my laptop where I watched a few Paul Naschy movies plus a hilarious U.K. sitcom called 'The Thick of It.' Hang on with this clip until the end. http://youtu.be/5Q4o72jBZRY

• May 30, 2012 6:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just watched "Cotton Comes To Harlem" ,an early (1970.) Blaxploitation picture, with Godfrey Cambridge , and not enough of Redd Foxx. It addresses a lot of "Issues" , money - hungry preachers , hard drugs , jail , police brutality , militants, rioting.....all handled pretty well. The title does have meaning. I just thought it was somebody's name , or a metaphor. Well - produced for a non - mega budget film.

Before that , I watched "Midnight Cowboy". I'd seen it a few weeks ago , but , fell asleep partway through. You really have to be on your toes , it is OF ANOTHER TIME. AND IT GOES FROM PAST (USUALLY UNEXPLAINED) to present in moments.....tHERE'S A LOT OF PSYCHEDELIC IMAGERY , PARTICULARLY  IN THE 'PARTY ' SEQUENCE , STRAIGHT OUT OF A WARHOL FACTORY HAPPENING (with Ultraviolet  and Sylvia Myles , besides.).  You get a good look at still - sleazy New York. It demands a few views , as it's not real big on structure , but , it's time well spent. 

• May 25, 2012 3:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just got out of the hospital for quadruple bypass surgery. I had my family bring me my laptop where I watched a few Paul Naschy movies plus a hilarious U.K. sitcom called 'The Thick of It.' Hang on with this clip until the end. http://youtu.be/5Q4o72jBZRY

• May 21, 2012 3:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

May I recommend "Telstar" , The Joe Meek biopic ? It's out on DVD ,now ,in the states , very well acted and directed ...The thin line between genius and madness cuts like a rusty blade through pudding (Pudding is soft in America.). Screaming Lord Sutch , Gene Vincent , The Outlaws and Ritchie Blackmore(Seen separately , it appears. This is one fast moving picture.) are all accounted for , though all too briefly. The movie deals , not surprisingly , more with The Tornados , and Meek's affair with his peroxided protege , Heinz ( I don't even remember if I ever read  that was true.), who later decides "Hey , I don't arf fancy birds ! What am I doing with this geezer?". Original recordings on the soundtrack , too.

• April 26, 2012 10:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm sort of a hiatus from Psychotronic films....Got some on the backburner....Watching "Meatballs" with Bill Murray and Christopher Makepeace (''My Bodyguard".). It's nowhere NEARLY as funny as I remember it being. At least , unlike Dan Akyroyd , Eddie Murphy , and the lot of 'em , Murray still IS funny , today. I watched , for the umpteenth time , both "Grumpy Old Men" movies....The second is the better of the two , and co -stars Sophia Loren , as well as Ann - Margret. Also, Burgess Meredith outdoeshimself in possibly his last role (?).THOSE are some funny movies , but , sweet , too. Don't let that dissuade you. I saw "Clerks 2" , it's hilarious , funnier than I remember the first one being , but , instead of being sprinkled with a conscience here and there, like the "Grumpy Old Men" films , at some point , the plug gets pulled on the laughs , and people start acting responsibly. It's still funnier than one movie has a right to be.

• April 21, 2012 11:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Been on a huge Argento jag lately. Suspiria and Inferno being tops!

• April 19, 2012 11:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

*NOTE: THE DISNEY CARTOONS I SPEAK OF WERE FROM THE 20's.

John Battles said:

JUST WATCHING LOTS OF WEIRD CARTOONS , 1910'S TO 1940'S. FLEISCHER ,WB , FRELING ,

PRE - FAME DR. SEUSS , PRE - "OH...MAYBE NAZISM IS'NT SO SWELL , AFTER ALL." DISNEY , PROBABLY WITH UB IWERKS....INDUSTRIAL CARTOONS , FULL LENGTH MOVIE THEATRE CARTOON COMMERCIALS (INC. ONE FOR KOOL CIGARETTES !!) .....I LIKE THIS STUFF.

• April 19, 2012 11:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

JUST WATCHING LOTS OF WEIRD CARTOONS , 1910'S TO 1940'S. FLEISCHER ,WB , FRELING ,

PRE - FAME DR. SEUSS , PRE - "OH...MAYBE NAZISM IS'NT SO SWELL , AFTER ALL." DISNEY , PROBABLY WITH UB IWERKS....INDUSTRIAL CARTOONS , FULL LENGTH MOVIE THEATRE CARTOON COMMERCIALS (INC. ONE FOR KOOL CIGARETTES !!) .....I LIKE THIS STUFF.

• April 15, 2012 4:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Daddy's Deadly Darling , that IS funny....I remember , some line in "C.H.U.D."
      when a woman is screaming about a monster in her apartment . A neighbor yells "WHY DON'T YA CALL GHOSTBUSTERS ?!!".            

"Ghostbustersmania" was still in full swing , and Dan Akyroyd , if you can believe it , was still funny. His time was running out.
      .electrocute your cock said:

I'm pretty sure she's supposed to be a teenager. Her age is never actually mentioned but she's an inmate with the rest of them so I guess she must be. I saw C.H.U.D. when it came out on video and remember being disappointed that it wasn't a total gorefest or something (happened a lot when I was a kid), watching it again for the first time in 20 years it stands up pretty well. Never heard of Pigs but I just looked it up, I think I prefer the alternative title Daddy's Deadly Darling. Either way I need to see it.

John Battles said:

Was Wendy O. really supposed to be a teenager? I know most of the other women were SUPPOSED TO be teens....I took a date to see "C.H.U.D." when it came out. We were both kind of bummed that it was'nt worse than it was ! I like Humanoids From The Deep a lot , tho'.  I'll watch out for "Razorback" ....Ever seen "Pigs"?.

electrocute your cock said:

Reform School Girls (with a 37 year old Wendy O Williams playing a teenager!)

C.H.U.D.

Combat Shock (or American Nightmares for the directors cut)

2019 After the Fall of New York

The Bronx Warriors

Razorback, 'cause how can you go wrong with a film about a giant killer pig

• April 15, 2012 4:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Scarface" (Yes , with Al Pacino. The one that launched a million cheesy shirts , not the one where Karloff gets offed in a bowling alley.)....I'd just never seen it. I was'nt aware it was about the Cuban refugee and exiled criminal situation in the early 80's. It was'nt real big on plot , but , I enjoyed it....Pacino , almost unrecognizable , did put in a strong performance.

Beavis and Butthead - The New episodes. The BEST episodes...

Mary Tyler Moore Show - First Season.   Just a great show.

Grumpier Old Men - The better of the two , I think. It's sweet , but , hilarious.Plus , Sophia Loren , as well as Ann - Margret co - stars....Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau still bring the laffs (MORON! PUTZ!), and Burgess Meredith is outstanding in what had to be his last , or one of his last , performances , as the dirty old man with a plan !

• March 29, 2012 11:02 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I'm pretty sure she's supposed to be a teenager. Her age is never actually mentioned but she's an inmate with the rest of them so I guess she must be. I saw C.H.U.D. when it came out on video and remember being disappointed that it wasn't a total gorefest or something (happened a lot when I was a kid), watching it again for the first time in 20 years it stands up pretty well. Never heard of Pigs but I just looked it up, I think I prefer the alternative title Daddy's Deadly Darling. Either way I need to see it.

John Battles said:

Was Wendy O. really supposed to be a teenager? I know most of the other women were SUPPOSED TO be teens....I took a date to see "C.H.U.D." when it came out. We were both kind of bummed that it was'nt worse than it was ! I like Humanoids From The Deep a lot , tho'.  I'll watch out for "Razorback" ....Ever seen "Pigs"?.

electrocute your cock said:

Reform School Girls (with a 37 year old Wendy O Williams playing a teenager!)

C.H.U.D.

Combat Shock (or American Nightmares for the directors cut)

2019 After the Fall of New York

The Bronx Warriors

Razorback, 'cause how can you go wrong with a film about a giant killer pig

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel