Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Early Rolling Stones versus later Rolling Stones?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 8, 2012 12:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

joey f could not have said it any better

MikeL said:

I understand your point.  I myself get tired of hearing "Happy" and "Tumbling Dice."  However, there are some overlooked gems on the albums I just mentioned, such as "Stray Cat Blues" from "Beggars' Banquet," "Live With Me" from "Let It Bleed" and "Soul Survivor" from "Exile."

As far as their early stuff goes, I only have "England's Newest Hitmakers" and "12x5."  I might be getting "Aftermath" and "Their Satanic Majesties Request" in the near future.

joey fuckup said:

This has always been a debate that I would have with other Stones fans...Everybody I know considers "Exile" to be the best album in their whole discography, which I'm not disagreeing at all on that. For me personally, I'll take "pre-1970" Stones anyday. I have nothing against '70's era Stones music, but it's so overplayed, especially on most any rock station (it definately is here). The '60's era Stones gets so overlooked nowadays, with only a huge hit, like say "Satisfaction" getting airplay on said radio stations. And whatever oldies stations that even do exist anymore, choose to overlook many of their gems that us garageheads really dig. So overexposure of their catalogue has definately influenced my tastes on such a great band, however, being that I love '60's garage rock 'n' roll, I find their "1st Wave" to be more of a fit for me...
    • July 8, 2012 10:58 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

yes,yes,yes everybody agrees on exile,yet some girls was the stones response that they were still the nasty,dirty boys of rock&roll,and being in cleveland for the miss you tour.camping in front of the turstiles for 3days assuring my place up front.there are also great bootlegs ,one in mention the chess sessions chicago 66 i believe where you can listen to live back&forth talks between mick&kieth.also a playfull song about andrew oldham eating pussy,getting high and sucking anything that comes his way .

a fan who paid $480 to see the big bang tour in louisville in 04

• July 8, 2012 8:04 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like "Sticky Fingers" too:)  "Dead Flowers" is one of my favorite Stones' tunes.

sideshow Barty said:

sticky fingers is being a little overlooked here,cant you hear me knockin and sway are on it ffs,and yeah everyones always goin on about exile being the best record ever made.....probably 'cos it is.

• July 8, 2012 2:58 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

sticky fingers is being a little overlooked here,cant you hear me knockin and sway are on it ffs,and yeah everyones always goin on about exile being the best record ever made.....probably 'cos it is.

• July 7, 2011 12:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You may be right. 

I might of mis-remembered.  The book is too thick for me to remember or find the page.

Or was it Jumping Jack Flash he used that technique on?

Either way anyone can screw around with the idea and get some interesting results.

• July 7, 2011 11:21 AM CDT
    • Untitled

I just read that part. I'm pretty sure he said it was either JJ Flash or Street Fighting Man (or both?) that he did that way. He made a point of saying that he used an "echoplex" effect for satisfaction, which was a new thing then, but the bit about using acoustics through a tape recorder was a bit later...right?

Phil holloway said:

Personally I believe Kieth is holding a bit back on the Satisfaction thing.  If it was an acoustic into a tape machine...

• July 6, 2011 8:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I used to have a vinyl copy of "Sucking in the 70s."  I have fond memories of that album.

Phil holloway said:

I actually really like Sucking in the 70's

go figure!

Although many people will throw some hate my way I always considered the Rolling Stones to be a really good R&B cover band that could write awesome songs.

The whole "constant craving" thing is pretty much par for the course.

Personally I believe Kieth is holding a bit back on the Satisfaction thing.  If it was an acoustic into a tape machine He probably had the microphone taped right on the guitar near the bridge.

By  coincidence I did a similar thing when I was 12.  My parents bought me a crappy steel string acoustic guitar AND one of those childrens circuit boards kits that allowed you to learn and build electronics.  From it a built the most basic solid state amplifier from the instructions (obviously no limiter) and  used the microphone/speaker diaphragm part it came with as an "electric guitar" pickup.

At the time I thought it sounded pretty rad.  however my family was not so impressed.

I totally forgot about it until I read the book and thought...of course!!!

• July 6, 2011 8:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I actually really like Sucking in the 70's

go figure!

Although many people will throw some hate my way I always considered the Rolling Stones to be a really good R&B cover band that could write awesome songs.

The whole "constant craving" thing is pretty much par for the course.

Personally I believe Kieth is holding a bit back on the Satisfaction thing.  If it was an acoustic into a tape machine He probably had the microphone taped right on the guitar near the bridge.

By  coincidence I did a similar thing when I was 12.  My parents bought me a crappy steel string acoustic guitar AND one of those childrens circuit boards kits that allowed you to learn and build electronics.  From it a built the most basic solid state amplifier from the instructions (obviously no limiter) and  used the microphone/speaker diaphragm part it came with as an "electric guitar" pickup.

At the time I thought it sounded pretty rad.  however my family was not so impressed.

I totally forgot about it until I read the book and thought...of course!!!

• July 6, 2011 10:29 AM CDT
    • Untitled

How about this one? Apparently it's rare, I've found only one copy listed for sale anywhere, and it was some crazy figure over $1000--but that one was signed by Keef. I found this one at an estate sale a few months ago. Any info about rarity or desirability appreciated.

BPG said:
      What are some good 70's boots to look for?
    • July 5, 2011 10:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

http://bootleg-addiction.blogspot.com/2011/01/rolling-stones-philadelphia-special-2.html

PHILADELPHIA SPECIAL!!!

that live version of midnight rambler might be my favorite thing the stones have ever done

• July 5, 2011 10:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What are some good 70's boots to look for?
    • July 5, 2011 10:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

those of you who are unconvinced of the greatness of early 70s stones, listen to some live boots...their live show was fucking unstoppable in this era.  this is when they stopped being englands best hitmakers and became the greatest rock n roll band in the world.
    • July 4, 2011 6:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I'm reading Keith's book now... what a trip. I'm more inclined to listen to the early stuff, but, of course, I have my favs from the later works.

Get the book... great stories.

• June 28, 2011 5:03 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Not to be disrespectful, but I thought 100 Years Ago was about the weakest song they ever did. I dunno, just goes to show ya, no accounting, etc.
    • June 28, 2011 4:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I love Goats Head Soup especially "Comin' Down Again" and "100 Years Ago".
    • June 28, 2011 1:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Great thread...I've been digging Between the Buttons for the last couple of weeks. I'm one of those that believes Exile is their best, though. A long time ago I asked my buddy at Amoeba Records in SF what other Stones albums are like Exile. His reply: "There's no other albums like Exile".
    • June 27, 2011 12:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check out "Dancing With Mr D" off Goat's Head Soup.  That's one of the dirtiest guitar riffs ever.  I'm pretty sure Keith's Telecaster was high on smack during that recording session.
    • June 27, 2011 2:31 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Amen.

Pete Fiend said:
      Without Brian, they're just the Stones.
    • June 26, 2011 9:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The sad part is it seems like the surviving original Stones seem to be trying hard to bury Brian's legacy. They became a very "ordinary" band without him.
    • June 26, 2011 6:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Without Brian, they're just the Stones.
    • June 25, 2011 8:29 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Yes, Brian was talented, etc. But he was so whacked out on drugs that he wasn't participating (of course, Kieth was whacked out on drugs too, but he had much more musical drive). He only played on one song on Beggar's Banquet. And after that, he lost the neurological/motor skills to play. His brain couldn't send the messages to his fingers anymore. The others really had no choice but to replace him if they wanted to continue playing live.
    • June 24, 2011 5:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think you are trivializing Brian's role in the Stones, which is what Mick and Keith WANT you to do . He was an extremely talented multi-instrumentalist. Their music lost a lot of dimension after his departure. The Stones started out as HIS band. Look at the early TV interviews, Brian does the talking and looks confident doing it. Did Mick or Keith ever play a harpsichord, a marimba, NO. Brian was better than those guys, they treated him like shit, destroyed him, because they didn't wish to compete with him.
    • June 24, 2011 4:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I love all the stones music but Brian Jones was a problem because they started as an R&B band although i love their R&B they couldn't play it forever like Brian wanted so i was glad they kicked him out instead of ending up liek Alexis Corner or Paul Butterfield and all those other bands that stuck strictly to R&B that never seem to get listened to anymore.  Thats why exile is so great they get back to their roots with blues and country but still hard rock and roll the way the stones know how to fuckin play it.
    • June 24, 2011 3:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Current Rolling Stones!!!!

• June 24, 2011 3:09 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Yeah, eggsackley!

John Spokus said:

I think it had more to do with the fact that relatively speaking, the LP was still kind of the new kid on the block. The concept of the single was as old as the first commercially recorded music. Singles were on the radio and what people cared more about. Also the artists weren't trying that hard to make cohesive albums and were promoting singles way more than albums. The real age of album oriented rock only began kicking in with the later 60's and the rise of FM rock radio.

David Kitching said:

The reason singles were so important in the sixties was that LP's were so expensive. Another reason was the already mentioed filler tracks, I'd hear people saying how they'd bought an LP and there was a load of boring crap on it. And they wouldn't buy anything else by them.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel