Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Hideout Comp Series

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 2, 2011 9:21 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Today I was poking around on eMusic.com when I came across those Little Steven's Underground Garage Coolest Songs in the World! comps. Actually, this was the first time I'd even heard of them... I knew he'd been doing this "Coolest Song in the World" thing for years now, but I just didn't know they had been comped. Looking over the track lists on these, I thought to myself, "Wow, these are what he thinks are the coolest songs in the world? Hell, the bands on the Hideout have better stuff than this..." and that's when the light bulb went off over my head! Why not put together a comp or two or sixteen of some of "the coolest songs on the Hideout"? Yeah! These would be digital download compilations only (no physical CDs to get pressed since anyone interested in having them on CD can burn their own CDs themselves if they want). We could make them available here on the Hideout for free and even put them up via TuneCore on eMusic, iTunes, Amazon.com and some other online stores for a nominal fee (selling them there; giving them away for free here). Plus, the songs would also get some spins on our various podcasts... probably more so than anything on Mevio's Music Alley. All I'd need would be some bands to submit material... and there are already a LOT of bands here.

HOW TO SUBMIT SONGS FOR THE HIDEOUT COMP SERIES:

1. First and foremost, you MUST have an account on this site to be a part of the Hideout Comp Series! It doesn't have to be a band page necessarily, but at least one band member must be a registered member here. (That's sorta the point of doing this, ya know... to showcase Hideout bands!) And furthermore, we'd appreciate it if you keep your account active here for at least a year after the comp is released (if we use your song). None of this join the site to submit the song, have it get approved/included on one of the volumes, and then delete your account. That's just not cool. And yes, a few bands have done this already.
      2. Specs: Make sure your submission is in 16-bit WAV format, ripped at 1411 kbps (bit rate) and 44.100 kHz (sample rate). Sorry, we can't accept MP3s. And please make sure your WAV files are ripped from CD or a studio master. We don't recommend converting MP3s (especially low bit rate ones) to WAVs, or else the compression artifacts inherent in the MP3 will still be there in the WAV file.
      3. It's helpful if you include BOTH the name of the band AND the song title in the file name of the WAV. Something like this: The_Evil_Eyes_Honey_Please.wav (that way I know what the song is and what band submitted it... all very helpful info to have when putting together a compilation album!).
      4. We also prefer to have UNMASTERED songs. We can accept mastered songs, just know that if you have an unmastered version, please submit that instead.
      5. When you've got your song ready to go, then go to the GRGPNK Soundcloud Drop Box and upload it there for us. Please enter your own email address under "Your Contact Info" and make sure you enable downloads under the track settings, too. And, please, JUST ONE SONG PER BAND!! (Originals only; no covers.)
      6. Next, go to your email program (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.) and send an email to me at kopper65@gmail.com. The email should include the following information: Band Name, Song Title, and Hideout Page Link - This way I not only know who submitted what songs, but how to connect the songs with their corresponding Hideout member accounts (also very important info for our comp series). Make sure you use the email address that you'll be checking most often, because, if your song makes the cut, you'll be hearing back from me in due time. So keep checking your email! NOTE: Please do NOT send me a message on Facebook, here on the Hideout, or leave a comment for me on my page. I need to keep this stuff organized, and I can't do it if people are leaving me comments and messages all over the damned place... EMAIL ME. That way I can keep it all nice and organized in one place so I don't go completely mad trying to keep on top of everything.
      7. After you do all of the above, make sure you join the GRGPNK Records group here to stay on top of the releases, have access to the track lists for each comp, not to mention the download links.
      8. IF YOUR SONG IS CHOSEN TO BE INCLUDED on one of our upcoming volumes, I will contact YOU. There is no need for you to keep bugging me about it or email me asking if I got the track. If you don't hear from me, that means your song didn't get selected. However, it may still get selected for a future volume as I keep ALL of these songs on hand, just in case. When I email you, I'll ask you to agree to our terms, which are copied below for you so you know what to expect:

Please be aware that by taking part and submitting music for this series, that you agree that you'll not recoup any money from sales. These comps will be released under a Creative Commons license (Attribution Non-Commercial/No Derivatives), meaning people will be allowed to copy and redistribute the songs as they please, as long as they abide by the Creative Commons guidelines (no modifications or commercial use will be allowed). If you belong to one of the Performance Rights Organizations like BMI, ASCAP or SESAC, you can still release your work under Creative Commons. Read this article for more info. Also, regarding mechanical royalties, if you belong to the Harry Fox Agency (a similar organization that collects mechanical royalties for musicians and other copyright holders), you agree to waive your mechanical royalties for the track submitted. You're making this agreement with the understanding that it is for promotional use only, that hopefully in return for your song appearing on one of these comps, that you'll get some good exposure out of it, and that any money made from sales of downloads from Bandcamp or through eMusic, iTunes, Amazon, Napster, etc. being funneled in through our TuneCore account will go directly towards paying for the distribution of more of these comps in the future, with any leftover money (if any) going towards supporting the GaragePunk Hideout.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• January 25, 2013 6:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

These are all I have in my car at the moment. Have come across so many great bands ie - The Amputees & some where I've been reminded that I need more of their catalogue ie - The Bloody Hollies.

• January 15, 2013 9:42 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Most likely that was the case.

ted cogswell said:

I'm pretty sure I was in that group at one time, I did download the first few. Is it possible that I got removed for inactivity?

• January 15, 2013 4:09 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm pretty sure I was in that group at one time, I did download the first few. Is it possible that I got removed for inactivity?

• January 15, 2013 4:00 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

They're in the GRGPNK Records group. But unless you're a seasoned veteran of the Hideout, and visit and participate often (meaning several times per month), you won't be granted access until you are. Just fair warning... ;)

ted cogswell said:

Is there a page that has all of the comps to download?

• January 15, 2013 12:11 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Is there a page that has all of the comps to download?

• January 6, 2013 10:24 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I had forgotten about this place(which is a shame, the discussion is a lot better than on a lot of other music boards).  Hope there's another Hideout Comp soon so I can submit a track from my band.

• November 1, 2012 12:36 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks Kopper for another great compilation.

• October 31, 2012 8:02 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yikes! It's HOWL-O-WEEN!! Download "Garage Monsters" NOW before it's too late...

http://garagepunk.ning.com/page/garage-monsters

MUHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!

• October 6, 2012 10:36 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I had to resubmit the songs through TuneCore. One of them was in mono and that screwed up the process of getting them into the other online stores like iTunes & Amazon. So I had to re-rip the wav in stereo and resubmit. It should hopefully be in all the stores soon (about a week late). Ugh..

• October 5, 2012 11:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Listening to Volume 9 right now. It rules!  Many thanks to the bands, Kopper, and Mr. Blickenstaff for the kick-ass cover!!

• October 3, 2012 2:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey gang! Hope you've all had an opportunity to check out and download the latest volume of the Hideout Comp Series, "Garage Monsters"! It's quite a whopper, clocking in with 33 tracks and over an hour and 37 minutes! Those of you who are active enough here to qualify for membership in our exclusive GRGPNK Records group (gotta be a comp band member, zine writer/radio show/podcast DJ or post on this site several times per month to qualify) can get this sucker (along with the previous 8 volumes) for free, while the rest of ya deadbeats gotta pay for it... but that's no sweat at just $10 or less on the various download sites, right? In fact, I just spotted Garage Monsters over on eMusic, so if you've got a membership there you can go grab the whole thing for just $5.99. We also have it for sale in our Bandcamp store for $9.99 and it should be available VERY soon on iTunes, Zune, Amazon.com, etc.

Don't miss out, though! This is thee perfect soundtrack for your HOWL-O-WEEN shenanigans!!! And I ain't lyin'!

• September 23, 2012 11:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Track list for Vol. 9 ("Garage Monsters") has been posted here:

http://garagepunk.ning.com/page/garage-monsters

Should be ready to go by Monday, Oct. 1.

• July 12, 2012 3:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

ROCKS au circuit !!!!

• July 6, 2012 12:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The compilation sounds really great...very good bands and a supercharged sound! ;-)

• July 5, 2012 10:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Honoured and thrilled to be part of this comp!!!

• July 3, 2012 9:54 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Amazing turnaround on the volumes.  Amazing it is up to Volume 8. What can I say more than "thanks" to Kopper for the conception, organisation, orchestration, etc., and thanks to all the bands who make their music available.  

• June 29, 2012 10:58 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Get ready! Volume 8 ("Supercharged Sounds") will be coming out two weeks early... on Monday July 2!! The page won't be live until that morning. Cheers!

• June 11, 2012 2:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good riddance, indeed. 

The podcasts alone are an integral part of this community and, I think, why a lot of people keep coming back to the HideOut.  To try and argue that the podcasts are a bad thing is bad blood in the community.

• June 10, 2012 9:40 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Zoe von Doll is no longer a member of the Hideout. I was actually about to give her the boot when I saw that she had voluntarily left the site of her own accord. Good! Anyone who not only doesn't appreciate the comp series or the podcasts but accuses of us "stealing" music for them obviously just doesn't get it, nor do they deserve to be a member of this community. So good riddance to her and anyone else out there who thinks that any of us involved with the comps or the podcasts here are somehow taking advantage of bands. Since her posts were deleted when she deleted her account, I went ahead and removed the responses, too. Now we can get back to the business at hand.

Cheers!

• June 7, 2012 5:28 PM CDT
    • Untitled

It just so happens that Halloween is my favorite day of the year, and that I wrote and recorded a Halloween song not long ago.

• June 7, 2012 12:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes saw that cheers :-)

Just submitted a track, the Halloween volume is a great idea!

• June 7, 2012 12:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

See message above, Mr. Tea.

Mr Tea said:

If we have already had songs on other comps can we still submit for the halloween volume? Or do you want all new bands?

• June 7, 2012 11:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good question! This special volume will be open to ALL bands, even if yours has already had a song on a previous volume.

Thanks for asking!

Captain Higgins said:

Are bands that have already been on the compilation series being considered for this special edition, or still just bands which havent been on the comps?

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel