Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: What's your favorite one-man band?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 30, 2011 9:42 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i'm havin a real tough time here........hasil adkins for sure. besides him i think its a tie between bloodshot bill and dead elvis and his one man grave. whats yer thoughts?
    • December 23, 2012 4:56 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i Pinche Gringo ! JA JA JA JA JA ! I'll bet THE LOCO GRINGOS ARE SORRY THEY DID'NT THINK OF THAT NAME FIRST !

Gypsy Farm said:

Hasil Adkins, Pinche Gringo (Drummer for The Spins, Paint Fumes)

• December 23, 2012 4:54 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Chris , I don't know. It's very possible that he stopped taking his meds , but , it's just as possible that he did'nt. I knew one of his bandmembers in passing. He said that Wesley was doing much better , but , of course , that does'nt mean his situation was always as good as could be.   If he'd had a friend to act as a valet , he might have got into trouble , less often. I think he did have one , on occasions. Some people were scared to death of him , because they did'nt know who he was , or why he acted the way he did. Still , the Hipsters were a lot more sympathetic than the South siders , who took him at face value.

Chris Henniker said:

I know schizophrenia medication makes users sick at times, which would be a reason why he stopped taking them. One of my friends is a psychaitrist and deals with people like him for a living, but he's also a film director too. He knows the type, but What did the Nathan Barley types know that you didn't?

John Battles said:

I would'nt say that the headbutting thing had anything to do with exacerbating his Schizophrenia , Chris , but , it's a good question. What I disagreed with was the fact that he'd go around head - butting total strangers. I would'nt want to get head - butted by a guy one - third his size , but , that's just me. Some people wanted to be head - butted , that's all good and well. But he seemed unable , or too uncaring , to differentiate between the two. I think he mainly got kicked out of clubs because he intimidated paying customers , when it's extremely unlikely that he ever had to pay for anything at venues where he was known , at least. I once saw him try to pay for a burrito at a taqueria with one of his CDs. Someone told him , Wesley , that won't fly here , you HAVE to pay the guy. I could'nt help but notice when he opened his wallet , right in front of me  . There must have been about a hundred to two hundred dollars within , and he was trying to barter with a man that did'nt speak English , nor know of his local celebrity.   The other thing , I would imagine , is , well , his hygeine issues are well - documented , I don't need to go there.

The first time I saw him have an episode (And this was after I'd seen him in passing for years , and did'nt know he heard voices.) he was screaming that he had a gun and a knife , and he was going to kill somebody.

I think all the hipsters knew the score , but , hey , I did'nt. I did'nt think he was really armed , but , he sounded like something out of "Scared Straight". He used intimidation with people to try to get them to by his CDs. I saw him practically crush a woman's arm , one time , yelling "BUY MY CD !!", and she was even apologetic  about it , saying she just did'nt have the money..... I never saw the charming sweetheart that people always said he was , but, I'll say this , when he got on meds , he did seem like he was doing better. I don't know if he stayed on them , later on.   I don't know. I , personally , never had a bad run - in with him , but , i DID'NT GET IT WITH HIM , EITHER . He had some funny songs , just not , in my opinion , funny or interesting enough for me to consider purchasing. He had some hilarious catch phrases , too. But Chicago is full of what JAMES PORTER DUBBED "R'n'B ECCENTRICS". i'LL TAKE LORD OF LIGHTNING , BIG DOO - WOPPER AND EVEN SHARKULA OVER WESLEY , GOD REST HIS SOUL , JUST THE SAME.

Roky Erickson , of course , was also diagnosed with Schizophrenia (That diagnosis was later put to question.). Schizoprenia , of course , is incurable and is not the fault of those who have it. The big difference , here , though , is that Roky is a musical genius.

Chris Henniker said:

He greeted people with a headbutt, but I wonder whether this exacerbated his Schizophrenia. He harangued his audience with insults, which is why he got kicked out, but didn't he try and control his outbursts?

IDON MINE said:

Various reasons I think. He could be quite vocal at times and coming from his illness, could burst into fits, that he sometimes wasn't able to control. Beyond being a charming guy, in his own way. Wes was just an intense fella.

Also as you sure have heard, his favorite way to say "hi" was to headbutt you (and all kinds of objects, he liked or didn't), hence the mark on his forehead. But John can sure tell more, being local and all.

Chris Henniker said:

Why was he thrown out of venues? He wasn't like GG Allin.

John Battles said:

The Hipsters in Chicago DID devour Wesley , so to speak. But , I think his following was on the wane , and , as noted earlier , I'd been told , by an employee at one of the few places that still admitted him , that every other club in town had banned him , probably meaning every club that , up to that point , he frequented. I used to see him around , with his drawing pad , before he made his way into the Rock club scene , and when he still had an afro. I was'nt even aware that he was mentally ill. He seemed about as low - key as a person his size could probably be. I don't know when he was diagnosed with Schizophrenia , but , many people who are , turn out to be misdiagnosed , they may have something similar , but not always the same thing.

IDON MINE said:

Oh yeah, Wes is the thing! Coming to think of it:

I can only imagine that he would have been eaten up by the new "performance art show" crowd of nowadays, for his, uhm, all natural looking "act." Only to headbutt them  for a hello, haha!

Chris Henniker said:

Anyone like Wesley Willis? A true outsider musician if there ever was one, who was so bad, he was great.

• December 23, 2012 1:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't have a fave exactly, but I listen to King Automatic more than most. Jeffrey Novack, as well.

• December 18, 2012 6:14 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hasil Adkins, Pinche Gringo (Drummer for The Spins, Paint Fumes)

• December 18, 2012 3:34 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

MISSISSIPPI GROVER!

• December 2, 2012 1:21 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

+1 for Scott H. Biram & Bob Log III

• November 30, 2012 7:30 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• November 26, 2012 3:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I know schizophrenia medication makes users sick at times, which would be a reason why he stopped taking them. One of my friends is a psychaitrist and deals with people like him for a living, but he's also a film director too. He knows the type, but What did the Nathan Barley types know that you didn't?

John Battles said:

I would'nt say that the headbutting thing had anything to do with exacerbating his Schizophrenia , Chris , but , it's a good question. What I disagreed with was the fact that he'd go around head - butting total strangers. I would'nt want to get head - butted by a guy one - third his size , but , that's just me. Some people wanted to be head - butted , that's all good and well. But he seemed unable , or too uncaring , to differentiate between the two. I think he mainly got kicked out of clubs because he intimidated paying customers , when it's extremely unlikely that he ever had to pay for anything at venues where he was known , at least. I once saw him try to pay for a burrito at a taqueria with one of his CDs. Someone told him , Wesley , that won't fly here , you HAVE to pay the guy. I could'nt help but notice when he opened his wallet , right in front of me  . There must have been about a hundred to two hundred dollars within , and he was trying to barter with a man that did'nt speak English , nor know of his local celebrity.   The other thing , I would imagine , is , well , his hygeine issues are well - documented , I don't need to go there.

The first time I saw him have an episode (And this was after I'd seen him in passing for years , and did'nt know he heard voices.) he was screaming that he had a gun and a knife , and he was going to kill somebody.

I think all the hipsters knew the score , but , hey , I did'nt. I did'nt think he was really armed , but , he sounded like something out of "Scared Straight". He used intimidation with people to try to get them to by his CDs. I saw him practically crush a woman's arm , one time , yelling "BUY MY CD !!", and she was even apologetic  about it , saying she just did'nt have the money..... I never saw the charming sweetheart that people always said he was , but, I'll say this , when he got on meds , he did seem like he was doing better. I don't know if he stayed on them , later on.   I don't know. I , personally , never had a bad run - in with him , but , i DID'NT GET IT WITH HIM , EITHER . He had some funny songs , just not , in my opinion , funny or interesting enough for me to consider purchasing. He had some hilarious catch phrases , too. But Chicago is full of what JAMES PORTER DUBBED "R'n'B ECCENTRICS". i'LL TAKE LORD OF LIGHTNING , BIG DOO - WOPPER AND EVEN SHARKULA OVER WESLEY , GOD REST HIS SOUL , JUST THE SAME.

Roky Erickson , of course , was also diagnosed with Schizophrenia (That diagnosis was later put to question.). Schizoprenia , of course , is incurable and is not the fault of those who have it. The big difference , here , though , is that Roky is a musical genius.

Chris Henniker said:

He greeted people with a headbutt, but I wonder whether this exacerbated his Schizophrenia. He harangued his audience with insults, which is why he got kicked out, but didn't he try and control his outbursts?

IDON MINE said:

Various reasons I think. He could be quite vocal at times and coming from his illness, could burst into fits, that he sometimes wasn't able to control. Beyond being a charming guy, in his own way. Wes was just an intense fella.

Also as you sure have heard, his favorite way to say "hi" was to headbutt you (and all kinds of objects, he liked or didn't), hence the mark on his forehead. But John can sure tell more, being local and all.

Chris Henniker said:

John Battles said:

The Hipsters in Chicago DID devour Wesley , so to speak. But , I think his following was on the wane , and , as noted earlier , I'd been told , by an employee at one of the few places that still admitted him , that every other club in town had banned him , probably meaning every club that , up to that point , he frequented. I used to see him around , with his drawing pad , before he made his way into the Rock club scene , and when he still had an afro. I was'nt even aware that he was mentally ill. He seemed about as low - key as a person his size could probably be. I don't know when he was diagnosed with Schizophrenia , but , many people who are , turn out to be misdiagnosed , they may have something similar , but not always the same thing.

IDON MINE said:

I can only imagine that he would have been eaten up by the new "performance art show" crowd of nowadays, for his, uhm, all natural looking "act." Only to headbutt them  for a hello, haha!

Chris Henniker said:

Anyone like Wesley Willis? A true outsider musician if there ever was one, who was so bad, he was great.

• November 26, 2012 3:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT ABOUT THE INSULTS BEING A FACTOR....BUT , I NEVER SAW HIM PERFORM. DID'NT FEEL A NEED TO. I THOUGHT A LOT OF PEOPLE WERE MAKING FUN OF HIM , TOO , OR HAD JUST HAD THEIR FILL AND RESORTED TO RUDE COMMENTS , WHICH I'M NOT TRYING TO DO , HERE.

HOW MUCH HE COULD OR COULD'NT CONTROL HIS OUTBURSTS , I COULD'NT REALLY SAY.  

Chris Henniker said:

IDON MINE said:

Chris Henniker said:

John Battles said:

IDON MINE said:

Chris Henniker said:

• November 26, 2012 3:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Idon Mine ....You're right , Doctors have been known to write off a collection of conditions as being Schizophrenia, all there in black and white. It has'nt been proven that Roky has Schizophrenia, nor has it been proven that he does'nt....It's more difficult to diagnose than people seem to think. The point is , as you said , Roky is going from strength to strength , today , detractors be damned (Most likely.). And , we are seeing what would have been deemed impossible only 10 years ago , in all it's glory.

• November 26, 2012 3:02 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Chris Henniker said:

IDON MINE said:

Chris Henniker said:

John Battles said:

IDON MINE said:

Chris Henniker said:

• November 26, 2012 12:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

IDON MINE said:

Chris Henniker said:

John Battles said:

IDON MINE said:

Chris Henniker said:

• November 26, 2012 7:25 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Chris Henniker said:

John Battles said:

IDON MINE said:

Chris Henniker said:

Here for the stir

• November 26, 2012 7:20 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Darn, I always forget that you're from Chicago John!

Yeah, the Schiz has a history of being the "easy way out" for doctors when a group of mental  illnesses surface, or just don't surface enough to give them a good enough idea. It's awful when that strong medication goes all the wrong way i.e. has no sickness to hit.

Speaking of misdiagnosed: My least favourite "story" is the way Roky was treated on base of that joint. It was a long way off for him, but he sure showed those shits was he was able to do all those years later. Not that they care I think...

OK, I'll stay ON topic now.

John Battles said:

IDON MINE said:

Chris Henniker said:

Here for the stir

• November 23, 2012 3:58 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

IDON MINE said:

Chris Henniker said:

• November 23, 2012 3:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

IDON MINE said:

Chris Henniker said:

• November 23, 2012 3:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well , to be fair , his records don't exactly fall out of trees...Even the recent reissue of his one , self - released compilation of various recordings , was limited to 200 copies. I guess there's stuff on the internet , though.

Chris Henniker said:

He needs more recognition, perhaps 6Music should play him more on the Freak Zone.

John Battles said:

J. Henry Timmis IV ( His first name was John.) was a "Bedroom Recording Artist " , like Jandek , in Chicago , in the 70's and 80's , maybe into the 90's. His decidedly lo-fi (Before it was trendy.) recordings included Acid - Punk with a nod to "Raw Power" Stooges and even some more laid - back Psychedelic slow groovers , obviously influenced by Bolan and Bowie.

Timmis IV performed live as "Frankenstein" , taking a visual cue from David Carradine's great characterization of the same name in "Death Race 2000". which meant he wore a black leather mask on stage , ostensibly to hide a burn or crash injury that never happened , as per Carradine's example in the movie. Reportedly , he did'nt play out with a band , instead , opting for tapes of his own music.

I suggested he be included in the Chicago Punk Bio , "You Were'nt There", but , that never happened. Timmis died , probably penniless , 10 or 12 years ago , roughly. I spoke to the one personal friend of his that I knew. All I could get out of him was that J. Henry Timmis IV "Took a lot of drugs" . This was coming from a man who probably took enough drugs to fill Soldier Field. An extremely limited, somewhat recent , reissue of his original LP compilation will probably set you back hundreds of dollars on e-bay , but , I hope some of you have the  chance to hear his music. A Chicago original.

• November 23, 2012 10:50 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, Delany is pretty cool live! He played with the GO-GO boy I mentioned earlier a short while a go where I'm at.

And Dollar Bill sounds like the perfect one an band name, even without the fitting "One" before it, haha.

Gabi de la Merced said:

Currently, I doubt between Dollar Bill and Delaney Davidson. I love Bill's recordings but I haven't seen him live. However on stage Delaney is brutal.

Here for the stir

• November 23, 2012 10:06 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Myself!!!!!  & GHOSTWRITER!!!!!

• November 23, 2012 5:23 AM CST
    • Untitled

Currently, I doubt between Dollar Bill and Delaney Davidson. I love Bill's recordings but I haven't seen him live. However on stage Delaney is brutal.

• November 22, 2012 2:11 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Chris Henniker said:

Here for the stir

• November 22, 2012 2:09 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YEah! He's a good one. He's also in the one-off explosion that is THE BRASILIAN MOB podcast from, ...well Brasil: http://www.garagepunk.com/2008/10/06/the-brazilian-mob/

Along with the "GO-GO boy from Alabama" also one man, also Brasil. But I guess he must already be in here somewhere.

letz said:

did anybody mentioned O Lendário Chucrobillyman? The best brazillian oneman band. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk6_rBJCKP0

Here for the stir

• November 21, 2012 7:06 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel