Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Henry Rollins takes on hipsters!

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 11, 2010 12:20 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

lol love this video. thanks for posting it.
    • November 11, 2010 11:33 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well put, Ms. Stixx! ;)

Henry Rollins played an important and respectful role in the ol' DC scene, and hipsters can sometimes def be annoying. But yeah, he came off as an idiot. I've seen him perform both with the band and spoken word and he can be quite an entertainer. But here, he totally made a fool of himself on camera (it is funny the effects of what putting a camera on someone will do to them). He made a few good points, but then he just dropped the ball. He's the punk rock curmudgeon.
    • November 10, 2010 8:20 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

hahaha! That's what I thought... he handled that quite well

ixnayray said:
      Maybe the tattooed hippy bitch shouldn't have yelled over to him when he was being filmed? I'd have told her to shut the fuck up. Rollins was being polite if you ask me.
    • November 10, 2010 7:33 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Maybe the tattooed hippy bitch shouldn't have yelled over to him when he was being filmed? I'd have told her to shut the fuck up. Rollins was being polite if you ask me.
    • November 10, 2010 4:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I wouldn't get so wrapped up in this, both parties are just mugging for the camera.
    • November 10, 2010 1:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's not really funny, more cringe-worthy.
      The 'Hipster' (?) chick shouldn't have really been mouthing off (for no apparent reason). To actually 'be' cool, one should remain cool - and not blurt out the obvious (in this case: "Henry Rollins is here!?!?").
      Likewise Rollins probably shouldn't have engaged her in one of his 'I'm-gonna-assess-what-you-are-and-how-it-does-or-does-not-relate-to-me-personally' sessions.
      About the only interesting thing in the whole vid (other than Henry's guest/date being excommunicated from Iran) is The Wipers track that is playing in the background. The song is 'Youth Of America' - now THAT'S ironic.
    • November 10, 2010 9:54 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I like how he yells at that bitch, she is a hipster
    • November 10, 2010 7:25 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I can only fully agree on all that Ms. Stixx said.

Here for the stir

• November 10, 2010 6:15 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I suppose I have to defend myself here... I do agree Henry was being an asshole. Very self-righteous. However given where he came from and what he stood for in his younger years, I think it's really funny. He's basically picking on kids because he's all grown up and has figured out how the world works, while the kids in the video are not there yet because they're young. At the same time, it'd be naive to assume that none of the kids in that video weren't dressing the part, so in that sense, it was funny to see them get called out on it. Pretty much everyone in that video was ridiculous.
    • November 9, 2010 3:03 PM CST
    • Untitled

He doesn't know when to shut the fuck up and listen. He has no respect for anyone or anything and his rants are becoming ever less relevant.

The bullshit hoops that some of the old school expect people to jump through are ridiculous. No one has the right to Joe Strummer or Pink Floyd trust fund hipsters simply because they come from middle class families or went to uni. Why? because it's fucking disrespectful, and ignores everything that they have achieved based on social class.

Being a dick like that is almost funny in one of the videos linked on that site when he had greasy, floppy hair. But from a middle aged man who pretends to know everything, he could at least pretend to have learnt some manners along the way.
    • November 9, 2010 2:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Alex, this post should not be inferred as a take on your sense of humor - that's all subjective anyway lol. I just hold the music of that great time near and dear and really hate to see one of main influencers be an ass. Peace ;)
    • November 9, 2010 2:20 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

OK, I cannot let this one go. The fact that someone thought this was hilarious calls for a response. This was NOT funny. Here is why: Having been lucky enough to have seen the brutal live energy of Black Flag 3 times, "grown up" musically/metaphorically with Hank, know about his ego, met him, etc blah blah blah.....there was a real desperation surrounding his "ranting". He has always had a problem (EGOEGOEGO) embracing his legacy with coolness and grace. There are PLENTY of kids today who RESPECT his legacy and what it meant to music and I found it really sad that he had to generalize the younger gen as "tatooed trust fund babies". Even tatooed trust fund babies do not like to be told up front what they think of a certain person but I will guarantee you those who were in his negative aura that night sure as hell wont give a shit about him now OR check out his DVDs, movies, or music - they, rightfully, will just think he's a washed up old has been who HAS sold out! Note of irony/pathos:

Funny how he was standing right in the way of the young band who obviously just finished a set and was coming up the stairs to unload....and had to kind of "wait" for him to get out of the way - indeed, out with the old assholes and in with the new. This Hank moment was not a diss on "hipsters" it was one ex punkrock pioneer making the rest of the (generally extremely cool) ones look bad. Really sad.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel