Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Albums/CDs with only one good song.

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 9, 2013 3:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm doing some fine tuning to my CD collection, and I noticed that I have several CDs with only one song each that I like. Here's my list of those songs....

"Teenage News" from the first Syl Sylvain album - Great opening track, rest of the album didn't do anything for me.

"Another Girl, Another Planet" from "Special View" by the Only Ones - Again, great opening track, rest of the CD didn't do anything for me.

"Teenage Kicks" from the first Undertones' album - Awesome pop tune, but nothing else on the CD really hooked me.

"Roadrunner" from the first Modern Lovers' album - Again, another great tune, but the rest of the CD didn't do anything for me.

"Who Will Save Rock'n'Roll" from DFFD by the Dictators - This was their first new CD in 23 years, and it was released in 2001. Great opening track, not much else on it that I liked.

"Maria Bartiromo" from "Don't Worry About Me" by Joey Ramone - Yes, I know this is Joey we're talking about, but again it's same old problem; one really, really, really great tune, but the rest of the CD didn't do anything for me. Keep in mind that I feel the same way about the splintered Beatles, i.e. they each had their moments as solo artists, but even at their individual best, those moments still paled in comparison with their work as a band.

Anyway, I'm just wondering who else here has an album/CD, or several albums/CDs, with only one song that they like. I know we've all been there, buying an album/CD because we heard a great song from it, and then finding out the rest of it to be underwhelming.
    • July 12, 2013 5:23 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Dark Part of My Mind" is a great track , but, do you not also like "Gimme Gimme Good Lovin'" ? I know the album was mostly recorded by studio hacks , NOT The Crazy Elephant. That album seems to be a bit of a rarity. I've only seen it once.

I like the other songs on "Inna Gadda Da Vida" , though , admittedly , the lyrics often sound dated."Termination" , I think, is a great song. It sounds liek a drug song , but , it's about the legend of The Lorelies (sic). "Are You Happy' has phenomenal drumming on it , with guitar and keyboards in overdrive. "My Mirage" is actually about the death of a friend. It makes more sense , knowing that , Doug Ingle said he wrote it while trying to paint a picture of his late friend on his wall......But , of course , none of this is for everyone. "mOST aNYTHING tHAT yOU wANT , gIRL" INCORPORATES THE SAME INFLUENCE OF tHE cATHOLIC cHURCH  AS "iNNA gADDA dA VIDA" , WITHSIMILAR HEAVY RIFFAGE. SURE "VIDA" IS THE BEST , BUT I STILL LIKE THE OTHE R, SHORTER , NUMBERS , TOO. When I saw them, in '96 , they did a few of them , and they sounded great.

Axel Björnsson said:

dark part of my mind is the only good song with crazy elephant

also inna gadda devita with iron butterfly

• July 12, 2013 5:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I ALMOST FORGOT , X's VERSION OF THE BLASTERS' "LITTLE HONEY" (CO-WRITTEN BY JOHN DOE , AS I RECALL) IS PRETTY ROCKIN' , COMPARED TO THE BLASTERS'
       VERSION , WHICH RECALLS THE LOUVIN BROS.....NOT A DAMN THING WRONG WITH THAT....BUT I WAS JUST WARMING UP TO COUNTRY WHEN THAT CAME OUT , AND I LIKED IT ,BUT IT WAS JUST A TAD ON THE SLOW SIDE FOR ME......THE BEST PART WAS THE LYRIC CHANGE .  PHIL ALVIN : "LITTLE HONEY , WILL YOU PLEASE COME OVER HERE? LITTLE HONEY , WE'VE GOT TO GET SOMETHING CLEAR......"

JOHN DOE: LITTLE HONEY , WILL YOU PLEASE COME OVER HERE.....LITTLE HONEY ,WILL YOU PLEASE BRING ME A BEER?''........Does'nt save "Ain't Love Grand from being an embarrassment.
       John Battles said:

I thought the only really good song on "Rant'n'Rave With The Stray Cats" was "How Long Do You Wanna Live , Anyway?", with it's uncharacteristically raw rock riffage , which sounded more like Cochran than when they were really trying to sound like him. But , that was 30 years ago , I'D PROBABLY THINK IT WAS A PIECE OF SHIT , TOO , IF i HEARD IT , TODAY.

LITTLE RICHARD - "LIFETIME FRIEND" . THE BEAUTY ON DUTY TRIES TO SING ABOUT SUBTLE , AND OBVIOUS , XIAN THEMES TO A ROCK BACKDROP , WHICH ONLY OCCASIONALLY WORKS.  "Great Gosh a'Mighty" , the lone standout track , succeeds on both counts by rockin' like fuck , without pushing the religious envelope too hard. The version in the movie "Down and Out in Beverley Hills" is different. You should be able to buy the 45 from the movie , and the "Lifetime Friend" album and have change from your  Dollar.

iT'S NOT THE ONLY GOOD SONG , BUT IF ALL OF "SANDINISTA!" ROCKED LIKE THE CLASH'S COVER OF THE EQUALS' "POLICE ON MY BACK" , IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A WHOLE OTHER ALBUM(S).

I LOVE X , I'VE LOVED ALMOST EVEYTHING THEY'VE DONE , OR , AT LEAST , LIKED IT....BUT , "AIN'T LOVE GRAND", THAT'S TOUGH....I LIKED "LOVE SHACK" ALL RIGHT. THEIR VERSION OF "ALL OR NOTHING" BY THE SMALL FACES WOULD HAVE BEEN FINE , IF , LIKE THE REST OF THE ALBUM , IT WERE'NT SO DAMNED OVERPRODUCED.

MIND YOU , THOSE SONGS SOUNDED FINE , LIVE.

• July 11, 2013 9:16 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

dark part of my mind is the only good song with crazy elephant

also inna gadda devita with iron butterfly

• July 11, 2013 7:33 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John, I don't know what the problem is, but I can't respond to your private message, and I can't even post a comment on your page. In response to your question, yes, I would like to remain friends with you after the transition.

John Battles said:

SIR DOUGLAS QUINTET "DAYDREAMING AT MIDNIGHT" - There are good SONGS on here , but Doug's Sons and their love for G'N'R permeated the affair ( Shawn Sahm , mind you , is doing an ace job with the reformed Texas Tornados , And Shandon Sahm, well , he joined The Meat Puppets about 15 years after I stoped caring , BUT , I CAN ACCEPT THAT MORE READILY THAN THE MYTH THAT THERE'S ANY G'N'R IN SDQ) ......DOUG CLIFFORD REPLACED THE MIGHTY , MIGHTY MIKE BUCK ON DRUMS , AND I KNOW , I'M WHITE , I REMEMBER NIXON , I SHOULD BE IMPERVIOUS TO HAVING CCR SHOVED DOWN MY THROAT 40+ YEARS. I LIKE SOME OF THEIR SONGS , OK , I GUESS , BUT , I WAS NEVER CRAZY ABOUT HIS DRUMMING.......The BIG problem was how overproduced the album was.You can tell many of these songs would be gems if they sounded RAW (Which G'n'R and friends pretended to be.).......I kept my copy for their version of The Elevators' "You Don't Know(How Young You Are)" , though it , too , could have been stripped down , considerably.

BTW: Doug Sahm rebounded rather quickly with "The Last Real Texas Blues Band , Live at Antones'.".

On the other hand , Doug's otherwise uncommercial ( Swamp Pop -styled songs , all good.), but the ONE radio - friendly song . "Money Over Love" had HIT WRITTEN ALL OVER IT.  Did'nt happen , though.

• July 5, 2013 8:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I thought the only really good song on "Rant'n'Rave With The Stray Cats" was "How Long Do You Wanna Live , Anyway?", with it's uncharacteristically raw rock riffage , which sounded more like Cochran than when they were really trying to sound like him. But , that was 30 years ago , I'D PROBABLY THINK IT WAS A PIECE OF SHIT , TOO , IF i HEARD IT , TODAY.

LITTLE RICHARD - "LIFETIME FRIEND" . THE BEAUTY ON DUTY TRIES TO SING ABOUT SUBTLE , AND OBVIOUS , XIAN THEMES TO A ROCK BACKDROP , WHICH ONLY OCCASIONALLY WORKS.  "Great Gosh a'Mighty" , the lone standout track , succeeds on both counts by rockin' like fuck , without pushing the religious envelope too hard. The version in the movie "Down and Out in Beverley Hills" is different. You should be able to buy the 45 from the movie , and the "Lifetime Friend" album and have change from your  Dollar.

iT'S NOT THE ONLY GOOD SONG , BUT IF ALL OF "SANDINISTA!" ROCKED LIKE THE CLASH'S COVER OF THE EQUALS' "POLICE ON MY BACK" , IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A WHOLE OTHER ALBUM(S).

I LOVE X , I'VE LOVED ALMOST EVEYTHING THEY'VE DONE , OR , AT LEAST , LIKED IT....BUT , "AIN'T LOVE GRAND", THAT'S TOUGH....I LIKED "LOVE SHACK" ALL RIGHT. THEIR VERSION OF "ALL OR NOTHING" BY THE SMALL FACES WOULD HAVE BEEN FINE , IF , LIKE THE REST OF THE ALBUM , IT WERE'NT SO DAMNED OVERPRODUCED.

MIND YOU , THOSE SONGS SOUNDED FINE , LIVE.

• July 2, 2013 3:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Agreed. Really liked the first one but after listening on spotify a few times just downloaded this one song.

Alison said:

Well, to give an answer for an album from 2012, I really enjoyed the sweet ode to La La Land that is the single, "The Only Place" from Best Coast, only to be completely disappointed by the album that shares its title.

• June 18, 2013 9:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sorry , that last paragraph , I was talking about another album , entirely , "Juke Box Music" ,which came out , I think , in 1989."Money Over Love" , I first heard The Sir Douglas Quintet play it live in the Summer of '89 ( I think.) , and  thought , THAT'S a hit (Tho' it was hardly my favorite selection of the evening.), and Doug Sahm later released it on his own. He did'nt have the money to bribe DJs , and I heard his offers of Shiner Bock and Big Red Soda were met with laughter.

John Battles said:

SIR DOUGLAS QUINTET "DAYDREAMING AT MIDNIGHT" - There are good SONGS on here , but Doug's Sons and their love for G'N'R permeated the affair ( Shawn Sahm , mind you , is doing an ace job with the reformed Texas Tornados , And Shandon Sahm, well , he joined The Meat Puppets about 15 years after I stoped caring , BUT , I CAN ACCEPT THAT MORE READILY THAN THE MYTH THAT THERE'S ANY G'N'R IN SDQ) ......DOUG CLIFFORD REPLACED THE MIGHTY , MIGHTY MIKE BUCK ON DRUMS , AND I KNOW , I'M WHITE , I REMEMBER NIXON , I SHOULD BE IMPERVIOUS TO HAVING CCR SHOVED DOWN MY THROAT 40+ YEARS. I LIKE SOME OF THEIR SONGS , OK , I GUESS , BUT , I WAS NEVER CRAZY ABOUT HIS DRUMMING.......The BIG problem was how overproduced the album was.You can tell many of these songs would be gems if they sounded RAW (Which G'n'R and friends pretended to be.).......I kept my copy for their version of The Elevators' "You Don't Know(How Young You Are)" , though it , too , could have been stripped down , considerably.

BTW: Doug Sahm rebounded rather quickly with "The Last Real Texas Blues Band , Live at Antones'.".

On the other hand , Doug's otherwise uncommercial ( Swamp Pop -styled songs , all good.), but the ONE radio - friendly song . "Money Over Love" had HIT WRITTEN ALL OVER IT.  Did'nt happen , though.

• June 18, 2013 11:53 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Replacements - All Shook Down

I got it for "Bent Out Of Shape", but the others were not my cup of tea... :(

• June 17, 2013 7:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• June 17, 2013 7:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If I may , I was'nt talking about the last Dolls reunion album. I heard it was so bad , I did'nt bother , either. You had to have the right people , and the right people joined Michael Monroe's Rock Like Fuck band ( They are'nt called that , but , they could be.).

I may be the only person , here , who likes all four Undertones albums. I'm not crazy about the Soul NUMBERS OF THEIR LAST LP , but , I don't think any of it's bad. And , you can hear some Psych and Garage influences smattered here and there. I like the first Modern Lovers LP and the live CD with JOHN FELICE ,OH , YEAH , AND THE FOWLEY SESSONS ALBUM. Basically , the same LP , three ways. Also a song or two here and there , like "Stop This Car , I'm Gettting Out" (JR solo? I dunno.). Weller , zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I tried , too , but , after The JAM (AND i'M FINDING MYSELF LESS KEEN ON "THE GIFT " IN RECENT YEARS.).

HENTCHMEN , ALWAYS LIKED THEIR LIVE SHOWS MORE THAN THEIR RECORDS , THO' THE FIRST THREE WERE FUN. HAVE'NT SEEN THEM IN ABOUT 8 YEARS.....

trashman said:

Have to join the ranks on what MikeL mentioned above in regards to the Undertones.  I just listened to that over the weekend and said the same as the thread title.  But when we get to that level there are tons of bands without that big hit that I might only say there is one song on that album.  I might join Mike with Modern Lovers album as well; other than roadrunner I don't find myself listening to songs off that debut album.

Vertebrats might come close to this category with "Left in the Dark" but I listened to that one over the weekend as well and found a few tracks on there I listened to on replay.

I never gave the last NY Dolls the time of day and listened to the album only one time.  

I hate to say it but maybe anything put out by Paul Weller in the last 15yrs.  Perhaps hard to find one really good song on any of that.  

hate just repeating all the above so I will throw one out - desparately needed to get the Hentchmen "Three Times Infinity" after hearing "April" on the radio. never listened to that album again.

• June 17, 2013 5:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Really? You didn't like "Get Over You" from the first Undertones album, or "She Cracked" from the first Modern Lovers album?

• June 17, 2013 12:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Have to join the ranks on what MikeL mentioned above in regards to the Undertones.  I just listened to that over the weekend and said the same as the thread title.  But when we get to that level there are tons of bands without that big hit that I might only say there is one song on that album.  I might join Mike with Modern Lovers album as well; other than roadrunner I don't find myself listening to songs off that debut album.

Vertebrats might come close to this category with "Left in the Dark" but I listened to that one over the weekend as well and found a few tracks on there I listened to on replay.

I never gave the last NY Dolls the time of day and listened to the album only one time.  

I hate to say it but maybe anything put out by Paul Weller in the last 15yrs.  Perhaps hard to find one really good song on any of that.  

hate just repeating all the above so I will throw one out - desparately needed to get the Hentchmen "Three Times Infinity" after hearing "April" on the radio. never listened to that album again.

• June 17, 2013 4:58 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, I was really disappointed with that one too.

John Battles said:

THE NEW YORK Dolls' "Because I said So " had two good songs. iT'S TOO BAD , BECAUSE THE FIRST COMEBACK ALBUM WAS VERY GOOD , AND , THIS TIME THEY HAD TODD RUNDGREN TWIDDLIN' THE KNOBS.....

• June 17, 2013 1:16 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THE NEW YORK Dolls' "Because I said So " had two good songs. iT'S TOO BAD , BECAUSE THE FIRST COMEBACK ALBUM WAS VERY GOOD , AND , THIS TIME THEY HAD TODD RUNDGREN TWIDDLIN' THE KNOBS.....

• January 10, 2013 9:57 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Well, to give an answer for an album from 2012, I really enjoyed the sweet ode to La La Land that is the single, "The Only Place" from Best Coast, only to be completely disappointed by the album that shares its title.

• January 10, 2013 4:11 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

James ,  Devil's Advocate talking through me , Tuff Darts doing "All For The Love..." and "Slash" with original singer , Robert Gordon , is one of the only highlights of "Live at CBGB's". Not knocking The Planets or Manster , but Tuff Darts sounded poised to actually do something. 

Yes , if they released "Go Back " and "Lucy" (Second album.) by Crabby Appleton on an OLDIES - STYLE 45 , I'D BUY THE FUCKER.

I HAVE'NT LISTENED TO "INDIAN RESERVATION "  IN CENTURIES , BUT THE RAIDERS' SWANSONG LP ,"COUNTRY WINE" , WHILE NONE OF IT IS GODAWFUL , HAS SOME REALLY BRIGHT SPOTS WITH THE SHOULDA- BEEN - A HIT , "BABY , MAKE UP YOUR MIND" AND THE BIG , BOSS HARD ROCKER "POWDER BLUE MERCEDES QUEEN".

We've had this discussion , but , while "He's Gonna Step on You Again" and "Tokoloshe Man" are the only outstanding cuts on John Kongos' LP , "Kongos" , they're so outstanding , you need the album to have both.

The Rolling Stones' "Black and Blue".....on a whole , the only outstanding track I can think of is "Melody" , co - written by Billy Preston (Also on second vocal.)_. They even admitted , with it's Jazzy phrasing and unusual (For them) chord structure , it'd be damn near impossible to perform , live. I saw Bill Wyman's Orchestra once , and he brought out this BAAD Soul Sister to sing it. I don't even mind "Hot Stuff". Those were the two songs I used to hear on Rock radio at the time , but "Melody" is the primary reason I even own the album. 

The best song on "Emotional Rescue" was "Claudine" , the Rockabilly ode to the Murderess who walked , Actress , Singer , Andy Williams' old lady ,Claudine Longet, and it's not even ON the album. I was'nt there , but she was found guilty , and STILL walked. "CLAUDINE " WAS DEEMED IN BAD TASTE (IMAGINE. THE STONES?!!) AND WAS PULLED FROM THE ALBUM (I HEARD IT WAS ON SOME VERY EARLY PRESSINGS .), BUT IT'S ON THE RECENT "SOME GIRLS" REISSUE.  BTW , THE STONES STOLE FROM THE BEST , LIFTING A BIT OF JACK SCOTT'S "LEROY" FOR THE CHORUS.

James Porter said:

"Go Back" by Crabby Appleton, from their self-titled first LP. Soon as I found the 45, the LP went out the door.

"Indian Reservation" by the Raiders - the only good moment on the Indian Reservation album.

"Your Love Is Like Nuclear Waste" by Tuff Darts, from their Tuff Darts! album on Sire. Third-tier band from the 70s NYC punk scene.

"Ooh La La" by the Faces is the sole highlight of their Ooh La La elpee.

• January 10, 2013 4:52 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

LOL!  That's funny.

Tim said:

Not quite what you were asking - but Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull which came out in 1972 contains only one song.

I bought a second hand copy some years later - simply for its interest as a one track LP.

I don't happen to like Jethro Tull. So I own an LP which has not only one song on it, but a song I don't like.

• January 10, 2013 4:51 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I liked "It's All for the Love of Rock'n'Roll" from that Tuff Darts' CD.  The rest of it is all right, but nothing all that memorable.

James Porter said:

"Go Back" by Crabby Appleton, from their self-titled first LP. Soon as I found the 45, the LP went out the door.

"Indian Reservation" by the Raiders - the only good moment on the Indian Reservation album.

"Your Love Is Like Nuclear Waste" by Tuff Darts, from their Tuff Darts! album on Sire. Third-tier band from the 70s NYC punk scene.

• January 10, 2013 4:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 10, 2013 3:36 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Not quite what you were asking - but Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull which came out in 1972 contains only one song.

I bought a second hand copy some years later - simply for its interest as a one track LP.

I don't happen to like Jethro Tull. So I own an LP which has not only one song on it, but a song I don't like.

• January 9, 2013 8:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Motorhead - "Stand" from "March or Die". I traded my copy in as soon as I played it once or twice. But , recently , I found a cassette and burned that one track on to a CD.

• August 12, 2013 3:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Its so long time i listen to innagaddadevita maybe i have to check it out again. but last time i checked i did'nt like the other songs

yeah i i didn't like gimme gimme good lovin' as well as dark part of my mind. maybe too good song to compete with????

• August 12, 2013 3:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Link Cromwell and the Zoo (Lenny Kaye): "Crazy Like a Fox" from the Crazy Like a Fox - Lenny Kaye 1966 LP on Norton. I'm sorry, but the rest of that album is just a real snoozer.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• August 12, 2013 7:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

the only thing i dislike on the first undertones album is that new wave version of teenage confessions. i agree with that Sylvain Sylvain lp though.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel