Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Some cool movies on TCM

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 23, 2010 12:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This week on Turner Classic Movies during a 36 hour period they showed "WILD GUITAR" (albeit at 5:30AM!), "THIS IS SPINAL TAP" and "WHAT"S UP TIGER LILY". The last 2 were choices from guest programmer Bill Hader from SNL.

It cracked me up listening to the dialogue from SPINAL TAP (all the "fucks" and "fuckin"s) and thinking some insomniac "classic" movie watcher tuning in accidentally hoping to see a nice Andy Hardy movie or something!

• September 24, 2010 7:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

HAHA TCM is actually really cool. I'm hoping in this upcoming month they will do some Halloween gimmick and plays some horror!

-me
    • September 24, 2010 12:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, I'm totally familiar with BORN LOSERS, I've seen quite a few times and I think it's pretty durned enjoyable! Ditto for the Billy Jack series, as corny and clichéd as they can be. There's something about the anti-hero kicking the rednecks ass plot device that's very appealing to me and the Billy Jack movies have that in spades. His hippie wife is pretty hard to take though. My favorite Tom Laughlin movie is Robert Altman's debut THE DELINQUENTS, which TCM shows more than you'd think they would. It has a sense of realism and naturalness to the acting that Altman became known for and Laughlin gets to do his method acting thing in his first starring role. Tonight TCM is showing the mind-blowing INCUBUS, the 2nd (!!!) film made using the failed international language of esperanto. It was directed by Leslie "OUTER LIMITS" Stevens and "stars" William Shatner. It's a real endurance test. One interesting thing about it is the impressive cinematography was done by Conrad Hall, who went on to an impressive career (cool stuff like COOL HAND LUKE, IN COLD BLOOD, HELL IN THE PACIFIC, CATCH MY SOUL, FAT CITY, ELECTRA GLIDE IN BLUE, DAY OF THE LOCUST, SMILE, MARATHON MAN, tons more) and even won 3 Academy Awards for his work on BUTCH CASSIDY & THE SUNDANCE KID, AMERICAN BEAUTY & ROAD TO PERDITION. Check out the full INCUBUS story here: http://www.tcm.com/underground/movies/?cid=258906 Adam Sheets said:
      Gunther Toody said:
      Did yo catch FIVE MINUTES TO LIVE (or DOOR TO DOOR MANIAC) with Johnny Cash a couple of weeks ago? That's a nutty movie!

I've seen it before and you're right. Cash was a surprisingly good actor, but the movie was pure exploitation (just the way I like).

Here's a recommendation for you. It's been on TCM a time or two, but I own the series on DVD. Check out a biker flick from 1967 called The Born Losers. Tom Laughlin as Billy Jack before the actual film Billy Jack catapulted him to stardom, Jane Russell as an aging prostitute and single mother, a hot chick in one of the lead roles, and a Satanic motorcycle gang. Who can ask for more?
    • September 23, 2010 5:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Gunther Toody said:
      Did yo catch FIVE MINUTES TO LIVE (or DOOR TO DOOR MANIAC) with Johnny Cash a couple of weeks ago? That's a nutty movie!
      I've seen it before and you're right. Cash was a surprisingly good actor, but the movie was pure exploitation (just the way I like). Here's a recommendation for you. It's been on TCM a time or two, but I own the series on DVD. Check out a biker flick from 1967 called The Born Losers. Tom Laughlin as Billy Jack before the actual film Billy Jack catapulted him to stardom, Jane Russell as an aging prostitute and single mother, a hot chick in one of the lead roles, and a Satanic motorcycle gang. Who can ask for more?
    • September 23, 2010 5:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• September 23, 2010 12:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I watched Marlon Brando in The Fugitive Kind on TCM earlier in the week.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel