Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: garage / punk saxophonists

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 3, 2010 9:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's a little easier to find info and compilation of the R&B and Rock n' Roll saxophone greats like Hal Singer, Big Jay McNeely, Herb Hardesty (Fats Waller's main cat), Lee Allen (Little Richard and other NOLA guys), Jimmy Wright (Frankie Lymon and Rama Records), Lionel Prevost (Excello saxman), Sam "The Man" Taylor (Screamin' Jay and Atlantic), etc. --

My questions are: who are your favorite garage / punk saxophone players?

I always wonder if I'm missing out some punk or frat rock or garage saxophonists, who do you like? Or any particular singles that you dig the saxophonic frenzy on? I know Surf bands often had sax instrumentals, but none stick out for me deeply.

For example, I love Rob Lind from The Sonics and Johnny Paris of Johnny & the Hurricanes.

For contemporary cats, I've been hearing this guy Dick Boogie from Japan, he's a bad ass tenor sax honker!

I wonder if you all can turn me on to some more screamers and honkers!

• March 24, 2013 12:25 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Maybe X Ray Spex's LP came out in  late '77 , tho' I still remember my copy bearinng a 1978 date....Please don't ask me to climb over all the other crap , now forming a barrier where
      the W thru Z's are in my record bunker.... I also can't remember names for shit. Was it Paul Dean? I fergit , but another , male sax player graced thE LP. 
      John Battles said:

Lora Logic was gone , by the time of X-Ray Spex's first album (She was in the band ca, 76 - 77 , but their first LP did'nt come out 'til 1978.).. She skronked up a storm , tho'.

Logic and Styrene both joined The Hare Krishnas
       , though , it seems Styrene was the more devoted of the two , though , eventually returning to Secular music , in the '90's , with "Conscious Consuner " , X- Ray Spex's  second and final official LP.  Lora Logic also appeared on that CD , and in the "ex - Ray Spex' lineup , which recieved top billing at the Holidays in The SUN FESTIVAL IN '96 , despite Poly Styrene having been ousted from her own band.
      Katie Dubz said:

Lora Logic is great! I really enjoy the band she put together after being booted from Spex...Essential Logic!! I think there was a couple dudes that came after her to play sax in X-Ray Spex but neither could match that coltish self-taught sound she brought to their first album.

John Battles said:

I can't think of that many , besides Mark Lindsay. When The Raiders were still more of a Frat Rock group , he was honkin' his horn a'plenty , and , later on the recited smoocher "Melody For an Unknown Girl.",  already out of date for it's time. I saw Mark in 2001 , and he was wailin' sax on numbers like "You Can't Sit Down" and "Night Train". Of course , The Raiders' "Louie" was more sax - driven , too. I'm not good on names . The Wailers had a couple of great sax players , inc. the guy who played with them in later years , when they stormed the Ponderosa Stomp. He killed !

Screamin' Jay played a pretty mean sax , himself , as did Ray Charles. Dave Hill from The Treniers , who's still alive and well , Dave "Bubba" Mitchell , from Milt Trenier's band , also still alive and CRAZY , as he nears his 90th Year , Earl Bostic , Louis Jordan ,  Lonnie Youngblood , The late , great , Sam Butera , Bobby Keyes , of course , Gordon from The Fleshtones , God Rest His Soul , Lora Logic from X- Ray Spex and Red Krayola , and her successor in the first band - Forgot his name - And ,who's the cat from The Pastel Six? I saw him sit in with Sky Saxon and The Seeds , it worked , too ! , Jesse Scinto , who's a younger guy , is keeping the honkin' sax tradition going , but , he does'nt seem to play much , these days....

• March 17, 2013 11:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Lora Logic was gone , by the time of X-Ray Spex's first album (She was in the band ca, 76 - 77 , but their first LP did'nt come out 'til 1978.).. She skronked up a storm , tho'.

Logic and Styrene both joined The Hare Krishnas
       , though , it seems Styrene was the more devoted of the two , though , eventually returning to Secular music , in the '90's , with "Conscious Consuner " , X- Ray Spex's  second and final official LP.  Lora Logic also appeared on that CD , and in the "ex - Ray Spex' lineup , which recieved top billing at the Holidays in The SUN FESTIVAL IN '96 , despite Poly Styrene having been ousted from her own band.
      Katie Dubz said:

Lora Logic is great! I really enjoy the band she put together after being booted from Spex...Essential Logic!! I think there was a couple dudes that came after her to play sax in X-Ray Spex but neither could match that coltish self-taught sound she brought to their first album.

John Battles said:

I can't think of that many , besides Mark Lindsay. When The Raiders were still more of a Frat Rock group , he was honkin' his horn a'plenty , and , later on the recited smoocher "Melody For an Unknown Girl.",  already out of date for it's time. I saw Mark in 2001 , and he was wailin' sax on numbers like "You Can't Sit Down" and "Night Train". Of course , The Raiders' "Louie" was more sax - driven , too. I'm not good on names . The Wailers had a couple of great sax players , inc. the guy who played with them in later years , when they stormed the Ponderosa Stomp. He killed !

Screamin' Jay played a pretty mean sax , himself , as did Ray Charles. Dave Hill from The Treniers , who's still alive and well , Dave "Bubba" Mitchell , from Milt Trenier's band , also still alive and CRAZY , as he nears his 90th Year , Earl Bostic , Louis Jordan ,  Lonnie Youngblood , The late , great , Sam Butera , Bobby Keyes , of course , Gordon from The Fleshtones , God Rest His Soul , Lora Logic from X- Ray Spex and Red Krayola , and her successor in the first band - Forgot his name - And ,who's the cat from The Pastel Six? I saw him sit in with Sky Saxon and The Seeds , it worked , too ! , Jesse Scinto , who's a younger guy , is keeping the honkin' sax tradition going , but , he does'nt seem to play much , these days....

• January 18, 2013 7:32 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

How could I forget Steve Berlin? OF COURSE , WE ALL KNOW HIM FROM tHE BLASTERS , AND , LATER , LOS LOBOS , BUT HE SQUALLED SOME MEAN PUNK'N'B SAX ON THE FLESHEATERS " A MINUTE TO PRAY....A SECOND TO DIE". Of course , that lineup was the first of several Blasters/X collaborations.

• August 5, 2012 2:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Last I heard , recently , Dave Hill is still doing fine.I think he's 90 years old , now.

John Battles said:

THEY SURE WERE ! I was lucky that I got to see them several times....Milt Trenier had his own club , fantastic place , a real 50's coctail lounge/Jazz club , but anyobody that had PANTS on could come in. The Treniers played there about twice a year. I first saw them in '89. Great performance , but not much at all , in the way of rockin' R'n'B. i WAITED ABOUT 5 YEARS , and saw them again , and the OKEH collection on Sony had come out , so , from thereon in , they were ROCKIN' THE HOUSE , AGAIN !!! If they had an engagement at Milt's place , I'd go at least two nights. I also saw them twice in Vegas. They were the last of a line , barring their friends , Freddie Bell and Sam Butera. Actually , when I saw Bell , it was a big letdown. Never got to see Sam , a bigger disappointment. Milt just turned 82 , and still gigs on a regular basis.

BackdoorStan said:

That guy could squeal up a storm, the Treniers were amazing

• April 29, 2012 5:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

How could I forget , Ken Vandermark , who , for years , might as well have been the only Saxophone Player in Chicago , majored in Avant Jazz , but , took a couple of pitstops to play Rock 'n' Roll , including with The Waste Kings , the Godfathers of Heavy Garage in Chicago. They were too good to be accepted by the miniscule , but growing , 90's Garage scene....They even put out a couple of 45s on Estrus , but , they did'nt SUCK , so it was hard to get the younger crowd on their side. With a new drummer , the group morphed into The Crown Royals(2 LPs/CDs on Estrus.), doing JBs/Meters style Funkstromentals. Later still , Vandermark left , and the remaining members became The Sol- Reys , carrying on in much the same style , with an ace keyboard player , and , eventually , a sax player.

Katie Dubz said:

John Battles said:

• April 29, 2012 5:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm hip. I had the Essential Logic LP , sorry to say , it did'nt do much for me. But , she was perfect for what Mayo Thompson was doing at the time....

Katie Dubz said:

John Battles said:

• April 29, 2012 5:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THEY SURE WERE ! I was lucky that I got to see them several times....Milt Trenier had his own club , fantastic place , a real 50's coctail lounge/Jazz club , but anyobody that had PANTS on could come in. The Treniers played there about twice a year. I first saw them in '89. Great performance , but not much at all , in the way of rockin' R'n'B. i WAITED ABOUT 5 YEARS , and saw them again , and the OKEH collection on Sony had come out , so , from thereon in , they were ROCKIN' THE HOUSE , AGAIN !!! If they had an engagement at Milt's place , I'd go at least two nights. I also saw them twice in Vegas. They were the last of a line , barring their friends , Freddie Bell and Sam Butera. Actually , when I saw Bell , it was a big letdown. Never got to see Sam , a bigger disappointment. Milt just turned 82 , and still gigs on a regular basis.

BackdoorStan said:

• December 24, 2011 5:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

• December 23, 2011 12:13 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 22, 2011 6:32 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Somewhere , I said Dave Hill was the sax man for The Treniers. It was Don Hill.

• December 19, 2011 4:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 19, 2011 3:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I love Steven McKay's Sax playing , even tho' my brief flirtation with Avant Jazz is basically over. He added a lot to the group , and still does. Nice guy , too , met him , briefly , once.

BackdoorStan said:

I love a lot of that guy's playing -- Funhouse is one of my favorite albums of all time. More due to Ron, Scott Asheton and Dave Alexander tho. Yeah, I mean I grew up getting into Steve McKay's sax playing. Iggy told him to play like Maceo Parker (J.B.'s main alto man) on acid! It's kinda how he plays.

ratoonie said:
      my iggy albums are in storage...... way op in Sacramento.....its gonna take me a couple grand to get everything down to L.A.!!

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      What do you think of the saxaphone on Funhouse and 1970 on the second Stooges LP?
    • August 4, 2010 1:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

They'd both have to be to want to cover those two tunes. BackdoorStan said:
      Oh, I actually played a gig with my friends band where one band -PRSMS- covered "1970"
      and they - Passive Aggressor - covered "Fun House." That was my first gig with a saxophone.
      The bands are kind of intense psychedelic noisy hc punk devo beefheartcore whateverness.

BackdoorStan said:
      Oh I listened to Rat Surf #7 podcast yesterday and The Twisters "Count Down 1-2-3" is still haunting me for the weirdness of the sax playing alone. Very cool. Uncoventional sax playing for a cool lil instrumental. No cliches!

ratoonie said:
      my iggy albums are in storage...... way op in Sacramento.....its gonna take me a couple grand to get everything down to L.A.!!

What do you think of the saxaphone on Funhouse and 1970 on the second Stooges LP?
    • August 4, 2010 10:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh, I actually played a gig with my friends band where one band -PRSMS- covered "1970" and they - Passive Aggressor - covered "Fun House." That was my first gig with a saxophone. The bands are kind of intense psychedelic noisy hc punk devo beefheartcore whateverness. BackdoorStan said:
      Oh I listened to Rat Surf #7 podcast yesterday and The Twisters "Count Down 1-2-3" is still haunting me for the weirdness of the sax playing alone. Very cool. Uncoventional sax playing for a cool lil instrumental. No cliches!

ratoonie said:

• August 4, 2010 10:34 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh I listened to Rat Surf #7 podcast yesterday and The Twisters "Count Down 1-2-3" is still haunting me for the weirdness of the sax playing alone. Very cool. Uncoventional sax playing for a cool lil instrumental. No cliches! ratoonie said:

• August 4, 2010 10:31 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I love a lot of that guy's playing -- Funhouse is one of my favorite albums of all time. More due to Ron, Scott Asheton and Dave Alexander tho. Yeah, I mean I grew up getting into Steve McKay's sax playing. Iggy told him to play like Maceo Parker (J.B.'s main alto man) on acid! It's kinda how he plays. ratoonie said:

• August 4, 2010 1:31 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

my iggy albums are in storage...... way op in Sacramento.....its gonna take me a couple grand to get everything down to L.A.!! Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
    • August 4, 2010 1:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• August 4, 2010 12:16 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

wow!!!! Bummer....damm ..we are all getting older.....everyday... BackdoorStan said:
      That guy from Fear-Derf Scratch who takes that wild sax squall solo-just died at the end of July - R.I.P.

ratoonie said:
      Fear----- New Yorks Alright----
      {if you Like saxaphones}...... John Belushis Fave!!!!
    • August 4, 2010 12:08 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That guy from Fear-Derf Scratch who takes that wild sax squall solo-just died at the end of July - R.I.P. ratoonie said:
    • August 3, 2010 11:40 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• August 3, 2010 8:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Am listening to a podcast right now from 2006 (One Cup of Coffee and a Cigarette) and it had a pretty killer tune called Dog Fight by a group called the Hitchhikers and had some great sax on it. Sounded like it came out between 1963-1965.
    • August 3, 2010 5:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, man, saxophone started to disappear coz you could get the honk and scream out of a voice or a fuzz box and guitar distortion. I forgot about that Gentry's tune! A phlegm covered gem if I ever heard one! Thanks! I've heard one of those Las Vegas Grind things they got some nasty tenor saxy R&B stripper music action. Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      I don't know who the members are but there's a group calling themselves the Gentrys that's NOT the "Keep On Dancing" guys. They do asong called "Wild!" on Back From the Grave Vol. 7 (vinyl edition). And it indeed wild. Saxaphone kind of started to disappear after 1966. Even Rob LInd didn't do too much on the third and final Sonics album. Which is why he sang a few numbers. Probably not considered garage proper but the Las Vegas Grind albums have tons of Saxaphone related tunes.
    • August 3, 2010 1:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't know who the members are but there's a group calling themselves the Gentrys that's NOT the "Keep On Dancing" guys. They do asong called "Wild!" on Back From the Grave Vol. 7 (vinyl edition). And it indeed wild. Saxaphone kind of started to disappear after 1966. Even Rob LInd didn't do too much on the third and final Sonics album. Which is why he sang a few numbers. Probably not considered garage proper but the Las Vegas Grind albums have tons of Saxaphone related tunes.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel