Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: A Scanner Darkly and other Philip K Dick movies

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 8, 2010 4:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just watched "A Scanner Darkly" yesterday. Cool movie that was shoot digitaly, then animated by "interpolated rotoscope". The effect is strange at first but you get used to it and enjoy it along with the plot of the movie.The acting by Robert Downey jr is good, and actually the role that keanu Reeves plays suits his acting style. The movie is about a drug that has taken over thecountry/world and gives users permanent brain damage. Keanu's character is an undercover agent, but is also unknown at the department as such, via a "Scramble suit" that hides his identity to even his direct superiors. Keanu ends up addicted to the drug called Substance D and struggles to determine if he's losing his mind or not.

Then came the surprise, it is based off a novel by Philip K Dick, not knowing who he was led me to find out he wrote the stories, that the following movies are based off. Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report, screamers and Next. I guess maybe I have some reading to do now too.

• August 11, 2010 1:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The film in VALIS was inspired by the 1970's cult sci-fi movie "The Man Who Fell to Earth" starring David Bowie and directed by Nicholas Roeg. Ben said:
      I could not agree more. Unfortunately, I caught on to PKD only a few years ago. VALIS blew my mind! I wish Kenneth Anger and David Lynch would collaborate on the VALIS film that Horselover Fat & Friends obsess on in the book.
    • July 11, 2010 4:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ridley Scott didn't even read Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep before he directed Blade Runner.
    • July 11, 2010 6:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey Hollywood! Do The Threee Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. I dare ya!

GAUNTLANT THROWN
    • July 9, 2010 10:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I could not agree more. Unfortunately, I caught on to PKD only a few years ago. VALIS blew my mind! I wish Kenneth Anger and David Lynch would collaborate on the VALIS film that Horselover Fat & Friends obsess on in the book.
    • July 8, 2010 5:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

if you do read his books (which i have been obsessed with since i was a teen), you will find out that NONE of these films com close to even getting near the weirdness & insanity that Dick wrote down. Weirder & more incredible are the books about PKD and his alien/speed concepts... In February and March 1974, Dick experienced a series of visions and auditions including an information-rich "pink light" beam that transmitted directly into his consciousness. A year after the events, in March 1975, Dick summarized the 2-3-74 experiences that would pervade his writing for the final eight years of his life: http://www.philipkdick.com/aa_biography.html

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel