Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Goth Rock

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 26, 2010 12:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I love this awesome branch out of punk. Siouxsie and The Banshees and Bauhaus are fucking amazing! Anyone else like this stuff?
    • October 5, 2012 8:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanx Joanie, i´ve just discovered Skeletal Family and Play Dead.  i guess i´ve never heard them before. Better late than never! :)

Joanie Lindstrom said:

I saw Tuxedo Moon open for Bauhaus in London in 1980 (on Halloween).  Also saw a show there w/ Wasted Youth, Sex Gang Children and UK Decay.  Pretty cool. Not sure if anyone's mentioned Skeletal Family, an overlooked band from the era. And Play Dead.

• October 5, 2012 8:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Tuxedomoon were great! They use to live in Italy in the 80s, I´ve seen them many times live. :) Did someone mentioned Devo or the Residents? Important bands back then.

• October 5, 2012 8:13 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I saw Tuxedo Moon open for Bauhaus in London in 1980 (on Halloween).  Also saw a show there w/ Wasted Youth, Sex Gang Children and UK Decay.  Pretty cool. Not sure if anyone's mentioned Skeletal Family, an overlooked band from the era. And Play Dead.

• October 5, 2012 8:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yep, I love goth too (Bauhaus live ´82? was simply fantastic!) but not only ... In general love most stuff from the 80s. It´s my time, my music and Kopper´s list could be my list too! In there i would add bands like Sonic Youth, Pere Ubu, Tuxedomoon, Pixies, the Sounds, Beasts of bourbon, Foetus, to mention very few more... 

One band who devastated me (about ´81) was Circus Mort, just 4 songs but WOW!!!!!!!!!! (I was also really impressed by their drums). Unfortunately i´ve never seen Circus Mort live just few years later, Swans (was great too:)

C.M. live:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Feccv97AYt8  C.M. live

• October 1, 2012 7:55 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Is this in response to something in particular or you just think this is a good record or what? It seems to be a pretty random comment.

Erik Johannes Matze said:

Join Hands is the second studio album by English post-punk band Siouxsie and the Banshees. It was released by Polydor Records in September 1979. It reached number 13 in the UK albums chart.[1] Guitarist John McKay and drummer Kenny Morris left the band shortly after the album's release.

• October 1, 2012 7:22 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Join Hands is the second studio album by English post-punk band Siouxsie and the Banshees. It was released by Polydor Records in September 1979. It reached number 13 in the UK albums chart.[1] Guitarist John McKay and drummer Kenny Morris left the band shortly after the album's release.

• August 30, 2011 6:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow! Kopper really hit the nail on the head with all those bands!!! I've never heard of Magazine so I'll have to check them out.

I totally still enjoy some of that old goth-y stuff. I booked a show with Peter Murphy a few months ago and he was awesome. It was so great to see some of the old Bauhaus classics live.

• August 30, 2011 5:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

love bahaus tbut the damned blow me away daily
    • April 20, 2011 2:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Did anyone mention Forbidden Dimension or any other Jackson Phibes' stuff? He's a Canadian that totally rips: punky, smart, fun, technically literate, sings about goth/horror stuff non-stop, and even wears make-up and other horror costume/goth get-up. Check it out: http://forbiddendimension.exophagy.com/main.html
    • April 18, 2011 6:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Jimi by Butthole Surfers? I love how it goes completely different almost pastoral near the end...

Or maybe I'm just thinking its goth rock because I listened to it at the same time I was listening to loads of goth :)

Heehee...and was listening to Rudimentary Peni, had totally forgotten about them gonna go youtube them now...

But my fave goth-y song is "Jack on Fire" by Gun Club

• April 18, 2011 2:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Tune in, we play lots of those bands,

also on I-Tunes radio under Alternative Rock

Babylon Street Radio

• January 6, 2011 2:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I agree totally with Bill Wellham. Back at the start there was lots of crossover and labels didn't matter (still don't in fact!). The band I was in started as straight ahead punk rock Clash clones and mutated into what would now be called Goth. Back then it didn't even have a name and no real scene outside London to speak of where Sex Gang Children, Southern Death Cult, Theatre of Hate and a few others were "positive punk" (remember that people? Vague fanzine did a big piece...) It was supposed to be a reaction against the nihilism and pointless anarchy-pose of the Pistols and their followers - The Exploited, Chron Gen Anti-Pasti, all things Oi! etc etc. Alternative music with a message of hope, positivity, a "can-do" attitude and anything is possible in a personal and socio-politcal context..Sounds like total wank when all you want to do is dance, play bass, drink and meet girls, but I was only 14....For what it's worth I have quite a narrow view of Goth. Sex Gang, SDC, ToH, Sisters of Mercy, Fields of the Nephilum, Mission...and maybe a couple of other bands that grew up around The Batcave scene. Remember many Batcave regulars were also psychobillies stomping at the Klub Foot! Does good music really need a label?
    • January 6, 2011 1:20 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My top goth rock experience was seeing the Swans in '86 at the Rat in Boston. They were at their peak, hard as nails. One of the most powerful shows I've ever seen. Just for yuks, I dressed all in white and looked like a snowflake in a coal mine amid all the black-shrouded goths. I saw Sonic Youth the next month but they weren't as good.
    • January 3, 2011 4:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Big favorite of mine is Kid Congo Powers' post-Cramps band Fur Bible who released one towering 4-song EP then disappeared in the face of widespread derision. Wish someone cared enough to do a Kid Congo career perspective collection.
    • January 3, 2011 5:01 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Back in the day...   England, early 80's..  I went to a regular little club that was full of goths, rockabillies, punks and general new wavers.  All the music was just a mixture of everything.  There was no music rule.  Everyone jumped around to everything.  I was a wannabe psychobilly dressed like a rockabilly; and my girlfriend was a gorgeous Goth with big black hair and white make up.  it just didnt matter.  Our record collections would cross over and overlap.  I saw Bauhaus live several times, Souixie numerous times...  while I dragged my poor girlfriend along to wreck to the Guana Batz and Meteors gigs.

I still listen to most kinds of music (to a limit, obviously), but I will always have a fondness for the Goth scene.  There is a lot of humour behind the black and white make up and morbid lyrics.

I wonder what my gothy girlfriend is listening to now, 25 years later...   will never know.

• October 2, 2010 7:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What about Specimen?
    • October 1, 2010 1:46 AM CDT
    • Untitled

That just reminded me to listen to Eighties matchbox bline disaster.
    • October 1, 2010 1:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

They're not necessarily a goth rock band although the media often tends to label them 'gothabilly' is a more modern band from Brighton in England called The Eighties Matchbox B-line Disaster, their first album Horse of the Dog is awesome dark themed garagey punk and one of my favourites. Definitely worth checking out. Then there's the Vile Imbeciles who was started by the Eighties Matchbox lead guitarist after he left the band which is more in the Birthday Party sort of vein. Both great bands I'd highly recommend.
    • July 1, 2010 10:04 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Some people also consider Lords of the New Church, The Mission/Mission UK and Dead Can Dance Gothic too.
    • July 1, 2010 4:18 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Haven't seen any mention The Fields of the Nephilim yet or maybe they have. Basic shit goth rock. I'm sure someone likes them... maybe.

If ya wanna hear something a bit freakier try Diamanda Galás. Litanies of Satan or Plague Mass should help you sleep well.
    • July 1, 2010 3:58 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Desperate Twisters said "Or, check this dead cool thing : THE HOUSE OF WILD DELIGHTS #3 . He's another friend ours...but I'm not sure he's still alive too ! Fucking suicidal freaks !" Thank you Desperate Suckers ! See I'm still alive ! Well am I ? In the same "who switched off the light, it's so dark here now I feel like a mole wearing shades and I can't breathe anymore but I don't care coz I've already reached the depths of the well of misery and I know I'll never get out and I don't give a fuck coz I don't want to ever see the light again anyway"mood, you could chek THAT too. Have fun you handsome little black wearing creatures of the outside world ! p.s. : About THE SOUL DERVISH , haven't heard from him for a while... he's probably hanging swingin' on a rope in his moisty cave... Cheers !!!
    • June 30, 2010 4:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Hey, if you wanna get some kinda jungle-swamp-suffocating-goth thrill, check THE SOUL DERVISH . You may enjoy...and he's a friend of ours (though I'm not sure he's still alive). Or, check this dead cool thing : THE HOUSE OF WILD DELIGHTS #3 . He's another friend ours...but I'm not sure he's still alive too ! Fucking suicidal freaks !
    • June 30, 2010 7:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

If you're gonna get kind of industrial, I'd add Cassandra Complex, Frontline Assembly, X Mal Deutschland, Front 242, Neon Judgement, Skinny Puppy, Cabaret Voltaire, etc. Good stuff. Other old goth includes UK Decay, Wasted Youth, Sex Gang Children (saw those 3 bands on the same bill once), old Dead or Alive (completely different before You Spin Me Round), Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Theatre of Hate, S Haters, Danse Society, Tubeway Army, Skeletal Family, etc etc etc. I fill in on the goth show occasionally and have a ton of that old stuff (I can send the OP playlists with pretty complete LP info if he wants). Some good newer bands are London After Midnight, December Sound, Dead Sea Surfers and Cruxshadows. Not sure why Kopper put the Hoodoo Gurus in a goth/dark feeling list but it's all subjective I guess. The screamin' Soul Preacher said:
      Did anyone mention Einstürzende Neubauten ? Guess you should check their 80's stuff (even if some call it more indus than goth).
      And what about Killing Joke first 2 lp and singles ?
      Early Wall of Voodoo (Stan Ridgway period) should be tried too if you ain't afraid of mixing Suicide with country music !

About Bauhaus, I really loved them when I was a kid but I can't listen to them anymore...much too arty and Bowiesque to my dirty old ears...
      About the intro of "Bela Lugosi's dead" picked up by The Dirtbombs in their "Kung-Fu" version, Jay Reatard did the same thing in "Blood visions" (the song).
      About The Sisters of Mercy, if you ain't dead of too much laughing after listening to their "First and last and always" lp, you'd better try the first eps, especially the one with "Alice" and their cover of "1969". Those eps are also gathered in the "Some girls wander by mistake" cd. But, once again, you may laugh more than cry... which is quite a pity for a wannabe dark and romantic goth !

About the bands that deals with dark and horror themes, you can't forget the kings of Psychobilly : The Meteors !

At last, I would say better forget about all these not so great bands, who probably used to spend more time fixing their dark mascara and blood red lipstick than practicing witchcraft in spooky cemetaries under the full moon, and please check each and every stuff with Steve Pallow or Haunted George in !!!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel