Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Goth Rock

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 26, 2010 6:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I guess to a certain extent Pere Ubu could be included as well. Alex Patton said:
      And later Damned stuff could very easily be considered Goth. Big Black is another good band in that vein.
    • June 26, 2010 6:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

And later Damned stuff could very easily be considered Goth. Big Black is another good band in that vein.
    • June 26, 2010 6:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey, that guy covered pretty much all of that stuff. Another really awesome, awesome, awesome band along the lines of Wire, Joy Division, and all that early eighties synth heavy darker stuff is Magazine. It's the band that Howard Devoto started after he left the Buzzcocks and they are classic. The album Real Life is fantastic. It has a very morbidly cryptic feel to it. I dig it. It kind of reminds me of Devo on a bad acid trip.
    • June 26, 2010 5:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

kopper said:
      I still listen to Bauhaus now and then. It's funny... the Dirtbombs' version of "Kung Fu" (where they basically incorporate "Bela Lugosi's Dead" into a cover of Curtis Mayfield's classic soul number) actually got me listening to them again when Ultraglide in Black came out in 2001. Listened to that album right after it came out almost non-stop while driving to NYC just a month after 9/11 for Cavestomp. CLICK HERE to listen. I'd probably avoided Bauhaus since the mid-'80s before then. Tones on Tail, Lords of the New Church, Southern Death Cult, etc. I like Joy Division a lot, too. I remember having the "Black Planet" album by Sisters of Mercy back then, too, but I just can't listen to that stuff anymore without laughing.

I guess the Damned could be considered goth punk, right? Still listen to them, although I've never been too crazy of their post-Strawberries stuff. Try Phantasmagoria, though. And once in a while I'll still listen to the Misfits, especially around Halloween (although I still prefer the Cramps). Do you like the Cramps? Not "goth" but they do sing about dead stuff, zombies, and whatnot. Kinda spooky! And the Mummies, haha! ;)

But seriously, here are some bands you should seek out. The following aren't typically considered "goth," more like dark-themed garage, punk/rock'n'roll, art punk, black metal, swamp rock, avant-garde, etc., but you might like them:

T.S.O.L.
      The Wipers
      Gun Club
      Hoodoo Gurus
      Satan's Cheerleaders
      The Fiends
      Wire
      Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
      The Honeymoon Killers
      Poison 13
      The Gories (Mick Collins' band before the Dirtbombs)
      Dwarves (Horror Stories or Lick It LPs)
      Dead Moon
      Destruction Unit
      The Hex Dispensers
      Lost Sounds
      Suicide
      Roky Erickson & the Aliens
      The Horrors (from Cedar Rapids on In The Red Records, not the UK band)
      The Hunches
      The Blowtops
      Mystery Girls
      Television
      Modey Lemon
      The Monsters (The Lightning/Reverend Beat-Man's band!)
      The Fuzztones
      The Priests
      New Salem Witch Hunters
      The Nomads
      Radio Birdman
      The Nevermores
      Rocket From the Tombs
      The Original Sins
      Demon's Claws
      Cheater Slicks
      Black Time
      The Deadly Snakes
      The Fall
      The Screamers
      Crime
      Brian Eno
      The Mirrors
      The Daily Void
      The Gris Gris
      Subsonics
      The Vipers
      Ty Segall
      Haunted George (ha!)
      And you'd probably like the Black Lips, too, although you've probably already heard them. Try their earlier stuff, though.

And for '60s stuff, try the Monks, Sean Bonniwell's Music Machine, Love, the Seeds, 13th Floor Elevators, the Calico Wall, Electric Prunes, the Haunted, Can, the Velvet Underground, Zakary Thaks, Them, Stooges, Godz, Captain Beefheart, early (Syd Barrett-era) Pink Floyd, the Omens, Pebbles comps, and, yeah, ok, the Doors. Oh, and Screaming Jay Hawkins. ;)

I keep more or less that list handy whenever someone asks me if I like goth rock. I realize it's all over the place, but seriously, check some of them out if you haven't already. You might get sucked in!
      I do like the Cramps, they're an entertaining and interesting band. The Misfits are always awesome too. I'm definitely checking out the bands you listed. Thanks for going so in depth :)
    • June 26, 2010 3:41 PM CDT
    • Untitled

My jukebox has "R.I.P." by Alien Sex Fiend on it but it sounds more punk than goth.
    • June 26, 2010 8:22 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I still listen to Bauhaus now and then. It's funny... the Dirtbombs' version of "Kung Fu" (where they basically incorporate "Bela Lugosi's Dead" into a cover of Curtis Mayfield's classic soul number) actually got me listening to them again when Ultraglide in Black came out in 2001. Listened to that album right after it came out almost non-stop while driving to NYC just a month after 9/11 for Cavestomp. CLICK HERE to listen. I'd probably avoided Bauhaus since the mid-'80s before then. Tones on Tail, Lords of the New Church, Southern Death Cult, etc. I like Joy Division a lot, too. I remember having the "Black Planet" album by Sisters of Mercy back then, too, but I just can't listen to that stuff anymore without laughing. I guess the Damned could be considered goth punk, right? Still listen to them, although I've never been too crazy of their post-Strawberries stuff. Try Phantasmagoria, though. And once in a while I'll still listen to the Misfits, especially around Halloween (although I still prefer the Cramps). Do you like the Cramps? Not "goth" but they do sing about dead stuff, zombies, and whatnot. Kinda spooky! And the Mummies, haha! ;) But seriously, here are some bands you should seek out. The following aren't typically considered "goth," more like dark-themed garage, punk/rock'n'roll, art punk, black metal, swamp rock, avant-garde, etc., but you might like them: T.S.O.L. The Wipers Gun Club Hoodoo Gurus Satan's Cheerleaders The Fiends Wire Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds The Honeymoon Killers Poison 13 The Gories (Mick Collins' band before the Dirtbombs) Dwarves (Horror Stories or Lick It LPs) Dead Moon Destruction Unit The Hex Dispensers Lost Sounds Suicide Roky Erickson & the Aliens The Horrors (from Cedar Rapids on In The Red Records, not the UK band) The Hunches The Blowtops Mystery Girls Television Modey Lemon The Monsters (The Lightning/Reverend Beat-Man's band!) The Fuzztones The Priests New Salem Witch Hunters The Nomads Radio Birdman The Nevermores Rocket From the Tombs The Original Sins Demon's Claws Cheater Slicks Black Time The Deadly Snakes The Fall The Screamers Crime Brian Eno The Mirrors The Daily Void The Gris Gris Subsonics The Vipers Ty Segall Haunted George (ha!) And you'd probably like the Black Lips, too, although you've probably already heard them. Try their earlier stuff, though. And for '60s stuff, try the Monks, Sean Bonniwell's Music Machine, Love, the Seeds, 13th Floor Elevators, the Calico Wall, Electric Prunes, the Haunted, Can, the Velvet Underground, Zakary Thaks, Them, Stooges, Godz, Captain Beefheart, early (Syd Barrett-era) Pink Floyd, the Omens, Pebbles comps, and, yeah, ok, the Doors. Oh, and Screaming Jay Hawkins. ;) I keep more or less that list handy whenever someone asks me if I like goth rock. I realize it's all over the place, but seriously, check some of them out if you haven't already. You might get sucked in!

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel