Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Worst Movies Ever

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 1, 2011 5:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're so right. Sometimes , it IS fun to go over those DVD sets , though , and figure out which ones are your favorites....I found a Scottish version of "The Wolfman" from the 70's that I'd never heard of , and I spend WAY too much time reading about and watching these films. It's not bad ! But , I always concurred with the general public opinion that "They Saved Hitler's Brain" was ONE OF the worst , ever. It was seperately shot , over two periods of time , five years apart , no doubt, with different scripts , too , so the end result is incomprehensible. BUT , I found an edited version made for Television (Probably in the Late 60's) in one of those DVD sets , and it actually made sense , by comparison. Not only that , but Hitler's still - living noggin makes more appearances than the version I actually used to SEE on TV.... It's , at least , watchable , and  the (Unintentional) humor is intact.
      Atom Age Vampire I thought was....OK . Nothing special. But ,that's part of the game , sometimes you find a gem , and others , just a lump of coal.
      Soraia said:

I was pretty disappointed by Atom Age Vampire, I had high hopes because of Balzac...

I dig those cheap collections of old public domain horror flicks, but there's also a good percentage of unwatchable crap on them

• November 1, 2011 5:26 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Yeah, I knew Bakshi had done "Fritz the Cat" but he didn't want any part in the sequel. The sequel wasn't horrible, in my opinion, but it does pale in comparison to the first film. Crumb was so unhappy with the film treatment of his character that he killed Fritz off in his comics, figuring "out of sight, out of mind." But of course the sequel came, due in large part because his wife had some ownership in the character.

Another favorite Bakshi film was the controversial "Coonskin" which I think was yanked from theatres after one week because of protests over it's depictions of minorities. When it was released on VHS years later, it was re-titled "Street Fight" (when I got my hands on it). It was rumored at one time that Blue Underground was going to release it on DVD, but this is still yet to happen.

By the way, Ivan Reitman directed "Heavy Traffic", which is probably why a number of SCTV cast members provided voices.

John Battles said:

Bakshi had no involvement with "Fritz The Cat" ? I've never heard that before , he's always at the top of the credits , and it's always had the earmarks of one of his pictures ,  but , it's true , Crumb is'nt , because he demanded that he , the creator , have his name withdrawn from the credits. It could have been a different story if he'd chosen to be directly involved (Bakshi , probably after the rights to the character , arguably did'nt want that anymore than Crumb.) . "Heavy Traffic " and "Hey , Good Lookin'" are  better choices , if you're looking to get into Bakshi's back catalogue , but , I always liked "Fritz" all right. The more mainstream stuff , like "Wizards" , "Heavy Metal" and "American Pop" , which is better than it's rep would have you believe , you might want to watch , later. I have'nt seen his largely forgotten "Lord of The Rings" came out. I only started going back and watching his films , recently.   Bakshi did the "Spiderman" cartoons , too , but , on a much smaller budget , of course.

"Fritz" also benefits from the use of "Bo Diddley" by Bo Diddley , who complained in the press about not being consulted over it's use. He should have been , but , he no longer owned the rights , so making him aware that his song was appearing in a movie was a formality , deemed unnecessary.

Ben Simon said:

A few days ago, I watched The Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat, the sequel to Fritz the Cat that was made without the involvement of Ralph Bakshi or Robert Crumb. I can see why Crumb doesn't acknowledge its existence. Although the 70s funk soundtrack helped it a little.
    • November 1, 2011 5:16 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Ha! I enjoyed "Attack Of the Killer Tomatoes", but then again, I've never claimed to have good taste in movies...You may not want to listen to my latest "40 Oz. Nonsense" then, because I played the theme song!
      John Battles said:
      How could I have forgotten "Attack of The Killer Tomatoes" ? It's so slow - moving , it does'nt even rate as Comedy. Lloyd Kaufman is always being cited as the world's worst Director (They've obviously never seen anything by Dave "The Rock" Nelson.), but , at least there's some laughs to be had , there. "Killer Tomatoes" REALLY went out of it's way to be barely watchable , and succeeded.

John Battles said:

I've seen SO many bad  films , without benefit of seeing many of the box office blockbusters of the last 15 years , it's hard to choose. I saw "Sgt. Pepper" recently for the first time since it came out,and , yes , it DOES live up to it's reputation as one of the worst movies , ever , and , yet , I was fascinated by how bad it truly was . A non - director put in charge of non - actors (For the most part. Donald Pleasance was a fine actor, but , it's amazing how bad he was , here. George Burns was still funny into his 80's....MOST of the time , but , not here.....) , in a "story" set to non - Beatle songs. Some people will argue there were a few salvageable musical bits - Earth , Wind and Fire's "Got To Get You Into My Life" , Aerosmith's "Come Together" (I'm decades over my interest in Aerosmith , but , like the former , they did it their way.) and /or Billy Preston's "Get Back" . Yes , Preston was on the original , but , it's interesting to note that even "The Rutles : All You Need is Cash" had stronger ties to The Beatles (And even The Stones !) than that. But , among many bummer career moves - Alice Cooper as The Reverend Sun.  Alice SHOULD have been Cousin Kevin in "Tommy". He should have left this non - movie alone.  John Mayall is mugging a LOT in the finale. Jim Dandy is also in the closer , but I could'nt spot him. He's hilarious after a few drinks.

Not defending Robert Stigwood , here , but , a lot of people don't know that "Sgt. Pepper" had previously been an unsuccessful Broadway show with Ted ("Jesus Christ") Neely , so ,  apparently there WAS a template for this ...ummm....motion picture. Maybe the play did'nt have a script , either.

• November 1, 2011 5:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well said. I just saw "Last Man on Earth" as part of a "Vincentennial" double feature. Victoria Price , Vincent's Daughter , gave a great lectuure and slide presentation on her Father.

You can see , obviously , how this film influenced "Night of The Living Dead". The idea that it's the end of the world , and the walking dead have taken over , with a feeling of enclosure from the last man , and his still - living new lady friend. It's too late for them to repopulate the earth. A real pity , Uncle Vinnie.

Frank N. Stroud said:

The Will Smith "I Am Legend" is pure blasphemy unto the name of Richard Matheson. I'm so tired of seeing people that don't have a REAL love for Horror/Sci Fi churning out conjibulated mish mash remakes.

I LOVE "Last Man On Earth and "Omega Man", either one of which is a gazillion times better than "Fresh Prince Of Zombietown".

• November 1, 2011 5:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sir Raleigh and The Coupons , That's a GREAT name , I remember that....The Juveniles' version on "Wavy Gravy" kills...I hope that's not the one you mean , as Tim Warren had a tendency to change the artist's names on his comps.  But , yes , that song (?) is called "Puberty Love". Hey , if you've got it , ADD it !

Bryan Hovercraft said:

oh no 'Attack of the Killer' tomatoes reminds me check out whether there is a radio spot or actual 45 of the appaling song that repeatedly blurts out  throughout the film from the car 'puberty love' I think it is called - i am still deciding whether over time or not to add pics etc of our 'worst ever music 45's' - yes ... somewaht sadly we collect these too - there is one in my pics on ARZEE if my memory serves me well by Bobby Saver [ Count drac ] called 'The Trance' - the trance is pretty damn trashy and maybe not so good if you like good music ... but it is their version of 'Hey Bo diddly' on the other side that really deserves to be somewhere up there in the worlds worst hall of fame - it is actually so bad that it is brilliant  [sorry Bobby & the guys if you ever read this ... but we do actually love it !!!! ] although somewhere in my trash filled addled mind is a file that contains info: on Bobby Saver - I'm stuffed if i can currently remember anything more here ...  ; )  pals & ourselves have been running an ouch style toothache /bad 45 competion hunt for years - another that springs to mind is called 'something or other' by Sir Raleigh & the Cupons - can't off hand remember the label / date / early to mid 60's sound - a true classic...  'Lost' [a cricket in my ear ] by the Webs is also a real corker - but i seem to remember somewhere that it has been said by some to be a modern [ish] 45 track made to look & sound old - so don't quote me on that guys ... ; ) the a-side of the Webs 45 is a really excellent & cool version of the moody surf classic 'Blue skies'

John Battles said:

I've seen SO many bad  films , without benefit of seeing many of the box office blockbusters of the last 15 years , it's hard to choose. I saw "Sgt. Pepper" recently for the first time since it came out,and , yes , it DOES live up to it's reputation as one of the worst movies , ever , and , yet , I was fascinated by how bad it truly was . A non - director put in charge of non - actors (For the most part. Donald Pleasance was a fine actor, but , it's amazing how bad he was , here. George Burns was still funny into his 80's....MOST of the time , but , not here.....) , in a "story" set to non - Beatle songs. Some people will argue there were a few salvageable musical bits - Earth , Wind and Fire's "Got To Get You Into My Life" , Aerosmith's "Come Together" (I'm decades over my interest in Aerosmith , but , like the former , they did it their way.) and /or Billy Preston's "Get Back" . Yes , Preston was on the original , but , it's interesting to note that even "The Rutles : All You Need is Cash" had stronger ties to The Beatles (And even The Stones !) than that. But , among many bummer career moves - Alice Cooper as The Reverend Sun.  Alice SHOULD have been Cousin Kevin in "Tommy". He should have left this non - movie alone.  John Mayall is mugging a LOT in the finale. Jim Dandy is also in the closer , but I could'nt spot him. He's hilarious after a few drinks.

Not defending Robert Stigwood , here , but , a lot of people don't know that "Sgt. Pepper" had previously been an unsuccessful Broadway show with Ted ("Jesus Christ") Neely , so ,  apparently there WAS a template for this ...ummm....motion picture. Maybe the play did'nt have a script , either.

• November 1, 2011 5:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The original , British , version of Raw Meat is actually very good , but , it was edited severely before being imported to these shores. I forget what the original working title was...

Kc said:

Worst for me is Raw Meat

I was utterly fooled by the awesome sounding title. To finish this film was like pulling teeth- except my teeth were braincells and the dentist was a nimwit director. 

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slxl7hxiHc0

• November 1, 2011 4:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bakshi had no involvement with "Fritz The Cat" ? I've never heard that before , he's always at the top of the credits , and it's always had the earmarks of one of his pictures ,  but , it's true , Crumb is'nt , because he demanded that he , the creator , have his name withdrawn from the credits. It could have been a different story if he'd chosen to be directly involved (Bakshi , probably after the rights to the character , arguably did'nt want that anymore than Crumb.) . "Heavy Traffic " and "Hey , Good Lookin'" are  better choices , if you're looking to get into Bakshi's back catalogue , but , I always liked "Fritz" all right. The more mainstream stuff , like "Wizards" , "Heavy Metal" and "American Pop" , which is better than it's rep would have you believe , you might want to watch , later. I have'nt seen his largely forgotten "Lord of The Rings" came out. I only started going back and watching his films , recently.   Bakshi did the "Spiderman" cartoons , too , but , on a much smaller budget , of course.

"Fritz" also benefits from the use of "Bo Diddley" by Bo Diddley , who complained in the press about not being consulted over it's use. He should have been , but , he no longer owned the rights , so making him aware that his song was appearing in a movie was a formality , deemed unnecessary.

Ben Simon said:

A few days ago, I watched The Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat, the sequel to Fritz the Cat that was made without the involvement of Ralph Bakshi or Robert Crumb. I can see why Crumb doesn't acknowledge its existence. Although the 70s funk soundtrack helped it a little.
    • November 1, 2011 4:40 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

How could I have forgotten "Attack of The Killer Tomatoes" ? It's so slow - moving , it does'nt even rate as Comedy. Lloyd Kaufman is always being cited as the world's worst Director (They've obviously never seen anything by Dave "The Rock" Nelson.), but , at least there's some laughs to be had , there. "Killer Tomatoes" REALLY went out of it's way to be barely watchable , and succeeded.

John Battles said:

• October 20, 2011 8:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 20, 2011 8:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ruby , Not to play Devil's Advocate , but , "Planet of The Vampires" has a very slow buildup to dealing with the actual vampires. But , you know that , already. I saw it about a year ago , for the first time in a long time, and I'd forgotten how slow it was.  I'm a great fan of Mario Bava , I've seen very few of his films that I did'nt enjoy a great deal. If "Black Sunday" had been his only film , his rep would still be solid as a rock.

Ruby Soleil said:
      I've watched plenty of really bad movies, and I have a high tolerance, but here is a list of those I couldn't watch all the way through:
      Planet of the Vampires-There should be an official rule that if a movie has the word vampire in the title then the movie should lead with vampires. I watched almost an hour of this turkey and still not one vampire.
      Eraser head
      Buckaroo Bonzai
      Some weird japanese movie where this guy slowly turns himself into a cyborg by inserting machine parts into himself and replacing his limbs with robotic ones.
      Ichii the Killer-the anime`, this one wasn't a bad movie, it's just the subject matter was too brutal to sit through.
      Memoirs of a Geisha, and I love Michelle Yeoh too.
    • September 12, 2011 2:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Exactly! I completely forgot about that trainwreck.

Andy Seven said:
      Where The Wild Things Are with those mopey monsters who whined and peed all over themselves. Bleh!
    • September 8, 2011 12:23 PM CDT
    • Untitled

The Will Smith "I Am Legend" is pure blasphemy unto the name of Richard Matheson. I'm so tired of seeing people that don't have a REAL love for Horror/Sci Fi churning out conjibulated mish mash remakes.

I LOVE "Last Man On Earth and "Omega Man", either one of which is a gazillion times better than "Fresh Prince Of Zombietown".

• August 11, 2011 7:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

McVICKER said:
      the kid was right...its awful!

Tris Burns said:

a kid told me about a humdinger called BIRDEMIC - inspired by Hitchcock's The Birds - no birds were USED in the movie\

Brian Marshall said:

Some movies that really irritate me are:

St. Elmo's Fire - a bunch of yuppies graduate college and we're supposed to care.

Home Alone - I'll never understand why people think this is so funny. That kid drove me to want to kill him.

Dirty Dancing - Another one that was inexplicably popular, but nauseating to me.

Titanic (1997) - I had to sit through this with my family once. They zoomed past all the sex scenes for the little kids, but they let them see everyone freeze to death in the water. I tried to sleep through most of it.

Bloodsucking Freaks - I'll probably get dinged but I just think this thing is the most repulsive movie I've ever seen and I did see the whole thing. It was just gore with no point to it.
      I'm with you on Bloodsucking Freaks. I saw that in high school. When the guy drills out the chick's skull & inserts the straw I left the room.
    • August 11, 2011 7:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have a pretty strong stomach for bad cinema, honed by years of watching MST3K. Pretentious shite, however really makes the hork rise in my gullet. Rape Of The Vampire, a 1968 film by Jean Rollin, I lasted for about 8 minutes. And 2007's Severed Ways about 2 Norsemen left stranded in North America centuries before Columbus was so abysmally bad as to defy explanation. 50% of the movie was scenes of chopping wood, 40% walking in the woods & an astonishing 0.1% was a full frame, single shot, non-CGI enhanced bare ass pinching a loaf.
    • August 11, 2011 4:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I completely agree about "Eyes Wide Shut."  Most pretentious piece of crap I ever tried to sit through.  I remember scenes dragging for entire reels.  The whole thing moved at the pace of a drugged turtle.  It ran on forever without a point.  I walked out.  I realize I'm supposed to like it and think it's provocative because it's Kubrick, but fuck it.  Kubrick went out on a bad note with this one.

• August 11, 2011 4:15 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Eyes wide shut. Nicole Kidman trying to act stoned was appallingly bad...twas as if she'd just whacked up a bucket of smack-bhang rock n roll instead of a little toke or two of a spliff. Why didn't she try smoking a joint as part of her research? And her acting drunk? You gotta do more than just be a head on a stick. This kinda active role research mustve been way too challenging. As for the sex scene with huzzy at the time,Tom? I had to leave. Stanley Kubrik or not... I had to go.

• August 1, 2011 5:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Titanic, I will NEVER watch that. The trailer already sends me running.

Here for the stir

• July 18, 2011 3:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• May 31, 2011 2:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Haha, no, never seen it, but I'll steer clear.  Sounds like the same feeling I get whenever I see a movie from Japan... If I wanted to be confused, I'd just read the bible!

McVICKER said:
      @ zorch...have you seen william defo in "antichrist"?......i cant say its the worst film ever? to be honest dont know how to classify it...i thought it was shit,but then i was still thinking about what the fuck was going on months later!?!?
    • May 28, 2011 2:05 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

the kid was right...its awful!

Tris Burns said:

a kid told me about a humdinger called BIRDEMIC - inspired by Hitchcock's The Birds - no birds were USED in the movie\

Brian Marshall said:

St. Elmo's Fire - a bunch of yuppies graduate college and we're supposed to care.

Home Alone - I'll never understand why people think this is so funny. That kid drove me to want to kill him.

Dirty Dancing - Another one that was inexplicably popular, but nauseating to me.

Titanic (1997) - I had to sit through this with my family once. They zoomed past all the sex scenes for the little kids, but they let them see everyone freeze to death in the water. I tried to sleep through most of it.

Bloodsucking Freaks - I'll probably get dinged but I just think this thing is the most repulsive movie I've ever seen and I did see the whole thing. It was just gore with no point to it.
    • May 28, 2011 4:28 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Brian Marshall said:

• May 28, 2011 3:02 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

@ zorch...have you seen william defo in "antichrist"?......i cant say its the worst film ever? to be honest dont know how to classify it...i thought it was shit,but then i was still thinking about what the fuck was going on months later!?!?
    • May 27, 2011 7:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I love my exploitation films, but I gotta agree with you on Blood Sucking Freaks.  I kept thinking "this is what serial killers watch..." The movie wasn't as disturbing as imagining the people who really liked it.  There just wasn't anything for the viewer other than naked girls being killed. Not all that creative kills, just them being tortured. 

But.
      There are some great sound clips from Sardu (or whatever his name was).
      Brian Marshall said:

• May 27, 2011 7:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Doomsday was AWESOME!  Cannibals + Knights in Armor + Post Apoclyptic + Mad Max Cars + NO SCRIPT.  RAD!

McVICKER said:
      for me its an english film called "doomsday" it came out the same time as "2012" and for some reason when you googled it it got the two confused so i ended up down loading a film which was a cross between mad max & the merry wives of windsor..(i kid you not)....all with westcountry accents ......fucking dire....

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel