Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Not Fade Away

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 29, 2012 11:06 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just saw the trailer for this. Has anyone seen the movie? Obviously a heavy Sopranos/Little Steven influence w/ David Chase directing. Thoughts?

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• April 30, 2013 7:50 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just bought this movie via Amazon's video on demand, and I just noticed something horrifying about it...the main character looks a lot like the Boston Marathon bomber.

• April 30, 2013 7:47 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BTW, that movie never showed up at the Oaks.

MikeL said:

I had to go to a cinema located in a mall that's pretty out of the way for me, and I went during its opening weekend because I was afraid it wouldn't be playing there the following weekend. Now that I did that, it will probably show up at the Oaks Theatre, which is really close to where I live.

John Battles said:

Seems like it already came and went , here. We have ONE second - run theatre that I know of . Maybe they'll show it.

• January 11, 2013 3:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I had to go to a cinema located in a mall that's pretty out of the way for me, and I went during its opening weekend because I was afraid it wouldn't be playing there the following weekend. Now that I did that, it will probably show up at the Oaks Theatre, which is really close to where I live.

John Battles said:

Seems like it already came and went , here. We have ONE second - run theatre that I know of . Maybe they'll show it.

• January 10, 2013 8:37 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 10, 2013 7:42 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thought it was well done. Showed the essence of a band trying make it but in the end knowing that it's about your friends & having fun (well that was my view of it). With David Chase at the helm, certainly had that Sopranos vibe to it, especially with Gandolfini as the Father.

The soundtrack was pretty cool too.

Certainly worth the watch. Not too many (if any) films out there like this.

• January 9, 2013 5:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I went last weekend with a group of 12 people, most of whom were musician's & a few who either own or have worked in guitar stores. The gear was pretty authentic. The only question was that one of the Tube Fender Bass amps looked possibly to be a 70's era more powerful amp than was available in the 60's. I enjoyed the movie. Especially having grown up on the east coast in an Italian Family, I felt at times as if I was watching my own life onscreen.Since I work in the film business, someone gave me an advance copy of the soundtrack. It's on vinyl! & it's a 2 record set. I've not had a chance to listen to it all, but so far no complaints.

• January 5, 2013 11:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The eating ice cream in front of the TV and the short temper were the exactly the same things that Entertainment Weekly picked up when the did a review in this latest issue.

I think the hair and clothes are fitting.  It jumps around a bit in the trailer so it's hard to tell for sure if the years match but I'm gonna guess that David Chase paid a little more attention than most when it came to detail.  Can't say anything about the sound yet of course, but gear looks OK too.

MikeL said:

I just saw it and liked it.  Of course, I'm biased because I like David Chase for "The Sopranos" and Little Steven for you-know-what.  Don't know how anyone else here will react if they check it out.  The ending was weird and kind of sad, but I still liked it.

I saw shades of Tony Soprano in James Gandolfini's character, i.e. whenever he lost his temper, when he ate ice cream while watching TV, and when he worked the grill during a birthday barbecue.  One big difference was that his standard of living was a lot more modest than Tony's.  His wife in this movie reminded me of Tony's mother, i.e. really fucked in the head.

BTW, I thought Bella Heathcote was really cute, and the little sister of the band's lead singer blossomed quite nicely at the end.  

I'll leave it up to everyone else to debate the authenticity of the band's clothing, hair styles, gear, and sound, along with the song choices for the soundtrack.

• January 5, 2013 10:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just saw it and liked it.  Of course, I'm biased because I like David Chase for "The Sopranos" and Little Steven for you-know-what.  Don't know how anyone else here will react if they check it out.  The ending was weird and kind of sad, but I still liked it.

I saw shades of Tony Soprano in James Gandolfini's character, i.e. whenever he lost his temper, when he ate ice cream while watching TV, and when he worked the grill during a birthday barbecue.  One big difference was that his standard of living was a lot more modest than Tony's.  His wife in this movie reminded me of Tony's mother, i.e. really fucked in the head.

BTW, I thought Bella Heathcote was really cute, and the little sister of the band's lead singer blossomed quite nicely at the end.  

I'll leave it up to everyone else to debate the authenticity of the band's clothing, hair styles, gear, and sound, along with the song choices for the soundtrack.

• January 2, 2013 5:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I see the ad on TV all the time but I live in a single screen theater town and it's really not on the priority list.  I'm probably gonna wait until it come out on On-Demand.

• January 2, 2013 2:17 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It hasn't come to Pittsburgh yet, but I will see it when it does. I'd like to know what you think of it, John.

John Battles said:

I have'nt seen it , but plan to , ASAP....it got three stars , and a favorable , front page , writeup , in The Chicago Tribune , and the Chicago Reader gave it a pretty good review , noting it's "Not as fun as "That Thing You Do"". I'd be pretty disappointed if there were nothing dark about it.....Like how young bands got bullied and pimped out by Gangsters  , and harrassed by The Police , at the same time , here in Chicago , and , I'm sure , other major cities. And , God forbid your hair was one strand past the acceptable ,if anachronistic , length. Lots of bands got stomped on for that , or the obvious fact that chicks dug 'em.

• December 29, 2012 2:51 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have'nt seen it , but plan to , ASAP....it got three stars , and a favorable , front page , writeup , in The Chicago Tribune , and the Chicago Reader gave it a pretty good review , noting it's "Not as fun as "That Thing You Do"". I'd be pretty disappointed if there were nothing dark about it.....Like how young bands got bullied and pimped out by Gangsters  , and harrassed by The Police , at the same time , here in Chicago , and , I'm sure , other major cities. And , God forbid your hair was one strand past the acceptable ,if anachronistic , length. Lots of bands got stomped on for that , or the obvious fact that chicks dug 'em.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel