Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Missed shows due to boozehoundery...

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 11, 2010 12:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Hey everyone,

We've all been in the situation... you're having a few drinks before going out to a gig and the next thing you know the show has started (and perhaps ended) and you're not there because your still knockin' 'em back.

My most woeful tale of missing a band because of the booze happened on our way to the Double Down in Las Vegas. We thought we'd kill a bit of time before the show and have a beer at the hokey but air conditioned Hofbrauhaus (tm) around the corner. What we didn't realize was that the beer was a) very expensive and b) served by the litre c) shows in Vegas actually start on time.

So while we sat in the hofbrauhaus watching an oompah band playing covers of the Monkees and draining our giant beersteins, THEE FINE LINES were ripping it up at the Double Down!

At least we managed to catch the Okmoniks and the Flakes.

To this day, I cannot forgive myself for this egregious feat of boneheadedness - not only because I missed one of my favourite bands but also because I was responsible for causing other to miss the show as well. To those people (you know who you are) I apologize... again.

What's the best band (or saddest tale) you ever missed because you were too busy boozin'? 

• June 16, 2010 3:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YEAH! What he said.
    • June 16, 2010 3:12 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Back when I was at school I managed to miss the battle of the bands that I was helping to organise through such monkey business. I pulled a moderately attractive girl despite being in a rank state of vomiting (and her being comparitively sober). The music sucked anyway so not a bad trade really.

But never actually making it to a proper decent gig because you are drinking in the wrong establishment is just plain shit and you should be ashamed of yourself. Drinking too much and missing the band is only ok if the band is in the audiable vacinity. What you describe is more like when I missed a band because I remembered the wrong date and went to the venue a day late. It's just shit.
    • June 14, 2010 2:51 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

DammitDave says : "I've been at some shows that I've missed by boozehoundery. Does that count?"

Hmmm, you've quite well summed up my stupid life !!! Shall I thank you ?
    • June 14, 2010 1:05 AM CDT
    • Untitled

I've never been too drunk to miss the gig but I have missed gigs because of friends trying to choke on their own vomit, flakes.

I do remember being very off my face and trying to watch the Blues Explosion. I had to lean on the bar keep drinking heaps of water to stay conscious. I couldn't see the band because my vision was cutting out after about 3 or 4 metres, it sounded good and I was apparently shaking my ass around in some kind of vein attempt to dance. I remember locking eyes with a local TV personality while he was standing at the bar and blowing him a kiss, giving him some kind of sexual gesture with my tongue and then winking at him every time he turned around to order another drink. I think security removed me just before the encore.
    • June 12, 2010 10:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Dinosaur Jr. Bug tour 9:30 Club. I am the only one of my friends with a ticket. I decide it would be most fun if I Drink some Olympia in the gold can or was it that wine with the Bull tied to it... with a friend... and then go to the show. The first part of my plan goes excellent, however I wake up in my car at five the next morning having passed out as soon as I got in the vehicle. Automatic self preservation? Psychic foreknowledge that the Bass player would swing at Mascis two songs in? Just fucking up? Fucking up.
    • June 11, 2010 3:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I always go to the venue that I'm going to see a show at and do my drinking there. And if it's going to be an all ages show, I just grit my teeth and stay dry (they don't serve drinks at all ages show in Washington state unless the venue somehow gets a special liquor license that most venues don't bother with as they are somewhat difficult to get AND you want to get an extra guy to check IDs). Yeah, I don't drinkin' get in the way of my rockin'.
    • June 11, 2010 3:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

To be fair Dan, the bill listed The Chopsticks and not Thee Fine Lines as the opener, the Flakes and the Okmoniks killed, and the Hofbrauhaus beer experience was the stuff of legend (Timmo being too hung over to drink & the German fella in the corner hand-painting steins that couldn't speak English... Not to mention the size of that beer.

Um, any interest in heading to Portland Aug 20 for the Mummies show BTW? I promise we won't get stuck at the Alibi drinking too much beer & singing Karaoke during the show.
    • June 11, 2010 2:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've been at some shows that I've missed by boozehoundery. Does that count?
    • June 11, 2010 12:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Believe it or not, I don't remember this ever happening to me. Weird!

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel