Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Black Flag

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 28, 2010 6:28 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Are there any of you out there who still love the flag?
    • June 21, 2013 1:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

When Black Flag was happening , I WAS IN THAT ITSY BITSY TEENIE WEENIE MINORITY THAT DID'NT LIKE "DAMAGED" (I'VE NEVER HEARD OF "LOUIE LOUIE"only being available on import  copies. Seems it was on every copy Ii ever heard....Maybe it was pulled late r, for publishing reasons ?). Could'nt get with Henry , I just don't have that much testosterone. I liked "Everything Went Black" (But did'nt feel a need to buy it.) "Jealous Again " (Which I did buy , for a dollar.) , and "TV Party " (Both Versions.), but , overall , I did'nt get it. I had'nt started liking 70's Hard Rock again , with few exceptions , and The Flag were turning into The Sabs......Yes ,I like The Sabs , now , but later Flag and the Speed Metal craze (Even tho' I liked some of those bands in the 80's. I still liked the HC era intensity , but , it was good to hear it done by bands that could actually play. Some could even SING. ), it seemed a matter of eating your cake and having it , too.    i SAW ROLLINS ON HIS FIRST "SPOKEN WORD" TOUR(BACK WHEN THEY CALLED IT "POETRY"). Some of his readings I liked , some I found really unnecessary......But , I met him at a 7-11 (Did'nt everyone?) . Atfirst , he gave me that dagger - stare. Then , when he realized I knew who he was , he was considerably cooler. Maybe also because I did'nt bust his balls about the 12 Pack he was toting , and I don't mean his stomach......IN LATER YEARS , HE COPPED TO DRINKING AND DOING DRUGS IN THE PAST (NOT COPPING IS A COP OUT.).....

Rollins , to me , is like Robert Plant . Great taste in music , but , I hear NONE of those influences in their own music , and I have no need to buy records by either , and even THAT is nothing personal.
       Mike said:

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      A friend of mine had Damaged on a lable called Roadracer and it tacked on Louie Louie on the end but I thought a different singer was on that.

I don't have that import version of Damaged, but I'd assume that'd be the version from the Louie Louie 7" that Dez Cadena sang on. He was my fave Flag singer, perhaps as he was the first one I had seen them with. Others have told me they prefer Keith Morris and Ron Reyes over Dez. Rollins was not a bad fit with the band the first year or so. I saw their first LA area gig with him after they came back from the tour in which they picked him up. I speculate that he had a desire to prove himself to the home town crowd. But once he became established in Flag it seemed to become the Henry Rollins Show as opposed to a Black Flag show. They kind of evolved into a "jam" band of sorts from that point to the end and lost that manic energy that had attracted such a rabid following.

So I would say everything up to and including Damaged as well as the "Everything Went Black" double LP of demos is what I'd consider essential Black Flag material.
    • June 21, 2013 1:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well , they were friends with Motorhead , and gigged together. The "Please Don't Touch" single featured members of both bands doing the title track , "Bomber" and "Emergency" by Girlschool.

Giannis KRI said:

Yes i think i heard them covering emergency too.Probably they liked motorhead.But who doesn't?Maybe me,but joey ramone does.

I do like one thing by them when they teamed with Motorhead to do this Johnny Kidd and the Pirates cover, but this could have easily been done by the Pandoras, Brood, or Runaways as well.

• September 28, 2012 1:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

▌▐▐

Louie louie The Hermosa Beach, California hardcore punk band Black Flag released a cover version of "Louie Louie" as a single in 1981 through Posh Boy Records. It was the band's first release with Dez Cadena as singer, replacing Ron Reyes who had left the group the previous year. Cadena would go on to sing on the Six Pack EP before switching to rhythm guitar and being replaced on vocals by Henry Rollins.

• August 15, 2012 6:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think I'll always love Black Flag, especially the first four years stuff with Keith Morris. I do like alot of the Rollins albums, but I think the early stuff was just much more killer.

• May 20, 2012 12:40 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like Girlschool , if that's who was on the (Since removed) video. Not everything they've done. I would'nt put them in a category remotely resembling Black Flag , and even their status as a "Metal" band is largely circumstantial. When they came out , they stood on the fringes of The New Wave of British Heavy Metal movement , and their association with Motorhead cemented their "Metal" status. To me , it's melodic Hard Rock (Not all Hard Rock is HeavyMetal ,as people think of it , today....), influenced by Punk , but not in a very obvious way , maybe (Come on , tho' , those are'nt Punk chords on "Hit and Run"?).....

Black Flag , liked 'em to a point. Never understood how they got to become THEE band in the 80's . I liked the pre - Rollins stuff , too , BUT , THAT WAS IT , EXCEPT FOR "T.V.Party". Their only record I ever bought , for a dollar , and still own , is the "Jealous Again" EP. Saw Rollins band , horrible. They could PLAY , BUT THEY WERE'NT TOO FAR REMOVED , TO THESE EARS , FROM GRUNGE ROCK. If you don't like Jam Bands , avoid Greg Ginn's current outfit. I did'nt expect  them to be Punk.  I'd hoped , by ther name , they'd be Country.

Stretching out one note for five minutes is only so interesting.

I met Henry , by chance , at a 7-11 (imagine.) . He was actually very cool. Did'nt care if I was a fan or not. This WAS across the street from Wrigley Field , maybe that's why he seemed so glad to see me.

• May 14, 2012 9:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The closest thing to an all girl Black Flag was probably Bikini Kill

• July 22, 2011 1:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

i just finished reading Spraypaint The Walls - got me all enthusiastic about Black Flag again!  I'm not one of those who only likes the early stuff... being in Australia it wasnt until Damaged that i discovered em anyway (actually the first song i heard was  Police Story on the Let Them Eat Jellybeans comp and that just blew my mind) and i liked the later heavier, uglier stuff... one of those bands that thanks to Rollins' popularity and Ginn's stubbornness sometimes gets lost in the bickering...
    • July 18, 2011 8:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The First Four Years (containing all of the early EPs) and of course Damaged are both classics in their own right, but besides the title track of My War, I can't stand anything that Rollins' Black Flag released afterward.
    • July 8, 2011 1:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm going tooooo exploooode IVE HAD IT
    • July 8, 2011 11:34 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

oh yeah - we do -

we cover 'fix me' doing an extreme loud version and a jazzy freak version - started doing it when we bought the whole Chuck Biscuits hoax - funny and glad :)

• July 8, 2011 11:26 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh, how I love the Flag! Pre-Rollins is definitely my favorite era. I've got a black bars sticker on my car.

Just saw Mudhoney play here in Seattle last month, and they've taken to closing with a killer cover of Fix Me. They were playing at the Tractor Tavern, home to lots of roots music in Seattle, so Mark Arm closed their encore by commenting, "Now we're going to play some roots music from Lawndale, California..."

• October 11, 2010 6:27 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Im kinda the same never really got into the rollins side of them, but to be fair i haven't given it much of a chance!
    • September 21, 2010 12:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Family MAN with your family WAYS with your... CHRISTMAS lights already up and... stuff...
    • September 21, 2010 8:22 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

cool as Fuck!! Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      I do like one thing by them when they teamed with Motorhead to do this Johnny Kidd and the Pirates cover, but this could have easily been done by the Pandoras, Brood, or Runaways as well.

• September 21, 2010 5:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

girschool covered emergency.not black flag.As the black sabbath thing you are right.After some years they started playing sabbath style songs.This was the downfall. ratoonie said:
      wow!!! dont evenknow whhat to say about that!

Giannis KRI said:
      Yes i think i heard them covering emergency too.Probably they liked motorhead.But who doesn't?Maybe me,but joey ramone does.

• September 20, 2010 6:15 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

"Nervous Breakdown" is one of my favorite songs ever.
    • September 16, 2010 12:56 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

can somebody please tell me what "Moterhead" is all about???????!!!!!! are they a Rock band that just Likes everybody???
    • September 16, 2010 12:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

wow!!! dont evenknow whhat to say about that! Giannis KRI said:

• September 15, 2010 7:30 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I always thought Black Flag was totally L.A.....Iwassnt Livin here at the time...i was up in Sac. ; when i saw them...kinda of a punk Black Sabath*.....1983?????
      there is one song ...i snagged off collage radio..... I see the world threw Rats Eyes... iLove it!!! Has anyone else heard this one????
    • September 4, 2010 2:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like Black Flag a lot. My favorite album is probably My War. But I like weird music a lot.
    • July 7, 2010 9:40 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Re: Motorhead. Apparently they offered Flag an opening spot on a mid 80's tour with a caveat that they had to kick back something like $15K of their earnings for "PA use". Rock biz BS.
    • July 7, 2010 9:37 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The evolution of Black Flag hair.
    • June 17, 2010 2:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes i think i heard them covering emergency too.Probably they liked motorhead.But who doesn't?Maybe me,but joey ramone does. Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

• June 16, 2010 3:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel