Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Regional Forums The Rest of the World
  • Topic: Latin American Garage Groups

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 10, 2010 10:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was recently doing research and I came across a colombian 60's garage band called Los Flippers, and they are really, really good. They do a spanish version Do Wa Diddy that is so good. So, any other good latin american garage groups should know about?
    • November 5, 2011 2:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , I found a similar comp in Mexico , with Garage - era and Psych and Hard Rock bands. All good stuff. I don't have it handy , now....But it was'nt $25 , like a lot of those Love , Peace and Poetry collections tend to be... Los Dig Dugs , I found about several years ago , they have a bit of a cult following in The U.S.

Tony Satan said:

Most of these bands have probably already got mentioned, but I can't be arsed to check through all the pages. I tried to write down groups who had a psychedelic edge, or at least groups who had gone psychedelic on some point in their career.

Argentina

• Almendra

• Los Walkers

• Los Gatos

• Le Barra De Chocolate

Brazil

• Som Imaginario

• A Bolha

• O Bando

• Liverpool

Chile

• Los Mac's

• Los Vidrios Quebrados

• Los Amigos De Maria

• Aguaturbia

Mexico

• Los Dug Dug's

• La Revolución De Emiliano Zapata

• Kaleidoscope

• The Spiders

Peru

• We All Together

• Grupos Amigos

• Laghonia

• Traffic Sound

Uruguay

• Los Shakers

Venezuela

• Ladies WC

If you like those acts you should really check out volumes 2, 6 and 7 of the brilliant "Love, Peace & Poetry" compilations. A lot of the groups listed below are compiled on these. 

• November 5, 2011 9:48 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Most of these bands have probably already got mentioned, but I can't be arsed to check through all the pages. I tried to write down groups who had a psychedelic edge, or at least groups who had gone psychedelic on some point in their career.

Argentina

• Almendra

• Los Walkers

• Los Gatos

• Le Barra De Chocolate

Brazil

• Som Imaginario

• A Bolha

• O Bando

• Liverpool

Chile

• Los Mac's

• Los Vidrios Quebrados

• Los Amigos De Maria

• Aguaturbia

Mexico

• Los Dug Dug's

• La Revolución De Emiliano Zapata

• Kaleidoscope

• The Spiders

Peru

• We All Together

• Grupos Amigos

• Laghonia

• Traffic Sound

Uruguay

• Los Shakers

Venezuela

• Ladies WC

If you like those acts you should really check out volumes 2, 6 and 7 of the brilliant "Love, Peace & Poetry" compilations. A lot of the groups listed below are compiled on these. 

• November 4, 2011 6:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Mina , Cool video. It sounds like The Shadows meet The Tijuana Brass!

Mina said:
    • November 4, 2011 5:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This is a great track. I play it , sometimes , when I play all - Mexican R'n'R DJ sets . It gives you a good idea of how these early bands interpreted the American stuff , adding their own wildness to it.... But , it's not actually an Elvis cover. The intro does sound like "Heartbreak Hotel" , but , it's one of their tunes. Then did do some cool Elvis covers like " Es No Importante" (Baby , I Don't Care.). They were in a few movies like this one. I don't have any of 'em.

Mina said:

Elvis cover

• October 31, 2011 1:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bryan Hovercraft said:

Yes indeed  try ...Alberto Y los Trios Paranoias [ not south american but UK 70's punk ...still v. cool ]  look youtube for 'Kill' 'Gobbing on Life' etc  - maybe someone should complile the definitive list of bands with 'Los' innit ; )

John Battles said : They (Alberto.) had a great song called "Fuck You" (Such originality.) that I even remember hearing on (Late night.) radio in the 80's. "El Monstruo" by Los Shaynes is kind of a medley of "Out of Limits" and "The Crusher" with the MOST terrifying vocal that makes Black Metal sound like Raffi.

There was an English translation to "Demolicion" in Ugly Things. You can probably tell , even if you don't speak fluent Spanish , it's about wrecking a train station. And then some.

MOST Los - bands definitely  kick ass , but , if you're looking for Mexican R'n'R , you will find a lot of Balladeers and guys with big cowboy hats getting in your way (Not That Tigres Del Norte and real stompin' Conjunto music does'nt kick ass.). Still , some of my Mexican friends told me to avoid Los Apson. Too late . But , when they were ON , which was most of the time , they were on. I even went to see them once , an extremely rare U.S. appearance by a 60's - era Mexican Rock'n'Roll band. But , what I did'nt know was , they were wrapping up their last song when I got there.

• October 30, 2011 10:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Los Saicos- Demolition

on youtube

• October 30, 2011 10:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

DEMOLICION ! DEMOLICION ! DEMOLICION......TA TA TA TA TA TA - YA ! YA ! YA ! YA !

Mina said:
      Echemos abajo la estacion del tren
      demoler demoler demoler demoler
      echemos abajo la estacion del tren
      demoler demoler la estacion del tren
    • October 29, 2011 3:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

TA TA TA TA TA TA TA TA - YA ! YA ! YA ! YA !!!!!!

Mina said:
    • October 29, 2011 10:30 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Los Vidrios Quebrados, Los Mac's, Kaleidoscope, New Juggler Sound, The Shakers - all well worth seeking out.
    • October 27, 2011 9:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

I just found a Los Flippers album , too ! It is great , though a lot of it is covers , in Spanish (A recurring theme. Don't get me wrong . I love hearing stuff like that.). Mexico and South America produced a LOT of them. I forget , sometimes , which countries some of the Sudamerican bands were from.

Mexico (We'll drop the "Los" ) - Teen Tops , Johnny Jets , Locos Del Ritmo , Apson , Camisas Negras , Beatniks , Rockin' Devils , Blue Cats , Monstruos , Hooligans , Rebeldes Del Rock , Hitters , Crazy Boys , Babys , Freddys , Monejes , Yaki  

Eddie Con Los Shades (Early Freddy Fender. Recorded in South Texas , but released for the Mexican market.) 

3 Souls in My Mind (Insane Psych - Blues , morphed into the still - phenomenally popular El Tri , whose CDs are very easy to find .)

South America - Pets , Las Mosquitas (All girl Beat group), York , Mockers , St.Thomas Pepper Smelter (I'll have to check that name again.) , Yettis , Jockers , Shains , Saicos....

There's a lot of others , I can't think of 'em , now.  i JUST SAW THAT SOME OF THESE WERE MENTIONED , ALREADY. Mexico's Rock'n'Roll industry did'nt really start until about 1960 , with the first releases by Los Teen Tops and Los Camisas Negras, it WAS STILL VERY 50'S - ORIENTED , and wild as a motherfucker. Some of these bands lasted into the mid 60's , and even longer , and cut some great "Garage " and "Psych" sides along the way. Others , like Los Babys and Los Freddys (Both of whom , I think , are still around , today.) went Pop , very fast . A lot of the Mexican R'n'R bands are still around in some form , today , and all you have to do is get on You Boob , click on a name , like "Los Teen Tops " or "Los Locos Del Ritmo" and all these great videos will appear.

• October 27, 2011 9:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just found a Los Flippers album , too ! It is great , though a lot of it is covers , in Spanish (A recurring theme. Don't get me wrong . I love hearing stuff like that.). Mexico and South America produced a LOT of them. I forget , sometimes , which countries some of the Sudamerican bands were from.

Mexico (We'll drop the "Los" ) - Teen Tops , Johnny Jets , Locos Del Ritmo , Apson , Camisas Negras , Beatniks , Rockin' Devils , Blue Cats , Monstruos , Hooligans , Rebeldes Del Rock , Hitters , Crazy Boys , Babys , Freddys , Monejes , Yaki  

Eddie Con Los Shades (Early Freddy Fender. Recorded in South Texas , but released for the Mexican market.) 

3 Souls in My Mind (Insane Psych - Blues , morphed into the still - phenomenally popular El Tri , whose CDs are very easy to find .)

South America - Pets , Las Mosquitas (All girl Beat group), York , Mockers , St.Thomas Pepper Smelter (I'll have to check that name again.) , Yettis , Jockers , Shains , Saicos....

There's a lot of others , I can't think of 'em , now.  

• October 27, 2011 11:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The sleepers are a really good band, i saw them a couple of months ago, yeah they start rocking at 60s and still playing whit a lot of balls, they visited Mexico City whit Los Saicos and was a really cool session. Look for a record called Delincuentes, there are a lot of great latin bands from 40 years ago.
    • April 22, 2010 6:06 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

NO ONE has mentioned Los Shakers from [I think] Uruguay!! At least, if they did, I missed it. First US issue LP, 'Break It All' is a total classic, sounds like the missing link between 'Beatles For Sale' and 'Help!'.
    • April 21, 2010 8:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I can't believe only ONE OTHER PERSON has mentioned Los Saicos. Between 1965 and 1966, they were basically the biggest thing in Peru since the Inca civilization. You know that song "Demolicion" that Wau y Los Arrrghs!!! made so popular? That was a cover of Los Saicos.
    • March 8, 2010 10:58 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check "THE KNACKS" from Argentina Obscure Garage-Beat!!! really good!
    • March 8, 2010 9:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Los Exolosivos is a very fitting name for their sound. I have active the last year but completely out the nine years before. The number of bands from Mexico and S.A. have really grown, I checked out the Brasillian fuzz bananas comp. and was dissapointed. What little You tube threads I've followed seemed to turn up lots of names. >Sectmaniac said:
      There are TONS of great Latin American garage groups! From the 60s to the present... Peru has some amazing groups: Los Saicos, Los Shain's , Los Yorks, Los Belkings, Los Mangazoides. Los Yeti, Los Flippers from Colombia. Los Speakers, Los Gatos Salvajes, Los Mockers... From Mexico: Los Loco Del Ritmo (more 50s, but still great rockers), Los Teen Tops, Las Moskas, Los Yaki, and more recent bands like Las Bruscas, Los Nassis, Los Pisopaticos, Mustang 66, Los Explosivos.
    • March 8, 2010 7:12 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm pretty sure that ? and the Mysterians wrote their songs in English....oh, you mean bands actually located in Mexico. Pete The Gripper (aka Dgrador) said:
      Dug Dug's from Mexico. Topshelf psych, espeially 1st selftitled LP.
      Apparently the first Mexican band to write in English.
    • March 8, 2010 5:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Dug Dug's from Mexico. Topshelf psych, espeially 1st selftitled LP.
      Apparently the first Mexican band to write in English.
    • March 4, 2010 2:11 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Dosen't that mean "I'm Going"? John Carlucci said:
      That sounds awesome. I gotta check that out. My band does a few songs in Spanish, since we are in LA & our singer is Mexican. We do a cover of Blue Girl we call "Ya Me Voy"
    • March 2, 2010 10:07 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That sounds awesome. I gotta check that out. My band does a few songs in Spanish, since we are in LA & our singer is Mexican. We do a cover of Blue Girl we call "Ya Me Voy"
    • March 2, 2010 9:37 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nope! :) Sorry,I missed that part in the original post! Mina a.k.a. psycho -a said:
      tobi lynne said:
      I've been digging Davila 666's debut LP. They're pretty young, from Puerto Rico. Live vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1D7YJ8O3Fs

sounds cool, but it's not from the 60's ;-)
    • March 1, 2010 5:56 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There are TONS of great Latin American garage groups! From the 60s to the present... Peru has some amazing groups: Los Saicos, Los Shain's , Los Yorks, Los Belkings, Los Mangazoides. Los Yeti, Los Flippers from Colombia. Los Speakers, Los Gatos Salvajes, Los Mockers... From Mexico: Los Loco Del Ritmo (more 50s, but still great rockers), Los Teen Tops, Las Moskas, Los Yaki, and more recent bands like Las Bruscas, Los Nassis, Los Pisopaticos, Mustang 66, Los Explosivos.
    • February 26, 2010 12:22 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Back to Peru compilations are very good, full of interesting unknows (at least to me). Are you already familiar with Os Mutantes and Traffic Sound? The two best ones, I think.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel