Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Any stoner rock fans around here?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 31, 2012 8:08 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This German is PERFECT, mein Freund! :)
      Thanx for Black Mountain, amazing stuff, indeed! I didn´t know them yet!

Andy Climax said:

Sie sind herzlich willkommen, meine frau. Hope this german is ok? Yeah, Can, Cluster, Amon Duul and the whole German 60's art rock scene (so called Krautrock). I think its hard for bands to hide their influences. Black Mountain do it beautifully. Definitely can in there and a load of Hawkwind as well. Amazing stuff.

Tersicore said:

..first impression, I would say: almost as Can at his best! :)

Andy Climax said:

Yeah. Dead Meadow are great. Brilliant live. never always came across in their albums, but raw as fk. Have you all heard or heard of Black Mountain???

danke mein freund!

• December 31, 2012 4:01 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sie sind herzlich willkommen, meine frau. Hope this german is ok? Yeah, Can, Cluster, Amon Duul and the whole German 60's art rock scene (so called Krautrock). I think its hard for bands to hide their influences. Black Mountain do it beautifully. Definitely can in there and a load of Hawkwind as well. Amazing stuff.

Tersicore said:

Andy Climax said:

Yeah. Dead Meadow are great. Brilliant live. never always came across in their albums, but raw as fk. Have you all heard or heard of Black Mountain???

danke mein freund!

• December 30, 2012 6:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Andy Climax said:

danke mein freund!

• December 30, 2012 4:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

On a roll here. Japanese madness. Check'em out live. Lovers of Hawkwind would love'em!

• December 30, 2012 4:20 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Not too shabby either. Check out Sleepy Sun.

• December 30, 2012 4:06 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 21, 2012 11:54 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Andy Climax said:

Not too shabby! Also check out Acid Mothers Temple, Bo Ningen and Boris. I'd rock hard if i wasn't soooooo munchied, haha

Acid mothers Temple and Boris are both playing not far from me in the next few months but due to work, I'm going to have to miss both. I've seen Boris before though and they were great. I saw Dead Meadow play the next night and left while they were still playing as they just didn't compare to Boris.
    • December 19, 2012 9:16 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm a fan of Sun God Replica. Not sure if there is much on the net about them but they're from Melbourne Australia. They do have Stoner / Rock overtones

• December 15, 2012 12:32 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah. Goat. World Music album is amazing. Great live band as well. They're Scandinavian i think? Stunning!

Axel Björnsson said:

maybe not stoner. but good shit oldschool/new wave going on here. with some dash of africa!

• December 15, 2012 12:07 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Not too shabby! Also check out Acid Mothers Temple, Bo Ningen and Boris. I'd rock hard if i wasn't soooooo munchied, haha

• December 14, 2012 12:01 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This list is just "at the moment", and it goes into the fringes of accepted Stoner, but here goes.

First of all, All Hail Sabbath.  It all starts there, and for my money no one has come close.  But these are still a blast to listen to: 

Robot Lords of Tokyo, Dirty Power (they only did one album but serious ass was kicked), Sheavy, Greenleaf, Clutch, Alabama Thunderpussy, Radio Moscow, Ponemaro Sundown, Fu Manchu, Unida, Goatsnake (I know, I know, but I mix it in anyway), Blowback, Southfork... 

Apparently the top of my head doesn't hold as much info as it used to.  There are many more, but hell if I can remember who they are.

• December 13, 2012 8:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes , this sounds like it came from a place where there was so little Marijuana to go around , that The Grateful Dead could'nt get booked within 500 miles.

Alison said:

Tiger! Tiger! is most awesome garage rock:

John Battles said:

That is beautiful artwork.....Now , I'll probably be having about as much fun as I had finding the last couple of Subsonics records.....To say nothing of the new one that's apparently out.
       Are Tiger! Tiger! considered Stoner Rock? Innocent question , I only know them by name , and that the band also features Buffi Aguerro from The Subsonics and Vendettas ( Whose husband is Patrick O'Connor from The Woggles and , sometimes , The Subsonics. One of the last true gentlemen in Rock'n'Roll.).

• December 13, 2012 8:01 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Tiger! Tiger! is most awesome garage rock:

John Battles said:

That is beautiful artwork.....Now , I'll probably be having about as much fun as I had finding the last couple of Subsonics records.....To say nothing of the new one that's apparently out.
       Are Tiger! Tiger! considered Stoner Rock? Innocent question , I only know them by name , and that the band also features Buffi Aguerro from The Subsonics and Vendettas ( Whose husband is Patrick O'Connor from The Woggles and , sometimes , The Subsonics. One of the last true gentlemen in Rock'n'Roll.).

• December 13, 2012 6:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good stuff!

Axel Björnsson said:

maybe not stoner. but good shit oldschool/new wave going on here. with some dash of africa!

• December 13, 2012 2:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

dave said:

Oooh, my head (sound of head hitting wall many times)! Metal/Garage degrees-of-separation! It's great, 'specially since I love Mastodon so much, but, wow...

Now that I know there's a band called Harvey Milk, I *hafta* check 'em out!

Thanks, Alison!

Alison said:

Yes, Zoroaster and Harvey Milk rule.  Now let me make a connection between Georgia metal and Georgia garage rock.  Susanne Gibboney of the Atlanta garage bands Lust, The Vendettas, and Tiger! Tiger! is married to Brann Dailor of Mastadon.  Also, the beautiful cover art of Tiger! Tiger!'s awesome 2012 album, "Cut Them Where They Bleed," was created by Baroness lead singer John Dyer Baizley.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwiqmfn9cK1qe71npo1_500.jpg

Alex said:

You said it.  The Georgia bands are KILLER.  I'm a really big fan of Zoroaster and Harvey Milk.  If you like Harvey Milk, you need to check out Whores, which was produced by a guy from Harvey Milk (http://whores.bandcamp.com/).  Really one of my favorite EP's of 2012 (it came out end of December 2011).

Also, Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats have been getting a TON of press this year.  I'm impressed.

Alison said:

So many Georgia metal bands, including: Zoroaster, Withered, Apocalyptic Visions, Torche, Mastodon, Harvey Milk, Baroness, Kylesa, and Royal Thunder....

But my favorite "stoner" band is the UK's Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats...

• December 13, 2012 1:17 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Grip of delusion play our other band sound actually!
    • December 13, 2012 7:59 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

HUGE fan of stoner rock stuff.  A "few" of my favorites of mine are Acid King, Hawkwind, Ancient Astronaught, Sun O))), Sons of Otis, Cosmic Dead, Dead Meadow, Fu Manchu, Windhand, & Nebula.  There are some great blogs out there that will turn you on to all sorts of stuff - Heavy Planet, Droning Earth, Captain Beyond Zen and of course Day After Sabbath mentioned before. 

Grip of Delusion is a great podcast too!

• December 13, 2012 7:48 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Joey Fuckup said:

There is a 24/7 stoner/doom internet station called "Grip Of Delusion Radio" with a whole slate of podcasts as well as streaming tunes that the station owner plays from his own personal collection. Plus he's constantly adding music and links to the site as he's become quite a pal with a lot of bands from that genre's underground. Here's the link: http://www.steamingheathen.com/delusion/

• December 11, 2012 9:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Big fan of Sabbath here too. Love Kyuss, Overkill, Testament, Flotsam & Jetsom........witchfinder.......hell I could have just said "ditto"

Alex said:

This guy.  Big fan of the Sabbath, of course.  I also dig Saint Vitus (saw them live last year, and they put on quite a show), Kyuss, Sleep, The Sword, Buzzoven, Electric Wizard, Graveyard, Harvey Milk, Melvins, Monster Magnet, Orange Goblin, Pagan Altar, Red Fang, Witchfinder General, and Whores (more recent, album was produced by someone from Harvey Milk).

In a little more of a punk direction (and probably more appropriate for this website), I really like Lecherous Gaze (definitely a heavy Black Flag influence) and Witch (J. Masics plays drums in this punk/metal group).

• December 11, 2012 2:26 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi there,

Big stoner fan here, bought many LPs from EL PARAISO Record Label(http://elparaisorecords.com), last one was "Papir - Stundum" LP, with great long heavy tracks.

Also, found out lately a very very nice band with a really great sound, they're called "All Them Witches", you can find their bandcamp here : http://allthemwitches.bandcamp.com/album/our-mother-electricity, i recommend you to listen "Right Hand".

• December 9, 2012 3:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oooh, my head (sound of head hitting wall many times)! Metal/Garage degrees-of-separation! It's great, 'specially since I love Mastodon so much, but, wow...

Now that I know there's a band called Harvey Milk, I *hafta* check 'em out!

Thanks, Alison!

Alison said:

Yes, Zoroaster and Harvey Milk rule.  Now let me make a connection between Georgia metal and Georgia garage rock.  Susanne Gibboney of the Atlanta garage bands Lust, The Vendettas, and Tiger! Tiger! is married to Brann Dailor of Mastadon.  Also, the beautiful cover art of Tiger! Tiger!'s awesome 2012 album, "Cut Them Where They Bleed," was created by Baroness lead singer John Dyer Baizley.

Alex said:

You said it.  The Georgia bands are KILLER.  I'm a really big fan of Zoroaster and Harvey Milk.  If you like Harvey Milk, you need to check out Whores, which was produced by a guy from Harvey Milk (http://whores.bandcamp.com/).  Really one of my favorite EP's of 2012 (it came out end of December 2011).

Also, Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats have been getting a TON of press this year.  I'm impressed.

Alison said:

So many Georgia metal bands, including: Zoroaster, Withered, Apocalyptic Visions, Torche, Mastodon, Harvey Milk, Baroness, Kylesa, and Royal Thunder....

• December 7, 2012 7:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for that, Joey!  Stoner is one of my favorite genres, but I never heard about that site until now.

Joey Fuckup said:

In case any of you guys are interested, I came across this blog that specializes in late '60's-mid '70's proto metal, doom, stoner, heavy prog & psych, and yes, even snotty garage. It's called "The Day After the Sabbath", and Rich (who operates the blog) unearths lots of obscurities from all around the globe. He does widen the span a bit to go into the '80's, and will also include newer bands from the stoner rock genre, usually doing a cover. I know this thread is narrowing on the newer scene, but there is TONS of stuff on there for download that you guys would dig. Check it out here: http://www.aftersabbath.com/

• December 7, 2012 6:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Alex said:

Alison said:

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel