Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Any stoner rock fans around here?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 7, 2012 6:40 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

You said it.  The Georgia bands are KILLER.  I'm a really big fan of Zoroaster and Harvey Milk.  If you like Harvey Milk, you need to check out Whores, which was produced by a guy from Harvey Milk (http://whores.bandcamp.com/).  Really one of my favorite EP's of 2012 (it came out end of December 2011).

Also, Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats have been getting a TON of press this year.  I'm impressed.

Alison said:

So many Georgia metal bands, including: Zoroaster, Withered, Apocalyptic Visions, Torche, Mastodon, Harvey Milk, Baroness, Kylesa, and Royal Thunder....

But my favorite "stoner" band is the UK's Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats...

• December 6, 2012 8:25 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

HA HA , That's exactly what it is , a "Coming Out Thread". But , James will attest , there was a time in the 90's when there was'nt much difference between Garage and Metal. Just as there was'nt much difference between Punk and Metal by the mid - 80's.
      I met this guy at a show , one time , that was attended by some of The Fuzztones. He had that look , the pale skin , dyed , straightened black hair and black gear. I asked him if he was in The Fuzztones. "No" , he said , with a sad look in his eye , "I'm in DANZIG.".

i WAS ON THE TRAIN , HERE IN CHICAGO , ON MY WAY TO SEE Dee Dee Ramone and The Chinese Dragons . a BLACK sABBATH (As in the ca. 1980 or "Heaven and Hell " lineup. ) and Danzig show was letting out , and all the concertgoers were spilling out onto the train , most of them young Beavis and Butthead types , going "DUDE! THAT KICKED ASS!" "DUDE! DID YOU SEE DIO AT ALPINE VALLEY WHEN HE CAME OUT ON A DRAGON ?!! THAT WAS AWESOME !!".

Suddenly , this older guy (Yes , even older than me.)  who looked exactly like TODD on "Beavis and Butthead",  mutters , "You guys are talkin' bullshit ! I saw Black Sabbath back in The 70's ! " . So did my Brothers , that and Fifty cents 'll get you a daily paper , but , I had to applaud him. He shut those kids down , but good.
       Tersicore said:

Oh Cool, a Coming-Out Thread!!

as a child an uncle introduced me to Rock (which i later advanced on my own) like Slade, Iron Butterfly, Uriah Heep, to Deep purple, Led Zeppelin; Black Sabbath and Motörhead (they were GREAT!), but also to some psychedelic or Progressive and experimental (Frank Zappa, the italian Premiata Forneria Marconi, Banco del mutuo soccorso, later I also listen to Krautrock, like Can and Neu. Etc)…

This was all before I discovered Punk and all the rest at age 13, so during the ´80s I didn´t hear to this stuff anymore (except maybe some Thrashmetal by Slayer)

But  posterior, working all the 90s-decade in lighting eng., it happened to me to dig lot of Stoner Rock like Kyuss and Monster Magnet (I really felt in love with) but also Fu Manchu or Queen of the Stone Age. As well some Doom metal bands first of all Saint Vitus. 
      Working with those bands, (not only, but also) it happen often to hang around together. Which was nice. I become friend with some of them like Armando Acosta-one of the most impressive drummers ever- RIP, Bro): or John Garcia (great guy).
      In my circle of friends in Berlin I had (the german) Jingo the Lunch and Pothead which you can´t say they did Stoner R. or Doom M. but they were listen at, a lot.

I don´t know where to put them (i´m mixing all up now - and going off  topic) but at that time I listen also to bands like Suicidal Tendencies or Rage against the machine. Also Helmet, White Zombie, Ministry, Prong (Tommy Victor was a really nice guy, and guess still is) I even heard to Type o Negative (the album Bloody kisses was quite good) and Danzig for a while (don´t beat me but Glenn was a dork, and guess still is :D).

It was an heavy laps of time those 90s, BUT I´M CLEAN NOW!

:D

I can´t resist! :)

• December 6, 2012 6:00 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

So many Georgia metal bands, including: Zoroaster, Withered, Apocalyptic Visions, Torche, Mastodon, Harvey Milk, Baroness, Kylesa, and Royal Thunder....

But my favorite "stoner" band is the UK's Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats...

• December 6, 2012 11:53 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

maybe not stoner. but good shit oldschool/new wave going on here. with some dash of africa!

• December 6, 2012 11:47 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm not that old thou but Motörhead always kicks ass!
      dave said:

How many of you older folks out there went through the ol' 'I'm a punk now, and all metal/hard-rock sucks!' It bit me at the start of '84 (think that's Metal's all-time-low for units sold, w/ alla those hairspray metal bands). Sold my Priest, AC/DC, and a buncha lame-ass others. What got me back into it initially was hearing Motorhead, then after that, more experimental metal. Glad I came back! But Hairspray-Metal Still Sucks!

• December 6, 2012 11:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

good blog.

Joey Fuckup said:

In case any of you guys are interested, I came across this blog that specializes in late '60's-mid '70's proto metal, doom, stoner, heavy prog & psych, and yes, even snotty garage. It's called "The Day After the Sabbath", and Rich (who operates the blog) unearths lots of obscurities from all around the globe. He does widen the span a bit to go into the '80's, and will also include newer bands from the stoner rock genre, usually doing a cover. I know this thread is narrowing on the newer scene, but there is TONS of stuff on there for download that you guys would dig. Check it out here: http://www.aftersabbath.com/

• December 6, 2012 11:34 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh Cool, a Coming-Out Thread!!

as a child an uncle introduced me to Rock (which i later advanced on my own) like Slade, Iron Butterfly, Uriah Heep, to Deep purple, Led Zeppelin; Black Sabbath and Motörhead (they were GREAT!), but also to some psychedelic or Progressive and experimental (Frank Zappa, the italian Premiata Forneria Marconi, Banco del mutuo soccorso, later I also listen to Krautrock, like Can and Neu. Etc)…

This was all before I discovered Punk and all the rest at age 13, so during the ´80s I didn´t hear to this stuff anymore (except maybe some Thrashmetal by Slayer)

But  posterior, working all the 90s-decade in lighting eng., it happened to me to dig lot of Stoner Rock like Kyuss and Monster Magnet (I really felt in love with) but also Fu Manchu or Queen of the Stone Age. As well some Doom metal bands first of all Saint Vitus. 
      Working with those bands, (not only, but also) it happen often to hang around together. Which was nice. I become friend with some of them like Armando Acosta-one of the most impressive drummers ever- RIP, Bro): or John Garcia (great guy).
      In my circle of friends in Berlin I had (the german) Jingo the Lunch and Pothead which you can´t say they did Stoner R. or Doom M. but they were listen at, a lot.

I don´t know where to put them (i´m mixing all up now - and going off  topic) but at that time I listen also to bands like Suicidal Tendencies or Rage against the machine. Also Helmet, White Zombie, Ministry, Prong (Tommy Victor was a really nice guy, and guess still is) I even heard to Type o Negative (the album Bloody kisses was quite good) and Danzig for a while (don´t beat me but Glenn was a dork, and guess still is :D).

It was an heavy laps of time those 90s, BUT I´M CLEAN NOW!

:D

I can´t resist! :)

• December 6, 2012 11:29 AM CST
    • Untitled

There is a 24/7 stoner/doom internet station called "Grip Of Delusion Radio" with a whole slate of podcasts as well as streaming tunes that the station owner plays from his own personal collection. Plus he's constantly adding music and links to the site as he's become quite a pal with a lot of bands from that genre's underground. Here's the link: http://www.steamingheathen.com/delusion/

• December 6, 2012 10:54 AM CST
    • Untitled

Hey James, I'm not sure how much obscurities are in your music collection, but if you hit up "The Day After the Sabbath" blog that I mentioned earlier in this thread, there's quite a bit for download. The link is posted in my previous comment on here.

James Porter said:

I like it, but I'm pretty selective about it. Not everybody was good. And strangely enough, I'd rather hear the lesser-knowns than the famous acts. I liked Black Sabbath and Deep Purple when I was a teenager, but have no use for them now. Yet I can deal with the obscure likes of Bang, Dust, Privilege, George Brigman, Pentagram, etc., anyday.

Still like Led Zeppelin and Blue Cheer, though.

• December 6, 2012 9:08 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There's a band called Dali's Llama that I really dig. Quite a lot of the sludge type bands really do it for me more though.
    • December 6, 2012 3:52 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Newer bands? Amplified Heat is pretty good. Atomic Bitchwax was good too, but I don't think they're together anymore.

• December 6, 2012 3:50 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like it, but I'm pretty selective about it. Not everybody was good. And strangely enough, I'd rather hear the lesser-knowns than the famous acts. I liked Black Sabbath and Deep Purple when I was a teenager, but have no use for them now. Yet I can deal with the obscure likes of Bang, Dust, Privilege, George Brigman, Pentagram, etc., anyday.

Still like Led Zeppelin and Blue Cheer, though.

• December 5, 2012 9:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I grew up on Sabbath. They helped mold my "onward thru the fog" ways in the 70s. Monster Magnet has some really good music. Powertrip was cool, but Dopes To Infinity is probably my fav. I like The Sword because I saw them here in Austin playing dive bars b4 they took flight. But as I am starting to get older and roll downhill I am finding that classic blues, garage punk and garage rock is my primary listening choice and will be until the flame burns out.

• December 5, 2012 8:10 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

fuck yeah, 13 and Sir Lord Baltimore!! I still have live tapes of Harvey Milk circa '93-'94...

• December 5, 2012 4:36 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just saw UFO , two weeks ago. They killed ! They still have something that's different , tho' I urge anyone who's into this "Stoner " thing to pick up on UFO's first two albums (And their early 70's live LP. Not "Strangers in The Night , tho' that's great , too.) , as well as Scorpions ' first two (Which sound NOTHING like what they went on to do- More like Sabs meet Pink Fairies.). Larry Wallis from The Pink Fairies was briefly in UFO AND Motorhead. So , Pink Fairies , Deviants , Third World War , Hard Stuff , Crushed Butler , Budgie , stuff like that......I also saw UFO in '78 , with a little known band called Judas Priest opening. Halford could'nt even afford any bondage gear at the time ! He had a leather cap on , that's about it. I dont mean , that's about IT. On the ballad tip , UFO DID A VERY CREDIBLE VERSION OF "Aloneagain or.''.

MikeL said:

I used to be a big metal fan, but I'm not much into it these days.  Getting into punk rock has made me appreciate Black Sabbath a lot more, and I also like Blue Cheer, mainly their first album, "Vincebus Eruptum."  Led Zeppelin leaves me kind of cold nowadays; no rip on the band, but they just don't do anything for me anymore.  Not quite certain if they fall into this category, but I still like Guns'n'Roses.  Oh, and I also still like UFO.  They recorded some really cool power ballads WITHOUT the cheesiness of those 80s bands, long before power ballads became the norm.

• December 5, 2012 3:56 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I used to be a big metal fan, but I'm not much into it these days.  Getting into punk rock has made me appreciate Black Sabbath a lot more, and I also like Blue Cheer, mainly their first album, "Vincebus Eruptum."  Led Zeppelin leaves me kind of cold nowadays; no rip on the band, but they just don't do anything for me anymore.  Not quite certain if they fall into this category, but I still like Guns'n'Roses.  Oh, and I also still like UFO.  They recorded some really cool power ballads WITHOUT the cheesiness of those 80s bands, long before power ballads became the norm.

• December 5, 2012 3:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

How many of you older folks out there went through the ol' 'I'm a punk now, and all metal/hard-rock sucks!' It bit me at the start of '84 (think that's Metal's all-time-low for units sold, w/ alla those hairspray metal bands). Sold my Priest, AC/DC, and a buncha lame-ass others. What got me back into it initially was hearing Motorhead, then after that, more experimental metal. Glad I came back! But Hairspray-Metal Still Sucks!

• December 5, 2012 3:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Fuck yeah, Electric Wizard, it's only been in the past year that I've been turned onto DopeThrone, and EyeHateGod drip with hate! Always looking for new types of metal (but not nu-metal)...

Axel Björnsson said:

I listened lot to kyuss before. but im not fan of this high pitch singing that is very often in these kind of bands (kyuss got their cool songs thou). and i'm also not fan of this most manly voice in the world like down. For me pure screaming fits best to this kind of music. bands like Eyehategod, Weedeater and Bongzilla do this very well. I'm also fan for scary doom straight from Black Sabbath like Electric Wizard, Saint Vitus, Goatsnake... Electric Wizard is one of my alltime favorite bands. I forgot about Fu Manchu, they talk more than sing that is good, and they rock.

• December 5, 2012 11:21 AM CST
    • Untitled

In case any of you guys are interested, I came across this blog that specializes in late '60's-mid '70's proto metal, doom, stoner, heavy prog & psych, and yes, even snotty garage. It's called "The Day After the Sabbath", and Rich (who operates the blog) unearths lots of obscurities from all around the globe. He does widen the span a bit to go into the '80's, and will also include newer bands from the stoner rock genre, usually doing a cover. I know this thread is narrowing on the newer scene, but there is TONS of stuff on there for download that you guys would dig. Check it out here: http://www.aftersabbath.com/

• December 5, 2012 10:55 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Anyone who knows me , knows I love The Cheer , and The Purps and The Sabs to a lesser extent. A lot of great , obscure , early 70's Hard Rock has been reissued , lately. I even like Iron Butterfly. I saw 'em in '96 , and they blew my head off. But , I never got into the newer "Stoner Rock " bands. I understand what they're doing , but I'm a bigger fan of some of the bands  that , whether it was obvious or not , influenced the new movement.

• December 5, 2012 10:43 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good to see stoner fans around ! I will have to post the links to our second band (same bass player, same drummer, different guitarist) here, we re waiting for the mastering of our 1st album. And good new for Axel and Frank, we are 90% instrumental !

• December 5, 2012 9:57 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I agree, a lot of times for me, the singer will make or break a band. That's why I'm into Windhand, they have a chick singer, but the singing is more atmospheric than trying to sound like a manly man.

Axel Björnsson said:

I listened lot to kyuss before. but im not fan of this high pitch singing that is very often in these kind of bands (kyuss got their cool songs thou). and i'm also not fan of this most manly voice in the world like down. For me pure screaming fits best to this kind of music. bands like Eyehategod, Weedeater and Bongzilla do this very well. I'm also fan for scary doom straight from Black Sabbath like Electric Wizard, Saint Vitus, Goatsnake... Electric Wizard is one of my alltime favorite bands. I forgot about Fu Manchu, they talk more than sing that is good, and they rock.

• December 5, 2012 9:51 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel