Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Live audio broadcasting: Tips for a first timer?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 20, 2009 3:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I usually don't have a problem figuring out the best way to do something by googling - but this live-audio-broadcast business seems a bit daunting. I have a decent grasp on computer/internet related stuff but I'm having trouble figuring out the best cheap way to do a live audio broadcast. I'm wanting to do a one night broadcast from a bar I'm djing at on Halloween. Lots of trashy, spooky stuff, while also talking live. But I'll just be using the bar's internet (fairly decent but I don't have numbers). Is there a free, reliable host for live streaming audio? If not - anyone know of a hook up (say $50 dollars or less) for a pay service? Or am I way off and there's some super easy way of doing this? All replies will be greatly, greatly appreciated. I love garagepunk.com!!!!
    • November 1, 2009 7:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Update: in case anyone else was interested in the whole live broadcast thing - I finally tried Ubroadcast and it worked out so-so. I think it would have been better if I'd had a) A 2nd external soundcard and b) a secure internet connection at the bar I was broadcasting from. I paid the 6.95 for a plan that allows up to 500 listeners and some storage. Not a bad price. audio quality wasn't the greatest - but that was on my end I'm pretty sure. Anyhow, I'm gonna do more! I'm hooked!
    • October 23, 2009 4:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There are a few free packages out there that allow you to stream from your computer to others. Without a repeater, listeners may have to connect directly to your IP address of your cable modem. Icecast is a "free" version of Shoutcast, which broadcasts a stream to their repeater and surely must put ads in, whereas Icecast just broadcasts from your own computer, avoiding a repeater. So, you might want to look into Icecast as well as a Darwin Streaming Server which can take a live show and stream it over the Internet. Here are some links that might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_streaming_media_systems http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_streaming_media_systems

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• October 22, 2009 11:09 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Actually srsly thank you for the reply. I thought maybe I was crazy or stupid or something. But yeah - someone should make it cheap, dang it. All the places I called have a base fee of like $300 bucks! Rosa said:
      I co-host a live audio podcast and what you're describing is not doable cheaply unless you want you have a friend who does it professionally. It's ALOT of work. The set up we have is in a professional sound studio and we *still* outsource the pros to capture and host the feed.

Sorry to be a bummer. : ( but have fun! : )
    • October 22, 2009 10:37 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I co-host a live audio podcast and what you're describing is not doable cheaply unless you want you have a friend who does it professionally. It's ALOT of work. The set up we have is in a professional sound studio and we *still* outsource the pros to capture and host the feed.

Sorry to be a bummer. : ( but have fun! : )

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel