Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Heaviest, dirtiest, trashiest '60s song...

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 2, 2012 5:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Before the likes of Hendrix, Cream, Deep Purple etc, exactly How hard, heavy, dirty, trashy, raucous, screamy, aggressive, or dark, did stuff get?

I've got plenty of wild tracks, but was just wondering how far the limits were pushed, or if there's any gems i've missed!

• December 27, 2012 10:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

By all accounts , this is (Pre- dullsville) Jimmy Page. Page (still in The Yardbirds.) and McKay met in Texas , and Mckay sent the master tape , minus the guitar parts , to Page in London , who dubbed in this screamin' fretwork.

Mckay (A former Pianist with Gene Vincent's Blue Caps.)appeared in Larry Buchanan's 1966 Schlock Horror TV movie , "Creature of Destruction" , doing a killer version of Little Willie John's "All Around The World (Grits Ain't Groceries ) ", and a great original song about "Batman" (Making certain the opening riff was'nt TOO similar to the TV theme , lest he be sued within inches of his life.). McKay , largely unknown in his day , put out an impressive body of work. I'm sure there's a couple of cool comps on his 60's recordings , but , not living in England , I don't fancy that I'll ever see any of them......

• December 27, 2012 10:30 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh, the Hazelwood -- :D Some jerk deleted that vid clip from BoobToob...

Here's some nice dirty noise for y'all

Scotty McKay Quintet

John Battles said:

Oh , but , I have a soft spot for (I believe) Lee Hazelwood's first production on his own label , LHI. "It's a Nice World To Visit (But Not To Live in)" finds Ann - Margaret screaming her lungs out to an intense , Cramps - worthy Fuzz/Psych/ Proto Punk backing. And the lyrics are just as fulla piss and vinegar.  "Nobody wants to hear what ya got to say ....Unless you repeat what they said from yesterday, and if you talk about something new , they just say you're CRAZY ! AND IF YOU DON'T WORK 9 TO 5 , YOU'RE A NO GOOD LAZY....yeh....Why can't people leave my life alone , and think a little more about their own? Let everybody find his thing and DO IT !! Yeh. Nice world to visit ,but not to live in !".
    • December 27, 2012 10:14 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

SOME OF THE TRASHIEST , MOST FUCKED UP 45s I can think of , now , include "Zoo's Blues" . AN INSTRUMENTAL by The Lincoln Park ZOO.....SCREAMIN' , FUZZTONE OVERLOAD , FIERY , and, yes , FUCKED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THE FLIP IS A MACHO SLICE OF GARAGEROCK/CRACKER SOUL with tuff screamin' vocal and more excessive fuzz , with tasty lead Guitar lines. Obviously , it was the "A " SIDE.

By now , I guess , many of our friends , here , know "Fireball " by Mercy (Flipside of the wimp - rocker "Love Can Make You Happy".). It sounds like Travis Wammack and Davie Allan beating the SHIT out of each other. A Fuzztone Instro that GOES somewhere!

Oh , but , I have a soft spot for (I believe) Lee Hazelwood's first production on his own label , LHI. "It's a Nice World To Visit (But Not To Live in)" finds Ann - Margaret screaming her lungs out to an intense , Cramps - worthy Fuzz/Psych/ Proto Punk backing. And the lyrics are just as fulla piss and vinegar.  "Nobody wants to hear what ya got to say ....Unless you repeat what they said from yesterday, and if you talk about something new , they just say you're CRAZY ! AND IF YOU DON'T WORK 9 TO 5 , YOU'RE A NO GOOD LAZY....yeh....Why can't people leave my life alone , and think a little more about their own? Let everybody find his thing and DO IT !! Yeh. Nice world to visit ,but not to live in !".

The flip is more romantic , even contains some acoustic Guitar ,  but bears a similar screaming lead break....."You turned my Head Around" , written by Hazelwood , bears some strange and beautiful Psychedrlic lyirics.....

'i watched the sweet smoke fill the room. My eyes were blind ,til you turned On the moon....

We were three shadows in the night , doing what we thought was all right , then melting til we were just one , and one , and one.......

This amazing record appears on "I'm Gonna Destroy That Boy ' (Virtually all - killer Gurl Garage Punk) , and a recent 45 set of LHI records.......

• December 25, 2012 3:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If you can find it , Screamin' Jay later put out a great album on Phillips , in '69 or '70 , called "What That Is" , produced by Milan Melvin , who did Blue Cheer's third album. It hearkens back to the Hard R'n'B sounds of The 50's , with great (Then) contemporary mixing tricks.

He had another one on Phillips before it , alternately known as "Because is In Your Mind" , "Armpit Rubber" , or just to confuse things further , "Screamin' Jay Hawkins" .  The crazy cool cover painting (  WHICH IS STILL DISPLAYED AT THE ART INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO FROM TIME TO TIME.) is largely the reason for the confusion.....OF THE TWO , THOUGH , I THINK "WHAT THAT IS" IS THE BETTER LP , BUT BOTH ALBUMS WERE RE-RELEASED TOGETHER ON LP , CASSETTE , AND , POSSIBLY CD , 20 - ODD YEARS AGO ON EDSEL. Yes , i know , it's time to do it again.  iT COULD BE , THERE ARE ISSUES WITH HIS ESTATE. I USED TO SEE SCREAMIN' JAY REISSUES ALMOST ALL THE TIME WHEN HE WAS LIVING ,  AND , HE MAINTAINED , UNLIKE MOST OF HIS PEERS , THAT HE DID GET ROYALTIES.

Trash Freak said:

(The Rats wasnt '63 , though a youtube clip claims it is, but The Kingsmen's cut of Louie Louie in 63)  I guess Screamin' Jay Hawkins is tickin a few boxes with some earlier stuff... '56 & '57...

• December 25, 2012 1:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 19, 2012 1:39 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No , The Rats definitely were'nt '63 (Probaby '66 OR LATE 65. i FORGET) . THEIR MAGNUM OPUS (as tHE MYSTICS , i THINK....?) WAS "Snoopy". sOME PEOPLE ON YOU TUBE HANDOUT FALSE INFORMATION , WHEN THE TRUTH IS'NT HARD TO FIND....

• December 19, 2012 12:39 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

(The Rats wasnt '63 , though a youtube clip claims it is, but The Kingsmen's cut of Louie Louie in 63)  I guess Screamin' Jay Hawkins is tickin a few boxes with some earlier stuff... '56 & '57...

• December 19, 2012 3:40 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Don't forget the "SpaZZ" Elastik Band !

"The CrUsHer" by The NOVAS....snicker

"TiLL ThE FollOWing Night" SCreAminG LoRD SUTch... YeHaw

• December 18, 2012 7:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

WEEELLLLLLL
        I'm sure there is , but it would take some thinking , and Garage Punk and Thinking don't go together...
      Trash Freak said:

Is there anything as punk/trashy as The Rats- Rats Revenge, pre 1963?!?
    • December 18, 2012 7:37 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I know some of those tunes had to be post - '63 , like , if I'm not mistaken , John Fred - Boogie Chillun (Line Dancing Rockabilly Chicks international anthem) , Bunker Hill/Link Wray - Hide and Seek Pt. 1 and 2 ,  Floyd Dakil - Dance , Frannie , Dance etc, , but , yes , mostly before 1963. It's like Pebbles , tho'. Got , like 11 volumes , about 20 + years ago , but , I don't listen to them very often , now.....Some of my favorites are Kai Ray - I Want Some
       of That , Tommy Martin and The XLs - The Hoochie Coochie (WHACKED !!!)......
      dave said:

Have you checked out any of the Rockabilly/R&B comps, like DESPERATE ROCK AND ROLL? Hard to get a date on that stuff, but def. some Kraaazy! stuff there, and most of it has to be pre-63. Go to the Crypt site. Hope that helps.

• December 18, 2012 6:21 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

HELL YEAH

Trash Freak said:

Love this version!

• December 18, 2012 5:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Have you checked out any of the Rockabilly/R&B comps, like DESPERATE ROCK AND ROLL? Hard to get a date on that stuff, but def. some Kraaazy! stuff there, and most of it has to be pre-63. Go to the Crypt site. Hope that helps.

• December 18, 2012 5:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Is there anything as punk/trashy as The Rats- Rats Revenge, pre 1963?!?
    • December 18, 2012 11:25 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Kegg's "To Find Out" is about as dissonant as they come.  Also, the Outcasts' "1523 Blair" is a scorcher.  There are loads more out there.

• December 15, 2012 12:28 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

True Scotsmen. Busted for beer. Classic

• December 11, 2012 7:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Knaves' "Leave Me Alone" was kind of atypical of their repertoirre , but , everything on that Sundazed 10" is good. Those guys came out of the Folk SCENE THAT WAS GOING ON IN Old Town , in Chicago (Once the heart of the counterculture. NOT NO DAMNED MORE!) . THE INFAMOUS STORY GOES THAT THE SINGER SANG "LEAVE ME ALONE " (WHICH ALREADY SOUNDS LIKE HE HAD HIS MIDDLE FINGER OUT FOR THE DURATION.)LIVE ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS , BY CHANGING THE LINE"Why don't you choke yourself and leave me alone !" to "Why don't you FUCK yourself...".  Enough people who lived here , then , have confirmed this. One of my friends even saw him do an acoustic version in the early 70's , "F -Bomb" intact.

The other story goes that a High Schooler in Chicago was having an affair with a Teacher , and the Vice Principal found out , and was giving him Hell about it.....So , he decides to off the Vice Principal. The story goes that he bought a gun and a round of ammunition , and played "Leave Me Alone" over and over at a local teen hangout , while planning the kill , when he was apprehended by The Police. That story may or may not be true. bOTH STORIES WERE IN kICKS , BUT , SOME OF MY OLDER FRIENDS HAD HEARD THE LATTER TALE , ALSO. I met The Knaves' former Drummer a few years back. He also had an acoustic - based ,but angry , group called Yama and The Karma Dusters. i did'nt get a chance to ask if those stories were true.
      b.kult said:

Hi,

For me there's nothing like "the aztex - said move", this was THIS 1st song who brought me down to find how many bands like them did have that sound, that powerfull feeling you get when you spin that record on and on, because it never cease to amaze you :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeUrVRpzoJA

Second, also maybe from the BFTG era, comes "just too much - she gaves me time", raunchy wild tune i can't stop still listening :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj7LQDkAFXs

And recently, a more R&B one I just found AMAZING, from 1969, is that tune from "32nd turn off - used to be a tiger" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh7hwlWf2II

and last one, i promise, recently bought that Knave's LP repro from Sundazed, "the knaves - leave me alone", RAUNCHY tune ! :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDCXWsOCw6U

well, that's just my thoughts

• December 11, 2012 2:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi,

For me there's nothing like "the aztex - said move", this was THIS 1st song who brought me down to find how many bands like them did have that sound, that powerfull feeling you get when you spin that record on and on, because it never cease to amaze you :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeUrVRpzoJA

Second, also maybe from the BFTG era, comes "just too much - she gaves me time", raunchy wild tune i can't stop still listening :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj7LQDkAFXs

And recently, a more R&B one I just found AMAZING, from 1969, is that tune from "32nd turn off - used to be a tiger" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh7hwlWf2II

and last one, i promise, recently bought that Knave's LP repro from Sundazed, "the knaves - leave me alone", RAUNCHY tune ! :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDCXWsOCw6U

well, that's just my thoughts

• December 7, 2012 4:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

will up the vote for the Swamp Rats again, another for Los Saicos, then put this up for fun

• December 7, 2012 4:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel