Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: What I discovered today....

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 24, 2012 11:37 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just been struck by a lightning bolt !

Jake Bugg.(suppose to be only 17)
      so genuine..

"Lightning Bolt" is a song by British singer songwriter from Clifton, Nottingham Jake Bugg. It was released as the third single from his debut album studio album Jake Bugg (2012). It was released as a digitaldownload in the United Kingdom on 27 April 2012.

..and what have YOU discovered?

I think I just voted for my "Coolest Song 1012"
      But is not in between! Pity, at least should compete!

• June 23, 2013 7:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's interesting......(Don't reveal the surprise ending!) , I like how it starts real understated , then the backward(?) guitar solo kicks in ! Some guy muttering something in English....

Andy Climax said:

This is lovely. A few years old but Takako is a real Maverick when it comes to music, culture and influence. Enjoy

• June 23, 2013 5:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yay -- I've been waiting for this -- the Green Circles' new track. Rather poppy, but it's fun. And for once, it's nice as an Aussie to hear songs about where I live. :D This is a post as an add-on to my much earlier post about the band from Adelaide. Melissa

• June 9, 2013 7:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This is lovely. A few years old but Takako is a real Maverick when it comes to music, culture and influence. Enjoy

• June 5, 2013 8:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

JOHNNY , I REMEMBER , IT WAS ON A COMPILATION , MAYBE IT WAS THE SUB POP ONE PICTURED ON THAT CLIP.....THAT MAY NOT BE IMPOSSIBLY HARD TO TRACK DOWN. I GUESS SUB POP BEGGED THEM TO DO "STRYCHNINE" SO THEY COULD GET TEH SOUND OF FLAMING LIPS' VERSION OUT OF THEIR HEADS !

DID YOU SAY.....COVER? I THOUGHT POISON 13 WROTE THAT SONG. DID YOU MEAN , THE WASTE KINGS? THEY PUT OUT 3 SINGLES (THE FIRST ON ESTRUS.) , BUT NEVER RELEASED THEIR OWN VERSION . IT WAS JUST A STAPLE IN THEIR LIVE SET.

Johnny Lurg said:

I can't find their cover of "One Step Closer" anywhere.

I also have a 7'' that Sub Pop put out in 1994 featuring four then-unreleased Poison 13 recordings, including their covers of Joy Division's "Warsaw" and The Sonics' "Strychnine."

John Battles said:

Yeah , this came out in about '86. Poison 13 was an early Big Boys offshoot band. IF MY MEMORY SERVES ME RIGHT , THEIR EP INCLUDED THIS SONG , AND VERSIONS OF "PARCHMAN FARM" AND "STRANGE MOVIES". THE SUB POP CD PICTURED HERE , OF COURSE , CAME OUT MUCH LATER. I SAW THEM ONCE , THEY WERE PRETTY ROCKIN' , BUT, BY THE TIME THEY BECAME A "CULT" BAND, YEARS LATER , WITH THE 90'S GARAGE CROWD, I'D LOST INTEREST. THE WASTE KINGS , FROM CHICAGO , DID A BETTER VERSION OF "ONE STEP CLOSER " IN MY PERSONAL OPINION , THOUGH I'M SURE THEY'D DISAGREE.  

'Strange Movies " was almost a standard in Texas (Nervebreakers , T. Tex Edwards with Lithium Xmas and The Swingin' Cornflake Killers , YEAH! YEAH ! YEAH ! with Barry Kooda , etc.).....The Waste Kings , dissed in their day because they could play their instruments, also released a great version of "Strange Movies".

• June 5, 2013 2:26 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I can't find their cover of "One Step Closer" anywhere.

I also have a 7'' that Sub Pop put out in 1994 featuring four then-unreleased Poison 13 recordings, including their covers of Joy Division's "Warsaw" and The Sonics' "Strychnine."

John Battles said:

Yeah , this came out in about '86. Poison 13 was an early Big Boys offshoot band. IF MY MEMORY SERVES ME RIGHT , THEIR EP INCLUDED THIS SONG , AND VERSIONS OF "PARCHMAN FARM" AND "STRANGE MOVIES". THE SUB POP CD PICTURED HERE , OF COURSE , CAME OUT MUCH LATER. I SAW THEM ONCE , THEY WERE PRETTY ROCKIN' , BUT, BY THE TIME THEY BECAME A "CULT" BAND, YEARS LATER , WITH THE 90'S GARAGE CROWD, I'D LOST INTEREST. THE WASTE KINGS , FROM CHICAGO , DID A BETTER VERSION OF "ONE STEP CLOSER " IN MY PERSONAL OPINION , THOUGH I'M SURE THEY'D DISAGREE.  

'Strange Movies " was almost a standard in Texas (Nervebreakers , T. Tex Edwards with Lithium Xmas and The Swingin' Cornflake Killers , YEAH! YEAH ! YEAH ! with Barry Kooda , etc.).....The Waste Kings , dissed in their day because they could play their instruments, also released a great version of "Strange Movies".

• June 4, 2013 11:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Part II of my Green Circles kick... I finally have a copy of this CD and it's really good. Some songs are right from the Garage. Others, are poppy tracks. But it's fun. And it's nice to hear a band that doesn't take itself too bloody seriously!

• June 4, 2013 3:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

rocking out inna garage....

• June 3, 2013 3:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• June 3, 2013 12:05 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Has anybody else heard this before? Sounds a lot like "Blackout of Gretely" and "Dirty Water." This band also did a cover of "Strychnine."

• May 28, 2013 4:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

.....It's not bad, Would'nt call it weird . The puppets and stuff , yeah , but, I like puppets.

It sounds , mainly, like 70's Rock Riffage (Deep Purple , Thin Lizzy , eg.) , but , less heavy. The singer sounds a little too much like Siouxsie for my taste , but she has a GOOD voice. The hookah lounge....even jocks go to the hookah lounge in the states. And the lion with the pipe....Oh , well. It is funny.

• May 28, 2013 3:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

just heard this slab of weirdness about 2 minutes ago. Debut album just out. Apart fae that, I know nothing about them. This is just lovely tho.

• May 1, 2013 8:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hmmmmm.....I just discovered , well , not exactly , a band called Twisted Roots , which several of you might know about. They lasted about a year ('81) , and were made up of past and future Screamers , Germs and Black Flag members. I first heard them in 1986 , when a friend slapped their (Then) best - known song , "Snaked" onto an otherwise Garage / Psych mix tape. It sounded like early Blondie to me , only REALLY pissed off by comparison. The song had been on a Rodney on The Roq compilation. The comp I picked up was from 2004 , but , I seem to remember a similar one , way before that. Also , I saw an album by a solo act by the same name , an INXS /Simply Red LOOKING GUY.  Possibly related ? I FORGET.

Anyway , it's really experimental sometimes Punk/Sometimes Funk sounding riffs. Not unlike a more Punk - edged ESR or Red Krayola on their first comeback bid , or , even , sometimes , The United States of America (Which Mayo Thompson briefly joined.) , tho' it takes a dive into sheer atonality ,  on more than one occasion.  It's pretty interesting , with benefit of hindsight (Only four tracks saw release while the band was together.).

• May 1, 2013 12:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

yeah, and those organ-tunes on top, remarkable! 

Jon S said:

I'm usually not a big hard rock fan, but I like the lo-fi sound, punk energy and b-movie image of Satan's Satyrs.

• April 30, 2013 2:55 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm usually not a big hard rock fan, but I like the lo-fi sound, punk energy and b-movie image of Satan's Satyrs.

• April 29, 2013 4:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's not a household name to me , but , then , I live alone. Sure gives me faith in my own guitar skills. I like parts of it.

Andy Climax said:

These guys are probably household names wi you guys over the pond, but a friend just ailed me these guys new album. Never heard of them before. Lovely

• April 29, 2013 3:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey! I really like how they sounds!!! Thanx Andy! 
      (reminds me of White Zombies or slow-moving Ministry)

Andy Climax said:

Debut album out next month. stunning live set. Enjoy!!!

• April 29, 2013 3:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

...which could be pretty convenient on hard times! :)

Chris Henniker said:

Just got hold of a copy, which really is brilliant. I love every song on it. You don't need to drop acid for this one, as it is acid. ACcccccciiiiiiiid!

Tersicore said:

Chris, I owe you one!! 

This is the kind of shit a really like to discover now and again! :)
      Is this the same band, really? Hard to believe!
      AAAAAaacccccciiiiiiiiiiiiiddddddddddd!  

Chris Henniker said:

How about some curried Goat, laced with Acid naturally? I heard them in Rough Trade while getting Mum & Dad's Christmas presents.

• April 27, 2013 8:29 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

These guys are probably household names wi you guys over the pond, but a friend just ailed me these guys new album. Never heard of them before. Lovely

• April 25, 2013 5:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I'll investigate it, Andy.
    • April 25, 2013 5:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

buy it. you really won't be disappointed. the live set had the same energy as any Man or Astroman gig I ever saw, and that's saying something

• April 25, 2013 5:05 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I saw The War Room on sale at Rough Trade.
    • April 25, 2013 5:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah. Was on the 'War Room e.p'. Saw'em live last year. last gig I saw with my bassman Joe before he went to the great Ampeg factory in the sky (god bless him. very sorley missed). They were amazing. one drummer and a guy with a bank of sounds, a guitar and a banjo. theyre playing up here again next month. cannae wait. If any of ya get the chance to check'em out.... Go figure

• April 25, 2013 4:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I think I heard PSB on 6 Music, who sampled Public INFOrmation Films from the 1930's ("If War Should Come").

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel