Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Rock 'n' Roll Rumors and Urban Legends

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 16, 2012 4:28 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Strangely I'd never heard the Rod myth, here (UK) it was always credited to Marc Almond.

John Battles said:

YOU KNOW WHAT , YOU'RE RIGHT ! THERE IS A BOOK , THERE.....I heard it in Junior High at the same time. We were kids , not particularly progressive in our thinking , we wanted to believe certain things , but , in the back of my mind , I thought another kid at school made it up.  I did'nt hear the story again for YEARS , until my friend's band , Lava Sutra , made reference to it in a song. It WAS the equivalent of what "Going viral "is , today. Peter Bagge DID A HILARIOUS CARTOON , around that time ,  changing said Rock STAR'S NAME TO "Reginald".

trashman said:

Well we all know the Rod Stewart one.

But what I find interesting is how it all evolved.  I remember hearing it back in 4th or 5th grade (1979 or 80); but I heard it from a kid in a lunch room.  And I thought it sort of started there. Then I met kids in other high schools and they knew it.  Then onto college and they knew it.  Then professional life living all over the U.S. and they knew it.  

This rumor was spread before the days of the internet so remarkable the way it carried along an oral tradition (no pun intended) of storytelling.  Of course, we all got to an age we knew it was false but remarkable to the extent this dirty little rumor spread.  

I recently heard Rod Stewart address while doing the media tour for his new book.  It was started by an ex-publicist he fired.  Remarkable.  

The way this story spread via person to person in the late 70s/80s is worth a book in itself.

• November 16, 2012 3:34 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It was a BIG deal at the time. "The Great Hoax" , they called it. McCartney's last album , for me , was "Run , Devil Run". The others don't count.

Andy Climax said:

Does the Paul Mccartney's dead rumour count? Abbey Road'n'all that guff. Back then i suppose it was news. Now, after the last album, it would be a blessing! (only joking of course)

• November 16, 2012 3:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THAT , I can believe. They probably would have had more fun , too.....But , Elvis may have already been handed early drafts of the "Spinout" or "Speedway" scripts , so he would have had an unfair home field advantage. 

Johnny Danger / Itchy Scabs said:

Such as it's true The Beatles visited Elvis Presley at one of his California homes in '64 or '65 (?). What's unlikely is that The Beatles and Elvis broke into a jam session , or that they played Monopoly with real money. Does'nt seem like the world will ever know.  

However, it is very likely that the Beatles raced the King on his personal professional grade slot car track (a Blue King 8 laner). Who won?

• November 16, 2012 3:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YOU KNOW WHAT , YOU'RE RIGHT ! THERE IS A BOOK , THERE.....I heard it in Junior High at the same time. We were kids , not particularly progressive in our thinking , we wanted to believe certain things , but , in the back of my mind , I thought another kid at school made it up.  I did'nt hear the story again for YEARS , until my friend's band , Lava Sutra , made reference to it in a song. It WAS the equivalent of what "Going viral "is , today. Peter Bagge DID A HILARIOUS CARTOON , around that time ,  changing said Rock STAR'S NAME TO "Reginald".

trashman said:

But what I find interesting is how it all evolved.  I remember hearing it back in 4th or 5th grade (1979 or 80); but I heard it from a kid in a lunch room.  And I thought it sort of started there. Then I met kids in other high schools and they knew it.  Then onto college and they knew it.  Then professional life living all over the U.S. and they knew it.  

This rumor was spread before the days of the internet so remarkable the way it carried along an oral tradition (no pun intended) of storytelling.  Of course, we all got to an age we knew it was false but remarkable to the extent this dirty little rumor spread.  

I recently heard Rod Stewart address while doing the media tour for his new book.  It was started by an ex-publicist he fired.  Remarkable.  

The way this story spread via person to person in the late 70s/80s is worth a book in itself.

• November 16, 2012 3:06 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"I was drowned , I was washed up and left for dead." . That's true , but it was'nt duly noted and authorized , notorized and stamped with a Grade A seal , so , the confession was deemed inadmissable. The movie "Stoned" was based on the book "Who Killed Christopher Robin" , based on the theory that Brian was murdered.

Mark George Harrison said:

The rumour started because Jones was a strong swimmer, even if shitfaced, but took a bizarre twist when builder Frank Thorogood(?) gave a death bed confession that he drowned Brian because he was an obnoxious shit!

Kirk Teeters said:

What about the persistent rumor that Brian Jones was "done away with"? No one ever seems to have come up with a particularly convincing explanation for "Who" or "Why"  but every time it's mentioned in the media there's that bit about "rumors abound that he met with foul play."

• November 16, 2012 3:02 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THAT is too funny , Andy ! Someone told  me , years ago ,  about a band called Nickel Bag , I thought , "What a stupid name!" , then , I realized I'd misunderstood , "Nickelback? That's even worse. ". I was hardly surprised when I found they'd raised the bar for how bad a band can BE!

I heard this as well, obviously a myth!

SMF said:

HA... Good one!!!

Andy Climax said:

Another myth i heard fro a friend recently was, that Nickleback were good? is this true?

• November 16, 2012 2:58 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YEAH , WHATSHISNAME , THE GUY WHO WROTE "UP AND DOWN WITH THE ROLLING STONES" , TONY SANCHEZ  ? HE SAID THAT A DOCTOR IN SWITZERLAND PERFORMED THE VERY ILLEGAL (AND QUITE IMPOSSIBLE) TRANSFUSION OF ALL THE BLOOD FROM HIS BODY , TO BE REPLACED WITH FRESH , DRUG -FREE BLOOD......AND THAT KEITH OFFERED TO LET HIM HAVE THE SAME TRANSFUSION , ON HIS DIME. "HEY , DADDY-O ...MAKE MINE TYPE "O"".

I THINK THE RUMOR WAS COMPOUNDED BY THE FACT THAT , AROUND '78 , KEEF UNDERWENT SOME KIND OF ELECTROSHOCK TREATMENT (Or something related...) TO CURE HIM OF JUNK ADDICTION (TOO MUCH POWER , AND HE'D HAVE BEEN CURED LIKE A TURKEY! Come to think of it , he looks like he HAS.).....CREEM RAN AN ARTICLE ABOUT IT , AND , THOUGH HE , NATURALLY , STILL LOOK DISSHEVELED , HE LOOKED REMARKABLY HEALTHY BY COMPARISON.

I SAW THE NEW BARBARIANS TOUR IN FT. WORTH , AND KEEF DID LOOK SURPRISINGLY GOOD. HE EVEN HAD GOOD HAIR FOR A CHANGE.  Of course , his Heroin bust , right about that time , put all rumor of his getting clean to paid.

I personally always loved the Keef having his blood changed one!

• November 16, 2012 2:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I DON'T THINK SO.....Not much more than Gacy was promoting Rock shows in the Mid - 60's , ostensibly to meet young men.....But , not to KILL THEM. RAY SAID , ONCE , THAT HE WAS KIND OF COMING ON TO DAVE , BUT DAVE'S OBVIOUS DISINTEREST WAS ACKNOWLEDGED BY GACY , WHO AT LEAST RESPECTED HIS WISHES , AFTER THE FACT. 

Ken said:

I didn't know the John Wayne Gacy thing.  Is there more of a story there?

John Battles said:

As for Ray Davies , there's no doubt he was stressed out , and had a run of bad luck (3 year Ban from The US , anyone?). But , he's probably the luckiest man alive. When he and his Brother went to John Wayne Gacy's house , at least he had'nt begun his killing spree.
    • November 16, 2012 1:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I personally always loved the Keef having his blood changed one!

• November 16, 2012 1:50 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I heard this as well, obviously a myth!

SMF said:

HA... Good one!!!

Andy Climax said:

Another myth i heard fro a friend recently was, that Nickleback were good? is this true?

• November 16, 2012 1:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The rumour started because Jones was a strong swimmer, even if shitfaced, but took a bizarre twist when builder Frank Thorogood(?) gave a death bed confession that he drowned Brian because he was an obnoxious shit!

Kirk Teeters said:

What about the persistent rumor that Brian Jones was "done away with"? No one ever seems to have come up with a particularly convincing explanation for "Who" or "Why"  but every time it's mentioned in the media there's that bit about "rumors abound that he met with foul play."

• November 16, 2012 12:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

One that's true, but good enough to be a legend, is that Keith Richards literally wrote the guitar line to Satisfaction in his sleep.

Richards used to keep an audio recorder by his bed. One morning he woke up to find that the tape was at the end. Richards rewound it and hit play -- pause -- bwam-bwam...nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh...bwam-bwam for thirty seconds. Then the sound of the guitar being thrown down. Then forty-five minutes of snoring.

• November 16, 2012 5:28 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I didn't know the John Wayne Gacy thing.  Is there more of a story there?

John Battles said:

As for Ray Davies , there's no doubt he was stressed out , and had a run of bad luck (3 year Ban from The US , anyone?). But , he's probably the luckiest man alive. When he and his Brother went to John Wayne Gacy's house , at least he had'nt begun his killing spree.
    • November 16, 2012 3:08 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think Ringo would've won it by a nose, haha

Kirk Teeters said:

I'm bettin' on Elvis. After all, it was his track. So... home-field advantage?

Such as it's true The Beatles visited Elvis Presley at one of his California homes in '64 or '65 (?). What's unlikely is that The Beatles and Elvis broke into a jam session , or that they played Monopoly with real money. Does'nt seem like the world will ever know.  

However, it is very likely that the Beatles raced the King on his personal professional grade slot car track (a Blue King 8 laner). Who won?

• November 15, 2012 11:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm bettin' on Elvis. After all, it was his track. So... home-field advantage?

• November 15, 2012 11:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• November 15, 2012 9:39 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• November 15, 2012 6:02 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

HA... Good one!!!

Andy Climax said:

• November 15, 2012 4:14 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• November 15, 2012 4:09 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Does the Paul Mccartney's dead rumour count? Abbey Road'n'all that guff. Back then i suppose it was news. Now, after the last album, it would be a blessing! (only joking of course)

• November 15, 2012 3:32 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• November 15, 2012 1:42 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The James Brown vs. Joe Tex debacle has many twists and turns. Hello ,James Porter !
      Tell the good people about it , James......

I knew an older Black gentleman who claimed to have performed with the best , as a Little Richard impersonator (Right after Richard got religion. THERE WAS DEMAND FOR SOMEONE WHO COULD DO HIS ACT.). He certainly knew enough about certain performers , I had no cause to doubt him . He even asked me , "Do you know what happened to my good friend in Texas? Esq....ESQUERITA ?". Of course , I had to tell him. But , he told me Joe Tex was the best performer he'd ever seen , and that James Brown got a lot of his schtick from him.

Screamin' Jay Hawkins had a talent for not telling the same story , the same way , twice , or changing his opinion of another performer at the drop of a hat.
      I don't knock it , that's human nature.....to an extent , anyway.
      When I met Hawkins , he was talking about how James Brown challenged him to a scream - off. He said he told him , "OK , I WILL SCREAM YOU INTO THE GROUND , DOING ONE OF YOUR SONGS !" ....So , they both sang "Please , Please , Please" together , and , when it was over "James Brown has hackin' and coughin' , and I said , "I told you ! It's time for the pupil to meet the master!"......But , in Spin (Yes , Spin was half worth a damn , many years ago.) , Screamin' Jay said he did a bill with Brown at The Apollo ,and the Famous Flames , who were to back everyone , did'nt want any part of him. So , he told them , "OK , you don't have to rehearse with me. I WILL DO ALL JAMES BROWN SONGS FOR MY SET.". So , that's what he did. James Brown appeared backstage ,flanked by two bodyguards , saying "Man , you do a HELL of a job with MY songs !". Jay said , "N***** , why don't you turn one of those gorillas on me , right now ?!". When he did , Jay produced a 357 Magnum , and said , "I'd like to see any motherfucker break thrugh THIS !!!".

WHO KNOWS WHICH STORY IS CLOSER TO THE TRUTH? IT'S ALL IN THE NAME OF ENTERTAINMENT.

• November 15, 2012 7:34 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I love these kinds of stories!  I even started an recurring short in Nix Comics about these kinds of myths:

Joe Tex and James Brown's feud from issue #3 (Art by Matt Wyatt):

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0iakJ5yvUeUNlBzRnVPNXQxUzQ

Ray Davies's mental Break Down from issue #4 (Art by Darren Merinuk)

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0iakJ5yvUeUc0djbkREYzhfM0U

In upcoming issues I'm going to do Screamin' Jay Hawkins going into the studio with the intent of laying down a classic-smooth love ballad and coming out with "I Put A Spell On You" and the mysterious circumstances behind the death of Bobby Fuller.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel