Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: TELL ME, DO YOU READ ANY JUNKY COMICBOOKS, OR THE MODERN: GRAPHI

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 27, 2009 11:33 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi and Hello Garagebookworms and Archivars of the Superniché Materials! Say, are you reading any Comicsbooks, Minicomics, Strips, Cartoons, or drawn Zines??? Let me know what affects you outta that corner!

Here for the stir

• February 10, 2013 2:57 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

DC Comics Turns the Occupy Movement Into a Superhero Title

Eighteen months after the phrase first entered the collective public consciousness, the plight of the 99 percent is coming to mainstream superhero comics — via a new series from the second biggest publisher in the American comic industry, which just happens to be a subsidiary of a multi-national corporation that makes around $12 billion a year. Irony, anybody?

• February 5, 2013 1:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sounds about like what I'd think. Apart from a few Transmetropolitans I'm not familiar with his work/style, but I don't really find crime/mystery books too worthwhile, aside from Chandler. I will plug the short novel The Ice Harvest as one of the most funny books I've read in the last 15 years, cool dark humor.

Too much violence just doesn't do anything for me. Saw Clockwork Orange once, and I'll never see it again...

P.S Love the cutie at the top!

IDON MINE said:

Yeah, heard about those Warren Ellis books.

I'm somehow intrigued to read them, I like someone who devotes himself to trash literature (and that's a seal of quality folks, not dismissal) on such a rapid (and rabid...) scale. BUT, I have to say, it's too openly tough guy for me, too in your face gruesome. Let's scare some squares and baffle some critics with our well stated points made, on how bad the world is, how mean and dark people's souls can get and who would survive (no one?) in the aftermath of described circumstances. "You don't like it? Don't get it? Then GTFO, this is for the fans!" That's a simplification of course. And just my opinion as a "reader" though.

Is my judgment wrong and hasty before I even read one of his novels? Most possibly so. Warren Ellis is Warren Ellis, I don't expect him to become Mr. Moral, I just find myself not enjoying overtly violent stories just for the effect and BANG of it, however skilled the writer may be. Soooo, I'll shut up now and let the diggers dig!

• February 5, 2013 4:25 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, heard about those Warren Ellis books.

I'm somehow intrigued to read them, I like someone who devotes himself to trash literature (and that's a seal of quality folks, not dismissal) on such a rapid (and rabid...) scale. BUT, I have to say, it's too openly tough guy for me, too in your face gruesome. Let's scare some squares and baffle some critics with our well stated points made, on how bad the world is, how mean and dark people's souls can get and who would survive (no one?) in the aftermath of described circumstances. "You don't like it? Don't get it? Then GTFO, this is for the fans!" That's a simplification of course. And just my opinion as a "reader" though.

Is my judgment wrong and hasty before I even read one of his novels? Most possibly so. Warren Ellis is Warren Ellis, I don't expect him to become Mr. Moral, I just find myself not enjoying overtly violent stories just for the effect and BANG of it, however skilled the writer may be. Soooo, I'll shut up now and let the diggers dig!

Here for the stir

• February 3, 2013 2:42 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Transmetropolitan author Warren Ellis publishes 2nd novel.

Reviewer gives it a thumbs-up.

• January 22, 2013 5:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yess! Best New Find is Zen Pencils, a webcomic that takes quotes from famous people and puts it into panels. Newest has Carl Sagan.

• January 15, 2013 1:17 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for the titles, I'll look for them. Fun Home is great. I just tried to read her sequel, Are You My Mother, but it takes even more concentration than Fun Home (but still excellent).

Allerleirauh said:

I'm currently reading the the graphic novel "Fun House" by Alison Bechdel. It's really good. As for comics... Invincible, Mind the Gap, Battlepug (webcomic), Scarlet...

• January 13, 2013 8:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm currently reading the the graphic novel "Fun House" by Alison Bechdel. It's really good. As for comics... Invincible, Mind the Gap, Battlepug (webcomic), Scarlet...

• January 3, 2013 8:12 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hahaha, thanks - the Nick Fury one really cracked me up. Yeah, hope everyone's fine on their end of the globe as well, holiday fatigue and all.

dave said:

Hope everyone is having a better time than these guys. Only New Years to go, and this stuff/ordeal will be over...

Here for the stir

• January 3, 2013 8:10 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yep, thanks for the clarification, hope I didn't spoil no one's reading when they got the book and found out part 2 of the christian murderfest wasn't included, haha. I'm not the most detail savy person out there, when it comes to being accurate on the topic of religious books. Old, new, all the same to me ;)

John Battles said:

...R.Crumb did do The Old Testament. The thought of Basil Wolverton doing the Bible (Though I know that's not what you meant.) is TOO funny.

Here for the stir

• December 28, 2012 5:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hope everyone is having a better time than these guys. Only New Years to go, and this stuff/ordeal will be over...

• December 24, 2012 10:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

...R.Crumb did do The Old Testament. The thought of Basil Wolverton doing the Bible (Though I know that's not what you meant.) is TOO funny.

• August 21, 2009 5:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

READING Jeff Smiths BONE IN SINGLE ISSUES AND LOVING IT!

Here for the stir

• July 4, 2009 2:25 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YEP for realz! and it is the only one I would read, even though it's the bible! ...Sorry I'm not really into that religious stuff! Anyhow! HERE it is! Crumbs bible that he does is getting some shit for whatever reason. I guess this one should be awesome too! movingV said:
      was there a whole Wolverton bible? I know he did the Revelations. Great stuff.

Here for the stir

• July 4, 2009 1:53 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

was there a whole Wolverton bible? I know he did the Revelations. Great stuff.
    • July 3, 2009 12:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes the KUPPERMAN is gold! Seems we have a bit of a FANTAGRAPHICS theme going! Also in that vain, I totally dig the Noah vanSciver Stuffffff! The guys awesome! BLAMMO! There is the Basil wolverton Bible out (or isn't it yet???) Johnny Singles said:
      I've currently slipped back into one of my periodic fan-boy obessions with Eric Powell's The Goon...

Amongst others I'm a big fan of the old-school style art in Michael Kupperman's Tales Designed to Thrizzle:

I picked up the first part of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century the other day - not so bad, but I'm thinking that it's not really going to work as a complete and rounded peice untill all the chapters are in (making the yearly release dates pretty irritating...)

Here for the stir

• June 7, 2009 10:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've currently slipped back into one of my periodic fan-boy obessions with Eric Powell's The Goon... Amongst others I'm a big fan of the old-school style art in Michael Kupperman's Tales Designed to Thrizzle:

I picked up the first part of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century the other day - not so bad, but I'm thinking that it's not really going to work as a complete and rounded peice untill all the chapters are in (making the yearly release dates pretty irritating...)
    • May 8, 2009 4:45 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YEEESH! Hahaa! Love the page, I have a Wolverton cover of Mad around, he is so super hilarious! ...Will post that later. All of those guys are great, great Comics artists, stretching their genres and blowing them up to the max. It's just a drag they where always put down by what they worked on. How about Caniff? That guy, like Kirby could move in a genre he helped craft and play in it. His work is really wonderful and alive. And Black and White of course. I love these more recent Artists: Sam Hiti, awesome! Toby Cypress, awesome too! Both using a base of old styles in their work and kicking it up into soemthing really fresh. And B/W, which I always welcome. movingV said:
      I like Toth, but I'm not as wild about him as I am about Basil Wolverton, Jim Steranko, Steve Ditko, Wally Wood...and Robt Wms, who I think is the maximum utmost.

IDON MINE said:
      Yep, part of the media witchhunt of that time. Blame comics for the society they portrait and cast away from bullshit politics that helped make them a fact.

Like artists didn't have it hard enough at that time, copeing with changing work standards! Always good to close a work option and then not opening up five new ones to fill the gap.

Oh I'm getting carried away!

Any other genre classics you read? How about Toth's HOT RODD and Car Comics?

movingV said:
      That was before some Senate committee investigating violent comics. Some asshat asked Wm C Gaines whether he thought the cover was in bad taste, and Gaines said it wou'd've been in bad taste if they'd shown the bottom of the head, dripping blood. Not the wisest reply...

One of the greatest and wildest cover ideas any comic ever had. The cencorship idiots almost jailed the publisher if I remember right...

Here for the stir

• May 8, 2009 3:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like Toth, but I'm not as wild about him as I am about Basil Wolverton, Jim Steranko, Steve Ditko, Wally Wood...and Robt Wms, who I think is the maximum utmost. IDON MINE said:
      Yep, part of the media witchhunt of that time. Blame comics for the society they portrait and cast away from bullshit politics that helped make them a fact.

Like artists didn't have it hard enough at that time, copeing with changing work standards! Always good to close a work option and then not opening up five new ones to fill the gap.

Oh I'm getting carried away!

Any other genre classics you read? How about Toth's HOT RODD and Car Comics?

movingV said:
      That was before some Senate committee investigating violent comics. Some asshat asked Wm C Gaines whether he thought the cover was in bad taste, and Gaines said it wou'd've been in bad taste if they'd shown the bottom of the head, dripping blood. Not the wisest reply...

One of the greatest and wildest cover ideas any comic ever had. The cencorship idiots almost jailed the publisher if I remember right...

• May 7, 2009 6:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yep, part of the media witchhunt of that time. Blame comics for the society they portrait and cast away from bullshit politics that helped make them a fact. Like artists didn't have it hard enough at that time, copeing with changing work standards! Always good to close a work option and then not opening up five new ones to fill the gap. Oh I'm getting carried away! Any other genre classics you read? How about Toth's HOT RODD and Car Comics? movingV said:

Here for the stir

• May 7, 2009 6:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• May 2, 2009 7:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

movingV said:
      Old School RULES

Here for the stir

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel