Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Hack Repairs and ghetto livin'

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 22, 2009 1:14 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Our washing machine broke today, as one of our housemates used his intense manstrengh to rip off the handle. So instead of calling a repair guy like any other rational human being, we removed the door entirely and ductaped it back on- so now all we have to do is take the door apart to get our clothes in and out. We saved £70 but have collectively lost our dignity.

What are your examples of super cheap hack repair jobs? What things do you own (that you havn't thrown out yet) that can only be described as ghetto?
    • January 23, 2009 6:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good 'ol Arkansas chrome! If you can't duct it, fuck it.
    • January 23, 2009 5:02 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

once, while my car was loaded with people and the trunk with amps, my exhaust pipe kept hitting the ground at every bump. at one particular bump, most of the exhaust system separated and began dragging on the ground. whilst on the side of the road, i cut the ends off of a 24oz beer can with my knife and slid it over the section that split. i held it in place with aluminum wire and zip ties. i wonder if that is an open container violation?
    • January 22, 2009 4:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Piling in my car late night early morning and I put the key in the ignition and gave the 'everyone in' command. Got what seemed like 'all ins' and proceeded to drive away from the curb. In the moment, I didn't realize the back passenger door was still open. The tree folded it like an accordian. They had to hold it inwards until we got where we needed to be and after some hammering and duct taping she was good as new. It stayed like that for a few years until the tranny went. Was sorry to let her go.
    • January 22, 2009 2:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Andrea Lambert can attest to this.
      and I do not know if this qualifies for a repair!
      in 2002 I was living in San Fran w/andrea and we were on the outs w/the landlord
      so when i took a bath one evening i didn't have a stopper to plug the drain so I grabbed
      a plug to a little vase or cookie jar. it was wooden and i thought it might work perfectly.
      well, it worked all right! but when it came time to drain said bathtub I couldn't get the wooden thing out!
      It turned out to fit flush and the water was keeping the plug in. i tried knives and cooking spoons - everything!
      We were laughing about it at first - cos it was a wonky situation.
      But Andrea's cute little apartment turned into calcutta overnight!
      We were afraid to contact the landlord - i think there was a fresh hole in the wall cos somebody threw a coffee saucer
      and it stuck into the wall like a shuriken star! Also, there were little baggies of misc drugs around and we were getting
      sex noise complaints and Andrea would stomp around really loud.
      So, we kept our problem to ourselves and that entailed trying some new way to remove that blasted plug everyday.
      I tried a nail and a hammer and then try to pry it up. I think that's how I finally got it out.
      But, whenever we had to take a shower I would take a pail and manually empty out the tub.
      it was beyond ridiculous. There were gnats that were attracted to the water and everything started getting steamy
      like a jungle. That was awful and caused a lot of arguments... Hilarious now tho.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel