Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Best garage fests?!?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 11, 2013 5:37 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

yup! :)

Gringo Starr said:

Is the pub called Devils Den?

• February 11, 2013 5:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Is the pub called Devils Den?

Fabio said:

not at all! :D

come to think about it, there's even a pub, in salso, where they play great punk rock records all day (screeching weasel, riverdales...). that pretty much blew my mind when i first went there. but the "festival beat", no one ever told me about that! damn metalhead friends!

• February 11, 2013 5:00 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

not at all! :D

come to think about it, there's even a pub, in salso, where they play great punk rock records all day (screeching weasel, riverdales...). that pretty much blew my mind when i first went there. but the "festival beat", no one ever told me about that! damn metalhead friends!

• February 11, 2013 4:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Maybe you were too busy studying? ;-)

Fabio said:

i studied in parma for five years, and didn't even know about the "festival beat" in salso. how is that possible?!

• February 11, 2013 4:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i studied in parma for five years, and didn't even know about the "festival beat" in salso. how is that possible?!

• February 11, 2013 4:11 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The program for Cosmic Trip was just announced:

• January 15, 2013 2:20 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hopefully Purple Weekend falls Early December again or Late November. I'd love to visit Spain. I've been to London, it's cool and all, but I'd like to see something new if I'm dropping a grand+ on plane tickets. Léon sounds like the jam, and turns out mi tio en España ain't too far off, Santiago de Compostela on the NW coast. Looks like I just need to wait til 2013 Purple Weekend info comes out.

Also, I'd love to see something rad going on in Cascadia. The DIY/houseshow scene is bangin, but it'd be awesome to see a bigger event right on my doorstep.

Gringo Starr said:

Well, it depends on who's playing as well. Beat Bespoke is coming soon. March 28-31. Frowning Clouds and the Strypes are playing. The other bands don't really tickle my fancy (Corner Shop??). Purple Weekend is in November or December. I'm more partial to Spain anyway (seeing that I'm not welcome in Britain without a huge hassle). Let me know if you go to León I might be there this year.

Shtbird said:

Only festivals I can possibly go to this year are Le Beat Bespoke or Purple Weekend. Too busy to be able to take time off April-November, when the majority of festies happen. Still, I'm gunna try my best to make Ponderosa Stomp.
      Any recommendations on which of the two to go to? Don't really want to dish out the cash to fly to Europe two times, but I'm lucky enough to to have family to stay with/reason to visit in Spain/Switzerland. Figure if I try for Le Beat, I can buy a cheap ticket to London (I hear March + April are cheapest to fly to Europe). On the flip side, I'm already pretty fluent in Spanish, y me voy a encantar un otra ves para practicar/otra lugar para conocer.

And who knows? Maybe I can scrounge the dough for both.

• January 15, 2013 12:46 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There should have been a big festival in Seattle for the 50TH Anniversary of " Louie , Louie" , but .....did'nt happen.

• January 14, 2013 9:37 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The time is ripe for someone to organize some kind of garage/rock 'n' roll festival in the Seattle/Tacoma area. It's been more than a decade since the last Garage Stomp. And hey, weed is legal in Washington now! 

• January 14, 2013 5:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well, it depends on who's playing as well. Beat Bespoke is coming soon. March 28-31. Frowning Clouds and the Strypes are playing. The other bands don't really tickle my fancy (Corner Shop??). Purple Weekend is in November or December. I'm more partial to Spain anyway (seeing that I'm not welcome in Britain without a huge hassle). Let me know if you go to León I might be there this year.

Shtbird said:

Only festivals I can possibly go to this year are Le Beat Bespoke or Purple Weekend. Too busy to be able to take time off April-November, when the majority of festies happen. Still, I'm gunna try my best to make Ponderosa Stomp.
      Any recommendations on which of the two to go to? Don't really want to dish out the cash to fly to Europe two times, but I'm lucky enough to to have family to stay with/reason to visit in Spain/Switzerland. Figure if I try for Le Beat, I can buy a cheap ticket to London (I hear March + April are cheapest to fly to Europe). On the flip side, I'm already pretty fluent in Spanish, y me voy a encantar un otra ves para practicar/otra lugar para conocer.

• January 13, 2013 9:28 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 12, 2013 4:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well , what American bands that don't play in America are you having over?

• January 11, 2013 2:37 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Only at Harristock JB. What happens at Harristock stays at Harristock!

John Battles said:

You're a bad man , Mr. Harrison.

Mark George Harrison said:

The one in my living room every weekend when the missus is out and the kids are in bed!

Now send me some stuff please!!;)

• January 10, 2013 4:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well, I've played at about half of them. It looks like The Jackets are going to Cosmic Trip this year as well (shhh, it's not confirmed yet). Stay tuned. Yes, distances between countries here are a lot easier to navigate then in The States but Montreal requires a boat or a jet. I only recall one year of the Fuzz Fest. Any info about the next one? 

John Battles said:

Gringo , I was'nt sure if you had attended that one or not , but seeing the way you get around , I did'nt rule it out.....But , I know , for you , it's like me travelling to Minnesota  or Pennsylvania to get to all these festivals you mentioned.....you'd still have to travel hundreds of miles , on top of that , here , to find a decent festival.

Gringo Starr said:

Thanks for nicely topping off the list for me John! How could I forget those two?! Fuzz Fest isn't in Europe so I'm gonna leave it off my list. 

EUROPE:

Purple Weekend - Spain 

Le Beat Bespoke - London, U.K.

Cosmic Trip Festival - France

Soundflat Records Ballroom Bash - Germany

Gutter Island Garage Festival - Denmark 

Hipsville - U.K. 

Funtastic Dracula - Spain

Go Sinner Go!! - Spain 

Festival Beat - Italy

John Battles said:

What about Le Beat Bespoke , Purple Weekend or Fuzz Fest (Montreal)?

Gringo Starr said:

Europe:

Gutter Island Garage Festival - Denmark (every two years)

Hipsville - U.K. (this is brand new in 2013)

Go Sinner Go!! - Spain (I think they stopped doing this one. It's been a year or two)

Festival Beat - Italy

• January 10, 2013 3:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Gringo , I was'nt sure if you had attended that one or not , but seeing the way you get around , I did'nt rule it out.....But , I know , for you , it's like me travelling to Minnesota  or Pennsylvania to get to all these festivals you mentioned.....you'd still have to travel hundreds of miles , on top of that , here , to find a decent festival.

Gringo Starr said:

Thanks for nicely topping off the list for me John! How could I forget those two?! Fuzz Fest isn't in Europe so I'm gonna leave it off my list. 

EUROPE:

Purple Weekend - Spain 

Hipsville - U.K. 

Go Sinner Go!! - Spain 

Festival Beat - Italy

John Battles said:

Gringo Starr said:

Europe:

Go Sinner Go!! - Spain (I think they stopped doing this one. It's been a year or two)

Festival Beat - Italy

• January 10, 2013 3:34 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're a bad man , Mr. Harrison.

Mark George Harrison said:

The one in my living room every weekend when the missus is out and the kids are in bed!

• January 9, 2013 2:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Also - can someone send a link with info for the Montreal Fuzz Fest? I am looking for some but I can't seem to get anything.

• January 9, 2013 2:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 9, 2013 2:23 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

EUROPE:

Purple Weekend - Spain 

Hipsville - U.K. 

Go Sinner Go!! - Spain 

Festival Beat - Italy

John Battles said:

Gringo Starr said:

Europe:

Festival Beat - Italy

• January 8, 2013 7:17 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Gringo Starr said:

Europe:

Festival Beat - Italy

• January 8, 2013 4:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Don't forget Barreiro Rocks in Portugal.

Ty Segall first show in Europe was in that festival, but lots of great bands already play here like Billy Childish, King Khan, Black Lips, Los Chicos, Pierced Arrows, Jack Oblivian, and lots more...

• January 8, 2013 4:00 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Europe:

Festival Beat - Italy

• January 8, 2013 2:00 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes , I passed on Randall's Island to go to The Rockaround , tho' R.I. arguably had a vastly superior bill.....The reason it was held outdoors in what was probably much too large a venue , and not super - accessible ,  I heard , was  that Steven was offered the use of the facility , because Snorrissey's big festival tour of the East Coast had been cancelled , and all the equipment for that had already been set up.....

MikeL said:

The only festival I ever went to was the one that Little Steven put together on Randall's Island. I had a great time, in spite of the weather and the technical difficulties.

Quite honestly, I'm not a big fan of festivals, mainly because you're totally at the mercy of the weather.

• January 8, 2013 1:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i SHOULD ADD: Ponderosa Stomp is'nt strictly a Garage FEST IT'S AN EVERYTHING FEST. I've seen The Remains , Kenny and The Kasuals , ? and The Mysterians , Wailers , Trashmen , Thee Midniters, Roky Erickson , Alarm Clocks , Zakary Thaks , ROY HEAD DOING A GARAGE SET WITH DEKE DICKERSON , and a too slick set by The Bad Roads and a too terrible set by Green Fuz.....Blues , Rockabilly , Soul , Instros , Country ,Gospel , R'n'B.......

One good fest I saw was The Rockaround in Vegas in '03. LOTS of dead weight , but , also , the monks , Downliners Sect , Sky Saxon and The Seeds, Loons , Barrence Whitfield , DEKE DICKERSON'S Frat Rock Band, Fortune and Maltese , Orangutones ,  A-Bones , Roy Loney , Rudy Ray Moore , Kim Fowley , and the last - ever performance by Hasil Adkins. I'd seen him better , and I'd seen him not as good. It was encouraging that so many Rockabilly people came to see him , and even Rockin' Ronnie Weiser , who asked the musical question , "John, is Hasil always this inconsistent?". "No , Ronnie , he's usually MORE nconsistent."......
      John Battles said:

PONDEROSA  STOMP.

• January 8, 2013 1:42 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

COSMIC TRIP FESTIVAL in BOURGES, FRANCE

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel