Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Favorite Modern Surf Acts?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 6, 2010 10:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The one that was actually on the radio? Art of Noize featuring Duane Eddy. Attrocious. ratoonie said:
      thanx for the reply....yea it was pretty sci-fi*.....who did that weird version of Peter Gunn??

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      Sorry about your album getting ripped off. That just happened to me recently.

Anyway...yeah, the Raybeats. I have a copy of Guitar Beat from 1981. I bought it because the store owner put a description on the wrapper saying "a Ventures for the 80s". One of the guys from Los Straightjackets was in it, but he wrote the only good song on it, "Calhoun Surf", everything else was trying to sound 80s meets sci-fi or something....The jacket looked cool. A lot of surf bands between 1980-1986 were pretty bad I thought except Jon and the NIghtriders. Remember the Halibuts? ugh.

ratoonie said:
      Does anyone remember the Raybeats???? my album got ripped off.........back in 1984...... it may have been an Import... it was Dark blue...
    • July 6, 2010 5:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

thanx for the reply....yea it was pretty sci-fi*.....who did that weird version of Peter Gunn?? Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      Sorry about your album getting ripped off. That just happened to me recently.

Anyway...yeah, the Raybeats. I have a copy of Guitar Beat from 1981. I bought it because the store owner put a description on the wrapper saying "a Ventures for the 80s". One of the guys from Los Straightjackets was in it, but he wrote the only good song on it, "Calhoun Surf", everything else was trying to sound 80s meets sci-fi or something....The jacket looked cool. A lot of surf bands between 1980-1986 were pretty bad I thought except Jon and the NIghtriders. Remember the Halibuts? ugh.

ratoonie said:
      Does anyone remember the Raybeats???? my album got ripped off.........back in 1984...... it may have been an Import... it was Dark blue...
    • July 6, 2010 4:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sorry about your album getting ripped off. That just happened to me recently. Anyway...yeah, the Raybeats. I have a copy of Guitar Beat from 1981. I bought it because the store owner put a description on the wrapper saying "a Ventures for the 80s". One of the guys from Los Straightjackets was in it, but he wrote the only good song on it, "Calhoun Surf", everything else was trying to sound 80s meets sci-fi or something....The jacket looked cool. A lot of surf bands between 1980-1986 were pretty bad I thought except Jon and the NIghtriders. Remember the Halibuts? ugh. ratoonie said:
    • July 6, 2010 12:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• June 17, 2010 12:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If y'all is surf fans wod about TAPEMAN / The TAPEMEN / GHOST of TAPEMAN from New Zealand.

Been releasing stuff on Stink Magnetic and Kato records for almost 10 years I guess. Really wild stuff! My fave for sure.
    • June 16, 2010 3:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I mentioned the Bomboras, but I forgot about the Finks, Possibly because I know little about them and never saw them. Who are the Astonauts? Sir Finksalott said:
      Surf music is great, but it can get a little boring live. So acts that have great stage presence/shows are tops for me. And they've all been mentioned. Except The Finks, Bomboras, Astronauts (Germany), The Penetrators, The LSDees. The Astonauts (Colorado), are one of my favs. They have the ultimate "wet" sound. The Fabulous Mach Kung Fu, Jackie & The Cedrics...boy...I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. Oh well. ((((((reverb crash)))))))
    • June 16, 2010 9:47 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Surf music is great, but it can get a little boring live. So acts that have great stage presence/shows are tops for me. And they've all been mentioned. Except The Finks, Bomboras, Astronauts (Germany), The Penetrators, The LSDees. The Astonauts (Colorado), are one of my favs. They have the ultimate "wet" sound. The Fabulous Mach Kung Fu, Jackie & The Cedrics...boy...I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. Oh well. ((((((reverb crash)))))))
    • June 16, 2010 8:18 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

have'nt read all the posts so these have probably been mentioned before. Man or Astroman, huevos Rancheros, Laika and the Cosmonauts and Los Straitjackets really rub my board. Loverly!!!
    • June 13, 2010 8:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

these guys aren't exactly NEW but it's year 2000+....

The Treble Spankers

i recently found out about them and freakin love 'em, great instrumentals
    • June 9, 2010 4:33 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ah, and then I like Tremolo Beer Gut, and there's another band from around where I live called The Kilaueas, I think they're surf, too, but I only saw them once on a festival, so I'm not that sure. It was a cool gig though.

www.cyco-sanchez.de

• June 8, 2010 8:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There's a really cool band from Southern Germany called Leopold Kraus Wellenkappelle. They're definitely worth checking out: http://www.leopold-kraus-wellenkapelle.de. Finest Surf music from the Black Forest!

www.cyco-sanchez.de

• February 4, 2010 5:57 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Phantom surfers,Slacktone (once i saw them in Genova IT,but I was late,just in time for the last song!!).
      And I like The Vulcanos but I don't know if it's a new or old band.Impala and Untamed Youth are not bad.
    • February 4, 2010 3:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'd have to go with the same bands above (Phantom Surfers, Satan's Pilgrims, The Apemen(yeah,they are from the Netherlands)) plus the Bomboras , the Ghastley Ones, Los Straitjackets, and (I'm surprised nobody's mentioned them) Jackie and the Cedrics. Embarrassing to say this but I'm really not up on who's really current.
    • December 31, 2009 5:54 PM CST
    • Untitled

The Apemen from the Netherlands (i think), Satan's Pilgrims, Phantom Surfers and The Mummies did some pretty cool instro-thrash.
    • May 24, 2009 9:26 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

William said:
      Definitely the Bambi Molesters, tho I'm not sure if they are still a band!?!
      I happened to find their video clips which were taken the day before yesterday!
    • March 12, 2009 3:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'd list the Barbwires! Awesome melodies and skilled players. Hell I still play their previous record a lot eventhough it has now competition from the new one out; not many albums can say they spend so much time on the table.
      Other current faves: '63 Burnout, Metalunas, some Los Banditos, Messerchups (really like the vids!) and a few more I can't remember the name of right now.
    • February 16, 2009 5:21 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THE CAVALIERS from France.
      They're THE best, and really handsome, and really mad, and mean and really cute!!
    • January 18, 2009 3:36 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Concussions - their Magic Fingers CD on Double Crown is a must have. There's 4 or 5 tracks off it on their myspace.
    • December 28, 2008 3:01 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Definitely the Bambi Molesters, tho I'm not sure if they are still a band!?!
    • December 18, 2008 4:07 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Howie Pyro said:
      phantom surfers for sure killer records with perfect covers & concepts as well...
      Plus genius comedic minds... I love The Phantom Surfers! It doesn't get any better than Mike Lucas.
    • December 18, 2008 3:39 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

phantom surfers for sure killer records with perfect covers & concepts as well...
    • October 27, 2008 2:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

From Japan, the Surf Coasters (guitarist can do Dick Dale like nobody's business) and the Whys (love the grass skirts).
      From South of the Border, Sr. Bikini and Los Elaticos. (Side note: What's with South American Surf bands and Luchadore masks? Is there a reason? Am I missing a cultural connection?)
      From the US: the Sir Finks, Satan's Pilgrims and the Volcanos.

Special plug to my hometown faves the Diamondheads and the Atomic Mosquitos!!!

AND, while they are NOT a surf guitar band, Southern Culture on the Skids always includes an original instrumental number on albums and shows that never fails to please.
    • August 21, 2013 2:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

GORCIAS said:

I'm really into Thee Cormans these days and recently discovered a band called Sandy Pussy that did the soundtrack for the movie Zombies VS Strippers. Or was it Strippers VS Zombies? I'd love to find more surf bands like these that really utilize distortion, fuzz, evil, and a shit ton of reverb.

You should check out Beware! Dangers of a Ghost Scorpion from Boston - awesome surf that keeps it nice and evil.

Also, Thee Icepicks from Portland are great and they use some fuzz and cool-ass theremin in their sound!

• October 21, 2013 1:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I dig the Exotics from Milwaukee--they are great.  YINYWL from Sweden are cool too.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel