Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: The Kinks To Reform?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 8, 2008 4:54 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Kinks may reform their original line-up this year to tie in with a new box-set, retrospective.

Ray Davies said that his guitarist brother Dave and bassist Pete Quaife are recovering from health worries.

Ray Davies told Record Collector magazine: "It'd be great to get back together just to see what musical ideas would happen."

Any thoughts on this? Personally I'd love to see the band reform. The Kinks were the first band I ever saw live way back in 1984 at Middlesbrough Town Hall when I was just 13 years old. After the gig me & my mate also got to talk to Ray Davies as he was at the top of the stairs on the outside of the Town Hall having a cigarette. We spoke to him for a few minutes, he was asking what we thought of our first gig and how we got into the music of The Kinks and stuff like that. We asked him to sign our Kinks ticket stubbs but neither my mate or I or Ray Davies had a pen. But Ray said he would nip back inside and grab a pen once he'd finished his cigarette.

Sure enough he did pop back inside, but while he was gone my mates mum turned up in car car to pick us up. She was parked on double yellow lines and wouldn't wait a few minutes despite my mate & I telling her we were waiting for Ray Davies to return. Under protest we got into the car and as we were going round the corner we saw Ray appear at the top of the stairs with a pen in hand. He looked around before popping back inside the venue and we never did get his autograph :-(

Still, got the ticket stubb somewhere and always hoped to bump into him again sometime to get it signed.
    • January 24, 2008 8:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh wow, thanks for posting this photo, amazing how the two girls look like their respective dads !!!

So Ray could even be a grand-father by now, for all we know ?!? Boggles the mind !
    • January 24, 2008 3:17 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I love the Kinks and never got to see them live, so I wouldn't miss the chance if they're back !

I was wondering the other day, how old is that kid Ray got with Chrissie Hynde ? Old enough to be in a band ?
    • January 8, 2008 9:45 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, here's the article about it. http://www.mirror.co.uk/showbiz/2007/12/26/kinks-set-to-reform-89520-20265546/ Kinks set to reform By Mark Jefferies 26/12/2007 Sixties stars The Kinks are on the verge of reforming with their original line-up. Lead singer and guitarist Ray Davies, 63, says a full reunion is on the cards next year for the first time in almost 40 years. The band, whose hits include You Really Got Me and Waterloo Sunset, consisted of Ray, brother Dave on guitar, Mick Avory on drums and Pete Quaife on bass. But Pete left in 1969 and they then continued with changing line-ups until 1996. Advertisement Dave had a stroke in 2004 and Pete has kidney problems - but Ray says both are keen to get back together. He said: "I spoke to Quaife about a month ago and he dearly wants to make another record with me. "I think Dave's getting better and Mick's still playing. It would be great to get back together just to see what musical ideas we had and what would happen." Ray, now a solo artist, told Record Collector he missed being part of a band. He added: "You miss the interactive stuff. You get it to a degree with other musicians but probably not with the same passion." Any reunion is likely to coincide with next year's release of a Kinks CD box set called Retrospective.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel