Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Most Hated Bands

Back To Topics
    (1 rate)
    • August 11, 2013 11:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here's a great conversation starter! Try it at your next party!

First, read this:

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/10/15_most_hated_bands_of_last_30_years/

As a friend of mine said, unfortunately, the Eagles are too old/early to be on this list.

But I will gladly add U2 and NOFX. Oh, and Green Day. Thank you. Thank you very much.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• August 12, 2013 12:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm not crazy about Green Day, but they have a sentimental place in my heart because that's the first concert I took my son to that he actually wanted to see. i have a picture of us right after the show and the look on his face was priceless. (That was about 10 years ago. His tastes have improved.)

Just curious about NOFX. I barely remember them, but they seemed to be part of a whole slew of rather bland, generic mid-90s punk acts. Were they that much worse than Pennywise?

As for me, I hate Josie & The Pussycats. They just ripped off The Archies. You didn't hear Wislon Pickett covering any Josie songs.

• August 12, 2013 12:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, Pennywise sucks, too. In fact, they're probably worse cuz they just ripped off NOFX.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• August 12, 2013 1:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh man, there is too many bands I could add to that list:

Oasis

U2

Coldplay

Good Charlotte

Kings of Leon

30 Seconds to Mars

Greenday

Bush

Pearl Jam

Off the tip of my brain.  If we did a 50 most hated bands we'd still have a problem trimming things down to the magic number.

• August 12, 2013 2:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have a hard time saying I hate any band at this point. I just feel a lot of indifference...but I feel that for 95% of most music anyways. To say "I dislike Coldplay" or "i dislike Nickelback" just feels like a waste of a breath.

In high school though, I REALLY hated At The Drive In, Choke, Propaghandi, and most of what my friends referred to as "technical new school punk".  I never got stuff like Pennywise, Nofx, and all that skate punk stuff.

Oh, and in terms of "bands I really want to like, but just don't"...TURBONEGRO. I feel like I should love them, but I just find them really boring.

Regarding Green Day...I completely understand someone disliking the fans/bands they spawned, and I understand being irritated by the band members themselves...especially in the mid 90's.

But if someone likes the Undertones, Buzzcocks, Pointed Sticks, Ramones, Etc.....I find it strange that they wouldn't be able to find something to enjoy from one of Green Days first four albums. 

• August 13, 2013 5:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thats a good article, I have to disagree with the inclusion of the Sex Pistols in that list though!

• August 13, 2013 5:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

kopper said:

Yeah, Pennywise sucks, too. In fact, they're probably worse cuz they just ripped off NOFX.

Yeah, I've never understood all that Warped Tour "punk," maybe because I've never been a teenage boy.

This post was edited by Alison at August 13, 2013 5:17 PM CDT
    • August 13, 2013 6:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i guess i feel blessed since i almost never heard anything of all those bands...
      but yeah, i can´t stand U2 as well.  (are the Sex Pistols actually mentioned there? - I loved them)

This post was edited by Tersicore at August 13, 2013 6:21 PM CDT
    • August 13, 2013 7:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I sure don't agree with all those choices -- Sex Pistols especially. I also have to confess that I've also enjoyed TV on the Radio and Animal Collective.

And The Eagles are some of the greatest musicians in modern history.

( Not really. I just wanted to see if Kopper spit beer on his computer screen. Eagles should be on top of the Suck List)
    • August 13, 2013 9:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

thats what I love about a good best/worst list, there is always something to debate. 

They have a 20 worst hipster bands there too: http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/08/worst_hipster_bands_all_time_c.php

Which was decent despite the inclusion of the Black Keys which I have a soft spot for :)

• August 19, 2013 7:17 PM CDT
    • Untitled

swt said:

As for me, I hate Josie & The Pussycats. They just ripped off The Archies. You didn't hear Wislon Pickett covering any Josie songs.

I love Josie & The Pussycats! The 2001 movie, that is. The music is fabulous, Kay Hanley of Letters To Cleo on lead vocals. The movie is trash-tastic, and deeper than you'd think, a satire on modern materialism. 'tube the trailer. 

• August 28, 2013 4:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

The ones I love to hate? Let's see, just to get started:

Coldplay

Backstreet Boys

S Club 7

Take That

Westlife

Spice Girls

Snow Patrol

Radiohead

Babydoll (a band I saw who were utterly dire)

Most hair metal

East 17

Scouting For Girls

I could name more, but I'll have to think about it.

• December 2, 2013 12:48 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

swt was referring to the original Josie and The Pussycats , whose extremely rare LP came out in 70 or 71.......Peronally , I love that stuff. It's a lot more Soul - oriented than The Archies . The Banana Splits were , too.....But , I think Pickett INTERPRETED "Sugar , Sugar" , made it his own. I love The ARCHIES , TOO , BUT, EVEN THO' THE Pussycats album (Feat. a young Cheryl Ladd) is , at times , spotty, there's some good rockin' toons - Esp. Watch Out (For The Roadrunner.)" AND "i'M gONNA dO sOME vOODOO ON yOU"........But , it's not for every Bubblegum fan ,agreed.

(Some of) my least fave bands , hmmmmmmm......

STICKMEN WITH RAYGUNS.   I know , if you did'nt live in Dallas , you probably love 'em. They had a home field advantage , because I saw them open so many gigs....The last time I saw them , tho' , they were all right.

MAKERS .

SMASHING PUMPKINS ( I ACCIDENTALLY SAW THEM FOR $3 IN 1988. I STILL WANT MY $3 BACK.).

MINISTRY.

BLACK LIPS.

GRATEFUL DEAD (BARRING MAYBE SOME 66 - 7 STUFF. I STILL WOULD'NT BUY IT.).

BLACK FLAG (HENRY - ERA , SPECIFICALLY. I LIKE SOME EARLIER STUFF.).

MOST BLACK METAL. CAN'T READ THE LOGOS.

LED ZEPPELIN. (STRING ME UP AND DRESS ME LIKE A DEER , BUT , I WENT THRU ALL THAT , LIKED A SONG HERE AND A SONG THERE , BUT NEVER BOUGHT THE PARTY LINE. NOW , I REALLY DON'T GET IT. GIVE ME PAGE WITH THE YARDBIRDS , '68 , INSTEAD.).

THE CARS

AC/DC  .    (AGAIN , I'VE  ALREADY HAD MY BALLS BUSTED , IN PRINT , JUST BECAUSE I'M A WHITE MALE , BORN IN THE 60'S , WHO NEVER WORSHIPPED  AC/DC.  WHEN THEY BROKE IN LATE 79 - 80 , IN THE U.S. , THEY WERE THE BAND JOCKS AND STONERS AGREED ON , AND I WANTED NO PART OF EITHER SCENE , SINCE I GOT INTO PUNK  ( I WAS FRIENDLY WITH THE STONERS , FOR THE MOST PART , THO'.) . A COUPLE OF SONGS I DON'T MIND , BUT , GIVE ME ROSE TATTOO , ANY DAY.

KISS .    ( YES , THEY WERE ALMOST PARALELL TO THE BEATLES IN MY UNIVERSE AT ONE TIME. I GOT OVER IT. I KNOW IT'S NO LONGER UNCOOL

TO LIKE KISS IF YOU'RE 14 OR OVER , BUT , LISTEN TO "KISS ALIVE II" , THEN SEE IF YOU AGREE WITH CRITICS WHO SAID THE DOLLS WERE'NT MUSICALLY PROFICIENT !).

HI FI AND THE ROADBURNERS - THE LATE ERIK KISH (AKA HI FI .) AND I BECAME FRIENDLY IN LATER YEARS , WHEN HE MOVED DOWN THE STREET. HE KNEW I DID'NT LIKE THE BAND , AND HE WAS COOL WITH IT.

JIM JONES REVUE - DON'T GET ME WRONG , I THINK THEY'RE A KILLER ROCK'N'ROLL GROUP , BUT, EVERYTHING'S IN THE RED. AND THEN SOME . IT'S PAINFUL. IF I WERE 21 , I GUESS I COULD LISTEN TO IT.

SMITHS/MORRISSEY SOLO.

THE CURE

RAP/HIP HOP IN GENERAL. DID'NT SEEM SO BAD AROUND '82 - '84 , SOME OF IT , BECAUSE IT WAS NEW. IT AIN'T NEW ANYMORE.

NIRVANA - IT'S NOT THAT I THINK THEY'RE THE WORST , JUST THAT I FIND THEM ANNOYING , ALONG WITH THE ENDLESS BANDS COPPING THEIR VOCAL AND GUITAR SOUND , THAT FORMED IN THEIR WAKE.

• January 26, 2014 6:29 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Disagree with a few here. Green Day, as long as we're talking everything up to Nimrod - all went quickly downhill from there in a big stadium-sized shit bowl! Think the first few records were great punk-pop. Gotta say though that they'll always hold a special place as they were my first concert - Dookie tour when I was 13. Black Lips as well I think are greatand Nirvana, well can't hold their Shitleback-spawning legacy against them!

Shit bands are easy to list. Recently Coldplay and every other bedwetting band that came along on their coat-tails. They really wanna be U2, and have comptition from the Kings Of Leon, who I thought could've done something great, but when the stadiums and cash beckons they showed their true colours. 

Anything decidely emo or rock-rap = sheiiiiiiite!!!

But, as Offspring once said (on their last decent album)...

• January 26, 2014 10:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I LIKE THAT. "BED WETTING BANDS". THAT'S HOW I'VE FELT ABUT PUNK POP/VAN'S WARPED TOUR BANDS......BUT. while I was once a teenage boy , myself , in my teens , Punk might have been dead , might have been , but it was so recent , they were still paying off the burial expenses and headstone fees.   In about '97 , I was at a party of mostly underage drinkers. Oh , yes , I blew the whistle on 'em -" help. police. help". But they were playing all this terrible whiney , wet mypants PUNK POP GARBAGE. Sure , maybe I was just too old to get it , but , I had to think , these kids have access to all these great reissues of original 70'S pUNK stuff that I DID'NT HAVE. It WAS SIMPLY CALLED "oUT OF PRINT" , MUCH OF IT , BY THE EARLY TO MID 80's.

Plus , I thought , Punk Pop . or Pop Punk(As we used to call it.) , The Dickies could eat these bands for breakfast (And find a cool prize at the bottom of the box.), too say nothing of The Vibrators , Rezillos , Buzzcocks , Boys , Lurkers , etc.      Just then , a Dickies song came on , proving my point. To myself , anyway.

• January 27, 2014 12:09 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Why is pop punk so whinging? What would happen if you played something like The Sonics or "Sliced Tomatoes" by The Just Brothers?

• January 27, 2014 3:10 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I DON'T KNOW WHY IT'S SO WHINGING , OR WHINEY AS WE YANKS SAY (I LIKE WHINGING AND WHINGEY , THO' ).

I guess they figure younger people will relate to that...   It does'nt even sound like teen angst .   "Smells like  Pre - Teen NAPPY !"

On the good news front , guess what? I found teh Viz second "Big Pink Hard ONE" book a few days ago! I could'nt believe it ! I have the first book , that's how I got absorbed The Viz Vacuum , some 25 years ago.   God ! They're so primitive. There's only a half page , each , on Sid The Sexist and Biffa Bacon.       We're getting Viz again , here in Chicago. When Tower Records closed , no one carried it for years. But ,  I generally only buy it if there's a Sid , a Roger NELLIE AND/OR BIFFA BACON. Still love Modern Parents and Fat Slags.....BUT , I saw the new issue the same day I found that book from 1989.....The differnce was like .......well , it was like Pete Shelley , Knox , Leonard Grave Phillips , Eugene Reynolds and other people who can carry a tune , and this WHINGING Pop- pUNK.   NO , THAT'S NOT FAIR. THE NEW VIZ IS FINE , JUST A LOT MORE SLICK.                 

• January 27, 2014 3:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Most bands mentioned are so far off my radar that I have no trouble ignoring them. I guess if I was forced to listen to Pennywise or NOFX...etc I would hate them. However, playing in bands and going to shows frequently, I tend to aim my haterd towards bands I am forced to sit through in order to see the band I came to see (not always, but frequently). Unfortunately these are usually local bands. There are definitely good local bands here, but also a lot of hipster Scion/ Vice/ Watered-down punk/ garage bands that really annoy me. I used to smoke cigarettes and always went outside to smoke durring these obtrusive bands, but since I no longer smoke it has become more of a bring-down on my nights out. I don't intend to out local bands that I hate, I'm sure they hate my bands too, but my point is, the other stuff I find easy to ignore, the stuff I am forced to hear is what I really hate. 

I like over half the bands John hates. Not huge on Stickmen, but the Bobby Soxx with Learn To Hate/ Scavenger of Death single kills, I like all Black Flag up to My War and then even a lot of stuff after, but the albums got less interesting, KISS - I like the first 6 albums, Black Metal is too borad, but I like a lot of Black Metal bands... anyway, to each their own. 

I guess U2 is a band I activly hate hate. Can't escape Bono. 

• January 28, 2014 2:12 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Matt said:

Most bands mentioned are so far off my radar that I have no trouble ignoring them. I guess if I was forced to listen to Pennywise or NOFX...etc I would hate them. However, playing in bands and going to shows frequently, I tend to aim my haterd towards bands I am forced to sit through in order to see the band I came to see (not always, but frequently). Unfortunately these are usually local bands. There are definitely good local bands here, but also a lot of hipster Scion/ Vice/ Watered-down punk/ garage bands that really annoy me. I used to smoke cigarettes and always went outside to smoke durring these obtrusive bands, but since I no longer smoke it has become more of a bring-down on my nights out. I don't intend to out local bands that I hate, I'm sure they hate my bands too, but my point is, the other stuff I find easy to ignore, the stuff I am forced to hear is what I really hate. 

I like over half the bands John hates. Not huge on Stickmen, but the Bobby Soxx with Learn To Hate/ Scavenger of Death single kills, I like all Black Flag up to My War and then even a lot of stuff after, but the albums got less interesting, KISS - I like the first 6 albums, Black Metal is too borad, but I like a lot of Black Metal bands... anyway, to each their own. 

I guess U2 is a band I activly hate hate. Can't escape Bono. 

Vice? That was the inspiration for Sugar Ape in "Nathan Barley". Anyway, most of the more Nathan Barley bands kind of get on my nerves sometimes, but there are good ones too. Fuck Buttons are quite Nathan Barley, the name just reeks of it.

• January 28, 2014 5:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Chris (?) - Nathan Barley? Book ? TV SHOW ? Neither ? Is it some extension of Steam Punk , only more Dickensian. I remember , if I'm not mistaken , Lee "Scratch " Perry had an LP called "Super Ape".....No connection , I guess. I know what you mean , you don't want to knock your local bands , if they're cool people.

MATT - Scion or Vice I don't know about , either.      EXCEPT VICE MAGAZINE/RECORDS. Sounds like it's just as well..... It's almost too easy to take shots at Punk - Pop or Epitaph , excluding the Cramps and Wayne Kramer,......But , I'm not being innundated with it like I was in the 90's. A lot of things are under my radar , now , too.

Well , most people agree "Hate in The 80's" and "Scavenger of Death"were the best things Bobby Soxx did , but that was earlier. Bobby played out , early on, with the Dirkx Bros.( aka The Telefones , Dallas , and possibly Texas' , most popular Power Pop band . But , it seems they did'nt appear on that recent "Radio Ready" comp.) , who backed him on that 45 , as The Nazis From Hell  (Such originality).....then revamping his group as The Teenage Queers (More originality - But it was a contest to come up with the most outrageous names - V.D.Generats , Sharon Tate's Baby , Vomit Pigs , Smegma ,etc.)   , which , as I recall , was the formative Stickmen With Rayguns (Actually , a great name , but, live , I found 'em horrendous. Some agree , some don't.

Some people , if I tell 'em I lived in Dallas in the 80's , go "Stickmen ! Bobby Soxx !", as if The Nervebreakers never happened .

I was a big Kiss fan in Jr. High. They were the first Rock concert I attended , with Bob Seger and Artful Doger opening . But , unlike , say  , Alice Cooper , when I walked away from Kiss , Aerosmith and solo Ted Nugent , I really never went back.   Even tho' I DON'T MIND AEROSMITH IN MODERATION , NOW , And some solo Nugent , with Derek St. Holmes on vocals,  they had some good toons. Just don't need to buy it.

Black Flag - I've only ever owned "Jealous Again" and the "Decline " tracks. Pre - Henry , I could take....I ONLY REALLY LIKED "T.V. PARTY" FROM "DAMAGED" , AND ONLY A SMATTERING OF LATER STUFF. I AGREE , THEY BECAME  LESS INTERESTING. But , I was never much of a fan , to start with. Some of the bands I mentioned , for example , The Cars , they don't bother me as much , because I don't have to hear them almost daily , like in High School and early College.   They were one of those bands , like AC/DC , I TRIED to get into , but , just could'nt......

I know I cited examples off the top of my head that are still well liked in many circles. But , as you say , each to his own.

There are so many other bands I really loathe , if I thought about it, and you might just agree.

God knows how we agree on BONE - O and U- Douche.....But , I admit , I liked their first album at the time , and parts of the second and third albums. This was still before they were a HUGE arena band.   Bono accused Flock of Seagulls' Guitarist of ripping off and commercializing The Edge's sound. IN REALITY , though , it seems The Edge did the same with Keith Levene's Guitar sound....

THANKS FOR THE INPUT .

• January 29, 2014 6:15 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Nathan Barley is a character created by Charlie Brooker and is a loathe some media type who has no morals or ethics whatsoever.
    • January 29, 2014 7:17 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Y'mean , like Roger Nellie?

• January 30, 2014 4:59 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Well, he's a hipster living in Shoreditch.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel