Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: was punk born in peru?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 15, 2013 4:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• August 16, 2013 2:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i WOULD'NT SAY LOS SAICOS INVENTED PUNK , BUT , THAT DOES'NT TAKE AWAY FROM THE FACT THAT THEY RECORDED AND PERFORMED SOME OF THE MOST DEMENTED SOUNDS ON EARTH UP TO THAT POINT.   BUT , THERE WERE A LOT OF TALENTED BANDS IN PERU DURING THE GARAGE-EARLY PSYCH PERIODS , THAT CUT SOME PRETTY CRAZY SOUNDS. SOUTH AMERICA AS A WHOLE AND MEXICO , TOO.

I bought Los Saicos' 10" reissue in '99 , and , later , the CD , because I found it cheap , and it had a few extra tracks.

• August 16, 2013 4:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

These documentaries and revisionist views of who invented punk (Death, Los Saicos) are just so much PR and enthusiasm from fans. Which is fine, but as John says above it doesn't matter - they were great bands, especially Los Saicos. Forget the hype - enjoy the music. And get ready for the Seeds doc. Now, there's a great, great band with no relation to punk and no one cares.

This post was edited by Jymn Parrett at August 16, 2013 4:36 PM CDT
    • August 16, 2013 8:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If it's a good film , with footage we've never seen , I'll always check out one of those rockumentaries on artists that , even after they've reformed , toured ,  been in major TV commercials , and had Henry Rollins claim to have discovered them , like the monks , they remain cult heroes . The Death film was VERY good , I thought , despite the obvious lack of period footage. It brought real emotion. I saw the Source Family /Ya Ho Wa 13 film , too. I thought it was very good , too. Let's face it , it's not a story either of us could have made up. Unfortunately , Sky Saxon is barely a footnote in the movie (or the book)  , but , yes , The Seeds are finally getting their due , with a full length documentary film to complement the amazing CD reissues. Still curious to see and hear how "Raw and Alive" turns out.

This post was edited by John Battles at August 16, 2013 8:18 PM CDT
    • August 16, 2013 8:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I really enjoyed the Death doc as well although I'm not nearly as smitten with their music as I am with Los Saicos'. BTW, the best music doc out there to me is still Beware of Mr. Baker, one of the funniest, most outlandish docs I've ever seen. I gained new respect for Ginger Baker's talent, and even if his personal life has been a mess, I couldn't help admire the guy.

This post was edited by Jymn Parrett at August 16, 2013 8:36 PM CDT
    • May 14, 2014 8:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That was cool I didn't know thier history. Thanks for posting

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel