Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: The World's Best Record Stores!

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 16, 2013 7:40 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Let's start with this list:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mariasherm/best-record-stores-around-the-world

I've been to a few of the ones on that list, and would have to add a few to it that got omitted, namely good ol' Goner Records in Memphis, the Record Exchange here in St. Louis, and, even though I've never been there, I can imagine that the Crypt store, Cool and Crazy in Hamburg, Germany, would be right up there, too.

What are your nominations?

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• August 16, 2013 9:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

hmmm... methinks they did all their research via the internet, and perhaps haven't actually visited any of these stores... At least, judging by their comments on Mississippi Records in Portland. It's an amazing store, but very small and rather specialized in their offerings. Their old blues reissues are highly recommended. "The largest record store in Portland is Jackpot." Uh, sorry but no, not by a long shot. If you're passing through the area, other must-see record stores would be Music Millenium (the oldest and largest indie shop), Jackpot (a hipster's wet dream), Green Noise (a garage punk mecca and home to Dirtnap Records) and 2nd Avenue Records (a little pricey, but STACKED to the rafters, and full of rare stuff you usually have to find online).

Glad to see Reckless Records (Chicago) on the list, they're incredible. For Chi-town shops, Dusty Groove probably should've gotten a mention too. And jazz hounds MUST visit Jazz Record Mart at least once in their lifetime - the largest collection of jazz records in the world, with stuff you could spend decades searching for.

• August 17, 2013 7:32 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

They have the wrong picture of Rough Trade East, they have Rough Trade West there which is a tiny shop, East is more modern in design and has a coffee shop in there and is a decent gig venue.

This post was edited by Danny at August 17, 2013 7:37 AM CDT
    • August 18, 2013 6:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

As a rule, I like my record stores to be primarily made up of vinyl, both new and used, with the used section trimmed of endless slabs of 1970s "Dad rock." Wuxtry in Athens, GA meets all my needs.  Also, if you have ever been a fan of college rock, you probably know that Buck met Stipe while working here. When I was in college, it employed Dangermouse and Elephant 6 members.  Thus, I was always appropriately intimidated while asking the staff for help.

This post was edited by Alison at August 18, 2013 6:59 PM CDT
    • August 20, 2013 11:06 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

As long as they have stuff like this, I'm happy

Picked up some classics at the KSFR book & record sale today

• August 24, 2013 4:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Danny said:

They have the wrong picture of Rough Trade East, they have Rough Trade West there which is a tiny shop, East is more modern in design and has a coffee shop in there and is a decent gig venue.

I regularly go there myself, the choice is excellent.

• August 24, 2013 9:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah its a decent shop, no second hand and they can be a wee bit expensive too, however I like that they stick a little synopsis of each individual album on their CD's and LP's, it helps when deciding to buy an album that I've never listened to before.  Its a shame I never visit it as much as I should as when I buy records I enjoy crawling through numerous shops so I head to Soho or Camden, no other record shops near Rough Trade :(

I should go back there next time I go looking for some new records as I'm listening to a lot of alt rock at the moment and they are well stocked in that genre.  And they seem to be the only record store in Lonodn which stock Thee Oh Sees LP's which has to be a plus.

This post was edited by Danny at August 24, 2013 9:37 PM CDT
    • August 25, 2013 11:05 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No used records at Rough Trade, eh? That's too bad, I usually spend 90% of my time in the used section. To my mind, a good used section is a sign of a good record store - it's much harder to keep a nice used section than to just order titles out of a distributor's catalog to keep the new stuff stocked. I'm guessing that, because of who they are, that Rough Trade does a good job of representing smaller labels and non-mainstream bands? Still saddened about half of the RT record label going to Universal the behemoth....

I've got another great shop for the "Best Of" list: Rock 'n Roll Heaven, in Orlando. Had a conference down there 10 years ago or more, and searched them out because they were the only ones in the area that had a website at the time (remember those days?). It's an amazing collector-based record shop, almost like a museum. I've never seen so many pristine rarities under one roof - priced accordingly, but how can you complain when the shelves are full of holy grails? I think I spent about $400 in an hour. Not sure if they're still the same or not, but they blew my mind back in the day.

• August 25, 2013 6:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

There are several decent record stores in Florida.  I wonder if it is due to all the retirees who pass away down there leaving old record collections behind.  Has anyone ever been to Bananas in St. Petersburg?  That place is massive!
      Audio Gasoline said:

No used records at Rough Trade, eh? That's too bad, I usually spend 90% of my time in the used section. To my mind, a good used section is a sign of a good record store - it's much harder to keep a nice used section than to just order titles out of a distributor's catalog to keep the new stuff stocked. I'm guessing that, because of who they are, that Rough Trade does a good job of representing smaller labels and non-mainstream bands? Still saddened about half of the RT record label going to Universal the behemoth....

I've got another great shop for the "Best Of" list: Rock 'n Roll Heaven, in Orlando. Had a conference down there 10 years ago or more, and searched them out because they were the only ones in the area that had a website at the time (remember those days?). It's an amazing collector-based record shop, almost like a museum. I've never seen so many pristine rarities under one roof - priced accordingly, but how can you complain when the shelves are full of holy grails? I think I spent about $400 in an hour. Not sure if they're still the same or not, but they blew my mind back in the day.

This post was edited by Alison at August 25, 2013 6:17 PM CDT

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel