Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: New Race Live Albums

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 23, 2013 3:26 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi fans of Radio Birdman, Stooges and MC5,

I have the New Race albums 1st To Pay and 2nd Wave but I've read somewhere on this forum of a 3rd album. The 2 I have are amazing so can anyone tell me anything about the other album which I have no info about?

Thanks

Ian

• October 25, 2013 4:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The LP , "The First and The Last" by The New Race came out not long after their one tour of Australia, and their only tour , ever. The band is not to be mistaken for Radio Birdman . They were 3 key ex - members ,  with special guests , Ron Asheton and Dennis Thompson. A CD reissue WAS RELEASED MANY YEARS LATER , with a couple of bonus tracks , that's true.    Revenge Records in France put out two LPs (One with Robert Mitchum on the cover , the other with John Wayne....I forget the titles , don't have 'em handy , right now.), later on , from two different gigs on that tour . I'm sure , they , too , could have been reissued with different titles , on CD . Not sure. THERE'S PROBABLY BOOTLEGS , TOO , THO' REVENGE HAS BEEN CITED AS AN ILLEGIT OPERATION , THEMSELVES (They have put out great stuff , tho').

• October 26, 2013 11:53 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Right, thanks. It's the Revenge albums I have with the Bob Mitchum and John Wayne covers and they are called 1st to pay and 2nd wave. They were on Spotify even which is where I first heard them.

Looking at the track listing for The 1st and the last it's made up tracks from the Revenge albums so I guess it's bits from 2 gigs. Sad; I hoped there was another recorded gig I hadn't heard.

I know it's not Radio Birdman but with 3 members playing in New Race and quite a few Birdman numbers I can't imagine any Birdman fans not loving New Race. It's the drums i love; Thompson is pretty full on. Having said that Ron Keeley is a magnificent drummer. It's just nice to hear the Birdman 3 enjoying playing with their heroes. 

Still haven't see Radio Birdman. Hope I get the chance one day.

• October 26, 2013 9:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i'M PRETTY CERTAIN ALL 3 OF THESE LPS WERE FROM DIFFERENT SHOWS. I FORGET IF EACH VENUE IS LISTED OR NOT....BUT , THEY SOUND LIKE VERY DIFFERENT SETS. NEITHER OF THE REVENGE SETS SOUND LIKE THEY CONTAIN EXCERPTS"THE FIRST AND THE LAST" TO ME. REVENGE'S MODUS OPERANDI IS TO TAKE PRIVATELY - OWNED RECORDINGS , LIKE THESE, AND MAKE THEM SEMI - LEGIT, THO' I DON'T THINK THE ARTISTS GOT PAID , OR , IF THEY EVER DID , IT WAS'NT MUCH. THERE COULD BE OTHE RRECORDINGS , STILL. I FORGET HOW MANY DATES THEY DID , BUT , THEY BULLDOZED THROUGH AUSTRALIA , THEN SPLIT. I WOULD IMAGINE SOMEBODY TAPED EVERY SHOW. I MISUNDERSTOOS WHAT YOU'D WRITTEN .  IT'S POSSIBLE SOME PEOPLE , NOT YOU , THINK NEW RACE AND RADIO BIRDMAN ARE ONE AND THE SAME. THEY'RE CERTAINLY ONE OF THE BETTER DETROIT HIGH ENERGY "SUPERGROUPS" , WITH , TECHNICALLY ONLY TWO AUSTRALIANS ON BOARD , AS DENIZ TEK IS ALSO FROM DETROIT. I SAW RADIO BIRDMAN WHEN THEY FIRST TOURED THE STATES , IT WAS SAVAGE ! BUT , A FEW YEARS LATER , I SAW POWERTRANE WITH SCOTT MORGAN (RATIONALS , SONICS RENDEZVOUS.) AND ROBERT GILLESPIE (MITCH RYDER , ROB TYNER) .THAT WAS THE EVER-LUVIN' SHIT !!!!   IT DOES'NT SOUND LIKE RADIO BIRDMAN IS GOING TO REFORM AGAIN , BUT , IF THEY DO , I'M THERE.

• October 27, 2013 8:56 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, I think John is right!  (So, I said "it's worth getting".)

The First And The Last - Recorded live at Selina's, Sgt. Peppers, Manly Vale Hotel and Crystal Ballroom, Apr & May 1981. Overdubs and mixing at Trafalgar studio, Sidney, Australia.

Chris Masuak extra guitar on "Columbia" & "Looking At You".  Pip Hoyle piano on "Descent Into The Maelstrom".

I've seen only the Iceman as a member of DKT/MC5.

• October 27, 2013 1:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Iceman? In Chicago , that's what they call Jerry Butler. You mean Dennis "AND BY THE WAY , WE WERE THE WORLD'S FORGOTTEN BOYS ! NOT THE STOOGES ! NOT IGGY THE FAGGOT !" Thompson , don't you? I got ya.   I only saw him , once , on that tour , too , and he had a single , not a double drumkit , and Wayne had a Fender , not a Marshall amp. Garage 101 , baby. I did see Michael Davis once , and Wayne Kramer , several times. I read in MOJO that he and Rat Scabies are working on a project with Wilko "FUCK CANCER !" Johnson.

• October 28, 2013 3:58 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

OK thanks for that everyone. I will look out for a copy most definately.

• October 28, 2013 4:07 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Am now listening on Spotify. A different recording truly and quite exciting for me!

• October 28, 2013 4:08 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sorry I meant Youtube

• October 28, 2013 10:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hmm, nope, John.  The Iceman is Deniz tek.

And thanks for the info about Wayne and Rat!

• November 6, 2013 9:58 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I did'nt see the picture oF DENIZ , EARLIER , THAT YOU PUT UP. That's great !

i WAS WORKING ON A LIST OF  Airborne Rockers , for Roctober magazine.

1) Deniz Tek. (USAF).

2) JOHNNY CASH (USAF)

3) Mark Griffin - MC 900 FT. JESUS , LITHIUM XMAS , TELEFONES  ( Commercial pilot. His career got cut short when low flying planes were prohibited after 9/11.).

4) The guy in Iron Maiden.

5) Wilko Johnson (For trying to fly a plane with no previous Pilot training.).

• November 7, 2013 8:35 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A bit of random trivia: did you know that the movie "Top Gun", was loosely based on the experiences of Deniz Tek as a jet pilot?  His callname, Iceman, also inspired some of the nicknames of the characters in the movie. 

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2013/05/15/deniz-tek-rocker-doctor-fighter-pilot-and-now-a-nomad/

Tek is truly an interesting and debonaire rock & roller. I've had the pleasure of hanging out with him many times; he often visits the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area where I live due to his history and friends and makes time to perform "homecoming" rock shows. He enjoys telling stories of his childhood spent riding his bike around town, etc. It is pretty cool, because when he visits, all the Detroit/Ann Arbor/etc. local legends come out of the woodwork and hang and catch the shows.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel