Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Favorite BRIEF band movie cameos ?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 11, 2013 3:34 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ever see a band or singer you love in a movie , but ,were frustrated that they went by so fast , BUT, appreciative that they were there at all?

Here's a few...

The Birds - "The Deadly Bees".

Teenage Head - "Class of '84". 

Screamin' Jay Hawkins - " American Hot Wax" (For more Screamin' Jay , in champion form , look for the movie , "Joey".)

The Leaves - "The Cool Ones" - Better than most cameos , but still too short.

anyway , I'll think of some more. Just trying to help get Psychotronic Culture up and moving around , again.

I can think of better topics , and I'm sure you can , too.......  

• December 18, 2013 7:03 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well ,I waited , I dunno , twentysomething years to see "Angels From Hell", standard Biker fare , no real surprises (Except that it's MGM , not AIP). It was just recently re - released to DVD ( I don't think it was EVER released , commercially , on video.). The reason it's of interest to any Garage Rock fan worth their salt is that THE LOLLIPOP SHOPPE have two songs !!!! BUT....Fred Cole once explained to me that he was not allowed to be shown singing his own songs , because if he were shown lip - synching his own words , as is usually the case , MGM would have had to have coughed up a SAG (Screen Actors' Guild) card , which would make him (Gasp !) an Actor. Anyway , as I understood it , The Lollipop Shoppe ARE in this movie , and Fred is visible , only when he is'nt singing.......Well , you can hear one song , briefly , and see other members of the band , for about 5-10 seconds. I think Fred and band got a little more screen time on "Mr. Madison Avenue" , an outstanding slow/fast punker , but it does'nt appear on this new DVD.

COLE GOT SCREWED IN THE MOVIE , "HYPE !", TOO , BUT DEAD MOON MADE THE MOST OF THE ONE MINUTE OR SO (OR LESS?) THEY APPEAR IN THE FILM.

• December 21, 2013 9:21 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was flipping channels over the summer & a local station was running all those Frankie & Annette Beach movies ... Wow! it was cameo central.  Dick Dale, Stevie Wonder, The Castaways and tons more.  Tapeheads (w/ John Cusak & Tim robbins) is filled w/ cameos ... Jello as an FBI agent, Mike Nesmith, Stiv Bators and more.  Highway 61 is another oddball cameo flick ... Jello & Tav Falco are a few I remember.

Lunch Wagon features Missing Persons.  And I figure you've seen Beyond The valley of the Dolls ... Strawberry Alarm Clock.

• December 21, 2013 11:32 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's the best reason to watch those Beach Movies....But , Boris Karloff , for one , had a CAMEO ( Bikini Beach , I think....). Buster Keaton , I think , hada cameo in another, even tho' they were both in "Ghost In The Invisible Bikini" , as I recall...But , a lot of those bands got to pretty much do one or two songs in their entirety. Too bad , Dick Dale seemed exclusively contracted to do lame vocal numbers. I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT A CHEAP vhs COPY OF TAPEHEADS IF i'D KNOWN ALL THOSE PEOPLEHAD CAMEOS...... I had NO IDEA  Stiv was in it....I only ever knew him to "ACT"IN  "POLYESTER " , in which he was great....I JUST FOUND A COPY OF "aMAZON Women on The Moon" ,I had no idea all thee people were in it.....

Antenna was showing "It's a Bikini World " with Sid Haig , the Animals , Pat and Lolly Vegas (I think?) , and The Castaways , and I'd just got  a new - old VCR , and was only able to hook it up properly to tape part of it. I'm pretty sure I still have a copy....somewhere.

Oh , yeah...."Beyond" is an all - time classic. Wink and you'll miss Pam Grier. I THINK"i'M cOMING hOME " was the best thing the Strawberry Alarm Clock ever did....But that whole soundtrack was genius.   Some of Russ Meyer's stars came out of Grade - Z Beach movies , too. Michael Blodgett and Lori Williams both appear in "A Swingin' Summer" with Raquel Welch , Gary lEWIS AND tHE pLAYBOYS

YBOYS (actually frat - rockin' , pre - fame.), A STILL - ROCKIN' rIGHTEOUS bROS , AND , i THINK, tHE RIP CHORDS. SHOT ON A LAKE IN Jersey or Connecticuit or somewhere , gotta love it.

But , the Beach Party Movies were like the Happy Hunting Ground for aging legends - kEATON , kARLOFF , Rathbone , Vincent Price , who eally was'nt very old , mid - 50's or something......

• May 12, 2014 2:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I liked the appearance by Sparks in "Roller Coaster," a 70s thriller about a psycho sabotaging roller coasters.

• May 12, 2014 3:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good call , MikeL . I remember seeing that on TV and not knowing who Sparks were  except that I'd seen them a couple of times in Circus magazine.

If you're a Plimsouls fan (Always been on the fence with them. Saw them in '81 , and made a mental note to see them again if I had the chance. 25 years later, when I had that chance , for almost 30 bucks , I said , that's OK.....) , you should see "Valley Girl" (You should see it , anyway , it's a dumb fun teen comedy that tries to make a statement .....But  a young Nicholas Cage as an LA Punk Rocker is laughable at best. )....Tho ' there's is'nt a cameo , they get decent- sized screen time , as does Josie Cotton , VOTED "BEST DRESSED WOMAN IN ROCK'N'ROLL" in CREEM for refusing to look like a bleached - blonde skank-ing mantis.... 

GAYE ADVERT - about 10 seconds , "The Punk Rock Movie".

THE SEEDS - "PSYCH OUT "- Same deal as their pals , The LOLLIPOP SHOPPE. THEY ARE'NT IN THE MOVIE LONG ENOUGH (Though long enough ,I guess , to not be called a "Cameo" by most.)  , AND SKY SEEMS TO BE DIRECTED NOT TO LIP-SYNCH SO HE WON'T GET A SAG CARD , THO' I USED TO THINK IT WAS THAT HE WAS TOO STONED.   Of course , he got to lip - sych "Pushin' Too Hard" and actually say a few lines in his endearing mumble'n'bumble patter on the TV show "The Mothers In Law". 

Chocolate Watchband - "The Love - ins". Their MUSIC is all over this picture , but the band is only visible from the back , and once , in a full - screen shot , for mere seconds. When I interviewed Dave Aguilar in the 90's , he told me he hated "Riot On sUNSET sTRIP" so much ,he neve rbothered seeing "The Love - Ins" ( I mailed him a copy.).  He later told another interviewer , the reason the CWB is shown so briefly in teh movie is that they were being made an example of , for all the pranks they pulled on the set. 

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel