Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Roky Erickson + Black Angels Tour

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 25, 2014 8:39 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm pissed because I just missed out on tickets to the St. Louis show. Couldn't believe it's sold out already, ugh!

Anyway, here are the tour dates. Don't be a DOPE like ME and snooze/lose...

01/31 Lawrence, KS - Granada *
      02/01 St. Louis, MO - The Firebird *
      02/03 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue *
      02/04 Madison, WI - Majestic Theatre *
      02/07 Newport, KY - Southgate House *
      02/08 Cleveland, OH - Beachland Ballroom *
      02/09 Detroit, MI - Magic Stick *
      02/11 Toronto, ON - Phoenix Concert Theatre *
      02/12 Montreal, QC - Corona Theatre *
      02/14 Washington, DC - Black Cat *
      02/15 Pawtucket, RI - The Met *
      02/16 Philadelphia, PA - Union Transfer *
      02/20 Asheville, NC - The Grey Eagle *
      02/21 Nashville, TN - Mercy Lounge *
      02/22 Atlanta, GA - Terminal West *
      02/24 Orlando, FL - The Social *
      02/25 Miami, FL - Grand Central *
      02/26 St. Petersburg, FL - State Theatre *
      02/28 Houston, TX - Fitzgerald's Upstairs *
      03/01 Dallas, TX - Granada Theater *

* with Black Angels

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• January 26, 2014 2:20 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nice to see he's on the road again! Too bad he's not coming to CA. Maybe I can travel... I'd love to see him!

• January 26, 2014 5:33 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bummer Kopper! I think there was supposed to be a Chicago date there some time in Early Feb as well? Surely someone in Garageland can find the Kopp a tickie? :D

• January 26, 2014 6:10 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No European dates yet? Hmmm

Love Roky's record with Okerrvil River!

• January 30, 2014 4:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Chicago gig is at Park West , Feb. 5.     I said it before , but , I can't believe Roky is getting second billing. I don't know how long he's playing , maybe that was a deciding factor. He did'nt get top or equal billing to "Overrated Unanimous" - Alejandro Escovedo , Rosie Flores and Butch Hancock , either, but , they only let him do two songs , when some people came specifically to see HIM (BTW , Alejandro is a very nice guy. Wish I got it wih his music , like 2/3rds of Chicago.).

But , Kopper , I would put out an APB , somebody might have an extra ticket , or you might be able to score tix the night of the show. You never know.

BTW - If you don't see your city on this list , it's probable (And hopeful) that Roky will regroup with his official backing band , and , arguably , his best , since The Explosives , Hounds of Baskerville , after Kaylee , Keyboardist , and Jegar , band leader and Roky's Son  , get some parenting in. Their Son is due to be born in about two months. Jegar jokes about a Devil child , when , of course , that baby is going to be so beautiful , it should be blinding. Oh , yeah , Lucifer was , too , scratch that.

But , seeing as how this is a package tour, I think (But can not confirm.) that if and when Roky rejoins some version of The Hounds of Baskerville and commences with a headlining tour (He does'nt normally tour with other bands , unless they're backing him , which Black Angels have , and will be , on this tour.), obvious spots like The West Coast should eventually be covered. Likewise , I would think , for Europe , but , again , I'm only speculating.

• January 30, 2014 9:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Roky IS touring with The Hounds of Baskerville as his backing group , it turns out. Black Angels are doing their own set , that's it. I forgot their name , but , there's a third band , too, Golden Animals or something.....

• February 24, 2014 1:01 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Roky's set was an uncontested triumph. Black Angels were a bit on the annoying side. All about the gear and the big computerized light show. They can PLAY , it's not that , but that Spacemen 3 - Scientists feedback thing is kind of old , now..... They were fine , if taken in 5 - 10 minute intervals. But , they're still no Lithium Xmas or Peyote Cowboys , to be sure. For the younger set , they were the stars of the show , but , Roky and The Hounds of Baskerville laid down the original Psych , with smatterings of Horror Rock classics , and the Super Punk put - down , "Don't Slander Me" . He was singing at his peak , or close to it , most of the show , and the band killed it.

• February 25, 2014 7:02 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I saw Roky on the same bill as Black Angels during SWSW. Both were great. That was the first time I'd heard the Angels, though my daughter already was a fan. No computers, no light show ( it was outside during the afternoon)
    • February 25, 2014 10:42 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

How long ago was this? Some people have told me they were better when their first album came out. i HEARD IT AT THE TIME , THOUGHT IT WAS OK.  But , The bLACK aNGELS have a decidedly younger crowd , that's cool. Us old fucks came to see Roky , bu t, i stuck around to see if THE B.A.s were up to the hype I'd heard......Did'nt DO IT FOR ME. bUT , IT'S REALLY HARD , FOR ME , TO ASK ANYONE TO FOLLOW ROKY. I usually have to leave the room , or the area , if it's outdoors , after he plays.THE ONLY BAND I EVER SAW FOLLOW HIM AND POSSIBLY MATCH HIS STRENGTH WAS ? AND tHE Mysterians at The Ponderosa Stomp , and they were playing at the TOP of their game that night ......

• February 26, 2014 1:50 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Roky 2008

It was 2008. Roky did play last. (It was billed as "Roky Erikson's Ice Cream Social") great show. I enjoy the Black Angels, but my favorite of the new psychedelic bands is The Night Beats.

This post was edited by swt at February 26, 2014 4:54 PM CST
    • February 26, 2014 2:20 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Looks like he's having another icecream social at Threadgill's during sxsw. Bad news is that it conflicts with Bloodshot records party at the Yard Dog. Donor want yo miss Barrence Whitfield or The Waco Brothers
    • February 26, 2014 4:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Barrence is the first artist on Bloodshot I've cared about in yonks. It's too bad he has to go up against Roky , but ,I GUESS IT'S RARE , NOW , that there would'nt be fierce competition for someone you or I would want to see. I have'nt been to sxsw since 1993. Saw all the acts I wanted to see , inc. Roky's first comeback attempt show , no overlap , spent a total of eight dollars on shows. Thta was a LOOOOOONG time ago. Tho' bands like The Nervebreakers usually do free shows at the same time , not tied in with sxsw.

• February 26, 2014 4:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Steve , was this "H" Salon ad I'm getting related to your message about The Night Beats ? Or is it possible I'm getting more spam (Which would NOT be your doing , of course.). I know you probably don't know what I'm off my head about , THIS time.......I'M NOT HEARING A LOT OF NEW PSYCH THAT'S DOING IT FOR ME , BUT , I'M A CROTCHETY OLD MAN.......A lot of stuff that's popular , here , is more influenced by Japanese Noise Psych , which is not my thing.

• February 26, 2014 4:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Now that's weird! I was trying to post from my iPad a picture I took of Roky back then. Have no idea where that ad came from. Tried to edit it but it won't go away.

Let's see if it works here

• February 27, 2014 12:48 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

IT WORKS. That's a great picture....The ad is'nt showing , here , anymore. 2008?That's when Roky was between bands. He played out with a band that had no name, and The Black Angels and Okkervil River backed him , until he finally setled on Hounds of Baskerville. This current tour has to be grueling ,esp. in this weather , bu t, they wap it up in Florida !  Roky is doing a LOT of ELEVATORS songs.....We never thought we'd see the day...........

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel